Hematology/Oncology 2022-2023 Fellowship Application Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Is Pembroke Pines Memorial Healthcare a new program? Is it a good idea to apply for new programs?

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone else get an email from University of South Florida Morsani Program today confirming completed application

Reactions: 1 user
Is Pembroke Pines Memorial Healthcare a new program? Is it a good idea to apply for new programs?
I think they've been around for 2 years. From what I saw they got their initial ACGME accreditation in 2020.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone else get an email from University of South Florida Morsani Program today confirming completed application

Based on spreadsheet yes it looks like everyone who applied got that email today.

Hi guys,
Are we making an excel sheet to keep track of interviews like last year? Can someone please share the link?

check out the spreadsheet. There's a chat tab that's not so quiet

Do you receive interview invites only on your email (similar to other ERAS alerts) or does it populate in calendar automatically as well?I haven't received any invites yet, just want to make sure I am not missing anything.

Judging by the google doc, under the number of interviews section, about one third of people have no interviews yet.

Rejection by University of Buffalo today.. US IMG

Members don't see this ad :)
Not sure how helpful this is but in case this helps folks not on the spreadsheet or folks applying in the future if the spreadsheet ever disappears the way how the 2021-22 one did for a while lol, I'm copying below the table of invitations sent so far as of 8/10/22. Dates listed are the dates when interview invitations were sent.

ProgramsCommentsDates (unspecified what type of candidate)US MDDOnon-US IMG (visa needed)US IMG (no visa needed)Internal Candidate?External Candidate?
UC DavisERAS7/25 x 3, 7/27x1, 8/1x37/25, 7/27, 8/1 x28/1 x2
University of IowaERAS7/25x57/25 x27/25Yes
Florida JacksonvilleERAS7/26x37/26Yes
Memorial Health CareERAS7/26 x77/26 x2Yes
UNCERAS7/26x5, 7/27x47/26 x1
BIDMC (Beth Israel)ERAS7/28x2
GeisingerThalamus7/29x27/29 x2
University of Florida GainesvileThalamus7/29x5, 7/30x1, 8/1x17/29yes
Loma LindaERAS7/29x1, 7/31x3, 8/3x17/318/9yes
Kansas (KUMC)Email7/31x107/31 x27/31
NIHERAS7/26x1, 8/1x8, 8/2x28/27/268/28/2
YaleERAS8/1x20, 8/2x18/18/1x18/1 x28/1yes
UMassERAS08/02x38/28/2Yes
UMass BaystateERAS08/2x1
UMinnesotaERAS8/2x28/2, 8/5, 8/98/2, 8/98/5Yes x4
UPMCInterview Broker8/3 x78/38/3x2yesyes
LSUHSC-ShreveportEmail8/3x88/38/3 x28/3yes x2
Orlando HealthERAS8/3
UConnEmail8/48/4yes
Thomas JeffersonEmail8/4 x2, 8/8yes
University of ColoradoEmail8/4 x58/4x18/4yesyes
LSU New OrleansEmail8/58/5yes
Buffalo8/4
ETSUERAS
URochesterThalamus8/7x2
Beaumont Royal OakEmail8/8 x 38/4x1, 8/8x18/8 x28/8 X 3yes
NYUERAS8/8 x4, 8/10x28/9yesyes x 2
St. LouisERAS8/88/88/8 x2Yes
Penn StateERAS8/98/9Yes
MontefioreERAS8/10 x48/10Yes
UMKCERAS8/10Yes
St. Luke's PAERAS8/10 x 28/10x4Yes
DownstateEmail8/10x2yes
City of HopeEmail8/10 x48/10x1yes
UT AustinERAS8/10
Baylor University Medical, DallasERAS8/10x28/10 x2yes

Not sure how helpful this is but in case this helps folks not on the spreadsheet or folks applying in the future if the spreadsheet ever disappears the way how the 2021-22 one did for a while lol, I'm copying below the table of invitations sent so far as of 8/10/22. Dates listed are the dates when interview invitations were sent.

ProgramsCommentsDates (unspecified what type of candidate)US MDDOnon-US IMG (visa needed)US IMG (no visa needed)Internal Candidate?External Candidate?
UC DavisERAS7/25 x 3, 7/27x1, 8/1x37/25, 7/27, 8/1 x28/1 x2
University of IowaERAS7/25x57/25 x27/25Yes
Florida JacksonvilleERAS7/26x37/26Yes
Memorial Health CareERAS7/26 x77/26 x2Yes
UNCERAS7/26x5, 7/27x47/26 x1
BIDMC (Beth Israel)ERAS7/28x2
GeisingerThalamus7/29x27/29 x2
University of Florida GainesvileThalamus7/29x5, 7/30x1, 8/1x17/29yes
Loma LindaERAS7/29x1, 7/31x3, 8/3x17/318/9yes
Kansas (KUMC)Email7/31x107/31 x27/31
NIHERAS7/26x1, 8/1x8, 8/2x28/27/268/28/2
YaleERAS8/1x20, 8/2x18/18/1x18/1 x28/1yes
UMassERAS08/02x38/28/2Yes
UMass BaystateERAS08/2x1
UMinnesotaERAS8/2x28/2, 8/5, 8/98/2, 8/98/5Yes x4
UPMCInterview Broker8/3 x78/38/3x2yesyes
LSUHSC-ShreveportEmail8/3x88/38/3 x28/3yes x2
Orlando HealthERAS8/3
UConnEmail8/48/4yes
Thomas JeffersonEmail8/4 x2, 8/8yes
University of ColoradoEmail8/4 x58/4x18/4yesyes
LSU New OrleansEmail8/58/5yes
Buffalo8/4
ETSUERAS
URochesterThalamus8/7x2
Beaumont Royal OakEmail8/8 x 38/4x1, 8/8x18/8 x28/8 X 3yes
NYUERAS8/8 x4, 8/10x28/9yesyes x 2
St. LouisERAS8/88/88/8 x2Yes
Penn StateERAS8/98/9Yes
MontefioreERAS8/10 x48/10Yes
UMKCERAS8/10Yes
St. Luke's PAERAS8/10 x 28/10x4Yes
DownstateEmail8/10x2yes
City of HopeEmail8/10 x48/10x1yes
UT AustinERAS8/10
Baylor University Medical, DallasERAS8/10x28/10 x2yes
I mean...we could just do stuff in the thread. But whatever y'all.

Hello,

Has anyone heard from NYC programs? any interviews from stony brook?

There was a question in the spreadsheet that I'm curious about as I share some similarities: "Anyone know if interviewers (esp at research heavy programs) will ask very detailed questions on bench research not related to oncology? I have authorship in bench research before med school, but I have only done clinical research since med school. Not MD-PhD, haven't actually touched a pipette in 8 years. Trying to figure out how detailed I need to review these bench papers (actually got published recently since we all know bench takes years to come out)."

Wanted to get some thoughts from those who interviewed in the past and if they encountered this issue of being grilled on non-heme/onc related bench work from many years ago?

Currently sitting at what I think are a good # of interviews for top programs. I want the flexibility of being comfortable pursuing private practice or if I do end up liking a niche that I am super passionate about, entering the academia/research track. Would going to top places like MDA/MSK/Hopkins/Penn preclude me from doing so (i.e not set me up for private life because I spend majority of 2nd and 3rd year doing being/clinical research and not in the clinic)? Am I better off ranking places like Duke/UTSW/Vanderbilt/Emory which seem to have slightly more rigorous clinical training with an option of having rigorous academic research if one chooses to go that way? Thanks
Don’t kid yourself. I forget the exact numbers but I think it’s a 70/30 split private practice vs academia for folks coming out of fellowship, irrespective of where they trained or how much they blathered on about wanting to do translational research in their interview at MSK/Harvard/MDA/etc. Go to a place where the people are normal and not a-holes, where you’ll see a wide range of pathology, and a place that will set you up well to get a job that you want.

There was a question in the spreadsheet that I'm curious about as I share some similarities: "Anyone know if interviewers (esp at research heavy programs) will ask very detailed questions on bench research not related to oncology? I have authorship in bench research before med school, but I have only done clinical research since med school. Not MD-PhD, haven't actually touched a pipette in 8 years. Trying to figure out how detailed I need to review these bench papers (actually got published recently since we all know bench takes years to come out)."

Wanted to get some thoughts from those who interviewed in the past and if they encountered this issue of being grilled on non-heme/onc related bench work from many years ago?
I did not do bench research, but did do some research in medical school and honestly here is my impression. I would review the paper enough such that if they ask you about the project you could talk generally about what it was and your role, which will satisfy most normal people.

I would not worry about knowing every nitty gritty detail because IF you come across someone that wants to pimp you on every little detail of a paper you did 8 years ago, then that person has basically already decided they are not impressed by you IMO for whatever reason, they are just looking to justify it to themselves... like the guy who asked me what my project was about and then after I talked about it responded "well that didn't really answer the question" and proceeded to answer a cell phone call in the middle of my interview.
Then again I would not worry about matching at a research heavy program because :barf:, so maybe if that matters to you then by all means study your own papers just in case.

Don’t kid yourself. I forget the exact numbers but I think it’s a 70/30 split private practice vs academia for folks coming out of fellowship, irrespective of where they trained or how much they blathered on about wanting to do translational research in their interview at MSK/Harvard/MDA/etc. Go to a place where the people are normal and not a-holes, where you’ll see a wide range of pathology, and a place that will set you up well to get a job that you want.
The most honest PD I experienced during fellowship interviews was at MSK. (It's been almost 15 years so apologies for not remembering the name.)

When asked about where their grads go during the open question session, he said, "about 1/4 stay here or go across the street (Cornell), 1/4 go to other academic centers and the rest to private practice. We're happy to support them in whatever career choices they make."

Go wherever you want, do whatever you want. You'll be fine. No matter where you train or what your career winds up looking like, the first couple of years out are where the real learning happens.

Reactions: 1 users
The most honest PD I experienced during fellowship interviews was at MSK. (It's been almost 15 years so apologies for not remembering the name.)

When asked about where their grads go during the open question session, he said, "about 1/4 stay here or go across the street (Cornell), 1/4 go to other academic centers and the rest to private practice. We're happy to support them in whatever career choices they make."

Go wherever you want, do whatever you want. You'll be fine. No matter where you train or what your career winds up looking like, the first couple of years out are where the real learning happens.
I would add that if you know where you want to end up living I would prioritize training in the area - it can be very helpful to have local connections or even just be able to find out the word on the street re: who the crappy practices vs good practices are in your area IMO

Why can’t I see the spreadsheet anymore? It’s been a few days. Anyone know?

From the faculty side any sense of how this year compares to prior years? Seems like many programs received >500 applications, not sure if that is normal or not.

would love some honest brutal advice. im a do at a small community program, where I transferred in as a 2nd year to be with my daughter again - had to leave her with my parents for a year which was very tough on me. currently a 3rd yr chief resident at my program. I did not take the step exams because of the merger our school advised us to not bother... (I am very disappointed about this). my comlex scores are decent enough (570 on 1 and 2, 670 on 3). I only have 3 poster presentations that were accepted to like ACP, 1 to a local symposium. currently working on 3 literature reviews that are very likely to get published. excuses suck but I was a single parent my entire academic career which made it difficult for me to pursue certain things before - for instance, I did not get into any local university programs for residency and did not apply out of state because there was no way I could take my child with me. things are different now that she is older and we are ready for any adventure.

would like to know how I can prepare better for the next cycle and does anyone recommend I take the step exams because...I totally will -_-

what is your opinion interest in clinical trial and translational - solid tumors
UPenn,
MDA,
UCSF,
Duke,
UNC,
Columbia,
Yale,
WashU,
NIH,
Mayo Rochester
Are those the actual programs on your rank list or are you just listing programs? If the former, how did you like them? If the latter...c'mon.

Hello,
Would appreciate help on the RoL. Interested in clinical research in heme malignancies.

Mayo Rochester
Moffitt
Wash U
BIDMC
Cornell

@gutonc appreciate your guidance

Hello,
Would appreciate help on the RoL. Interested in clinical research in heme malignancies.

Mayo Rochester
Moffitt
Wash U
BIDMC
Cornell

@gutonc appreciate your guidance
Those are all excellent programs. Any specific interest within heme malignancies? That’ll help a bit. Myeloma def Mayo. Leukemia/lymphoma wash u Cornell are excellent options. Moffitt is probably good in all but probably has less big names and visibility then say Mayo or wash u (maybe even Cornell). Don’t know much about the strength of bidmc but given your other options would rank it lower

Any thoughts regarding wash u vs duke? Interested in learning how to run clinic trials, specifically in heme malignancies. Both sound good on paper and I don't think will hold me back. I think from the interview day at least, wash U seems like there is a close-knit community of rigorous academics but duke seemed as if you can potentially get lost in the weeds if you don't find your people early on.

Any thoughts regarding wash u vs duke? Interested in learning how to run clinic trials, specifically in heme malignancies. Both sound good on paper and I don't think will hold me back. I think from the interview day at least, wash U seems like there is a close-knit community of rigorous academics but duke seemed as if you can potentially get lost in the weeds if you don't find your people early on.
My understanding (from personal experience and people I know) is that WashU is extremely supportive of their fellows and will definitely provide the kind of mentorship you're looking for (will actually demand that you accept it). Duke has the opportunities and can launch you on a solid career pathway, but you're going to have the take the first 2 or 3 steps on your own.

Hi all would appreciate if I can get some input on my ranking list. Interested in malignant heme academic career. Thank you!

1. Moffitt
2. Montefiore
3. VCU
4. Umass
5. Houston Methodist
6. MUSC
7. Allegheny
8. Augusta University

What do you all think about these programs for rank list?
I'm considering their research strengths, possibly basic cancer or translational.

Cedars Sinai
USC
City of Hope

How did you like them?
USC seems to have much less time for research based on their clinical schedule. City of Hope seems to have the most NCI funding and thus research opportunities?

I'm not sure USC v Cedars, however--USC is NCI comprehensive and Cedars is not. However they both seem to have similar amounts of NCI funding. I'm not sure which has better research opportunities though. Any thoughts here gutonc?

USC seems to have much less time for research based on their clinical schedule. City of Hope seems to have the most NCI funding and thus research opportunities?

I'm not sure USC v Cedars, however--USC is NCI comprehensive and Cedars is not. However they both seem to have similar amounts of NCI funding. I'm not sure which has better research opportunities though. Any thoughts here gutonc?
Which one has people doing stuff that interests you?

Honestly, they're close enough in reputation that none of them will hinder, or boost, you in any meaningful way over the others. All of them will give you opportunities to make a career for yourself if you're willing to work for it.

I'd personally rank CoH first and then flip a coin between the other two. But I'm not you.

Thanks gutonc. I'll look deeper, it's still hard to say between USC and Cedars. USC technically is university affiliated, so maybe they have more research opportunities overall.

Whew, that was stressful. All ended up working out and matched at top choice in the city I really wanted to be in. Excited to be joining the heme/onc community. Thanks to those who provided advice and bouncing ideas both in this thread and the Google sheet.

Reactions: 2 users
Any advice for those of us that did not match on improving for next cycle. I had only 6 interviews ( 1 very last minute so may be dint have a chance there to begin with) and did not match. There are certain things I can't fix like board scores and I am assuming I will not make the cutoff again next year for certain programs.

Any advice for those of us that did not match on improving for next cycle. I had only 6 interviews ( 1 very last minute so may be dint have a chance there to begin with) and did not match. There are certain things I can't fix like board scores and I am assuming I will not make the cutoff again next year for certain programs.
Research productivity and making sure you have the strongest LORs possible are probably the two biggest modifiable factors.

Research productivity and making sure you have the strongest LORs possible are probably the two biggest modifiable factors.
Thanks for the advice. Actually those two are my strongest points. I am not trying to brag, I am trying to get a realistic sense. I have quite a few publications as I had couple of years break doing research prior to medical school. I was told I had the strongest recommendations during my interviews. So I am not sure anything else will add in terms of both. What I am trying to say is having 1 more publication when you already have 9 makes any difference

I am in the same boat, interviewed at 5 programs, and the interviews went very well. Step scores are decent, US-IMG. Unfortunately, I didn't end up matching. Now looking for back up options, currently working as a hospitalist. A few colleagues recommended BMT/Leukemia/Lymphoma fellowship, but not sure which programs would offer these fellowships to internal medicine graduates(Most of these programs have listed hem/onc graduates as being eligible to apply only). I am from NY and cant relocate due to family reasons. Would like some guidance and suggestions on what to do next?

I am in the same boat, interviewed at 5 programs, and the interviews went very well. Step scores are decent, US-IMG. Unfortunately, I didn't end up matching. Now looking for back up options, currently working as a hospitalist. A few colleagues recommended BMT/Leukemia/Lymphoma fellowship, but not sure which programs would offer these fellowships to internal medicine graduates(Most of these programs have listed hem/onc graduates as being eligible to apply only). I am from NY and cant relocate due to family reasons. Would like some guidance and suggestions on what to do next?

Thats unfortunate, some other options to explore are following:

1. palliative care or geriatrics fellowship at a place where there is a heme onc fellowship, may have some good interaction, research etc with heme onc fellows and faculty.

2. Heme Onc hospitalist: some places like Iowa and st louis had positions that were hospitalist assigned specifically to admitting Onc patients and i know a few who went on to heme onc fellowships after doing 1-2 years.

3. At your current place pick a research project with the faculty and try to publish something and reapply next year.

4. Some places require Heme/onc for those fellowships that you mentioned but some places dont. They are mostly non acgme, may have a chance. So keep looking around.

Good luck!!

Hello everyone, I hope you are all doing well. I have matched at a program in Pennsylvania and looking for a swap to any program in Texas, Louisiana or Oklahoma. Some unforeseen personal crisis has occurred since the ROL submission and although I am very grateful for my match, I am having trouble thinking about how I will be able to complete it. Looking for help and advice.

Thats unfortunate, some other options to explore are following:

1. palliative care or geriatrics fellowship at a place where there is a heme onc fellowship, may have some good interaction, research etc with heme onc fellows and faculty.

2. Heme Onc hospitalist: some places like Iowa and st louis had positions that were hospitalist assigned specifically to admitting Onc patients and i know a few who went on to heme onc fellowships after doing 1-2 years.

3. At your current place pick a research project with the faculty and try to publish something and reapply next year.

4. Some places require Heme/onc for those fellowships that you mentioned but some places dont. They are mostly non acgme, may have a chance. So keep looking around.

Good luck!!
Thank you for the great advices. Appreciate it. I see a lot of geriatrics spot are open in programs. Was not sure if a geriatric fellowship would be more helpful vs non accredited fellowships like leukemia/lymphomas/bmt etc?

Thank you for the great advices. Appreciate it. I see a lot of geriatrics spot are open in programs. Was not sure if a geriatric fellowship would be more helpful vs non accredited fellowships like leukemia/lymphomas/bmt etc?
Personally think if a place that has a geriatrics fellowship and there is also a heme onc fellowship which is within your reach is better than doing leukemia/lymphoma at a place like Hopkins, Yale, MD anderson etc where chance of matching in heme onc mayne not that high.

Reactions: 1 users
Personally think if a place that has a geriatrics fellowship and there is also a heme onc fellowship which is within your reach is better than doing leukemia/lymphoma at a place like Hopkins, Yale, MD anderson etc where chance of matching in heme onc mayne not that high.
Honestly I’ve had cofellows in my program that did both of those specific approaches (Geriatrics and the MDA Leukemia fellowship) and had it work out. I think I know someone who just worked as a hospitalist at MD Anderson as well while applying but I don’t know how well that helped their application (doubt much).

Hey everyone!
I want to go into Heme Onc and have some questions. I am from a community program. We have 1 Heme Onc attending . .. but he does not support research initiatives nor gives very great advice on match stuff, or career advice.
1) Regarding publications . .. how many should I be aiming for? If my publications are adequate in number but not in Heme Onc is that still ok?
2) Regarding The Unmatched positions . .. is there a list of them? I was looking at the spreadsheet and only saw 2 programs listed.
3) Do the programs really look at your step score?
4) For those of you that applied to heme onc and did not get in . . .did you apply for back up speciality? Do you suggest doing that in the upcoming match? For personal reasons, I would prefer not taking a gap year.

5) I tried looking for a mentor . .. I went on ASH website, applied for one of their "find a mentor and do research" programs, got rejected because I wasn't eligible and was told to apply to another one of their programs. I had some questions on it, and I have been constantly( like over 15 emails, calls, voice messages in the past 2 months) and have not gotten a reply from them.
Where can I find a heme onc mentor?