UQ-Ochsner 2021 Cohort

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
How long did it take for people to receive their CoE from UQ?

Members don't see this ad.

Approximately how long is everyone's exemption letter? And what points are you including

Members don't see this ad :)
Which study toys for online learning? Just curious because I will likely do the same. Also submitted my financial aid request.
For desk stuff, I got a wireless keyboard/mouse combo and a laptop riser. I don't have a desktop pc, so I just cleaned/swapped laptop internals, set up cloud back-up for future peace-of-mind and slapped a portable second monitor on top.
Approximately how long is everyone's exemption letter? And what points are you including
The exemption letter is a full page that includes your name/student ID and describes how UQ wants to put you in Queensland hospitals to learn. Problem is, so far nobody in the 2021 starting cohort has reported success after including the letter in their travel exemption requests. And an unsubstantiated but otherwise credible rumor is that exemptions have only been granted to 4th year students but we likely will not get it.

Reactions: 4 users
I submitted my deposit paperwork + wire transfer on Friday the 6th and received the CoE on the following Tuesday, so it wasn't a very long wait.

Where did you get the exemption letter from UQ? Do we have to request it from someone?

Reactions: 1 user
I submitted my deposit paperwork + wire transfer on Friday the 6th and received the CoE on the following Tuesday, so it wasn't a very long wait.

Where did you get the exemption letter from UQ? Do we have to request it from someone?
Nah they just automatically sent it to us, but you can just email them and ask and they'll probably send it to you. The email it came from is [email protected]

Edit: also welcome to UQ Ochsner

Reactions: 1 users
Did anyone have issues with the fingerprint card for FBI background check? I tried to do mine myself, but it was rejected :/

Did anyone have issues with the fingerprint card for FBI background check? I tried to do mine myself, but it was rejected :/
If you used the form to submit your prints, it's a bit telling that the advice document has more instances of incorrect examples that correct ones. Ink can be finicky, smear, smudge, coat unevenly, etc. Getting them done electronically is the better option since they can re-do on the spot and you hear back faster.

Btw, do you know if we email our FBI and pre-check background checks to UQ?

• Hmm
Luckily, I've had some experience with this stuff (not specifically for fbi, but same process) and knew it was just better to make the trip to do it electronically, so I did mine at the post office yesterday and got my results the same day.

If you do decide to ink it, make sure you press hard and curve your fingers from left edge to right edge. When I did it on paper some time ago, it got rejected twice before it got accepted the third time. I was told it was commonplace.
If you used the form to submit your prints, it's a bit telling that the advice document has more instances of incorrect examples that correct ones. Ink can be finicky, smear, smudge, coat unevenly, etc. Getting them done electronically is the better option since they can re-do on the spot and you hear back faster.

Btw, do you know if we email our FBI and pre-check background checks to UQ?
Good question, but my guess would be no since I think the pre check goes directly to the school and the fbi one is most likely for the us government so they know we are studying in Australia. Might be smart to ask and send anyway though

The UQ website says "A scanned copy of the check(s) must be submitted to the Faculty of Medicine as soon as possible and prior to the commencement of semester one, year one. " So they probably do need it, but it's not clear how they want it. Many of the other items on the list must be uploaded to Blackboard so I'm wondering if we will need to do the same for the background checks.

• Hmm
The UQ website says "A scanned copy of the check(s) must be submitted to the Faculty of Medicine as soon as possible and prior to the commencement of semester one, year one. " So they probably do need it, but it's not clear how they want it. Many of the other items on the list must be uploaded to Blackboard so I'm wondering if we will need to do the same for the background checks.
Speaking of which, do you guys have access to blackboard because I can't login to mine and I was wondering if I've just been locked out for some reason or if we just don't have access yet

Last edited:
Their Blackboard is learn.uq.edu.au right? I was able to login by clicking learn.UQ in the my.uq portal, but the only thing there right now is UQ Workplace Inductions and OHS Training, which is just the basic stuff everyone has to do like mental health/wellbeing, sexual harassment, lab conduct etc

Im going to hold off on the Blue Card for now, I went ahead and completed the cpr/firstaid training.
Did you do the Heartsaver® First Aid CPR AED Online course for the first aid/cpr requirement?

Members don't see this ad :)
For anyone who wasn't able to make the webinar today, here's an overview of what I thought was important:
  • Hopeful for 2 main routes to travel to Australia.
    • Working on a managed program/corridor for international students working with State/Federal government. UQ has made medical students their top priority. They hope that some of this work will pan out in time for start of Semester 1 or soon thereafter. They referenced a pilot program in Northern Territories to bring students back that's going well, and the government is evaluating plans to expand. Waiting for more info from them.​
    • If this doesn't work out, make an exemption request. This route is still open, we're all still encouraged to apply. Students from certain countries have received approvals, but they didn't mention which countries.​
  • Planning for online learning. 8 AM-10 PM Brisbane time are teaching hours, we must be available during that time but of course are not required to attend the whole time, this is the window of time during which items might be scheduled. In general, expectation is that we spend 35-40 hours per week in learning or teaching activities, split between self study and planned sessions. Evening classes may occur but will be kept to a minimum. More details will be provided once they know how many students will be online. Lecture recordings will be available. CBL/clinical coaching groups will be either all in-person or all online. Once we return, we will be allocated to in-person group. Online sessions will be planned to be reasonable hours for us.
  • Overall, they're hopeful that everyone will be able to arrive on or before 1/15. There is a plan to bring students who cannot enter to NOLA for 3 day opportunities as part of the medical society. Day 1 will include Ochsner orientation, society orientation, tours of Ochsner facilities, and a simulation(?). Days 2 and 3 will be CBL for IM and IM specialties, with a goal of jumpstarting CBL learning in person. We can meet faculty, society heads, upper level students.
  • We will soon get a link to an online form, which will ask are we planning to start online. This will help them to plan/allocate places. We need to keep them updated if we get exemption. A welcome pack will be on the way via email containing tasks that need to be completed prior to arrival. Orientation week begins 1/25. This will be online if needed, and more information will be sent to the student email acct.
  • Overnight some new exemption request functionality was added, they can provide more info in the next couple hours (I'm not really clear what this is about). If we get an exemption, we should come ASAP and update them with our plans as flights are limited and waiting could mean significant delays. Financial assistance is available up to A$2,000 for quarantine. All medical students to enter so far have come through another city (Sydney, Perth, Adelaide), quarantine happens in that city and then fly from there to Brisbane.
  • If we arrive during Semester 1, a transition period will be needed between online and in person. During quarantine, we will remain in online learning but due to the date certainty for quarantine end they can plan for a transition to an in-person group right as we arrive in Brisbane.
  • Everyone should have access to Blackboard now, if not contact the med.inquiries email. We should start working on compulsory program requirements, and they will provide additional updates regularly. CPR/First Aid can be addressed upon arrival, but it would be best if we can get it done in advance.

• Care
  • Love
Reactions: 6 users
@Wolvvs thanks so much, I saw it was on the 3rd AEST and assumed that meant american eastern time :bang:

• Sad
Wow @Wolvvs I created one too but yours is much more detailed. Bravo and remind me to ask you for notes if I ever need it in the future haha

Wanted to add when you update, make sure it's the medical student support team. Also the orientation as you can probably assume is online and therefore won't be as social. To make up for it omsa and uqms are going to try to host more social gatherings.

Most importantly about the people getting exemptions. A little birdie told me that one of them was actually a first year in our class, but it is unknown whether that person was in the US at the time of approval.

Any other things I can think of I will later edit onto this post

On positive related news, the Travel Restrictions page appears to have included another category to individual exemptions (I bolded for emphasis):
  • a student in your final years of study of a medical, dental, nursing or allied health profession university degree, where you have evidence of a confirmed placement in an Australian hospital or medical practice which commences within the next two months

An update about the CDU students in the Northern Territory, 63 returned this week (source). This explains a little bit of the optimism on display during yesterday's town hall. However this article says that Queensland (the state) hasn't announced a timeline for international students to enter and the state premier (equivalent to a parliament-chosen governor? idk) isn't happy that newly detected covid cases have been from people in hotel quarantine and her tweets are flexing hard on the US.

1607061122855.png

Since I hope to receive my visa soon, I was looking at the exemption form. What exactly do we need to say in the personal statement/statutory declaration section? Also, what address did people put for the intended Australian address field? I honestly haven't even started looking at places to live in Brisbane. And I might have missed this on the webinar but are we supposed to apply under the critical skills or compelling/compassionate reason section?

I think we should be applying under compassionate reason. The address can just be the UQ faculty of medicine address, and the declaration is the explanation of how you fit into the criteria.

I was wondering whether anyone knows what this means. In the email they sent us, it says this:
Option 1: Interrupt (pause and retain your place in the MD Program) your studies and return in Semester 2, 2022. During this interruption you will have the opportunity to enrol in the Graduate Diploma^ or Graduate Certificate^ in Public Health.

^ The Graduate Diploma or Graduate Certificate in Public Health option would allow you to articulate to a Master of Public Health in the future.

What does articulate mean in this context? Honestly it wouldn't be a bad idea to use the time to get an MPH if we have to defer but I don't know what would be involved with turning the diploma/certificate into an MPH.

I think it means being allowed to Master's-out similar to grad school except we'd be expected continue with med school afterwards. Articulation - UQ

I think we should be applying under compassionate reason. The address can just be the UQ faculty of medicine address, and the declaration is the explanation of how you fit into the criteria.

I was wondering whether anyone knows what this means. In the email they sent us, it says this:

What does articulate mean in this context? Honestly it wouldn't be a bad idea to use the time to get an MPH if we have to defer but I don't know what would be involved with turning the diploma/certificate into an MPH.
Okay so in UQ they have two degrees for public health. The graduate diploma of public health which is 1 year in length and an mph which is 1.5 years in length

What I think they're trying to say is that you can start your graduate diploma if you have to defer a year and that will also apply to your mph if you decide to go for that later. It's basically just adding on more coursework. Up to you if you find this worth it. I think there's quite a few 1 year mph programs in the US as well though.

What is this Blackboard stuff? I thought I was on top of all my checklists, but I don't see a separate Blackboard of any kind.

What is this Blackboard stuff? I thought I was on top of all my checklists, but I don't see a separate Blackboard of any kind.
Blackboard is at https://learn.uq.edu.au/ and is referred to as learn.UQ, not as Blackboard which is a bit confusing.

After you log in, go to the MD Community Site on the right side of the page, open up Year 1, and go to Upload documentation. It asks you to upload your BLS/first aid cert, your criminal history check, and your Queensland health forms.

Reactions: 2 users
Blackboard is at https://learn.uq.edu.au/ and is referred to as learn.UQ, not as Blackboard which is a bit confusing.

After you log in, go to the MD Community Site on the right side of the page, open up Year 1, and go to Upload documentation. It asks you to upload your BLS/first aid cert, your criminal history check, and your Queensland health forms.
Sweet, thank you! Some of these I've sent already, but I guess I'll have to do it again? And the places to attach files seem a little bit squirreled away, I haven't really found them.

1607550831586.png

This is actually a link, not a header. If you click on it it will bring you to the place to upload your stuff

Possible dumb question but on the Student Orientation Checklist, are we supposed to fill out the "Infected health care worker - student responsibilities" section as well, right? Also, how's everyone feeling?

Last edited:
I think that section gives you your responsibilities if you become infected, not only if you're already infected. Could be reading it wrong though.

Do you mean feeling about getting started soon? Definitely excited to get going (finally). Canquito I remember you mentioned you had to reapply because you weren't able to finish your undergrad in time, so you must really be ready to start! I'm still hoping that the work UQ is doing with the Queensland government will pan out, but I think realistically we'll be starting online.

@Wolvvs I'm both nervous and excited. All these requirements coming out of the woodwork and the silence so far sours a bit of the fun, but it's still fun nonetheless.

@Damson
Nobody on the fb group has been successful. Someone shared a detailed reply they got from a border officer.
If you choose to make another request for travel exemption, please include in that request:
  • Evidence of current enrolment in a University in Australia in their final two year of a medical, dental, nursing or allied health degree (see definition of allied health professionals below); and
  • Evidence of current sponsorship/support from the University in Australia; and
  • Evidence of confirmed placement in an Australian hospital or medical practice which commences within the next two months.

Looks like the CBL schedules were released which is cool! Enrolment and timetable

Does anyone know if preferencing a spot at PA vs RBWH will affect the spot we get put into if/when we go to Brisbane in person?

I'm wondering what'll happen if we don't show up by semester 2

Mandatory deferral? Online delivery?

I'm wondering what'll happen if we don't show up by semester 2

Mandatory deferral? Online delivery?
If you can't make it to Brisbane by semester 2, you have to do the online "Graduate Diploma or Graduate Certificatei inPublic Health" for a year until you can arrive in Brisbane in 2022 to resume Semester 2. Or you can exit the program completely but you'll lose your spot and have to reapply/interview as a new applicant.

• Wow
  • Sad
If you can't make it to Brisbane by semester 2, you have to do the online "Graduate Diploma or Graduate Certificatei inPublic Health" for a year until you can arrive in Brisbane in 2022 to resume Semester 2. Or you can exit the program completely but you'll lose your spot and have to reapply/interview as a new applicant.

that public health thing seems pretty cool

Looks like the CBL schedules were released which is cool! Enrolment and timetable

Does anyone know if preferencing a spot at PA vs RBWH will affect the spot we get put into if/when we go to Brisbane in person?
Make sure you look at the online CBL schedules though because we are most likely not going to be there for at least part of next semester

As far as I know the hospital thing is mainly just a location preference. I was told they might have the cbls and clinical stuff on different dates but that's mainly because of the timetable.

Anybody else kinda worried about the rapid rise of inflation for housing when we get there? I'm kinda worried it's inevitable since most of us are going to be coming all at once and the market is pretty low right now

If we get there before the rest of the international cohort (not just med, also other graduate/undergraduate) then I think we're going to be able to get a good deal on housing. But even if not, I think that international enrollment is likely to be down and other programs aren't going to be requiring students to rush back ASAP like ours is, meaning that overall demand for housing will be lower than on a normal year anyway. But I don't know for sure how things will work out, hopefully it won't be too hard to find a good apartment...

Hey everyone, looks like the compulsory program requirements website has been updated with info about the new process for applying for a blue card. I emailed UQ and confirmed that you must be physically present in Queensland before you can begin the application process (unless you already have a Queensland driver's license). So it sounds like there's nothing really we can do about the blue card until we get there.

Hey everyone, looks like the compulsory program requirements website has been updated with info about the new process for applying for a blue card. I emailed UQ and confirmed that you must be physically present in Queensland before you can begin the application process (unless you already have a Queensland driver's license). So it sounds like there's nothing really we can do about the blue card until we get there.
When do you think is the earliest that will be (i.e. physical presence)?

The OSHC is a flat fee for all 4 years (edit: I mean one fee covers all four years) and is a requirement for applying for a student visa. You could wait, but that would be risky and you'd only be saving a couple hundred US dollars. And I remember someone mentioning there may be a way to get a refund for time not in Australia, not 100% sure on that though.

Yes there is. I graduated from the program. You can apply to get a refund for the 2 years you spent in the U.S.

I’m getting vaccinated on Monday but haven’t even applied for a visa yet because I’ve been waiting on my new passport. Do you think being vaccinated would help with an exemption once I receive my visa?

I’m getting vaccinated on Monday but haven’t even applied for a visa yet because I’ve been waiting on my new passport. Do you think being vaccinated would help with an exemption once I receive my visa?
That's really cool. I don't see how it couldn't help you since your "risk to the Australian community" would pretty much be nil after. Congrats and happy holidays.

No way to know without asking. More interestingly: How in the world are you getting access to a vaccine this early?

(Also, your passport # shouldn't change, so you can apply for a visa as is iirc)

No way to know without asking. More interestingly: How in the world are you getting access to a vaccine this early?

(Also, your passport # shouldn't change, so you can apply for a visa as is iirc)
I’m doing research within a COVID testing clinic so am interacting with 100+ people a day but I just got my passport today and the number did change 🤷🏽‍♀️ Fingers crossed for a quick turnaround. How long did it take those of you who have your visa already?

I actually dont know if the vaccine would help yet. I could still technically transmit the virus even after getting vaccinated since it doesn’t protect those who don’t yet have antibodies. Also just learned that even when you have antibodies you can carry the virus in your stool or under your fingernails etc 😅so It may be easier to go there if the majority of people in Bris are also vaccinated... I will ask someone though and report back

Last edited:
Any luck on travel exemption after your vaccine?

I received the Pfizer vaccine two weeks ago and re-applied for a travel exemption. They still denied my request... At this point, I think they are quite strict on allowing only the Year 3 and 4 students to enter Australia.

• Sad

I received the Pfizer vaccine two weeks ago and re-applied for a travel exemption. They still denied my request... At this point, I think they are quite strict on allowing only the Year 3 and 4 students to enter Australia.

Let's hope they aren't too strict with that last part >.<

I think we'll have to see how their policies evolve over time. It's likely there's a specific policy in place that immigration officers must follow with regard to international students, and that policy hasn't yet been changed. It could be because there's a desire to wait and see first how things go with the vaccine, or it could be just because decisionmakers are out on vacation for the holidays and will evaluate in January. Hopefully we'll know more in a few weeks!

I just got it today so haven’t tried yet but that’s sort of what I expected :/