US Atlantic Bridge Program 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
TCD decisions should be out early next week.

Why do you say that?

Members don't see this ad.

does anyone know when the dentistry acceptances will be coming in?

Members don't see this ad :)
I haven't heard back from NUIG or UCD. What do you guys think is the case for me?

Any updates on Dental School correspondences from UCC or TCD?

Surgeon, what does 'till now' mean? Did you receive news?
Unfortunatly no news about anything. Even when I contacted ABP the didn't give me any useful information.

I am in agony, is waiting better than a rejection letter!

Mine is April 24th in Toronto. There are interviews April 23rd to 26th. It's an all day process.

Members don't see this ad :)
Through email, I believe they are just starting to send them out because they had all the days available to come in for an interview.

thanks for the info charlotte and dejay. and so we wait.

could a rcsi student give a little rundown of 1st yr for the 6 yr med program, please and thanks! :)

TRINITY!!!!! 5 year program :)
Hi Alisun, congratulations; when did you get this offer from TCD - what is the offer date on it?
any other offers from TCD or UCD for 5 year program?

I was offered admission to UCC for their 4 year GEM program. They told me to maintain my academic standard and complete my bachelors degree. Do you guys know if there is a specific average or cutoff I need to meet?

I was offered admission to UCC for their 4 year GEM program. They told me to maintain my academic standard and complete my bachelors degree. Do you guys know if there is a specific average or cutoff I need to meet?

Don't get any grade that would lower your GPA.

Hi Alisun, congratulations; when did you get this offer from TCD - what is the offer date on it?
any other offers from TCD or UCD for 5 year program?

I got the offer last night. It says we have to decide by april 17th I believe. I think that's what you were asking?

I emailed AB today. They are still making decisions apparently. They said my NUIG and TCD applications are still active.

How many schools I'd you guys apply to? They said your file is only active at TCD and nuig ?

How many schools I'd you guys apply to? They said your file is only active at TCD and nuig ?
I applied to all 6 schools, RCSI, NUIG, UL, TCD, UCD, UCC. My file is still active in all of them when I contacted them 2 weeks ago

I was told by APB that I was only able to apply to RCSI-Bahrain, NUIG, and TCD because I'm a non-traditional medical applicant (I'm 28 with a bachelors in Japanese Studies/Language). I didn't apply to RCSI-Bahrain because of the political issues (http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-22703138). That, combined with the fact that I thought it was the same tuition as RCSI-Dublin. In hindsight I should have applied to RCSI-Bahrain, but didn't.

BUT, I have two applications still out there for NUIG and TCD. I'm hoping I get into one of them.

I got into TCD. Has anyone else gotten an acceptance there? Although it is the best of the Irish schools, I feel weird accepting it as all of the Irish kids will be like 19. Or am I wrong about that? PS. why is TCD's medical school shorter than the other schools (i.e 5 vs 6 years for irish students)? I feel weird having an undergraduate degree in Neuroscience, then having to practically start over. Even though it is only one year longer than US schools, it feels like starting over. Maybe I am just being a diva.

Although it is the best of the Irish schools.

I can tell you right now that there is no "best" Irish school in the eyes of any program in North America.

All North American schools care about are:

1. High USMLE score (even Canadians - we are dumb if we don't write it)
2. Strong LORs.

The school you go to is irrelevant. Everyone can sell their program fantastically. And everyone learns differently (I am a hands on person so PBL style - like we have in schools in Canada, and I'm doing in Limerick) works very well for me rather than rote lecturing.

There are no free passes because of the school you pick.

As for the length of the years, it is 5 years because you have some school behind you vs 6 years where you don't need undergraduate training. The 4 year program (GEM / GEP) is for people who have written the MCAT and who have a full undergraduate degree. The integration of the classes depends on the school (at Limerick, we all have to have graduated with a full degree, so no one is under 22 here, all the way up to late 40s).

I was told by APB that I was only able to apply to RCSI-Bahrain, NUIG, and TCD because I'm a non-traditional medical applicant (I'm 28 with a bachelors in Japanese Studies/Language). I didn't apply to RCSI-Bahrain because of the political issues (http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-22703138). That, combined with the fact that I thought it was the same tuition as RCSI-Dublin. In hindsight I should have applied to RCSI-Bahrain, but didn't.

BUT, I have two applications still out there for NUIG and TCD. I'm hoping I get into one of them.

I assume you didn't write your MCAT then? Because (as another non-trad applicant), in writing my MCAT, I applied to any program I wanted.

Also FYI - RSCI Bahrain was recently investigated for accreditation. So I would tread carefully there.

Chicago, IL here. Just got an acceptance to UCD's 4 year program in the mail. Already been accepted to RCSI's 4 year program. I think I'm going to go with RCSI. Thoughts?

Chicago, IL here. Just got an acceptance to UCD's 4 year program in the mail. Already been accepted to RCSI's 4 year program. I think I'm going to go with RCSI. Thoughts?

If money is not a factor, go to RCSI. If money is a factor, go to UCD.

If money is not a factor, go to RCSI. If money is a factor, go to UCD.

I'm interested to know what you are basing this on. I'm not saying you're wrong or right I'm just curious.

I recently went to Ireland and toured both schools and I thought that UCD was the best fit for me (regardless of the price). I'm not saying it will be the best fit for everyone, but going to the schools and sitting in on some classes, talking to some program coordinators I got a good vibe. RCSI was great too, but just not what I wanted.

So I know this sounds like a crazy idea, but I think if you (pjserenity) have time you should fly there and check out the schools. If you email them they will set up a meeting with you right away. Both UCD and RCSI were really receptive (i.e. responded within 24 hours), and this was before I even had an acceptance. By going to Ireland you are going to be putting yourself in 300000$+ debt anyways so 1000$ for a flight is really nothing when you're going to make this big decision. From reading the forums, in 4th year you will probably have to fly a dozen times for interviews to North America. Why not take just this one flight and find out for yourself. This is just a suggestion and I know not everyone has this luxury, but I felt really good about my decision because I actually went there and checked them out.

I assume you didn't write your MCAT then? Because (as another non-trad applicant), in writing my MCAT, I applied to any program I wanted.

I'm not taking the MCAT until May 17th, which is after the deadline to take it for ABP.