US Neurosurgery Matching for an IMG?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Medicore123

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi all,

I'm sure this question has been asked ad nauseam on this forum, but I felt it would be better to ask it from my personal situation instead of trawling through several somewhat related questions.

I am a second-year medical student at the University of Cambridge. For those of you who are unaware, UK students enter medical school straight after high school and study there for 5-6 years. I got a 1st class grade in my first year and am strongly predicted to graduate with a 1st class. I'm also on track to getting a 1st class in my Master's (Cantab) in Neuroscience, which involves a period of graded research under the supervision of a professor of the university (with a possibility of publication). My current research experience includes an extended independent project (outside of a lab but managed to get to the national finals of a prestigious competition), 4 weeks in Manchester and 8 weeks in Beijing (cardiology + stem cell fields).

My question is this: what further steps can I be taking to increase my chances of getting a neurosurgery match? I'm planning on spending all of my summers doing research placements, either in Cambridge or elsewhere. I have a guaranteed neuroscience research placement in the US and I'm going to see if I can organise something alongside my 3 years of clinical rotations.

Any insight you can provide will be greatly appreciated. The sheer competitiveness of this field, especially for IMGs, keeps me awake at night. I honestly shudder just thinking about it. Thank you all in advance!

P.S. I won't be doing my USMLE Step 1 for at least 2 years and I won't graduate for 4.5 years.
 
Last edited: