US-IMG applying for Hematology/Oncology Fellowship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AureliusMD

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am applying for Hematology/Oncology fellowship in July for 2014-2015 application cycle. I am extremely nervous that I'm not going to match solely because I went to Ross University (Caribbean med school). I am currently an Internal Medicine resident (PGY2) at a New York City university program and our residents match into HemeOnc fellowships well (MD-Anderson, UNC, University of Michigan, etc). I have good step scores, have done a couple research projects and poster presentations, but I can't shake the feeling that being a U.S.-IMG will bite me in the butt in the end. Last year's fellowship match had 502 matches, only 45 of which were US-IMGs (most did not match).
My Stats:
Step 1 255
Step 2 259
Step 3 244
2 research projects in Oncology (co-author, not 1st)
2 Case Reports, 2 Poster Presentations, 1 Grand Rounds Presentation
2 Quality-Improvement Projects
Blood Transfusion Committee

Anyone have any recommendations to help, or any soothing words to calm my nerves?
Do I have a shot? Does anyone know of US-IMG friendly programs?

Also, I tentatively have 94 programs on my list for which to apply. Too many, even for an IMG?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
You'll match somewhere.. I wouldn't shave off too many unless it's top tier.

You're in as good a position as you can be given your Carib status. You're unlikely to match someplace like MDACC or Michigan but honestly, all you have to lose by applying is money, and you definitely won't match anyplace you don't apply to. It's not unreasonable to apply to something like 30-50 and then if you don't get much love (watch the inevitable interview invite thread that will appear here later) apply to more.

Members don't see this ad :)
You're in as good a position as you can be given your Carib status. You're unlikely to match someplace like MDACC or Michigan but honestly, all you have to lose by applying is money, and you definitely won't match anyplace you don't apply to. It's not unreasonable to apply to something like 30-50 and then if you don't get much love (watch the inevitable interview invite thread that will appear here later) apply to more.

So I should cut down to 50 or stay at 94?

I looked online at the "Current Fellows" for as many programs as I could (sadly most do not list their fellows and many of the ones that do only show names or faces and not their medical school) to see who had a U.S.-IMG on their roster and didn't find a single one. Plenty of non-U.S. FMGs though. Considering 45 U.S.-IMGs matched last year I would think I could find one online...

Off the top of my head, programs that have USFMGs

-UCDavis
-UWisc
-Downstate

I wouldn't cut anything mid tier or lower

Off the top of my head, programs that have USFMGs

-UCDavis
-UWisc
-Downstate

I wouldn't cut anything mid tier or lower

What did you think of UC Davis? I have family up there, really considering it.

OP, I personally wouldn't cut any programs. You are a solid applicant, but obviously the IMG status will be hurdle. Just spend the money this around and cut interviews if you have. IF anything, I would add all the "low or mid" tier programs. Good luck!

UCDavis seems decent. 12months research, supportive faculty. Lots of independence (for better or worse). They don't have separate hem and onc for continuity clinics though so you cover both.

Hello everyone. I am an IMG and have a green card. While going through ERAS Worksheet i came across this statement

If you are a foreign national, outside the US, or currently in the US in valid visa status, please respond:
Will you need "visa sponsorship" through ECFMG (J-1) or the teaching hospital (H1B) in order to participate in US residency training?
Yes No*
*If no, Expected Visa/Employment Authorization (Select all that may apply):

I guess I should just skip this section altogether since green card is not a visa status, correct?

why would need visa sponsorship if you have a green card ?!
come on guys stop acting like med students

My Stats:
Step 1 255
Step 2 259
Step 3 244
2 research projects in Oncology (co-author, not 1st)
2 Case Reports, 2 Poster Presentations, 1 Grand Rounds Presentation
2 Quality-Improvement Projects
Blood Transfusion Committee

Sorry this might be a dumb question, but I sometimes see "transfusion committee" in people's profiles (like here). What is this, and how helpful is it for a heme/onc application?

AureliusMD:

You are in good shape. If your program has placed people well in the past, you have nothing to worry about. Hem Onc is competitive, but it isn't cards, gi, or ai. There are lots of slots / programs, and let's be honest, it's "self selecting."

And just to get this out of the way: Single board or double board? Double board.

I'm not worried because I matched...yay!

Sorry this might be a dumb question, but I sometimes see "transfusion committee" in people's profiles (like here). What is this, and how helpful is it for a heme/onc application?

Transfusion committee is just a committee involved with all aspects of blood transfusions, blood products, etc. I don't think it helped me in my application but I wanted to have as much as possible to improve my odds.

Reactions: 1 users