General Admissions & OTCAS USC OT 2020-2021 Applicants Stats/Updates/Q&A

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I got Phase 2 email as well!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I got the phase 2 email too! So excited! Doesn’t seem like we’ll be hearing about decisions until end of Jan probably early Feb if the deadline for phase 2 is Jan 4th

I also just received an invitation for Phase II!! Congrats to everyone else who did!
also did anyone else notice that it said to submit by Tuesday, January 4th? I'm wondering if they meant Monday, January 4th or Tuesday, January 5th.

Members don't see this ad :)
also did anyone else notice that it said to submit by Tuesday, January 4th? I'm wondering if they meant Monday, January 4th or Tuesday, January 5th.
That’s a good catch!
I guess we should turn it in by January 3 to be sure :lol:

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
I got the phase 2 email too! So excited! Doesn’t seem like we’ll be hearing about decisions until end of Jan probably early Feb if the deadline for phase 2 is Jan 4th
...Unless they rapidly go through our 1 minute videos...
We will have to see :oops:
Goodluck everyone!

I’m thinking the same thing! I also got invited to Phase II and I am so excited! I really hope we don’t have to wait all the way until February though, all this waiting is killing me!

I also received an invitation for phase 2. However, I will be declining b/c I already got accepted to another program which makes the most sense financially. Good luck to everyone!
Where will you be attending? :)

Do you guys know if you're required to wear formal clothing for the phase 2 video?
I also have the same question!
By representing ourselves “formally”, not sure if they meant just don’t wear PJ’s/hoodies but I am guessing the expectation is to dress as if we were getting interviewed in person :)

In case anyone didn't see the follow up email from Dr. Anvarizadeh, they meant Monday, January 4th :)

Has anyone else not received an email yet?? Also do they cutoff most applicants before the video submission or do most applicants get selected to submit a video?
Hello! Someone here posted a while ago that they contacted Dr. Arameh and that she said applicants will either be invited to Phase II or be denied - both through email.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone happen to know if a majority of applicants get selected for Phase 2 video submission?? I’m just trying to get a grasp on the chance of getting accepted after Phase 2 is complete.

Does anyone happen to know if a majority of applicants get selected for Phase 2 video submission?? I’m just trying to get a grasp on the chance of getting accepted after Phase 2 is complete.
I'm also super curious about this! I got accepted for phase II, but don't wanna get my hopes up yet haha

I also received an invitation for phase 2. However, I will be declining b/c I already got accepted to another program which makes the most sense financially. Good luck to everyone!
I am in the same boat so I won't be doing the video. Are you emailing them or you just not doing the video?

Congrats to everyone invited to phase 2! I also received an invitation and I’m so excited!

Even though USC is the dream, this phase 2 invite is making it pretty real that decisions are approaching. I’m not sure if anyone else has any reservations about the immense cost of the program, and I’m not sure if there is another more appropriate thread to ask this question, but how is everyone planning on financing grad school if you receive that long awaited acceptance letter? I’ve heard that during the first year people have received scholarships from the division, but I can’t imagine they would cover the entire first year’s tuition. And then there is still second year to consider as well. Good luck to everyone! 😊

Congrats to everyone invited to phase 2! I also received an invitation and I’m so excited!

Even though USC is the dream, this phase 2 invite is making it pretty real that decisions are approaching. I’m not sure if anyone else has any reservations about the immense cost of the program, and I’m not sure if there is another more appropriate thread to ask this question, but how is everyone planning on financing grad school if you receive that long awaited acceptance letter? I’ve heard that during the first year people have received scholarships from the division, but I can’t imagine they would cover the entire first year’s tuition. And then there is still second year to consider as well. Good luck to everyone! 😊
Yeah the finances scare me a bit but Usc Chan is my dream program and I have loved my undergrad at usc so much. I’ve already accepted that I will be paying for grad in loans to cover whatever the scholarship they provide doesn’t cover. I’m a bit fortunate that I live in SoCal, about 15 miles from usc so I’m going to be living at home and commuting whenever we’re back in person, if I get accepted. After grad, I plan on living at home for at least another year or two to pay off at least half of my loan before I start living more independently.

not everyone has the same situation and I know the approx 120k is a big ticket to pay. I know a lot graduates say it doesn’t make a difference what program you go to, as long as you get the degree and pass the NBCOT. It really is up to you if you think the price is worth the program and you are able to make such a huge financial commitment

The cost is the reason why I’m not doing phase 2. I got accepted into SJSU which is SO much cheaper and I will be able to live with my parents and commute while so I will be saving a ridiculous amount of money. At least a 90k difference between the 2 skls before interest of loans is taken into account. I will still have to take out loans, but not nearly as much. I applied for FAFSA a few months ago. I know people are like SJSU over USC? But it’s an excellent program with good faculty and high pass rate for NBCOT so I feel very confident in my decision. For USC I would obviously have to pay for a place in LA on top of the huge amount in loans. The general consensus seems to be go to the cheapest program that you get accepted too that is obviously accredited and has a high NBCOT pass rate. Perhaps if I lived in LA it would be a harder decision, but I was fortunate to get into one of the cheapest OT programs that happens to be in my area

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
:lol:SJSU 😊
Awesome! I didn’t apply to SJSU because I wouldn’t have been able to provide great GRE scores or an amazing letter of rec from an OT (two requirements which USC did not ask for) as COVID put a halt on 2 potential clinics that I was going to volunteer at. However, SJSU would have been my top choice! They seemed to have a very established OT program with faculty that have had great contributions in the OT realm. The international travel part of their OT program enticed me as well.
I feel that OT state schools are actually much harder to get in than USC (since most people would rather not pay 150K for a Master’s :oops:), despite the high regards & ranking that comes with USC. With that said, big congratulations on your acceptance and I hope you enjoy your program! :)

hi everyone! i also got an invite for phase II!! although lowkey i feel like everyone got the invitation so i'm not sure how much closer we are to being accepted 😭

The cost is the reason why I’m not doing phase 2. I got accepted into SJSU which is SO much cheaper and I will be able to live with my parents and commute while so I will be saving a ridiculous amount of money. At least a 90k difference between the 2 skls before interest of loans is taken into account. I will still have to take out loans, but not nearly as much. I applied for FAFSA a few months ago. I know people are like SJSU over USC? But it’s an excellent program with good faculty and high pass rate for NBCOT so I feel very confident in my decision. For USC I would obviously have to pay for a place in LA on top of the huge amount in loans. The general consensus seems to be go to the cheapest program that you get accepted too that is obviously accredited and has a high NBCOT pass rate. Perhaps if I lived in LA it would be a harder decision, but I was fortunate to get into one of the cheapest OT programs that happens to be in my area
Same! USC sounds and looks awesome but I can't justify the price, especially compared to that of a state school. Just looking out for my future self.

hi everyone! i also got an invite for phase II!! although lowkey i feel like everyone got the invitation so i'm not sure how much closer we are to being accepted 😭
At the same time, I believe they accept around 160 OT entry-level master’s students each year & then the new students get separated into 3 cohorts (I read from the USC OT thread last year & then I also saw the 2020 USC OT graduating class program card which had about the same number of OT master’s students who graduated in March). So quite a lot will get accepted at USC compared to other schools.

The USC OT website says "top applicants who are evaluated on the above criteria will be invited to Phase II". The top criteria being GPA, LOR, personal statement, OTCAS required statements and GRE(not this year tho). So I would believe that only a select amount of people would advance to phase 2. Also, the forum is likely more skewed to people reporting their acceptances than rejections so we actually have no idea the amount of people that made it to phase 2

Last edited:
The USC OT website says "top applicants who are evaluated on the above criteria will be invited to Phase II". The top criteria being GPA, LOR, personal statement, OTCAS required statements and GRE(not this year tho). So I would believe that only a select amount of people would advance to phase 2. Also, the forum is likely more skewed to people reporting their acceptances than rejections so we actually have no idea the amount of people that made it to phase 2
I agree. There’s probably less than 20 people who have shared that they got phase II invitation in this forum? Also, no one has shared that they got denied. Adding on to that, I do know of someone who did not receive the invitation and got denied. If we are that curious of the numbers, I guess someone can always ask the admissions director :lol:
Anyway, I wish the best for everybody! (Whatever happens, the right path for you will always come to you in the perfect timing).

Reactions: 3 users
Question! Has anyone updated their grades on OTCAS? Should we be expecting the gpa to update as well? My new grades still say unverified on my usc app even though OTCAS says they have my new transcript so I was wondering if I should still email and say I uploaded my grades or wait longer?

Question! Has anyone updated their grades on OTCAS? Should we be expecting the gpa to update as well? My new grades still say unverified on my usc app even though OTCAS says they have my new transcript so I was wondering if I should still email and say I uploaded my grades or wait longer?
Hey,
On one of the earlier emails all applicants received, the admissions director said

“If you submit additional materials after your application becomes verified, such as updated transcripts, please make sure to reach out to us directly to ensure that your application has been updated with the new information for the Admissions Committee's review.”

So I think you should email.

From my research I did, general theme for schools that have another step ie application then invited for interview, interview about twice as many selected applicants than they do spots. So maybe 500 applications that get narrowed down to 100 interviews for 50 spots. Not sure about USC specifically, but it’s my understanding that’s how most programs do it.

Awesome! I didn’t apply to SJSU because I wouldn’t have been able to provide great GRE scores or an amazing letter of rec from an OT (two requirements which USC did not ask for) as COVID put a halt on 2 potential clinics that I was going to volunteer at. However, SJSU would have been my top choice! They seemed to have a very established OT program with faculty that have had great contributions in the OT realm. The international travel part of their OT program enticed me as well.
I feel that OT state schools are actually much harder to get in than USC (since most people would rather not pay 150K for a Master’s :oops:), despite the high regards & ranking that comes with USC. With that said, big congratulations on your acceptance and I hope you enjoy your program! :)
Thank you! I’m hoping the international experience will be a possibility by the time I would go due to everything w/ Covid.
Same! USC sounds and looks awesome but I can't justify the price, especially compared to that of a state school. Just looking out for my future self.
exactly! It’s the same reason why I’m not going to Midwestern. Doesn’t seem worth it to me.

I was invited to phase 2 as well and was wondering how professional you all are gonna dress in your video? Part of me feels like we should dress as if it’s an interview and another side of me feels like they might like to see us more casual, for example if your chosen occupation is working out then wearing workout clothes might be fitting. What do you guys think?

I was invited to phase 2 as well and was wondering how professional you all are gonna dress in your video? Part of me feels like we should dress as if it’s an interview and another side of me feels like they might like to see us more casual, for example if your chosen occupation is working out then wearing workout clothes might be fitting. What do you guys think?
I would definitely err on the side of dressing more professional. I normally will just wear a blouse, cardigan and slacks. I have been to a zoom interview prior where you could see all the interviewees during the orientation bit~70 and a lot of the attendees were wearing a full suit. Maybe it was different in your OT shadowing experience, but in mine the places I went to the therapists were wearing business casual (no jeans/leggings), myself volunteering there I was expected to do the same. I am sure perhaps some places are fine with athleisure wear but I would definitely treat it as a regular professional interview though. Being a video format you don't really have to worry about shoes or pants really even but definitely waist up I would be more professional!

Hi everyone! Congrats on your invite to phase 2! I did not receive an invitation but wish you all the best!

Reactions: 4 users
I would definitely err on the side of dressing more professional. I normally will just wear a blouse, cardigan and slacks. I have been to a zoom interview prior where you could see all the interviewees during the orientation bit~70 and a lot of the attendees were wearing a full suit. Maybe it was different in your OT shadowing experience, but in mine the places I went to the therapists were wearing business casual (no jeans/leggings), myself volunteering there I was expected to do the same. I am sure perhaps some places are fine with athleisure wear but I would definitely treat it as a regular professional interview though. Being a video format you don't really have to worry about shoes or pants really even but definitely waist up I would be more professional!
Awesome thanks for the input! That’s what I figured, just wanted to check in with others. Best of luck!

Hello :) For the video, would it be a good idea to introduce ourselves first (ex. "Hello, my name is _______) and then answer the question or should we just go right into our answer? It's tough to fit everything in because one minute is so short! D:
Maybe try seeing if your answer fits under a min. first & then once you figured out if you have spare time for an intro then go for it?

I feel that they won’t penalize for no intro. due to very limited time frame for answers. Maybe they just wanna view these videos as quickly as possible.

Hello :) For the video, would it be a good idea to introduce ourselves first (ex. "Hello, my name is _______) and then answer the question or should we just go right into our answer? It's tough to fit everything in because one minute is so short! D:
For me I started with "hello" and ended with "thank you for letting me speak". I figured since the file is automatically titled with your name it wasn't necessary to repeat it.

Anyone else have anxiety hitting submit? lol. I didnt have enough time to introduce myself or even say hello or thank you but I'm sure they don't expect it to have an intro and whatnot. 1 minute is might not enough time for all of that for everyone

Anyone else have anxiety hitting submit? lol. I didnt have enough time to introduce myself or even say hello or thank you but I'm sure they don't expect it to have an intro and whatnot. 1 minute is might not enough time for all of that for everyone
omg yes, i keep filming and refilming my video!

I have been doing the same! I am kind of nervous.. Do any of you know if it is okay to submit the day of the deadline?

Was anyone else struggling with the one minute limit? I mean I get they don't want to listen to a full twenty minute answer but I hardly could explain my issue in one minute lol.

I have been doing the same! I am kind of nervous.. Do any of you know if it is okay to submit the day of the deadline?
I assume that as long as it is in by the end of January 4th, it is acceptable. I sure hope so, because I've been working full days for 3 weeks in a row with just 1 day off a week. I am utilizing all of today and tomorrow to complete it!

Was anyone else struggling with the one minute limit? I mean I get they don't want to listen to a full twenty minute answer but I hardly could explain my issue in one minute lol.
I feel the same way. I feel like I could only give a surface level answer so that I can fit everything I had to say within the time frame.

Hi everyone! Just received the email reminder for phase II. What do you think she meant by “next steps”? It was my understanding that phase II was the last step but maybe I’m wrong

Hi everyone! Just received the email reminder for phase II. What do you think she meant by “next steps”? It was my understanding that phase II was the last step but maybe I’m wrong
I kinda assumed that it was whether or not you got accepted and if you were receiving a scholarship? Like next step as in you deciding if you want to go or not? Or maybe Im being too optimistic that the process is over. I thought there was only one additional phase.
Also I can’t believe they’re going to watch the videos so fast, they might finish watching by the 2nd week of January

I refilmed like hundreds of times >.<
nothing better to humble you than seeing a video of yourself speaking
(I look like that when I talk?? :sick::lol:)

I also interpreted it as next steps as in how to log in/view your admission results, etc. in the next few weeks.

I agree. There’s probably less than 20 people who have shared that they got phase II invitation in this forum? Also, no one has shared that they got denied. Adding on to that, I do know of someone who did not receive the invitation and got denied. If we are that curious of the numbers, I guess someone can always ask the admissions director :lol:
Anyway, I wish the best for everybody! (Whatever happens, the right path for you will always come to you in the perfect timing).
Hey i got rejected 🥲 but I got accepted at West Coast and I have an interview with Stanbridge. Only applied to 3 schools for Summer 2021 cohort.