UQ-Ochsner 2019 Cohort

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

avhopeful

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here's a new thread for those interested in or applying to the UQ-Ochsner Program, 2019 entry cohort.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I’ll be applying in May upon the completion of Spring grades! Taking MCAT this Saturday, 1/20

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I got an email from MededPath informing me that the application for 2019 is open and it looks like the minimum MCAT score will increase from 502 to 504 for this cycle.

Has anyone completed their application? If yes, have you been able to schedule an interview?

Do we know when the new requirements were confirmed last year?

Do we know when the new requirements were confirmed last year?
I was told a few weeks by one of the admission counselors like about a week ago.

Also, given that they have a 2019 cohort admissions webinar on 22nd this month, I'd say they'd most likely have minimum requirements set by then. If not, it would be a good question to ask during the webinar.

It'll probably be the same B average with 504 this year instead of 502. I wish they'd just give a GPA though because sometimes it's 2.67 and sometimes its 3. Im at a 2.9. But I heard they do a weird thing to weigh your senior years of college more in your GPA so maybe that might put me over the 3 if that is, in fact, what the requirement is.

It'll probably be the same B average with 504 this year instead of 502. I wish they'd just give a GPA though because sometimes it's 2.67 and sometimes its 3. Im at a 2.9. But I heard they do a weird thing to weigh your senior years of college more in your GPA so maybe that might put me over the 3 if that is, in fact, what the requirement is.
Last year *3 + 2nd to last *2 + 3rd to last all divided by 6.

Members don't see this ad :)
How much is total COA (Cost of Attendance) expected to be? I heard they were raising tuition but also curious about living expenses in Brisbane. Probably something to worry about if I get accepted lol, but it'd be nice to know.

Does anyone know how much the deposit is to reserve your seat and when it has to be paid. Also can you get a refund if you get a US acceptance
I believe deposit is 3k and you have to pay for the health insurance for 51 months (i think. not sure. could be 48 months) at the same time before you get your enrollment letter (or something of sorts). I think people have reported as much as 6k for both deposit and insurance.

Insurance can be refundable. Not sure about the deposit though.

So I have a 3.1285 GPA (Ulcers really got me hard during my undergrad...) and a 504 MCAT, would anyone recommend me applying this cycle or wait until my new grades in May post, which should be around 3.25 GPA? Also, anyone know if the MDOschner program lets you practice in all 50 US states?

So I have a 3.1285 GPA (Ulcers really got me hard during my undergrad...) and a 504 MCAT, would anyone recommend me applying this cycle or wait until my new grades in May post, which should be around 3.25 GPA? Also, anyone know if the MDOschner program lets you practice in all 50 US states?

I thinks it’s better to apply in May with the better GPA. They interview and don’t fill up class till September. And yes you can practice in all 50 states.

I thinks it’s better to apply in May with the better GPA. They interview and don’t fill up class till September. And yes you can practice in all 50 states.
But wouldn't it be harder to be granted a spot if applied later when everyone else applies, maybe some even getting higher MCAT's?

I say just go ahead and apply! It’s not much of a difference that one semester is going to make. Have solid personal statement and rock your interview

Can any Ochsner students or grads give us an idea of what years 3 and 4 are like in New Orleans?

Can any Ochsner students or grads give us an idea of what years 3 and 4 are like in New Orleans?

Pretty much exactly like every other US MD program. You do rotations home and away (mostly home). The only major difference is that grading is specific to UQ standards and they don't use the shelf exams to determine your grade.

Pretty much exactly like every other US MD program. You do rotations home and away (mostly home). The only major difference is that grading is specific to UQ standards and they don't use the shelf exams to determine your grade.

Thanks for your reply. Is there a lot of time for electives 4th year? Other MD schools I've interviewed at seem to have up to 6 months.

Is matching into Psych pretty doable if I'm a fairly smart person? Thanks for answering all of my questions.

Psych is not considered competitive - and the Psych program at Ochsner interviews all UQO students (per a conversation I had with the PD).

If I remember correctly from the grapevine, any UQO student is guaranteed an interview at Ochsner for any specialty they choose. (UQO calls it a "courtesy" I believe) Now matching is a different matter, but if you apply to them you will get an interview.

If I remember correctly from the grapevine, any UQO student is guaranteed an interview at Ochsner for any specialty they choose. (UQO calls it a "courtesy" I believe) Now matching is a different matter, but if you apply to them you will get an interview.
Nope, not true. At least not anymore.

Anyone have the link to the webinar tonight? Never got placed on the listserve.

I would say apply earlier rather than later if you meet their cutoffs. Their classes have been filling up faster and faster each year and you definitely have a better shot the earlier you apply. They care more about your MCAT anyway because GPAs can vary so much across schools and more subjective metric due to grade inflation and because UQ doesn't know how to read American GPAs. UQ-O really wants you to do well on step and take it on time after 2nd year, and the higher your standardized testing scores (i.e. MCAT) the more likely you are to do well in their eyes on future standardized exams. This is one of the reasons they keep raising their MCAT minimums each year rather than their GPA.

Thanks for your reply. Is there a lot of time for electives 4th year? Other MD schools I've interviewed at seem to have up to 6 months.

They are potentially changing things up in the future to give people more elective time in 4th year by shortening the Australia rotation but thats not a done deal. There's always a lot of coordination to go through on the UQ side and with the Australian medical regulatory agencies due to maintaining accreditation over there.

Technically half of 4th year is elective because you "choose" a medical speciality and surgical speciality to do as part of your 4th year rotations. You might be thinking of "away" rotations? We are allowed to do 1 away from Ochsner in 4th year plus an additional one over xmas break if you want to (which is an additional 2 months of potential elective time- encouraged for those seeking competitive residencies but not required. Some people just use that time to study for step 2 or even step 1 if they haven't taken it by then). But a 4th year student is better equipped to answer that for you since I only started 3rd year and am not as familiar with those ins and outs.

I would say apply earlier rather than later if you meet their cutoffs. Their classes have been filling up faster and faster each year and you definitely have a better shot the earlier you apply. They care more about your MCAT anyway because GPAs can vary so much across schools and more subjective metric due to grade inflation and because UQ doesn't know how to read American GPAs. UQ-O really wants you to do well on step and take it on time after 2nd year, and the higher your standardized testing scores (i.e. MCAT) the more likely you are to do well in their eyes on future standardized exams. This is one of the reasons they keep raising their MCAT minimums each year rather than their GPA.

Is early May too late?

They are potentially changing things up in the future to give people more elective time in 4th year by shortening the Australia rotation but thats not a done deal. There's always a lot of coordination to go through on the UQ side and with the Australian medical regulatory agencies due to maintaining accreditation over there.

Lol UQO say this EVERY year. I feel like it's one of those talking points that if they repeat it enough, people believe it's true. Don't bet the farm on it.

It'll never happen. The AMC wants a certain amount of time for us to be working in the Australian health care system before they will grant us the degree. Although it's a pain in the butt, it really isn't all that bad and makes for interesting interview discussion. Not everyone does aways for all of 4th year - so just pick a rotation to do down there that you would do at your home institution.

So the letters of recommendation for this program are listed as optional. Have people gotten in without any LORs? Even if it's not required, is it a bad sign if one applies with no LORs?

I don't think they play much of a role. I didn't apply with any. From my understanding they keep them in your file for future reference but don't use them for admissions decisions. You can double check with mededpath what role they play exactly.

I don't think they play much of a role. I didn't apply with any. From my understanding they keep them in your file for future reference but don't use them for admissions decisions. You can double check with mededpath what role they play exactly.

Thank you!!

Random question here. With this degree being awarded in Australia, would this offer up more opportunities to potentially practice abroad, like Europe for instance? How does residency play into this?

How hard is it to get an interview date? Is it only once a month for two dates until the class is full?

How much is total COA (Cost of Attendance) expected to be? I heard they were raising tuition but also curious about living expenses in Brisbane. Probably something to worry about if I get accepted lol, but it'd be nice to know.
I read somewhere its around 67k-70K a year in this program, somewhere on the Mededpath website, not sure though

For those wondering about cost I graduated in 2014. I currently have somewhere in the neighborhood of 470k in debt. This includes accrued interest. Approximately 40,000 of that, less than 10%, is from a post-bacc program I did before medical school. The rest is all UQ-O tuition and cost of living loans. The cost of the program has gone up since I graduated.

UQ-Ochsner is expensive. You will walk out with a very high loan balance.

Reactions: 1 users
For those wondering about cost I graduated in 2014. I currently have somewhere in the neighborhood of 470k in debt. This includes accrued interest. Approximately 40,000 of that, less than 10%, is from a post-bacc program I did before medical school. The rest is all UQ-O tuition and cost of living loans. The cost of the program has gone up since I graduated.

UQ-Ochsner is expensive. You will walk out with a very high loan balance.
Is it hard maneuvering through it, as you are/did go through it? Like is the MD degree from UQ-O worth it to be able to pay it off?

Anyone else get an II but, when attempting to schedule, were prompted to register for the waitlist as all interview dates were filled? Any idea when they will open up? And how quickly they'll be full?