URM admissions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel bad asking this question because I don't want to start a war. But often times affirmative action is used as a way to make up the difference in resources between races as stated above by @LuluLovesMe

"At the same time, there is no good way of evening out the playing field. Most AA's do not get access to the same resources as whites and asians. On average they are more likely to live in low income areas with high crime. Additionally the majority of AA families also don't have a culture that encourages academic achievement."

However there are plenty of wealthy AA families and tons of white and Asian families living in inner cities and ghettos with no resources either. Is there an avenue for these students to get a leg up on the more well-to-do competition or are they mostly ignored because of their race?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
lol it's so satisfying to see "BANNED" across OP's avy.

also, just noticed the tags he included for his thread. nice.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think it has anything to do with any race being more or less "smart". First off, there are too many factors that contribute to one's education as well as application. If you have the money then you can take MCAT courses, hire someone to help with your application (MedEdits), etc. Based on who you know that can open many doors for your ECs. Personality is totally up to you and maybe how you were raised but that's a debate on its own. The MCAT can only go so far. A 37 can mean many good things but it can't get you far in med school if you have the communication skills similar to that of a plant. I think it just comes down to sample size. In the sense that whites and asian make up the majority of applicants and hence there are more applicants with higher scores but there are also applicants with lower scores. If URMs were applying at the numbers of whites/asians then their stats would go up too. There are just differences in socioeconomic statuses that can propel certain people while cause others to work harder, which is why I think affirmative action is great because it slowly but surely will close the gap between different races. Adcoms are choosing the best and the brightest from their applicant pool. If you want diversity in your class then sure you may have some URMs who scored lower in xyz compared to the class average and they got in but their value to medicine may be far above what we can comprehend.

I feel bad asking this question because I don't want to start a war. But often times affirmative action is used as a way to make up the difference in resources between races as stated above by @LuluLovesMe

"At the same time, there is no good way of evening out the playing field. Most AA's do not get access to the same resources as whites and asians. On average they are more likely to live in low income areas with high crime. Additionally the majority of AA families also don't have a culture that encourages academic achievement."

However there are plenty of wealthy AA families and tons of white and Asian families living in inner cities and ghettos with no resources either. Is there an avenue for these students to get a leg up on the more well-to-do competition or are they mostly ignored because of their race?

Before I start, I want to ask: when you write AA, are you referring to Affirmative action, or African Americans? I see the terms used interchangeably, and it's incorrect because blacks are not the only ones who benefit from Affirmative action. In fact, several post (for idk how many years on SDN) have suggested the biggest beneficiaries of affirmative action are white women.

Now for my response, I think any person (whether you're black, white, yellow, brown or purple) that has a far-reaching, and no resources to get there, should be provided with opportunity. From what I saw my application cycle, it is not all about having a 90 percentile MCAT, or the highest GPA, rather the big picture and road travelled in addition to it. Also, AMCAS gives applicants an option of applying disadvantaged should they feel they were given equal opportunities.

Last edited:

Do you know how rare these sorts of AA families are? I definitely wouldn't say plenty if I'm honest.

You are right I shouldn't have used the word plenty. But my point is that they do exist and that there are non-minority families that are destitute and without resources to succeed.

First post and definitely the wrong thread to start in but wouldnt it make more sense to just make sure better efforts to close the education disparity between inner cities and other places and make the application so you couldnt tell the race/gender/anything else you can discriminate against instead of having affirmative action? I realize that this is getting dangerously close to the whole "seperate but equal" argument. But it is racist to treat anyone differently because of their race whether you are hurting or helping (esp if it hurts other groups via displacement)

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

[..]wouldnt it make more sense to just make sure better efforts to close the education disparity between inner cities and other places and make the application so you couldnt tell the race/gender/anything else you can discriminate against instead of having affirmative action?

I'll be holding my breath for the Wizard to give me a new skin color or better yet to make this idealistic utopia you speak of materialize in the US and level life's playing field before I apply to med school.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Can we stop having a URM thread every single day now, please? Pretty please? With sugar on top? Why don't you all just go complain to adcoms that us URMs are taking all the spots? Or write about how difficult it is to be a White person in America or an Asian medical school applicant in your diversity essay? What, no takers?

white_mans_burden.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Can we stop having a URM thread every damn day now, please? Pretty please? With sugar on top? Why don't you all just go complain to adcoms that us URMs are taking all the spots? Or write about how difficult it is to be a White person in America or an Asian medical school applicant in your diversity essay. What, no takers?

white_mans_burden.jpg
Don't act ignorant. Not all white people are rich, straight, cis and able bodied.

First post and definitely the wrong thread to start in but wouldnt it make more sense to just make sure better efforts to close the education disparity between inner cities and other places and make the application so you couldnt tell the race/gender/anything else you can discriminate against instead of having affirmative action?

That would involve white people being ok with sharing schools and resources with black students. As @DoctorDrewOutsidetheLines is probably aware from the news in her city this week, they ain't willing to do that.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Don't act ignorant. Not all white people are rich, straight, cis and able bodied.

Don't act mentally ******ed and don't resort to name-calling. It's uncalled for. As Chris Rock said, none of you would trade places with him, to be a Black man in this country, and he's rich. He's also been pulled over several times for Driving While Black. There was a recent news story of a famous tennis player who was taken down full body force by NYPD. If you don't realize your daily privilege, you're either lying to me or yourself.

I realize not all White people are rich, straight, cis, and able-bodied. The comic didn't say that either.

I am SICK and TIRED of hearing complaint after complaint about the infinitesimally small amount of URMs gaining medical school admission.

Don't act mentally ******ed and don't resort to name-calling. It's uncalled for. As Chris Rock said, none of you would trade places with him, to be a Black man in this country, and he's rich. He's also been pulled over several times for Driving While Black. There was a recent news story of a famous tennis player who was taken down full body force by NYPD. If you don't realize your daily privilege, you're either lying to me or yourself.

I realize not all White people are rich, straight, cis, and able-bodied. The comic didn't say that either.

I am SICK and TIRED of hearing complaint after complaint about the infinitesimally small amount of URMs gaining medical school admission.

Come on that's not fear to people with mental disabilities and is really rude .... Lets try to be a little civil. And you say dont resort to name calling just after you did the same thing .. I am on your side but when you behave this way you make people dont want to be on your side

Yes, I am sorry I offended anyone who has a legitimate and documented mental disability. However, I assume they wouldn't be on this thread. The mentally slow people I know tend to be very socially accepting of others' differences. Kind of like children, before their parents teach them otherwise. That being said, I am not going to let anyone call me ignorant. Especially someone who probably thinks I'm inferior @Chelsea FC

And if one person's views on the internet makes you change your stance on race, privilege, affirmative action, and URMs in med school, then I am not sure I want you on "my" side. The only side I'm on is my own and I am not the mouthpiece or spokesperson for all URMs and I don't want my behavior or words viewed and judged as such either. Would you?

I notice you didn't say a word against him calling me ignorant. But then...maybe you're on his "side."

In any case, I'm out for real. I'm seriously over this anti-URM debate. It's always the same sh$t different day. I really wish SDN would find some new material. It's getting old.

Last edited:
Don't act mentally ******ed and don't resort to name-calling. It's uncalled for. As Chris Rock said, none of you would trade places with him, to be a Black man in this country, and he's rich.

Lol she's just a premed. She says she is sick of URM threads but her last 14 posts were on various threads about URMs and white priviledge. I didn't call you ignorant. I said don't act ignorant. If you aren't ignorant then don't act that way.

Lol she's just a premed. She says she is sick of URM threads but her last 14 posts were on various threads about URMs and white priviledge. I didn't call you ignorant. I said don't act ignorant. If you aren't ignorant then don't act that way.

Yes I am sick of them and I'm sick of having to post in them. But most URMs have better things to do (or know better than to get themselves all riled up like I do) than come in here and defend the entire URM community, but I felt called to do so because SDN has been turning into StormFront lately.

I am just a premed. And I'm a lot of other things too.

And so are you.

I also post in the *gasp* URM forum which could explain my posts by the way. So thanks for cyber stalking me. I feel flattered.

I'm not a premed. And nobody is holding a gun to your head forcing you to post in them.

Yes, I am sorry I offended anyone who has a legitimate and documented mental disability. However, I assume they wouldn't be on this thread. The mentally slow people I know tend to be very socially accepting of others' differences. Kind of like children, before their parents teach them otherwise. That being said, I am not going to let anyone call me ignorant. Especially someone who probably thinks I'm inferior @Chelsea FC

And if one person's views on the internet makes you change your stance on race, privilege, affirmative action, and URMs in med school, then I am not sure I want you on "my" side. The only side I'm on is my own and I am not the mouthpiece or spokesperson for all URMs and I don't want my behavior or words viewed and judged as such either. Would you?

I notice you didn't say a word against him calling me ignorant. But then...maybe you're on his "side."

In any case, I'm out for real. I'm seriously over this anti-URM debate. It's always the same sh$t different day. I really wish SDN would find some new material. It's getting old.
First of all no ones views can make me change my mind without me doing my own research and self reflection . Dont want someone calling you ignorant fair enough but there is a right way and a wrong way of going about it . And using ******ed as a slur is not the right way . And you prove my point, I said I am on your side meaning I am also fed up with the URM threads as well but if you want to have a constructive debate then go ahead but going around insulting everyone isnt going to stop the threads..

Last edited:
Despite the obvious hyperbole, it takes some thin skin to think that what DrDrew is posting is any less inflammatory or wrong than the usual tripe in URM threads.

What's the white people version of #FragileMasculinity?

i believe that all people should be created equal and that med school admission should be based on gpa and mcat. That is equal and unbiased. I want a doctor who meets that criteria.

i believe that all people should be created equal and that med school admission should be based on gpa and mcat. That is equal and unbiased. I want a doctor who meets that criteria.
I think it might be a stretch to say either of these metrics are unbiased or equal. Objective maybe. But there is so much that contributes to both of these things - education, socioeconomic status, availability of resources - that it's impossible to consider them truly equal. Hence affirmative action.

Having trouble getting the words to sound right, but I think it's fairly clear :wacky:

That makes the assumption that all that is needed for being a good doctor are academic metrics. A base academic achievement of 3.5 GPA and 30 MCAT is enough to academically qualified for medical school rigor. However, that says nothing about being a good physician. Most important, the purpose of a medical school is to educate and train physicians to serve population; the fairness to that mission takes almost complete precedence over any fairness to applicants.

This thread did not need a necrobump

:beat:

Reactions: 4 users

Medical outcomes rely on proper representation in medicine. The mods and prominent posters in this forum have observed and posted that already.

Less about being 'created equal'. More about quantifiable health outcomes.

Status
Not open for further replies.