USC Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
did anyone from the AC list hear back yet or knows someone who did?

I'm pretty sure they want a more holistic view of the applicants, so they're going to wait until the 2nd round of interviews before making any decisions regarding the AC applicants. Sucks...but what can we do.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm pretty sure they want a more holistic view of the applicants, so they're going to wait until the 2nd round of interviews before making any decisions regarding the AC applicants. Sucks...but what can we do.

it wouldn't be fair if they accept a lot more 2nd round applicants compared to the 1st round though. i still don't understand why they only accepted 15% of their first interviewed applicants. this totally sucks :( they changed a lot this year. we can only pray for the best at this point.

USC states that they only need 2 letter of recommendations. Is there an advantage of having more LORs then? So if you have 4 LORs, do they read all 4 or do they just randomly select 2? Does anyone know this info?

Members don't see this ad :)
it wouldn't be fair if they accept a lot more 2nd round applicants compared to the 1st round though. i still don't understand why they only accepted 15% of their first interviewed applicants. this totally sucks :( they changed a lot this year. we can only pray for the best at this point.

They're probably experimenting with quality of applicants vs. timing of submission. If they accept too many people from the first round of interviews, then they may be skimping out on qualified applicants who apply later in the process. Just because you weren't accepted first round doesn't mean you're not a good applicant, it just means they want to compare people from different interview dates and pick the best candidates. It does suck though since they are tweaking rolling admissions to have all the advantages on their part and all the disadvantages on the applicant's part (applying early without it making much of a difference!) Hang in there, at least you got an interview :)

USC states that they only need 2 letter of recommendations. Is there an advantage of having more LORs then? So if you have 4 LORs, do they read all 4 or do they just randomly select 2? Does anyone know this info?

They only read the first two if you have more than that, or thats what my impression is.

They're probably experimenting with quality of applicants vs. timing of submission. If they accept too many people from the first round of interviews, then they may be skimping out on qualified applicants who apply later in the process. Just because you weren't accepted first round doesn't mean you're not a good applicant, it just means they want to compare people from different interview dates and pick the best candidates. It does suck though since they are tweaking rolling admissions to have all the advantages on their part and all the disadvantages on the applicant's part (applying early without it making much of a difference!) Hang in there, at least you got an interview :)

ditto

interview invite for jan 21!

I too received an interview invite for jan 21! :)

I just received invitation today too. Jan 21 @ 8:00am

May I ask you whether the invitation came by mail or by email?

Congratulations to all of you guys on the invitations! USC let you know more than a month in advance, rather than 2 weeks for me, so that means they are expecting you guys to prepare well and be ready. Make sure you answer to all of the questions on this site about the interview. If you have any question(s), feel free to PM me and I will help you as much as possible. :) :) :)

Received an interview invite via email today around 3pm! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Will USC notify us if they take off any applicant from the AC list? Did anyone call USC to ask why they accepted only 15 people? I know they want to explore the applicant pool but 15 is really low, so I was wondering if there's another reason. USC has been my #1 school since forever. Do you think it's wise to e-mail them and ask what we did wrong? I mean .. I want to improve myself of course.

Is it me or does having the very first interview date give a slight disadvantage? I mean, they usually interview more people and accept a less percentage of us. :( if you know anything, please update us !

ps. good luck to all the january interviewees, congrats!!

congrats! btw, looks like you've been accepted to a bunch of schools! congrats :)

Thanks! I applied to a lot of schools just because I wasn't confident that I would get into an good in-state school. USC has been my #1 since high school so I'm aiming to get in to this school. :)

Actually, it might be better to be accepted later on rather than earlier so we don't have to pay the deposit without knowing what other schools will accept us. If we're accepted later, we can decide whether we want to attend USC out of all the schools that accepted us.

Will USC notify us if they take off any applicant from the AC list? Did anyone call USC to ask why they accepted only 15 people? I know they want to explore the applicant pool but 15 is really low, so I was wondering if there's another reason. USC has been my #1 school since forever. Do you think it's wise to e-mail them and ask what we did wrong? I mean .. I want to improve myself of course.

Is it me or does having the very first interview date give a slight disadvantage? I mean, they usually interview more people and accept a less percentage of us. :( if you know anything, please update us !

ps. good luck to all the january interviewees, congrats!!

They will email you if your name gets taken off of the AC list so don't bother calling them - it might annoy them. You should wait 3-4 weeks after the Jan.21st interview and call admission to check on your status if they have not contact you. Be patient and I hope you will get accepted in. Did you apply to other pharm. schools? It would be best to prep for other school interviews...that will keep your mind off of USC as you wait for the results. I wish you the best of luck Lilshybabu. :thumbup: :thumbup:

Thanks! I applied to a lot of schools just because I wasn't confident that I would get into an good in-state school. USC has been my #1 since high school so I'm aiming to get in to this school. :)

Hey there lilipad. I see that you have jumped from Western thread to USC. Congrats on your invitation! I hope you'll do well and get in :). Best of luck to you mate :thumbup: :) :thumbup:

Congrats to those of you who received Jan 21st interview. If you guys don't mind me asking, when did you guys receive your evaluation letter?

Got my invite yesterday for the 01/21/2012 interview at 11AM. See you there.

They will email you if your name gets taken off of the AC list so don't bother calling them - it might annoy them. You should wait 3-4 weeks after the Jan.21st interview and call admission to check on your status if they have not contact you. Be patient and I hope you will get accepted in. Did you apply to other pharm. schools? It would be best to prep for other school interviews...that will keep your mind off of USC as you wait for the results. I wish you the best of luck Lilshybabu. :thumbup: :thumbup:
But its really hard :( after all the processes that we went through, they just accepted 15 people its really sad.. now they will compare us to those people who applied a month ago..then whats the point of applying that early...I wish I knew the reason,at least waiting would be much easier... last year they they invited 150 people and accepted 55 people for the first round ..and a week after it they accepted some of AC too! now this year they accept 15 out 99....and nothing else..

But its really hard :( after all the processes that we went through, they just accepted 15 people its really sad.. now they will compare us to those people who applied a month ago..then whats the point of applying that early...I wish I knew the reason,at least waiting would be much easier... last year they they invited 150 people and accepted 55 people for the first round ..and a week after it they accepted some of AC too! now this year they accept 15 out 99....and nothing else..

this is exactly how i feel. you're not alone :( they're so unpredictable this year. now we're going to be compared to the the rest of the applicant pool. i am so thankful for the opportunity, but because i am so serious about getting into USC (it's my #1 school), it sucks to be on the AC list. let's hope and pray that they'll accept 15-30 more people from our cycle! this is all we can do right now.

this is exactly how i feel. you're not alone :( they're so unpredictable this year. now we're going to be compared to the the rest of the applicant pool. i am so thankful for the opportunity, but because i am so serious about getting into USC (it's my #1 school), it sucks to be on the AC list. let's hope and pray that they'll accept 15-30 more people from our cycle! this is all we can do right now.

It's discouraging, but look on the bright side :) Concentrate on UCSD and UCSF :D

I actually applied first week of Aug. and didn't get my interview offer until now. Also, I've had friends who applied in Sept/Oct and got the Oct interview date. So I think every interview date has a mix of people who applied different times.

I actually applied first week of Aug. and didn't get my interview offer until now. Also, I've had friends who applied in Sept/Oct and got the Oct interview date. So I think every interview date has a mix of people who applied different times.

Haha yeah its weird. It should say ... "We take rolling admissions.... sort of..." lol

Yaa the only thing that we can do is pray ...I have a friend who applied mid Oct and got the interview....I am wondering how many people are getting interview for Jan round..if its like last year it should be less than first round...but with this luck that I am seeing maybe its more...

An update, I had a question so I had to call admission , they told me something intresting. From next interview they will start rejecting people which is something new compare to last year.So for next interview there are 3 status : acceptance, rejection and AC. And this is the benefit of applying early they didn’t get rejected ,they all went on AC and no matter what their application will be reviewed again.

An update, I had a question so I had to call admission , they told me something intresting. From next interview they will start rejecting people which is something new compare to last year.So for next interview there are 3 status : acceptance, rejection and AC. And this is the benefit of applying early they didn’t get rejected ,they all went on AC and no matter what their application will be reviewed again.

Ooh, that's discomforting... thanks for the info though!! I'll have to own my Jan. interview.

From what I know of about USC, applicants have their application converted into a number. With this number, they are either going to be be above the cutoff range or below the cutoff range. According to my friends at USC, usually applicants for the October and March interviews on average do not have the best numbers. Rather, January and February do. This is how it works. Before the October interview, USC has only some of their potential applicant pool. However, because their applicant pool is smaller, it was supposedly thought that if you were being compared to a smaller applicant pool, you would have a higher chance of getting in. For Jan and Feb interviews, USC has already reviewed all applicants in their applicant pool, allowing them to invite Jan and Feb applicants from the top of the total applicant list now. However, between each interview date, all applicants are reevaluated and compared, helping them make their decisions for who gets the next interview and who gets accepted. March interviews are trying to fill in the remaining spots for the next class.

What I assume is that USC has raised their standard for what they expect out of their applicants in the interview. The interview is factoring more into the numbers and thus fewer applicants are getting accepted. Last year, they may have accepted more people off AC a week after the October interview because by that point, they have already received and reviewed all the applicants in their pool. Then, they'll take a look back at the October interviews and see that maybe they did like more of them than they originally thought. Maybe also this year, the applicants are more competitive. These are just my conclusions.

As for not getting in the October round, think of it like this. You still have 3 more chances of getting reevaluated! That's more than what the rest of us have. I understand just how badly you want to get into USC, but be optimistic about it. We are still early into the application period. Hang in there!

wow thanks for the update! that means us october AC applicants may get rejected also. so at this point, we should actually be thankful to receive another chance. let's hope and pray we'll hear good news! why does everything have to change this year? haha.

good luck to all the january interviewees! you guys have a whole month and the break to prepare. best advice is, be yourself and relax (something i wish i did). as for us october ac applicants, best of luck and i hope we'll hear good news!

I think after each interview session, AC applications will be reviewed again. After the review, admission will contact them as to whether they'll be placed on continued AC, denied or admitted. I am hoping for more admission for the people who were put in AC like myself. :xf::xf::xf:

Hello
anyone here applying to USC that isn't from California? I don't live in California but I am interested in applying next year and was wondering if anyone has had any luck with admissions as an out-of-state student (even though USC is a private school). Thank you!

I haven't receive an interview invite yet. I thought I would at least make it to the interview stage... But they did send me an evaluation letter on Nov 30th. When will they send invites for the Feb interviews?

I haven't receive an interview invite yet. I thought I would at least make it to the interview stage... But they did send me an evaluation letter on Nov 30th. When will they send invites for the Feb interviews?

I think they are still sending out emails for the Jan 21st date because I just got mine today.

hm, what is evaluation letter? is it just a confirmation that they received the material?

hm, what is evaluation letter? is it just a confirmation that they received the material?
No this is the second email that you will get. It shows which courses u took and which ones u r missing...

Congrats wishing and good luck with your interview. I think you are in the Western thread, right? :)

Yes! I was talking to you on the Western thread too! :) good memory!
Are you super excited to be attending USC this fall??
Ah! I hope this interview goes well...

Yes! I was talking to you on the Western thread too! :) good memory!
Are you super excited to be attending USC this fall??
Ah! I hope this interview goes well...

No wonder your username is familiar :). Yup, I'm super excited for fall to come. I hope you will do well and see you in the fall :). GL :thumbup:

Hello
anyone here applying to USC that isn't from California? I don't live in California but I am interested in applying next year and was wondering if anyone has had any luck with admissions as an out-of-state student (even though USC is a private school). Thank you!

Hi, I got accepted as an out-of-state student. PM me if you have any questions. :)

If anyone has been accepted to this school, please let me know so you can be added to the Official Roll Call for Class of 2015/2016. Please post in the sticky thread your acceptances and the program you will be attending (if accepted to multiple schools).

Here is the link to the sticky thread:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=847419

:):thumbup: