US Atlantic Bridge Program 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
No I am still waiting for irish schools, second round :( Anyone hear from TCD or NUIG 5yr program?
I've heard from RCSI Bahrain 5yr program, interview is this saturday..

nothing from tcd or nuig for me.

good luck w your interview, mine's sunday! skyping in. are you going to toronto/are you from canada or the states?

I'm waiting on all 5 year programs myself. No acceptances or rejections yet. How were you guys informed of your interview?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm waiting on all 5 year programs myself. No acceptances or rejections yet. How were you guys informed of your interview?
i got an email from ABP w the subject line "Royal College of Surgeons - Medical University of Bahrain (RCSI-MUB) - Interview Invitation - Toronto"

Any acceptances to US students yet for UCD. UCC, or TCD? It seems like more US students get into RCSI...

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone who applied to RCSI's 5 year program received a rejection?

Does anyone have suggestions as to which banks provide the best deals on medical school loans? I'm debating between CIBC and RBC - heard good things about both. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Does anyone have suggestions as to which banks provide the best deals on medical school loans? I'm debating between CIBC and RBC - heard good things about both. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

RBC will only give out $150k total.

CIBC will give $225k at prime (or that's what I was able to get).

I also looked into TD (my longest standing bank) and they would give $150k with a possible $50k on request, but with a higher interest rate (not prime).

I have excellent credit, but still needed a cosigner who was staying in Canada to make sure I wouldn't just run away forever.

Hi everyone! I was accepted to UCD's 6 year program last month, is anyone else planning on attending that course?

Also, does anyone know about accommodation at UCD? What is it like?

hola. any recent RCSI, NUIG, or TCD acceptances?

hola. any recent RCSI, NUIG, or TCD acceptances?

Still waiting on them from my end. I did receive an email however stating that NUIG (and UCC) released their second round offers last week. TCD, RCSI, and UCD have not yet released their 2nd round.

Still waiting on them from my end. I did receive an email however stating that NUIG (and UCC) released their second round offers last week. TCD, RCSI, and UCD have not yet released their 2nd round.
you got an email about that? so weird. ugh this is depressing...

Members don't see this ad :)
Ahhh I know I hate the waiting:nailbiting: but they told me today NUIG and TCD still had to send out the 2nd round of offers though

Hi everyone! I was accepted to UCD's 6 year program last month, is anyone else planning on attending that course?

Also, does anyone know about accommodation at UCD? What is it like?

I was accepted too! All i know is that we apply for housing beginning June 11th, I'm looking at Merville or Belgrove...

you got an email about that? so weird. ugh this is depressing...

Well, I emailed them first asking about the status of my applications. Did it again yesterday, here's what I got.

UCD and TCD have released their first round of offers. UCC, NUIG and RCSI
have released their second round of offers. An offer has not been extended
to you at this time.

Your file remains active at UCC, UCD, NUIG, TCD and RCSI. They have yet to
reach a final decision with regard to your application.

Well, I emailed them first asking about the status of my applications. Did it again yesterday, here's what I got.

UCD and TCD have released their first round of offers. UCC, NUIG and RCSI
have released their second round of offers. An offer has not been extended
to you at this time.

Your file remains active at UCC, UCD, NUIG, TCD and RCSI. They have yet to
reach a final decision with regard to your application.
ok so if NUIG and RCSI have already release their 2nd round, does that mean they're done giving offers? or they'll be waiting for kids to make decisions and then prob release more offers?

just kill me now a;slkdjf;lakjdfl;ajldfa i have no patience

ok so if NUIG and RCSI have already release their 2nd round, does that mean they're done giving offers? or they'll be waiting for kids to make decisions and then prob release more offers?

just kill me now a;slkdjf;lakjdfl;ajldfa i have no patience

I'm sure they will continue giving out offers as you've heard they even give out offers in June. I wouldn't call the people who have offers "kids", its a bit rude and offensive, especially when you are the one waiting for their decision.

I'm sure they will continue giving out offers as you've heard they even give out offers in June. I wouldn't call the people who have offers "kids", its a bit rude and offensive, especially when you are the one waiting for their decision.
lol then people/you are too easily offended... kids, people, students, it's all the same to me. don't read so deeply into things :)*

Last edited:
Not to exactly start an online argument, but I too found the comment to be a bit condescending. While you may not have meant it that way, it does seem a bit odd in the usage.

Just something to keep this in mind. If accepted to an Irish school, students will be interacting in an environment where they may speak the same language, but be misunderstood (coming from NA to Ireland). It is important to keep in mind that words used can create a different meaning for the listener. This goes doubly for experience with persons not from the same culture as the speaker.

Cheers, and I wish everyone luck. I know I've still my fingers crossed for an acceptance envelope arriving at my door.

Reactions: 1 user
Not to exactly start an online argument, but I too found the comment to be a bit condescending. While you may not have meant it that way, it does seem a bit odd in the usage.

Just something to keep this in mind. If accepted to an Irish school, students will be interacting in an environment where they may speak the same language, but be misunderstood (coming from NA to Ireland). It is important to keep in mind that words used can create a different meaning for the listener. This goes doubly for experience with persons not from the same culture as the speaker.

Cheers, and I wish everyone luck. I know I've still my fingers crossed for an acceptance envelope arriving at my door.
i mean the applicants are most likely between the ages of 18-22/23 right? i myself am 22, and i include myself in the same category! i don't understand the reason to get upset about it. what's wrong with being a kid? but i get the point :) it's a 2-way street as well, and in general tone and meaning are not always conveyed properly thru the internet*

good luck to you as well! i got a fedex envelope yesterday...and it turned out to be my grandma's new passport -_- can't explain how disappointed i was......

Last edited:
Applicants ages vary. If I recall correctly, someone attending TCD said the average age for the 5 year program was somewhere around 25. I myself am 28. I'm a bit too lazy/tired from finishing finals to use the search function right now.

That's too bad to hear. Maybe you will get a package soon.

Applicants ages vary. If I recall correctly, someone attending TCD said the average age for the 5 year program was somewhere around 25. I myself am 28. I'm a bit too lazy/tired from finishing finals to use the search function right now.

That's too bad to hear. Maybe you will get a package soon.
hope so! same to you. why do you have finals?

i mean the applicants are most likely between the ages of 18-22/23 right? i myself am 22, and i include myself in the same category! i don't understand the reason to get upset about it. what's wrong with being a kid? but i get the point :) it's a 2-way street as well, and in general tone and meaning are not always conveyed properly thru the internet*

It depends on your program.

Straight out of high school (6 year programs) will typically be younger.

Graduate entry will have average age 24-25. Youngest in my class at UL is 21 and the oldest is about 48. I'm 26 myself. There is also a difference in life experience, so someone who has been out of school, with a job, a mortgage, maybe married, who knows may not like to be grouped as a "kid".

Something to be aware of as a potential health professional - communication is everything. This isn't to sound snotty, but it's a gentle reminder that you're entering a profession where every word does hold weight. It's a learning process (and I'm still learning it as I make my way through patient history taking and clinical exams).

Steele makes a good point about the language differences though. While "kid" is the same, there are LOTS of words that I've had to adjust to as a Canadian to the Irish meanings. I actively switch words when I remember (getting better at it) because the same word can mean something COMPLETELY different - from innocent to not.

Graduate entry will have average age 24-25. Youngest in my class at UL is 21 and the oldest is about 48. I'm 26 myself. There is also a difference in life experience, so someone who has been out of school, with a job, a mortgage, maybe married, who knows may not like to be grouped as a "kid".

Something to be aware of as a potential health professional - communication is everything. This isn't to sound snotty, but it's a gentle reminder that you're entering a profession where every word does hold weight. It's a learning process (and I'm still learning it as I make my way through patient history taking and clinical exams).

Steele makes a good point about the language differences though. While "kid" is the same, there are LOTS of words that I've had to adjust to as a Canadian to the Irish meanings. I actively switch words when I remember (getting better at it) because the same word can mean something COMPLETELY different - from innocent to not.
wow i really did not expect this to become a whole conversation.. i was just asking a question! was absolutely not trying to offend or insult anybody. obviously if i am physically in a situation with older adults i will not use the word 'kid'. this is an internet forum. didn't think this would matter so much/become such a big deal. thank you for the input/insight though :)

It isn't a big deal. It's just something to be aware of going forward :)

If it weren't for others giving feedback, it would be anarchy everywhere in communication.

We've all learned this one way or another, myself included!

It isn't a big deal. It's just something to be aware of going forward :)

If it weren't for others giving feedback, it would be anarchy everywhere in communication.

We've all learned this one way or another, myself included!
lol anarchy. very true :)

what year are you at UL?

@sassa good luck on exams!

Do you guys think that people have already received their second offers or that they are currently in transit?

Just finishing up 1st year. Or that's the plan as long as exams go well in a month!
lucky duck, im sure you will do grandly!

Yup. Myself for example finished a BA in 2008, lived and worked in Japan for 3 years after graduation, am engaged to my beautiful fiancé (even if she does work in the Middle East and I never get to see her), and am now finishing up a second bachelors in biology in the spring of 2015.

I hope others have interesting experiences to share (if I get accepted!).

Last edited:
I am in agony...
I've been dreaming about getting a fedex envelop at my door (literally).

I am doing my finals right now too. I wish you all a good luck ;)

Reactions: 1 users
Yup. Myself for example finished a BA in 2008, lived and worked in Japan for 3 years after graduation, am engaged to my beautiful fiancé (even if she does work in the Middle East and I never get to see her), and am now finishing up a second bachelors in biology in the spring of 2015.

I hope others have interesting experiences to share (if I get accepted!).
wow! how did you come to the realization that you want to do medicine now?

Was the interviews released from UL a second round of interviews or was that the first round?
How many interview rounds did RCSI released?!

I am confused seriously, but who released what?!

UL released a first round and now we have till May 23 to accept after that they will likely release a second round.

Oh that make sense.
How about RCSI?

Apparently there is a second or third round of interviews at the end of May/June

Last edited:
Hey guys! Just wanted to let you know that I applied to RCSI's 5 year program and I have not received an interview nor a rejection. My file is still "open for consideration". Anyone else in the same boat?

I didn't apply to RSCI but I know that many are on the same boat; files are still open but no decision has been made. Its really tough waiting, trust me I am also waiting lol

@mizD When do students for RSCI Bahrain find out if they were accepted?
idk, i had my interview on the 4th and i was told i'd be informed of their decision within 1-2 weeks. well this wknd marks the end of the 2nd week -_- lol

idk, i had my interview on the 4th and i was told i'd be informed of their decision within 1-2 weeks. well this wknd marks the end of the 2nd week -_- lol

I am sure you will find out soon and that it will be good news! :)

Guys, I'd like your input. I have to decide between the GEP at RCSI and Chicago Medical School. Where would you go?

Guys, I'd like your input. I have to decide between the GEP at RCSI and Chicago Medical School. Where would you go?

Chicago Medical School. You must be out of your mind to turn down a US MD offer for one at RCSI. If its because you want to live in Ireland, save your money and visit. The amount of time, stress and worry you'll save by sticking to the US is well worth anything you will gain from going to Ireland. This isn't a comment on the education of the 2 schools, its more of a comment on US residency prospects.

If you stay in the US, your Step 1 will determine whether or not you get your first choice. If you go to Ireland, your Step 1 will determine whether or not you match. If you are interested in a competitive specialty, Ireland is just completely off the table. You'll definitely find a few people from Ireland who matched to a competitive specialty, but the amount of time those people had spent to get that spot was probably double what a US student would have spent to get that spot, and honestly I wouldn't be surprised if in a class of 60 students a few had connections and that would explain their match success.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Bummer. I was super excited to move to Ireland. And there's no way to get the RCSI deposit back, right?