Mar 28, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
So by the end of my junior year I should have around a 3.4 cumulative gpa. I know that is very low but I had messed up my freshman year really bad( I was having health issues and such) plus I had to retake organic chem. Ever since I had a pretty high upward trend by having mostly As or A-s my sophomore year and that is what I am expecting my upcoming junior year as well. I heard upward trends are good but will my overall cumulative 3.4 ruin my chances at any MD school? Also, I have taken practice MCATs so far and have gotten a 515 and am hoping to improve by at least a couple of point before I take it in January.

candbgirl

Gold Donor
10+ Year Member
Jul 14, 2005
Status
Well you could plan a gap year and apply after you graduate. That way you would have three years of As and I doubt anyone will notice your first year.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app

gonnif

Only 389 Days Until Next Presidential Election
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status
Non-Student
See box in upper left corner. This is from 2013 AAMC survey* where 127 medical admissions offices responded

*https://www.aamc.org/download/434596/data/usingmcatdata2016.pdf
see page 3 (pdf p7) Table 1. Mean Importance Ratings of Academic, Experiential, and Demographic Application Data Used by Admissions Committees for Making Decisions about Which Applicants to Receive an Interview Invitation and Offer Acceptance (N=127)

277 MCAT Student Selection 2014 - mcatstudentselectionguide-page-012.jpg

Reactions: TXMED_1695

Goro

7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
With a smart list, you'll be fine. There are med schools that reward reinvention.

So by the end of my junior year I should have around a 3.4 cumulative gpa. I know that is very low but I had messed up my freshman year really bad( I was having health issues and such) plus I had to retake organic chem. Ever since I had a pretty high upward trend by having mostly As or A-s my sophomore year and that is what I am expecting my upcoming junior year as well. I heard upward trends are good but will my overall cumulative 3.4 ruin my chances at any MD school? Also, I have taken practice MCATs so far and have gotten a 515 and am hoping to improve by at least a couple of point before I take it in January.

OP
C
Mar 28, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
See box in upper left corner. This is from 2013 AAMC survey* where 127 medical admissions offices responded

*https://www.aamc.org/download/434596/data/usingmcatdata2016.pdf
see page 3 (pdf p7) Table 1. Mean Importance Ratings of Academic, Experiential, and Demographic Application Data Used by Admissions Committees for Making Decisions about Which Applicants to Receive an Interview Invitation and Offer Acceptance (N=127)

View attachment 207760
thank you so much this was so helpful!

Oct 26, 2015
Status
Medical Student
thank you so much this was so helpful!
I agree, but don't get complacent and count your chicks before they hatch. Keep going at it hard, try for a 4.0 the next two semesters with a heavy course load and knock the MCAT out of the park. If you begin to feel like academics are slipping, don't be afraid to slow down and take a gap year.

Goro

7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
Come back when you have an MCAT score.
With a smart list, you'll be fine. There are med schools that reward reinvention.