Urgent Advice/ Help Needed for Undergrad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sleepyincan

DW_Forthefuture
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, while I would love to get into detail about my life, I feel that it is better to make my situation and question/concern short and sweet.

I am a rising sophomore student currently majoring in Biology. I am highly interested in Osteopathic medicine and Allopathic medicine, I lean more towards osteopathic but I don't have too much of a preference because of similarities. At my university, there a 1 year accelerated nursing program which allows you to get a BSN in your last year, which I am going to apply to next up coming Spring. With this program, I will graduate with my Biology degree one year early, and filling my last year with the BSN. Now my main questions and concern:

1. If I apply to medical school, would it be wiser to do so after or before completion of my BSN? Also to make clear, I am applying to the program to obtain a BSN for future career alternatives and I feel this is a great opportunity to expand my knowledge about health, science, and medicine.

2. If I do wait until after obtaining by BSN, would that be considered a "gap year"? Although I was still in school?

3. Does this look bad, good, or does not apply, for med school applications and interviews? Hence, should I even go for a BSN if I am thinking of applying to medical schools and pursuing medicine?

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

I absolutely would not go for the BSN despite the way it fits in your schedule. It will not be viewed favorably to be pursuing this while you apply. It looks too much like you are not committed. You will be questioned about it along the way. You do not plan on being a nurse so do not get a nursing degree that you will never use. You won't be training as a nurse outside of the degree - somewhat similar to getting an MD (or DO) and then never going through any residency.

Your nursing education will not overlap in a significant way with your physician education.

EDIT: I would either stretch that degree to 4 years and pick up another minor or two (or even take your final semester part time and have some fun) OR I would finish it and then embark on some type of actual gap year.

Reactions: 1 user
Why the hell are you applying to nursing school if you want to go to medical school? Does this make any rational sense to you?

Members don't see this ad :)
Do NOT do this.

Reactions: 1 user
Why the hell are you applying to nursing school if you want to go to medical school? Does this make any rational sense to you?

Hello, thank you,
I did say, in question 2, why I am also thinking of obtaining a BSN (not applying) . " Also to make clear, I am applying to the program to obtain a BSN for future career alternatives and I feel this is a great opportunity to expand my knowledge about health, science, and medicine."

But from other responses, I think I get the hint now! Thank you.

I absolutely would not go for the BSN despite the way it fits in your schedule. It will not be viewed favorably to be pursuing this while you apply. It looks too much like you are not committed. You will be questioned about it along the way. You do not plan on being a nurse so do not get a nursing degree that you will never use. You won't be training as a nurse outside of the degree - somewhat similar to getting an MD (or DO) and then never going through any residency.

Your nursing education will not overlap in a significant way with your physician education.

EDIT: I would either stretch that degree to 4 years and pick up another minor or two (or even take your final semester part time and have some fun) OR I would finish it and then embark on some type of actual gap year.

Hello. Thank you. I was thinking almost everything you have said, all I needed was a second opinion and more thoughts on this.

BTW, where are you attending medical school right now?