Usmle Passing Rates??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

3dee

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is there a list somewhere of Med schools and their USMLE step 1 and 2 pass rates???

Members don't see this ad.

Passing isn't as important as scoring well enough to get into the residency program you like.

Is there a list somewhere of Med schools and their USMLE step 1 and 2 pass rates???

I think better than 90% of all US allo med students at every school pass the USMLE. As the prior poster indicated since Step 1 is the biggest criteria used by residency directors, the goal for most is less about passing but more to score highly and get that residency of your dreams.

Members don't see this ad :)
There is no official list. Some schools will tell you their pass rates when you interview with them. As other posters have mentioned, more than 90% of U.S. allopathic students pass on the first try.

Furthermore, schools Step 1 averages all tend to be pretty similar. Most people here seem to say that your step 1 performance is not related to where you went to school. Everyone is going to teach you the same information, how well you do depends on how well you prepare for it.

It's like picking a UG school based on MCAT averages. Wouldn't that be ridiculous?

Passing rates of USMLE Step I are meaningless in the sense that if you attend a school with a 99% pass rate and you are that 1% that does not pass, you have a problem. As others have said, it's the USMLE Step I score that matters most.

Attending any medical school in this country can provide you with the material that you need to do well on USMLE Step I. It's up to the individual to master the material and rock the exam.

No matter which medical school (in this country) you attend, you can be the person who aces this exam with excellent preparation and mastery of your coursework.