UPenn 2014 cycle updates!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Holy crap I completely lost track of the day, and forgot that a bunch of you will be heading to penn tomorrow!

Hope you all do awesome! Good luck!

Members don't see this ad.

Good luck to everyone interviewing tomorrow! You're going to do great! :luck::luck::luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
welllll?!

Sorry, anxiously waiting to hear how it all went down.

Last edited:
more details later but it went really well! sad news is this yr they're not calling admitted students. apparently it got awkward during happy hrs when some students got called and others didn't

yay minnerbelle i'm glad it went well for you. i can't wait to hear about it!!!

Haha, did they really say that's why?? They were still in the room making decisions around 7:30-8pm tonight... I don't think people really ever found out during happy hour.
:scared:

So do you guys get emailed the same day or are they completely revamping the system?

I'm pretty sure they said not over the weekend.... but def within 2 weeks. They said we'll probably hear around Christmas time, but I'm not sure if that's when they're notifying everyone.

P.s., I only say this because you mentioned you're Asian... are you the girl I met at Saxby's this morning?

Yep! haha, it was really nice to meet you (if only briefly... but I thought it would be like super awkward for me to be like "hey, I'm minnerbelle by the way") and yea... there were 3 Asian girls there including myself today. I kinda knew that anonymity was out the window as soon as I disclosed that I was Asian since Asian + my background I'm pretty sure it's very easy to piece together.

now going off to bed before i get up at 6 am to make that Ohio interview :eek:. i just hope i'm not like :sleep: by the time my interview time rolls around...

hope you had a great histo review and good luck on your finals!

LOL sorry Shanomong / Minnerbelle for not introducing you properly. I didn't want to do it by your SDN names but I also didn't want to pre-emptively reveal anyone's identities!

Ya we did meet from SDN... my fiance called and I was like, "Oh yeah I'm having coffee with a girl I met on the internet." Didn't think I'd ever say that sentence!

Good luck to all the Penn interviewees!

if you don't mind, what was the interview like? i don't mean you have to give specifics, but was it more personable/standard interview questions or did it incorporate more animal/veterinary aspects--like asking you to name 5 breeds of cattle or something (i remember a thread to this effect...and, not going to lie, the thought of being "quizzed" like that made interviewing seem even more nerve wracking!).

thanks!

Hey Ya'll! I just joined SDN! My dream is to go to Penn and I am really hoping that I hear from them soon about an interview. I am really interested in small mammal med and I figure that you are too Bunnity. Any advice on the process and surviving your first semester? I have heard how hard it can be- I would like to know what I am getting myself into lol.

Welcome, and actually I didn't survive my first semester and am taking a leave of absence. But some other SDNers survived first semester Penn: Shanomong, Ben and Me, dgm, tpad40 are a couple.

Take a look at the interview feedback section of this web site. It is up at the top, and has "reviews" of interviews for all the schools - what type of things they ask and so on. That should help you prepare for the interview.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not ready to claim victory over the semester just yet. There are still anatomy and histo exams to be dealt with. And no advice from me on how to survive, because I haven't totally figured it out yet. I think everyone just has to get thrown in and flail about for awhile until we learn to swim...

ME TOO!!!! Yaayyyy! Congrats Minnerbelle!

:soexcited:
:soexcited: Wooohooo! Congrats to both of you! But sheesh, stop taking up all the acceptance spots! ;)

awww congratulations!! Wow that is just fantastic. I'm so happy for you guys!!

A big congrats to both of you! :D I hope we'll see you in the fall! Please let me know if you have any questions, or if you'd feel more comfortable, I can put you in touch with the students that you met during your interview day!

I can't wait to see the next round of interviewees in January! I hope everyone is getting excited!

Wow!!! Congratulations Minnerbelle!! Now you just have to decide between Upenn and OSU!!!! :D

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So excited for you!

Got my thanks-but-no-thanks from the VMD/PhD program today. It doesn't even say anything about the VMD admissions process though, but at least it's a much more polite kiss-off than I got from Davis two years ago or from CSU last month. ;)

Got my thanks-but-no-thanks from the VMD/PhD program today. It doesn't even say anything about the VMD admissions process though, but at least it's a much more polite kiss-off than I got from Davis two years ago or from CSU last month. ;)

aww i'm sorry nyanko! but penn was one of the schools that you weren't even sure you wanted to apply to right? Penn just knew you were too good for them anyway!

i have good feelings about Davis coming your way!

Congratulations to those accepted!
And sorry to hear that nyanko - I wanted a Steelers watching buddy. On the bright side, you won't have to live in Philadelphia!

Congrats guys! How exciting!!! :D:D:D And nyanko- Davis wants you for sure, we all have a feeling ;)

Sweet! Check those e-mail inboxes! Just got my interview invitation for January 15th. :) And for those keeping track, I listed mixed-animal, small-animal, and pathology as my interests, and I am an in-state student.

Count me in for a Jan 15th interview too! I'm so excited!!! I'm OOS and listed zoo/wildlife and small animal as primary interests.

See you both there! I got the 15th too! I listed SA, exotics and wildlife and I'm OOS

Congrats NittanyKitty, Mad Penguin, and lalzi22!!!! :clap:

Best of luck to you all!

Out of curiousity, has anyone gotten an interview invite through snail mail from Penn? So far they have only contacted me through snail mail and I don't know whether to be more nervously watching my inbox or my mailbox....

Out of curiousity, has anyone gotten an interview invite through snail mail from Penn? So far they have only contacted me through snail mail and I don't know whether to be more nervously watching my inbox or my mailbox....

Thats strange, I haven't gotten any snail mail from any of my schools...what did your snail mail letter say? if you don't mind me asking? was it a version of what we've all gotten via email? (ie. Acknowledgment of application, saying application is complete etc?) maybe they don't have an email address for you? I'm stumped

I got a letter asking for additional application materials, and I got a second letter stating that my application was complete. That's been it so far.

I know my email was on my application because some of the other schools have contacted me that way.

Congrats on all the interviews!!! Very exciting - future classmates?!

I'll make sure to update interview feedback soon, but I did get a lot of the same questions that are already up there, so start preparing! It is pretty relaxed, but I wouldn't say my actual interview was as casual and conversational as some peoples were. Good luck!

Who'd you end up having? It's funny, one of my friends and I had the same interviewers (different days) and I thought they were fantastic, she felt berated the whole time... I wonder if it just ends up depending on what kind of day they're having...

Oh it wasn't that bad - I definitely wouldn't say I felt berated! Just grilled a little more than a lot of people seemed to be - no "fluff" questions about sports or movies! I didn't feel super comfortable walking out of the interview - but I guess it worked out!

Oh it wasn't that bad - I definitely wouldn't say I felt berated! Just grilled a little more than a lot of people seemed to be - no "fluff" questions about sports or movies! I didn't feel super comfortable walking out of the interview - but I guess it worked out!

I totally agree with you there absvet. I felt my interview wasn't as conversational and relaxed as I'd liked. Many people were saying the interview went really well, and I just got more nervous. Some of the questions they asked me threw me off a bit even. But ultimately, I guess it wasn't as bad as I thought. :)

Good luck on the interview for all the interviewees!!!

Duh! I just remembered the whole thing about equine people going later, so I can calm down a LITTLE about not getting an invitation yet. A little.

Congratulations to all of you who have invitations and acceptances so far!

Just received an e-mail today about an interview on 1/22! I'm so pumped! Honestly, I'm a little surprised that I'm interviewing in the city--I put down equine as first choice (with an equine-related personal statement, too), SA as second (no third choice on their app). For those wondering, I'm IS.

So for those of you who already had your interviews at UPenn...

what kind of photo did you bring to your interview??
I keep stressing that I will forget to bring a pic at all...and actually I totally forgot I would need one until today!! (my interview is this Friday :scared:)

Did you take a picture just for this purpose? did you use something you had? ugh. its so silly to stress about but I'm already kinda of stressing about this interview. I feel like years in the lab has ablated my social skills.!

I keep stressing that I will forget to bring a pic at all...and actually I totally forgot I would need one until today!! (my interview is this Friday :scared:)

Did you take a picture just for this purpose? did you use something you had? ugh. its so silly to stress about but I'm already kinda of stressing about this interview. I feel like years in the lab has ablated my social skills.!

They ask you to bring a photo of yourself to the interview? Do all schools do this? Is the purpose so they can remember your interview better by putting your face to the notes they made?

I was going to use a 4x6 picture of me, but I realized I didn't have any pictures of just me by myself :laugh: so I decided to go get my picture taken (i took a passport sized photo)

Best of luck to you on Friday!!!

wow i'm really glad you made that post, because I also totally forgot about the picture. I was thinking about going somewhere where they do passport photos, and getting 5 or 6, since alot of schools seem to want us to bring a picture to inviews. They usually say no larger than 3 x 5, so a 2 x 2 passport photo should do the trick.

I'm super nervous about my interview this Friday as well. Does anyone know how many interviewees are invited to each session? I'll be the average-tall dark haired guy who is noticably handsome :smuggrin:, in case people are into the "identifying random SDN'ers" game.