General Admissions & OTCAS USC OT 2020-2021 Applicants Stats/Updates/Q&A

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey i got rejected 🥲 but I got accepted at West Coast and I have an interview with Stanbridge. Only applied to 3 schools for Summer 2021 cohort.
Hey Congratulations!!! Acceptance is an acceptance!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Hey i got rejected 🥲 but I got accepted at West Coast and I have an interview with Stanbridge. Only applied to 3 schools for Summer 2021 cohort.
OMG congrats on West Coast!! I'm sorry to hear about USC but thank you for updating us and I wish you luck in your Stanbridge interview!

Reactions: 1 user
I refilmed like hundreds of times >.<
nothing better to humble you than seeing a video of yourself speaking
(I look like that when I talk?? :sick::lol:)
I feel this!! I have about 45 takes on my phone and 20 something on my laptop haha

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats on West Coast!! Getting into any program is an amazing accomplishment!! Good luck on your interview at Stanbridge! Which one are you leaning towards? Once I graduate, I’m thinking of applying to Stanbridge and maybe west coast OTD program if usc doesn’t work out and they haven’t run out of seats by May

did anyone else go a little over one minute for their phase ii vid? i think my final vid came out to one minute and 10 seconds cause i just couldn't fit all i needed to say in under one minute 😭 but good luck to everyone waiting to hear back!!

Congrats on West Coast!! Getting into any program is an amazing accomplishment!! Good luck on your interview at Stanbridge! Which one are you leaning towards? Once I graduate, I’m thinking of applying to Stanbridge and maybe west coast OTD program if usc doesn’t work out and they haven’t run out of seats by May
I prefer Stanbridge because of all the up to date tech they have :)

This waiting game is real guys!! Hoping we hear something this week :shifty:

Reactions: 9 users
This waiting is killing me! Good luck to everyone! :)

Reactions: 4 users
Considering that one of the two admissions team members is out on maternity leave, I'd assume that it might take a little longer than expected for Dr. Anvarizadeh to singlehandedly go through all the videos. I wouldnt be surprised if we dont even hear back by next week. Fingers crossed everyone! We got this!

Considering that one of the two admissions team members is out on maternity leave, I'd assume that it might take a little longer than expected for Dr. Anvarizadeh to singlehandedly go through all the videos. I wouldnt be surprised if we dont even hear back by next week. Fingers crossed everyone! We got this!
I believe she mentioned that the Admissions Committee will be reviewing the videos so it's probably not just her.

Reactions: 3 users
I believe she mentioned that the Admissions Committee will be reviewing the videos so it's probably not just her.
The student ambassadors at USC Chan have also said that they sometimes help with the admissions process so she is probably getting help from some of them as well.
Just a guess!

I feel so nervous!
We could possibly be notified tomorrow (email about second phase was sent on a Monday).
Did anyone else apply for the research assistant position?

Members don't see this ad :)
I feel so nervous!
We could possibly be notified tomorrow (email about second phase was sent on a Monday).
Did anyone else apply for the research assistant position?
Same here!! >.< I also applied for the R.A position.
This Monday is a school holiday though, so I’m not sure if they will send out emails tomorrow. Hopefully sometime this week though so we can at least have some closure!!

Same here!! >.< I also applied for the R.A position.
This Monday is a school holiday though, so I’m not sure if they will send out emails tomorrow. Hopefully sometime this week though so we can at least have some closure!!
Ooh you’re right. But hopefully our “dreams” get granted on Martin Luther King Jr.’s Day

I feel like the applicants just keep getting better so it gets more competitive each year 😭 Hoping to at least get waitlisted!!
Oh what makes you say that?
I actually only saw 1-2 person who shared their stats here?
The selection process is really unpredictable... the admissions committee come with their own biases (they are humans after all). Admissions committee #1 may think student X excels on all aspects, while committee #2 might not think the same way and actually thinks that student X lacks personality. In a way, a part of the admissions process is like a gamble that is beyond our control.

Oh I see. I am also very glad that they have a holistic admissions process. I am counting on it as well. I have definitely seen a number of accepted applicants with GPA’s less than the average GPA of accepted students, which gives me some sense of comfort.

In terms of increasing competitiveness, I believe true passion has great power that speaks for itself (mostly reflected through the essays). And a strong passion for a profession is something you either have or don’t! I hope that perspective helps lol!

I’ve been checking my email every five minutes!!!! The wait is killing me! Has anyone heard anything back?

I’ve been checking my email every five minutes!!!! The wait is killing me! Has anyone heard anything back?
I'm the exact same!! Just seeing notifications on this forum gives me instant anxiety haha. But I haven't heard anything yet either.

Dr. Anvarizadeh just sent an email to everyone saying we’ll be notified by the end of next week! :)

Anyone else have so much anxiety just to open the email saying we have to wait even longer? My mom and I were having a heart attack haha. But it doesn’t seem like we’ll be getting a rejection? It just says waitlist or acceptance

If I interpreted the email correctly, she mentioned that we will get “either an acceptance or a waitlist letter”— does that mean no rejection letters? :oops: Should I email her asking that or is that a dumb question haha

Anyone else have so much anxiety just to open the email saying we have to wait even longer? My mom and I were having a heart attack haha. But it doesn’t seem like we’ll be getting a rejection? It just says waitlist or acceptance
Oh oops haha we asked the same question at the same time!! But yes I’m confused about that as well^

Oh oops haha we asked the same question at the same time!! But yes I’m confused about that as well^
I feel like that’s what she means? If you end up asking, please let us know! Maybe the number of people who made it to round 2 is around the length of people they usually accept/ waitlist? If this is the case, I definitely have a lot less anxiety because even a waitlist from a competitive program is an honor (even if it unfortunately ends in a rejection)

I also got the email. I wonder if this was actually a secret Phase 3 where they had actually narrowed the applicant group again. I would think they would have told us about the acceptance/waitlist caveat if all of us are like this since Phase 2. Then again, all speculations and am excited to hear back!

Did anyone else here get accepted to Columbia last week? I have scoured the entire internet and cannot find a single thread, and I really want to chat with people. I have to submit my decision by February 1st, so I am anxiously awaiting USC’s response!

Reactions: 2 users
I wonder if any admissions decisions will be sent out this week. Or if all emails will be sent together next week?

I wonder if any admissions decisions will be sent out this week. Or if all emails will be sent together next week?
Last year it seemed like staggered decision letters but maybe it’ll be all at once? It seems we all got part 2 letters at the same time

Did anyone else here get accepted to Columbia last week? I have scoured the entire internet and cannot find a single thread, and I really want to chat with people. I have to submit my decision by February 1st, so I am anxiously awaiting USC’s response!
Congrats! Columbia has a good OT program, ive heard! It seems USC will send a decision prior to Feb 1st so hopefully you have the time you need to make a decision!

I really thought we would know by the end of this week so I’m kind of disappointed to hear that we won’t be hearing back until the end of next week :( I just want to know already lol. The anxiety about this is real

Maybe the Phase II part was to help them determine the scholarship amount they want to give each of us who applied for it? Not sure.
I definitely still am trying to figure out if all of us who got this very recent email are either accepted/waitlisted.

I feel like emails will be sent out next week
and not this week? Because from the phase 2 email last time, she said we’ll be notified of “the next steps” my mid-late January. So maybe this last email was the next step she was talking about and then the final step must be the one for next week (the final final one) lol

I feel like emails will be sent out next week
and not this week? Because from the phase 2 email last time, she said we’ll be notified of “the next steps” my mid-late January. So maybe this last email was the next step she was talking about and then the final step must be the one for next week (the final final one) lol
Omg I didn’t even think of that!😱 I think you’re right though

Now that I’m really analyzing things, maybe the purpose of the video was to determine who will be accepted OR waitlisted.

Now that I’m really analyzing things, maybe the purpose of the video was to determine who will be accepted OR waitlisted.
Yeahhhh I'm thinking so too!! Like as in they probably already sent out the rejection letters a while ago to those who weren't invited to Phase 2?

I'm in the same boat as all of you, and so nervous. Does anyone know how many people end up getting accepted after being waitlisted on average?

I'm in the same boat as all of you, and so nervous. Does anyone know how many people end up getting accepted after being waitlisted on average?
I don’t know how many people on average but I just went back to last years forum and saw 8 people from there got accepted off of the waitlist

I know! I am so nervous and now we have to wait another week! My heart dropped when I saw the email thinking it was a decision.

Since I am now overthinking everything. I know this year is the last year for the entry level masters, but does anyone know anything about what happens if we get into the masters program and then it switches to the doctoral program? We wouldn't get grandfathered in to the doctoral program, would we? I seem to remember admissions saying that the last masters cohort would run the 2 years and be unaffected, but now I am second guessing myself.

I know! I am so nervous and now we have to wait another week! My heart dropped when I saw the email thinking it was a decision.

Since I am now overthinking everything. I know this year is the last year for the entry level masters, but does anyone know anything about what happens if we get into the masters program and then it switches to the doctoral program? We wouldn't get grandfathered in to the doctoral program, would we? I seem to remember admissions saying that the last masters cohort would run the 2 years and be unaffected, but now I am second guessing myself.
Hi!! I’m currently going to USC for undergrad and I know a lot of people in the master’s program, and I’ve also heard this from the professors. USC has an accelerated track for the OTD if you already got your master’s in OT from there! So it’s pretty simple to continue on the doctoral track if you’re already enrolled as a master’s student, apparently you just sign a piece of paper and you don’t have to re-apply for the doctorate.

The difference with the new entry level OTD program is that now they’re going to require everyone in that cohort to graduate with a doctorate degree. If you were part of the master’s in OT program, they’re not going to require you to get your OTD unless you want to.

Congratulations. When did you apply to Columbia?
I have not seen a Columbia's thread anywhere either. I have not heard back from them yet.....

Congratulations. When did you apply to Columbia?
I have not seen a Columbia's thread anywhere either. I have not heard back from them yet.....
Thank you! I submitted my application back in mid-November. The portal says that applicants should expect to be notified of decision in March/April, so I wouldn't worry if you haven't heard back yet! I suspect that they want my answer so early (February 1st) so that they can send the next wave of acceptances.

I was also accepted to Columbia! I'm happy to chat about decisions and could maybe answer some of your questions about USC? I have a ton of friends in the program and went to USC for undergrad! (-:

For the Division Tuition Scholarship, does anybody know if this is something that most accepted applicants who applied for the scholarship receive? I'm also curious to know what the average - highest offer is for this scholarship.

I was also accepted to Columbia! I'm happy to chat about decisions and could maybe answer some of your questions about USC? I have a ton of friends in the program and went to USC for undergrad! (-:
I would love that!! Can I DM you?

hi! I just found out about this forum and am so glad that I did! The anticipation is killing meeeee hopefully we hear back by this week!

Reactions: 7 users
I also just started participating in these forums after observing for a while. I'm literally jumping at every email and can't wait to finally hear back!

Definitely no use in crying over spilled milk, but is anyone else here overthinking in the midst of the waiting process and thinking stuff like “wow I could’ve done the video much better l/I should’ve said this/shouldn’t have said that!” LOL

Reactions: 9 users
Definitely no use in crying over spilled milk, but is anyone else here overthinking in the midst of the waiting process and thinking stuff like “wow I could’ve done the video much better l/I should’ve said this/shouldn’t have said that!” LOL
Oh god yes I feel you...I have a good feeling about today!! But I have literally woke up thinking that everyday this week lol

Reactions: 6 users
Oh god yes I feel you...I have a good feeling about today!! But I have literally woke up thinking that everyday this week lol
Hahahaha I feel this!
“Mid-late January” = last 3 days of January .-.

same! I keep thinking "today could be the day". I wonder if the weekend is potentially an option too but I assumed before Friday