UPenn 2014 cycle updates!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just as an FYI to everyone: They'll probably have several days of small animal/exotics/whatever interviews and only 1 day of equine interviews and 1 day of food animal interviews. So, if you put food animal or equine as your primary interest, and you haven't seen New Bolton, do NOT get stressed out! Chances are, you'll get to interview out there. Last year, Equine day was February 13 (but I know they've changed the interview schedule around a bit). The interview days tend to be a mix of OOS and IS applicants.

Make sure you talk to the students on your interview day ;)

Congrats to you folks with interviews! PM me if you have any questions about the school, etc.

Members don't see this ad.

Agree w/ Shanomong! :)

My interview literally lasted for 16 minutes. We talked about what books I had read, what I did for fun, what activity I missed the most, etc. I also asked my interviewer if he had "just a PhD". Oops. Fortunately, he laughed as I scrambled to apologize. Just be yourself, and show that you have a sense of humor. People before me were asked ethical questions, but I wasn't.

The students that you'll meet from our class are great, as are the older folks.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hm, nothing out of Penn today?...I was hoping for another round of interview invites :(

Hm, nothing out of Penn today?...I was hoping for another round of interview invites :(

I'm guessing they've already contacted everyone they're planning on inviting to interview on 12/11, since I remember reading somewhere that interview notifications are sent at least 2 weeks in advance, and this past Friday was the 2 week mark for 12/11. I think they only have only early interview day in December, and the rest will not be until February - however this is all purely speculation on my part based on what little I know about past years, so who knows. :oops:

This is directed at Ben and Me and anyone else in the know-So, UPenn has dates for each area of concentration for interviews, right? Like small animal, food animal, etc. Ok. So some people have heard back from them concerning interview dates-there's one 12/11. for those that heard back, what was your top choice you put on the sup ap? Do we know how many dates there are/what each date is themed for (equine, exotics, etc)? Thanks

I have an interview 12/11. I believe I put my top choice as Lab Animal Medicine, then large/food animal. Weird combo, but I assume then that it's small animal and/or research?

I dont think you should worry too much about your area of interest. I believe there is a clearly designated "large animal/equine" day of interviews that takes place at New Bolton, but all the other interview days are a mix of interests.

It should also be noted that on my interview day last year there were a couple large animal people who for assorted reasons could not be scheduled on the large animal days, so even that is not set in stone.

Perhaps one of my more in-the-know classmates will chime in with the lowdown for this year, but I dont think anything has changed.

Carry on with your obsessive worrying.

Carry on with your obsessive worrying.

Lol, thank you for the permission. :D and I'm sure all of us would love to know if you guys at penn happen to hear when the next set of interview letters go out.

Lol, thank you for the permission. :D and I'm sure all of us would love to know if you guys at penn happen to hear when the next set of interview letters go out.

Agreed!

I love that this board gives us the "inside scoop" on everything. I think I'd REALLY go insane without it (as opposed to slightly crazy).

check those emails! Just got my invite for Jan 8th!

Members don't see this ad :)
What did you three have as your area of interest?

I was small animal, with research as a second choice. On the interview invite, it mentioned tours of the small animal facilities too.

Oh ok...so not pony day!

Good luck guys and congrats!

quantized, are you awaiting "pony and moo-moo day" too?

I also listed small animal clinical practice (ECC, specifically) as my predominant interest.

quantized, are you awaiting "pony and moo-moo day" too?

Yes indeed....although I prefer my cattle on a bun with cheese. Or helping me with fondue. Mmmmm fondue!

But seriously, yes I'm waiting for large animal day with impatience!

I feel the same way about cows (love cheese). Hopefully they are making that date later so that the people visiting New Bolton don't get attacked by a blizzard or something like that and can actually go outside to see things. Last year it was one of the later ones so :xf: that patience pays off

Grumble - nothing yet! Those of you who heard today, are you IS or OOS applicants? This process is painful!

I'm OOS, and i'm pretty sure everyone thus far has been OOS (someone correct me if i'm wrong).

Does anyone laugh that the number of people reading this thread is currently over 3100-more than the number of people applying to UPenn? I, too am ANXIOUSLY awaiting anything! An email, a phone call, a letter...It's like UPenn is a sucky boyfriend or something...and the rest...I also compulsively check this thread to see if any Mixed Animal/Food Animal/Research people have heard anything....you haven't right?

Those of you who heard today, are you IS or OOS applicants?

Although I'm currently living in PA, I am a permanent resident of NY and thus OOS. Hang in there... it's worth the wait! For those still waiting to hear, my fingers are crossed for you! :xf:

Does anyone laugh that the number of people reading this thread is currently over 3100-more than the number of people applying to UPenn? I, too am ANXIOUSLY awaiting anything! An email, a phone call, a letter...It's like UPenn is a sucky boyfriend or something...and the rest...I also compulsively check this thread to see if any Mixed Animal/Food Animal/Research people have heard anything....you haven't right?

There's only 8 people CURRENTLY reading the thread - the number on the page where it's linked is how many people have read it overall. :)

I have no idea if VMSTP people are going to hear differently than VMD applicants. Either way I am not holding my breath.

GOOD LUCK Minnerbelle, Gella, turnbackhelly and DickVet!!!! I love when people who are great contributors here are successful. :luck: :thumbup:

I can't believe I'm already freaking out! I really hope everyone is correct about the equine hopefuls interviewing later in the process!

Sweet, thanks for the answers, guys! Can't believe the first bunch of you are heading to interviews in only 3 days! You'll all do amazing!

Good luck guys!

Nyanko, I think I account for at least 20 of those views.

I listed equine first, mixed second, SA third, and haven't heard a word other than that my file is complete. I keep telling myself not to expect anything til at least mid January (I've heard they do equine day mid-February), but darn this is nerve-wracking!

Does anybody know whether we'll be getting any more information regarding how to dress, and any other details like that? Maybe i'm off here, but I sort of remember hearing that the Penn interviews were really relaxed, and that we shouldn't be wearing suits. Is this more like a khaki/button down situation (I'm a guy, but you get the idea)?

Last year Penn interviewed IS and OOS all mixed in together. Remember that their interviews are very spread out and don't lose hope if you haven't heard yet.

Do wear suits.

I'm pretty sure I put Research, Exotics, and Lab animal as interests.

is it really bad that I'm not certain? I mean, I know those are my 3. I just can't remember if I put them all down.:confused:

I definitely said Research, I know that. :oops:

Does anyone know if Penn's interview invites are affected by your fall transcripts? As in, if you still have fall transcripts pending will they wait to send you an invite until they are turned in and you're app is then considered complete?

Also, does anyone know a good time to call Penn's admissions office. I had to submit some stuff by mail, have the mail received verification thingy that someone signed for it, but wanted to make sure that it made it to my file. (freaking out can you tell?) But every time I call them (usually between 11am and 3pm) I get kicked to their voicemail system. I'm going on about 20 phone calls now, I've left 3 voicemails, and 1 email and no response......

Sadly it is hard to get in touch with Penn even after you're accepted.

I'd go with early in the morning.

Cool, thanks! I may try calling them first thing in the morning from work. :D

I think in years past, it's been that for the most part LA/Equine were separate so they could go tour New Bolton, but everything else (research/SA/wildlife/public health/lab animal/spirochete/amoeba/whatever) was sort of all put together on the other days, so all that'd really matter as far as dates was if you put down LA or Equine.

I think in years past, it's been that for the most part LA/Equine were separate so they could go tour New Bolton, but everything else (research/SA/wildlife/public health/lab animal/spirochete/amoeba/whatever) was sort of all put together on the other days, so all that'd really matter as far as dates was if you put down LA or Equine.

spirochete/amoeba :laugh:

now that's a way to stand out and get noticed :idea:

Does anyone know if Penn's interview invites are affected by your fall transcripts? As in, if you still have fall transcripts pending will they wait to send you an invite until they are turned in and you're app is then considered complete?

Although I don't know for sure, my guess is no. Penn is expecting a fall transcript from me, but I got an invite today. However, I am done with all of my pre-reqs and just taking upper level courses this semester - for what it's worth.

Although I don't know for sure, my guess is no. Penn is expecting a fall transcript from me, but I got an invite today. However, I am done with all of my pre-reqs and just taking upper level courses this semester - for what it's worth.

I'm pretty sure the answer is no. I also have to send transcripts (grades don't come out for two weeks or so). Also, I have physics II to complete next semester, so I don't think having an outstanding pre-req or two makes a difference.

GOOD LUCK Minnerbelle, Gella, turnbackhelly and DickVet!!!! I love when people who are great contributors here are successful. :luck: :thumbup:

Aww thanks nyanko! I'll definitely be sure to let you all know how it goes down on Fri. I'm worried that out of sheer nervousness I'm going to accidentally pick my nose in front of the adcoms or something... :p and I swear, I'm not a nose picker!

I'd imagine that whether or not they're going to wait on fall transcripts depends on how strong of an applicant you are. If you already have a 3.9 and are finished with your pre-reqs, that fall transcript probably doesn't matter too much. But, if you're finishing up with Organic or another major class this semester, they'll probably want to see how you're doing. This is just a guess on my part.

DickVet, the interviews out at New Bolton were slightly more relaxed last year because we were tromping around outside. The folks interviewing in Philly should be wearing a suit and tie (or the equivalent if you're a lady). If you are interviewing out at New Bolton, your interview invitation will include a note that it is more casual attire. If it doesn't include that note, I'd expect to wear a suit! Basically, go with a suit unless you hear otherwise from the admissions folks!

Please don't be too nervous. It is a fun day! :)

DickVet, the interviews out at New Bolton were slightly more relaxed last year because we were tromping around outside. The folks interviewing in Philly should be wearing a suit and tie (or the equivalent if you're a lady). If you are interviewing out at New Bolton, your interview invitation will include a note that it is more casual attire. If it doesn't include that note, I'd expect to wear a suit! Basically, go with a suit unless you hear otherwise from the admissions folks!

Please don't be too nervous. It is a fun day! :)

Ahh, ok thanks, that must be what I was thinking of. Suit it is, then!

Thanks a lot, Shanomong, Ben and Me, and vnair2 for the insight and encouraging words! I'm SUPER excited for my interview in Janurary - especially because I was once a grad student at Penn and I truly miss the school. It will be great to be back there, even for just the day (and hopefully more than that... :xf:)!

Good luck to everyone who is interviewing this Friday!! Can't wait to hear how it goes!

Last edited:
Where is my thank you? I demand an edit.

ps.

Good luck.

I am so excited for all of y'all tomorrow! I think we'll be in histo review all afternoon, but hopefully I'll see a few groups of you!

GOOD LUCK! Don't forget to eat lunch! And have fun! :) Let me know if you have any last minute questions!