SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

UQ-Ochsner 2019 Cohort

Discussion in 'Australasia and Oceania' started by avhopeful, Jan 13, 2018.

1. ER747

ER747

Jun 17, 2017
    Anyone else get an II but, when attempting to schedule, were prompted to register for the waitlist as all interview dates were filled? Any idea when they will open up? And how quickly they'll be full?

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Whats uppp

Whats uppp

Oct 6, 2017
    Same, got the II like 2 weeks ago, but was waitlisted since then, not sure, feel like we're fine, cause they fill up their class september/octoberish

4. Whats uppp

Whats uppp

Oct 6, 2017
    Are you waitlisted for both the on-site and skype?

5. Rhandhali

Rhandhali UQ-Ochsner Alumnus 10+ Year Member

Jan 19, 2006
    New Orleans, LA
    Depends on what you mean by worth it. You will be given the chance if you do your part, and it is a big part, at getting a US medical residency in some field or other. It's a good chance so far. If you're practicing as a physician in the US you will be able to pay the loans off one way or another. That being said If you aren't walking in prepared to put in a lot of work and a lot of time and end up washing out, like some people do, you will have ruined your life with debt you will never be able to discharge.

6. retiltxet

retiltxet That Guy! Physician 10+ Year Member

Dec 24, 2007
    TBH this doesn't really matter if you think about it. During your residency (and even if you wash out) you're still eligible for IBR (income based repayment) and will eventually have your loans forgiven after 20 years. Even if you only earned 50k the rest of your life you'd pretty much pay back a fraction of your loans anyways. There is a tax hit for the forgiveness if not done through PSLF, but this isn't relevant to this discussion.

7. Whats uppp

Whats uppp

Oct 6, 2017
    That actually makes me feel much better about the financial area in this program, thanks! Hopefully now they put more interview dates up or someone leaves theirs lol Heard great things about UQ grads

8. lowriskchestpain

lowriskchestpain

Jul 20, 2017
    Anyone else interviewing in-person on 2/23?

9. ER747

ER747

Jun 17, 2017
    I'm not exactly sure as this is for a friend but she is waitlisted for 22/23. She didn't even have a chance to register for any of the two dates as they were full.

10. AspriningPsych

AspriningPsych

Sep 16, 2017
    The other MD programs I've interviewed at are close to 60K now. This program is expensive, but not much more so than the American average, except certain in-state programs.

11. Whats uppp

Whats uppp

Oct 6, 2017
    True, really doesn't make a difference at this point. How was the interview btw? Did you hear back yet from them?

12. Whats uppp

Whats uppp

Oct 6, 2017
    Same boat, feel like there are a lot of interviewees waiting for the open slots to open up, hope its sooner than later, otherwise we might not even get to interview before they fill up their class.

13. AspriningPsych

AspriningPsych

Sep 16, 2017
    I interview later in February.

14. Whats uppp

Whats uppp

Oct 6, 2017
    Hey guys! I was wondering if anyone else is still waiting on any interview dates to open up, or heard anything yet from them?

15. ER747

ER747

Jun 17, 2017
    My friend is still waiting.. have you tried calling/ emailing them?

16. Whats uppp

Whats uppp

Oct 6, 2017
    I did, still waiting, but alas, nothing yet

17. Vinny15

Vinny15 2+ Year Member

Apr 10, 2014
    Does anyone know the difficulty of matching competitive IM specialties (i.e. Cardiology, gastro, oncology) being a
    UQ-O grad? Does the fact that you are considered and international grad make matching exceptionally more difficult?

18. sean80439

sean80439 5+ Year Member

Apr 14, 2012
    Those are fellowships - different basket altogether; however, and this is from my knowledge just speaking to others that have gone through the fellowship matching process: fellowship match really doesn't take into account your med school. What they care about is your performance in residency.