URGENT PLEASE HELP! UCLA to UCI Transfer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Anonymous.2

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello. I'm a first year at UCLA. I did well my first quarter; however I do not believe this school is the right place for me. I truly wish to transfer to UCI. I am currently planning on sticking it out the rest of this year and transferring. However, would this be looked down upon by medical school admissions committees and therefore hurt my chances later on? Any former med school adcoms' feedback (or feedback in general) would be very appreciated!

P.S. I cannot wait to transfer after two years because my large amount of AP credits will qualify me as a senior status after two years.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Yeah that could probably be a red flag. Why don't you just apply to transfer without first going to CC?

I think if you have a reasonable explanation and can articulate it well it would be fine. However I too have the same question; why not just transfer from UCLA to UCI and skip the CC?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah that could probably be a red flag. Why don't you just apply to transfer without first going to CC?
The Chem 14 series doesn't count at UCI. Neither does my current math series. So if I go to a CC at least I'd be able to take classes that will give me equivalent Course credit. If I go transfer straight from UCLA to UCI I shouldn't have any issues then?

The Chem 14 series doesn't count at UCI. Neither does my current math series. So if I go to a CC at least I'd be able to take classes that will give me equivalent Course credit. If I go transfer straight from UCLA to UCI I shouldn't have any issues then?
That's very surprising, I don't know why one UC wouldn't acknowledge the validity of courses at another UC, that's unfortunate. Do you have a compelling reason for transferring though? You'll need to be able to explain that thoroughly.

I believe this can be justified to an adcom, as long as you are taking upper level science courses at UCI and excelling in them. One or two science courses from a CC to save a wasted semester is worth it if you are sure they will transfer.

I believe this can be justified to an adcom, as long as you are taking upper level science courses at UCI and excelling in them. One or two science courses from a CC to save a wasted semester is worth it if you are sure they will transfer.
I'd be taking a majority of my science courses at UCI. Since by the time I get there, I'd only be a second year.

I honestly just don't enjoy the environment at UCLA. I've given it a full quarter. Have joined several clubs so this isn't a social issue. This isn't an academic issue either since I did well my first quarter. I don't know how to articulate this move so that it would not hurt me. I'm also from OC so I want to be closer to my family since I am very involved with my little brothers. I understand UCLA is not Narnia; however my summers may be spent in LA rather than OC because of research and volunteer work.

there would be the question of why you chose to attend UCLA in the first place.

there might be the question of how you knew after just one quarter that UCLA wasn't a good fit for you. it can translate into you perhaps not being able to "stick it out" when there's some discomfort.

but if you can alleviate that by demonstrating resilience and longevity in other ways, plus provide a good explanation for the transfer (family, fit etc), you'll be fine.

Is it too hard? Well then, why do you think you can handle med school? And what about all the other kids who don't like the undergrad they picked but still decided to stick it out?

What EXACTLY do you not like about being at UCLA?

The only two valid reasons I can think of is 1)money (which doesn't apply since you are willing to go to UCI, which is the same tuition and gives roughly the same aid) and 2) your need to be in a certain location because of personal issues

Agree except it sounds like the current plan is to drop out, go to CC, reapply and hope to get into UCI as a transfer student (unless I'm missing something).

there might be the question of how you knew after just one quarter that UCLA wasn't a good fit for you. it can translate into you perhaps not being able to "stick it out" when there's some discomfort.

but if you can alleviate that by demonstrating resilience and longevity in other ways, plus provide a good explanation for the transfer (family, fit etc), you'll be fine.
So I'm no longer dropping to a CC because the classes I needed have already filled up. Would me sticking out the rest of this year make this transfer less of a red flag? I originally chose UCLA because of my Regents and Alumni Scholar status and the fact that I thought I would enjoy the big city and a larger school. However, I now realize I am not the type of person who enjoys the nonstop business on campus or in the LA area.

There's nothing wrong with UCI. Transfer there directly.
I am planning on transferring directly now. Would this harm my chances in the long run for med school though? As in would they see that I am "moving down" and therefore disregard my application?

Is it too hard? Well then, why do you think you can handle med school? And what about all the other kids who don't like the undergrad they picked but still decided to stick it out?

What EXACTLY do you not like about being at UCLA?

The only two valid reasons I can think of is 1)money (which doesn't apply since you are willing to go to UCI, which is the same tuition and gives roughly the same aid) and 2) your need to be in a certain location because of personal issues
This is not a difficulty issue. As I said, I did well my first quarter. My Regents and Alumni status indicate that I have the capability and willingness to work very hard. The reason I want to move to UCI is because I would be able to commute. So 1) this is partially a money issue. Since I no longer would have to pay for housing or meals. 2) Yes I would rather be closer to family as I play a heavy role in my younger siblings' lives.

•In terms of other people sticking it out: if this transfer will hurt my chances in the long run, I inevitably will stay. However, I also care about my mental and emotional health and believe if I were happier I would thus do even better in school.

This is not a difficulty issue. As I said, I did well my first quarter. My Regents and Alumni status indicate that I have the capability and willingness to work very hard. The reason I want to move to UCI is because I would be able to commute. So 1) this is partially a money issue. Since I no longer would have to pay for housing or meals. 2) Yes I would rather be closer to family as I play a heavy role in my younger siblings' lives.

•In terms of other people sticking it out: if this transfer will hurt my chances in the long run, I inevitably will stay. However, I also care about my mental and emotional health and believe if I were happier I would thus do even better in school.

Leave UCLA in good academic standing and it won't look as though you're transferring for an "easier" school. Your reasoning about finances alone can justify that, you won't be hurt in terms of med school by that stand point, you're reading way too far into it.

Reactions: 1 user

My friend dropped out of a prestigious private school and went to CC for a year, then transferred to UNLV. She was not asked about it anywhere (been to 8 interviews). UCI and UCLA are both great institutions, and it is better to do what will make you happiest. There are people from UCI at Harvard and your academic standing is good, so just do it! You have good reasons.

So I'm no longer dropping to a CC because the classes I needed have already filled up. Would me sticking out the rest of this year make this transfer less of a red flag? I originally chose UCLA because of my Regents and Alumni Scholar status and the fact that I thought I would enjoy the big city and a larger school. However, I now realize I am not the type of person who enjoys the nonstop business on campus or in the LA area.

that's fair. college is a growing experience, and you're allowed to make mistakes or change your mind.

just keep doing well and it won't matter for most adcoms. good luck :)

In that case, go for it. But there also comes the question of why you decided to go to UCLA in the first place then. I'm not speaking in terms of what an adcom will think. I'm speaking in terms to giving you a suggestion to make better choices in the future.

I am planning on transferring directly now. Would this harm my chances in the long run for med school though? As in would they see that I am "moving down" and therefore disregard my application?
Nobody will care.
We only care that you did well.

OP your justification and decision to transfer directly are both great. I would stick out this last semester to avoid wasting it, but make sure all the classes you take transfer to UCI!!