This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cristinayang16

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So by the end of my junior year I should have around a 3.4 cumulative gpa. I know that is very low but I had messed up my freshman year really bad( I was having health issues and such) plus I had to retake organic chem. Ever since I had a pretty high upward trend by having mostly As or A-s my sophomore year and that is what I am expecting my upcoming junior year as well. I heard upward trends are good but will my overall cumulative 3.4 ruin my chances at any MD school? Also, I have taken practice MCATs so far and have gotten a 515 and am hoping to improve by at least a couple of point before I take it in January.

Members don't see this ad.

Well you could plan a gap year and apply after you graduate. That way you would have three years of As and I doubt anyone will notice your first year.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app

With a smart list, you'll be fine. There are med schools that reward reinvention.

So by the end of my junior year I should have around a 3.4 cumulative gpa. I know that is very low but I had messed up my freshman year really bad( I was having health issues and such) plus I had to retake organic chem. Ever since I had a pretty high upward trend by having mostly As or A-s my sophomore year and that is what I am expecting my upcoming junior year as well. I heard upward trends are good but will my overall cumulative 3.4 ruin my chances at any MD school? Also, I have taken practice MCATs so far and have gotten a 515 and am hoping to improve by at least a couple of point before I take it in January.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
See box in upper left corner. This is from 2013 AAMC survey* where 127 medical admissions offices responded

*https://www.aamc.org/download/434596/data/usingmcatdata2016.pdf
see page 3 (pdf p7) Table 1. Mean Importance Ratings of Academic, Experiential, and Demographic Application Data Used by Admissions Committees for Making Decisions about Which Applicants to Receive an Interview Invitation and Offer Acceptance (N=127)

View attachment 207760

thank you so much this was so helpful!

With a smart list, you'll be fine. There are med schools that reward reinvention.
Is there any specific schools that you can think of that like reinvention that would be okay with my stats?

thank you so much this was so helpful!

I agree, but don't get complacent and count your chicks before they hatch. Keep going at it hard, try for a 4.0 the next two semesters with a heavy course load and knock the MCAT out of the park. If you begin to feel like academics are slipping, don't be afraid to slow down and take a gap year.