This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Porcelain Gallbladder

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am an final year international medical student, willing to pursue IM residency.
My quick question is which one is better:
1. Total 2700$ for 8 weeks - to work with a cardiologist and a gastroenterologist at a private clinic 4 weeks each- total 8 weeks.
2. 5250$ for 8 weeks to work at FIU, Miami.

I am getting hands on at both clinic and FIU, so is it worth spending extra 2500$ on FIU. As far as I know both are considered USCE. Note again I am still a student and not a graduate.
Please help guys. I would really appreciate your help.
Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

You won't get much hands on at FIU unfortunately. I think it largely depends on the specialty and the doctor you have, but international students are strictly regulated in Florida and you won't be much more than an observer, no matter what they say. The thing is, FIU is a university affiliate, and you *SHOULD* get a letter with a Uni letterhead which will matter more than some random private clinic. If you have a tight budget, obviously go with what is cheaper. I doubt this decision will affect your residency chances significantly, score above average on boards and get some LORs from American physicians and hope for the best.

I am an final year international medical student, willing to pursue IM residency.
My quick question is which one is better:
1. Total 2700$ for 8 weeks - to work with a cardiologist and a gastroenterologist at a private clinic 4 weeks each- total 8 weeks.
2. 5250$ for 8 weeks to work at FIU, Miami.

I am getting hands on at both clinic and FIU, so is it worth spending extra 2500$ on FIU. As far as I know both are considered USCE. Note again I am still a student and not a graduate.
Please help guys. I would really appreciate your help.
Thanks.
Are you the Caribbean or Non-Caribbean IMG?