USMLE Step 1 -- Pass / Fail Starting Jan 2022

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
All this proves is that FM is less competitive, so of course the people who do poorly or fail boards go into it. Weren't you the same one who posted above that the reason it's not competitive is because reimbursement is low and there's midlevel encroachment?:
Both of the posts can be true. I certainly believe they are.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
"same kind of work."

Same as? I'm assuming you're talking about students gunning for ortho, derm, ophtho, or other competitive fields.

I'm not saying they are. They don't need to. Like I said in the earlier post, why waste you're time on useless crap from step 1 and lectures when you don't need to? But that's not to say they're all incompetent and lazily wondering around the hospital during 3rd year, which is what a lot of the posts in this thread are implying.
Everything is ‘useless crap’ to lazy students.

edit: I am not claiming all students who want FM are lazy. Just that a disproportionate amount of lazy students are going FM so studying ‘doesn’t matter.’

Reactions: 3 users
Step 2 CK is not an exam that is used in every specialty for screening. but even with that point either it is that people want to go into primary care dont work hard enough to be average in terms of step 2 ck which is a clinical exam for management, or people that perform the worse end up going into primary care. Either way the people not working hard are filling up the positions enough to make it the specialty with the lowest scores in terms of both AOA members and step 2 ck averages. So there are either less hard working people on average in FM or a greater number of less hard working people on average go into FM and overwhelm the few that are hardworking.

I am going to be honest here. But in a field like FM where prevention is key, it's more important for clinicians to have soft skills in order to get the pts on board for prevention than to know every c/i and SEs.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I am going to be honest here. But in a field like FM where prevention is key, it's more important for clinicians to have soft skills in order to get the pts on board for prevention than to know every c/i and SEs.
this is ludicrous on multiple levels. 1 you are discounting the effort required to do Primary care well, and manage and identify a broad arrange of conditions both common and uncommon. 2. . You are acting like lazy people inherently have better soft skills which I have yet to see any evidence for.

Reactions: 7 users
I cannot agree with this one, if that was true NPs would make great primary care. I think being studious is more important in FM than you are giving it credit for.

I have seen it too often in primary care. You can be a smart doc, but if you come across as a d-bag or know-it-all in the office, the pt will go to another person. It's a delicate process that requires a special touch. Honestly, I prefer to cut to the chase myself and can't see myself thriving in a PP setting for primary care unless it's in a special setting for a specific group of pts (e.g. vets at VA or military installations).

No, it's not essential to know every C/I or SEs in an outpatient setting when the disease isn't acute and urgent at the M3 level. 70-80% of the common conditions along with 70-80% of C/I and SEs will suffice. Baseline of FM interns might be in the 40-50% range, but they have 3 years of residency to get to that level.

Hi I am a matriculating DO student. I am pretty nervous about all of this. I have had 6 DO interviews (turned two down at newer schools) have been accepted to 4 DO programs. Currently deciding between Western and CCOM. I have had 3 MD interviews. I was waitlisted at 1 MD school and have not heard back from the other 2 (but one of them was a couple months ago so hopefully I can get a waitlist). @AnatomyGrey12 or @BorntobeDO? do you think it would be worth it for me to retake my MCAT since it’s kind of low and reapply MD since I have had some success this cycle.

Hi I am a matriculating DO student. I am pretty nervous about all of this. I have had 6 DO interviews (turned two down at newer schools) have been accepted to 4 DO programs. Currently deciding between Western and CCOM. I have had 3 MD interviews. I was waitlisted at 1 MD school and have not heard back from the other 2 (but one of them was a couple months ago so hopefully I can get a waitlist). @AnatomyGrey12 or @BorntobeDO? do you think it would be worth it for me to retake my MCAT since it’s kind of low and reapply MD since I have had some success this cycle.

Yes. I would without a doubt. Go to the 3 MD interviews. If you're on the waitlist, you need to be persistent by calling that program every week so that everyone will know you. You will move up the rank list and become a MD. Good luck.

What are your goals. Or rather, what kind of options do you want?

ON the other hand it doesn’t matter. MD will make everything easier and will convey so many advantages. Yes I think you should improve your MCAT and go MD.

You are the classic kind of student that DO schools love to trap. Especially with the uncertainty at an all time high I would do everything I could to go MD at this point. There will always be more DO schools to get into later.

Last edited:
For DO students... now you have to sit through a P/F USMLE Step 1 just so you have a chance to Ace the Step 2 to impress ACGME Program directors....

Tough break, guys.

Also, don't count on Ex-DO programs for competitive specialty. Most of the Ex-DO Derm Program Directors I talk to don't save spots for DO students. They just want to have the best people. I imagine the sentiment is the same for other competitive specialties. Only the programs with Osteopathic Recognition has that level of commitment; there are only 4 derm programs in the nation.
This is the problem with our former AOA, we are much more meritocractic than the MD programs were. Every DO derm would love a resident from Harvard.

thanks solodyn for being loyal to us. Your one of the good ones.

What's stopping a DO student from skipping step 1 and just taking CK?

Thanks for your responses. People have been kind of negative (family and friends) telling me I am ungrateful and that I have a chance at medical school so I should take it. But I just want to give myself the best chance. I am really interested in OBGYN.

Step 2 CK is not an exam that is used in every specialty for screening. but even with that point either it is that people want to go into primary care dont work hard enough to be average in terms of step 2 ck which is a clinical exam for management, or people that perform the worse end up going into primary care. Either way the people not working hard are filling up the positions enough to make it the specialty with the lowest scores in terms of both AOA members and step 2 ck averages. So there are either less hard working people on average in FM or a greater number of less hard working people on average go into FM and overwhelm the few that are hardworking.

The points you guys were making was that people that wanted to go into FM/primary care from the start were the laziest. Now you're saying either they're the laziest or the laziest med students are forced in to FM/primary care. Those are two very different things. I guess I'm not sure what the point of your comments were except to throw shade at those who go into FM/primary care.

It honestly doesn't matter though.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)

I'm confused. Med schools get the brightest and hardest-working people. There are naturally going to be those who score below average on the Steps even if they worked hard. People with below average scores tend to opt for FM.

Anyway we can take CK in time before VSAS and have a score when we apply for sub-Is? Or is that not reasonable with a traditional curriculum?

It would be difficult without finishing your core rotations. Also, many schools actually don't approve you to take it before the end of 3rd year.

You cannot do that anymore, they made the exams sequential. You have to take step 1 to take step 2 now.
I thought it was just Step 2 CS that required Step 1 Pass to take?
If not... well, there goes another $600. :(

This is not true anymore, they changed it yesterday.

Seriously? Well that sucks. Was this whole thing a ploy to screw over DOs? Seriously, because who else does this truly effect. The only ones who might only take Step 2 CK are DOs.

Also, regarding my point, it was that my experience with the majority of people aiming for PC from the start was that they were just as driven as the average med student. There's certainly a lot of "less driven" people that get forced into the field though because they have less options due to performance after Step/Level 1. I never really disagreed with that.

Reactions: 2 users
Just a few encouraging thoughts from a DO currently in residency who participates in the interview process:

First off, breathe. Whether you're for or against this change doesn't really matter at this point. It has happened. I'm sorry for those that this affects, but this is not the end-all.

Second, focus on the things you CAN control. There has been a lot of talk on this forum, Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, etc... about how this will negatively impact DO's and the like, because we don't have the same kind of access to opportunities, research labs, etc, that some of the large well-known MD institutions do. Let me offer some ideas of what you can still do to differentiate yourself, outside of grades (things that ALSO matter on your residency applications):

- Research/Publish/Present: research in medical school comes in many shapes and forms. Many imagine research to always be in a lab, a double-blinded case-control experiment. That being said, very few actually participate in this (and if they do, most are not mentioned even as an author as a medical student). Case Reports are easy. All you need is an interesting patient on a rotation and an attending who says "yes you can write this up." Review articles are possible. Reach out to residencies that are nearby you and see what projects residents are working on and if they need help from a medical student. If you get published, great! If you don't, it still counts as a research activity. Submit to conferences. Not everyone is going to get published in the New England Journal of Medicine or JAMA, or present at the premiere conference in the USA for a specialty. Present at your local "Research Appreciation Day," Regional Conferences, State Chapter conferences, etc. These all count. ***Word of caution when submitting research, make sure you don't just submit research to any journal, as some can be predatory. Research these thoroughly and ask the advice of attendings before submission.

- Volunteer: many cities have free clinics, homeless shelters, etc. If they don't, help them get formed. Volunteer with local charities, organizations (both medical and non-medical). Volunteer at a church, sing to the elderly at a nursing home, participate in the Big Brother / Big Sister program. Assist with the Boy Scouts or Girl Scouts. If a medical mission presents itself, great! (Never personally did one and still matched). Volunteer in things you are passionate about, things that make you well-rounded and things that you can talk about freely. This doesn't have to be hours per week, even just a 30-minute block of tutoring high schoolers or mentoring undergrad students can count.

- Leadership: join student organizations at the school you are in. If you see a club that should be there and isn't, then work with the administration to start one. Many national societies have medical student councils you can apply to join (both osteopathic and non-osteopathic). Again, don't just do it to put it on the CV. Make something out of it. Accomplish something. Get motivated by it and see how you can improve it.

- Learn a Language: I'm serious about this one. Learning a language and becoming proficient in a language can be done during medical school. Duolingo is a free app you can download on your cellphones or access on your laptop.

- Awards: Seek these out at medical schools. Many scholarships only have a few people who apply to them. Sigma Sigma Phi, Gold Humanism Honor Society are 2 you can join during medical school. Taking an "Honors" Class, if your school has those. Apply to national scholarships through SOMA, AOA, etc. Study hard and make the dean's list. Graduate with "Honors" from medical school. You can control these.

I made a goal when I started osteopathic medical school that I would do something every week that would contribute to my overall application and/or CV. Whether this was working a little on a research project, a volunteer activity, daily studying a language, working on a club, etc. I cannot tell you how many people I saw who had great board scores, but little substance. Make yourself stand out. Be an advocate for yourselves. The application is not something you can cram for. It's a 3-year process, plus the few months of interviewing/ranking and finally a match. Work on it a little every week, and things will still work out. I'm not trying to minimize the importance of boards, class ranks, letters of recommendation, etc, but how the boards are graded, how smart everyone else is in your class and what others write about you is out of your control. Breathe and focus on what YOU can control.

Reactions: 21 users
It used to be nothing. But now it's different. From the same website that announced the pass fail change "The USMLE program is implementing an examination prerequisite for Step 2 Clinical Skills (CS)—specifically, all examinees will be required to pass Step 1 in order to take Step 2 CS. Further details are forthcoming and this policy will take effect no earlier than March 1, 2021."

It used to be nothing. But now it's different. From the same website that announced the pass fail change "The USMLE program is implementing an examination prerequisite for Step 2 Clinical Skills (CS)—specifically, all examinees will be required to pass Step 1 in order to take Step 2 CS. Further details are forthcoming and this policy will take effect no earlier than March 1, 2021."
dang it, I have been used as part of misinformation deleteing old post. Nobody cares about CS.

Seriously? Well that sucks. Was this whole thing a ploy to screw over DOs? Seriously, because who else does this truly effect. The only ones who might only take Step 2 CK are DOs.

Also, regarding my point, it was that my experience with the majority of people aiming for PC from the start was that they were just as driven as the average med student. There's certainly a lot of "less driven" people that get forced into the field though because they have less options due to performance after Step/Level 1. I never really disagreed with that.
So I cannot find a source for the CK thing and am not sure where I read it (I suspect the MD side where someone was not specific about which part of step). When I went to look it up, it appears only CS has changed, which really doesn’t matter for us. Apologies I am not trying to spread false info.

I cannot find any requirement to take step 1 before step 2 CK on the actual NBME.

Last edited:
I hope they all go P/F. I could see the NBME doing that first to try and appear like they were leading. But it really doesn’t matter to me anymore.

Do you mean the NBOME? Lol I actually thought the same thing and said that to my wife this morning, "watch the NBOME just make Level 2 P/F too in order to make it seem like it was their idea"

Do you mean the NBOME? Lol I actually thought the same thing and said that to my wife this morning, "watch the NBOME just make Level 2 P/F too in order to make it seem like it was their idea"
Freudian slip, my brain doesn’t acknowledge the O. Yeah that’s what I meant.

• Haha
Freudian slip, my brain doesn’t acknowledge the O. Yeah that’s what I meant.

P/F with 8% failure rate is coming.

Specialty focused board is also coming. LOL. Cash cow is about to get fatter.

It would be difficult without finishing your core rotations. Also, many schools actually don't approve you to take it before the end of 3rd year.
I took Step 2 CK in march of my 3rd year. At least my school couldn't have cared less if and when I took it because it doesn't reflect on them at all. They were too busy making ridiculous hoops for us to jump through before we took COMLEX II

Lol, your offended by his observation, which by the way, has been my experience as well. It’s not a mindset, it’s just what we see happening in general.
This has also been my experience. Most of my classmates who are going FM spend the weekends having a blast. I envy then at times.

You aint got a wife bro.

So what about the mid competitive residencies? Like Radiology, Gas, EM, General Surgery, PM&R? Especially if one targets the former AOA programs? I've been hoping for General Surgery and now it's going to be impossible for someone in c/o of 2023? What about fellowships after IM/Surgery?

I never wanted to be a neurosurgeon, uro, derm or ENT and knew that going to DO for those was near impossible, especially for an average student like myself but I really thought I could still pursue surgery. I'm losing sleep over this stuff....

I took Step 2 CK in march of my 3rd year. At least my school couldn't have cared less if and when I took it because it doesn't reflect on them at all. They were too busy making ridiculous hoops for us to jump through before we took COMLEX II

Did you also take Step 1? The school has to only really verify the first time, so if they sent in the forms for registration/passport for Step 1, then you wouldn't even need to tell them about Step 2.

That might help it with it's variability. How can you accurately assess knowledge if you don't give the time to apply it?
Eh who really cares? I'm just happy that I can take it this summer and it's 48 (why not 50 weirdo DOs???) less questions that I have to pretend to give a **** about knowing I already took step 2 CK. It just means I get to finish faster and drink a beer. See that's a positive if I ever saw one.

• Haha
So what about the mid competitive residencies? Like Radiology, Gas, EM, General Surgery, PM&R? Especially if one targets the former AOA programs? I've been hoping for General Surgery and now it's going to be impossible for someone in c/o of 2023? What about fellowships after IM/Surgery?

I never wanted to be a neurosurgeon, uro, derm or ENT and knew that going to DO for those was near impossible, especially for an average student like myself but I really thought I could still pursue surgery. I'm losing sleep over this stuff....

I can't speak for other fields, but In regards to PM&R, my specialty, PM&R has always been a very DO-friendly field. There were only a handful of programs that were apart of the AOA prior to the merger anyways. Most individuals I knew during my application season applied to programs that were primarily in the ACGME match. That being said, PM&R is getting a lot more competitive now and there are candidates, like in any field, that do go un-matched, those being MD, DO and IMG/MD. It all goes back to making yourself as competitive as an applicant as you can, both in grades/boards, and in the "extra" things (research, volunteering, leadership, presentations/publications), and in PM&R-knowledge.

I can't speak for other fields, but In regards to PM&R, my specialty, PM&R has always been a very DO-friendly field. There were only a handful of programs that were apart of the AOA prior to the merger anyways. Most individuals I knew during my application season applied to programs that were primarily in the ACGME match. That being said, PM&R is getting a lot more competitive now and there are candidates, like in any field, that do go un-matched, those being MD, DO and IMG/MD. It all goes back to making yourself as competitive as an applicant as you can, both in grades/boards, and in the "extra" things (research, volunteering, leadership, presentations/publications), and in PM&R-knowledge.
I think people underestimate the competitiveness of PMR now. It’s not a show up and be chill kind of field anymore. 100% of the spots filled last year in the match (none went to soap) and I believe that the match rate was in the 60’s. It’s a small field with less than 100 programs and the word has gotten out about the chillness of the specialty. I expect competition to only increase.

Last edited:
they wont. all REPORTED scores will be p/f by 2022.
I believe this is false. All scores will be reported out after 2022 to be pass/no pass BUT anyone who took it before will be shown as a score. Otherwise, if someone does a fellowship and waits a year and tries to match in 2022, it would turn their score to pass/no pass which isn't what's happening.

Unless you saw exact information saying that. But I've been watching youtube videos with residency directors, that is what it seems like is happening.

I believe this is false. All scores will be reported out after 2022 to be pass/no pass BUT anyone who took it before will be shown as a score. Otherwise, if someone does a fellowship and waits a year and tries to match in 2022, it would turn their score to pass/no pass which isn't what's happening.

Unless you saw exact information saying that. But I've been watching youtube videos with residency directors, that is what it seems like is happening.
Theyre saying if u take step 1 in 2021 its gonna stay 3 digit?

So whats going to happen to schools whose students take it 3rd year? That means you'd have a handful of applicants with number scores and a handful with just pass/fail

I feel that they should come out with a confirmed date on when this is going into effect prior to April 30th so the most of us can make a more informed school decision.

I know that you should pick the best program that you can anyways but there are always financial and socially-related reasons one would pick a less prestigious school over a better one.

Theyre saying if u take step 1 in 2021 its gonna stay 3 digit?
Yes I believe it will be akin to individuals who took the old MCAT got a 2 digit score(like 33) compared to the new MCAT(3 digit score).

So if you take it in 2021 June, you are rated in numerical way. If you take it in 2022, its going to be pass/fail.

Of course, I have no idea if this is 100% true because they can literally do whatever they want. If they want, they can make it pass/fail and make the cut off 230 to pass. Who knows.

So whats going to happen to schools whose students take it 3rd year? That means you'd have a handful of applicants with number scores and a handful with just pass/fail

This is exactly the issue. I think that's going to be a HUGE issue for residency directors. And it may mean they start to lean on STEP2CK for people who took it pass/no pass. However, it looks like a complete mess right now.

Also this is the ESTIMATED date. That is the absolute earliest, it could be delayed or changed again.

Yes I believe it will be akin to individuals who took the old MCAT got a 2 digit score(like 33) compared to the new MCAT(3 digit score).

That's a totally different situation entirely - there is a massive difference between:

1) Changing the scoring system but still being able to compare percentiles.
2) Changing the scoring system from numerous to p/f with no way to compare a Pass with any numerical score whatsoever.

That is why it is the most logical thing to keep the scores REPORTED as P/F regardless of when you took the exam. I am willing to bet that is how it's going to be. But like you said - who knows...

So if you take it in 2021 June, you are rated in numerical way. If you take it in 2022, its going to be pass/fail.

Of course, I have no idea if this is 100% true because they can literally do whatever they want. If they want, they can make it pass/fail and make the cut off 230 to pass. Who knows.

This is exactly the issue. I think that's going to be a HUGE issue for residency directors. And it may mean they start to lean on STEP2CK for people who took it pass/no pass. However, it looks like a complete mess right now.

Also this is the ESTIMATED date. That is the absolute earliest, it could be delayed or changed again.
I think that it will either be delayed by a year or set on January 1st 2022 because it would be illogical to delay it until mid-year so that half of a class takes it numerically (those that take it in 18 months traditionally) and half gets pass/fail. This would be very confusing in terms of matching when 2024 comes around.

That's a totally different situation entirely - there is a massive difference between:

1) Changing the scoring system but still being able to compare percentiles.
2) Changing the scoring system from numerous to p/f with no way to compare a Pass with any numerical score whatsoever.

That is why it is the most logical thing to keep the scores REPORTED as P/F regardless of when you took the exam. I am willing to bet that is how it's going to be. But like you said - who knows...
Thats the thing, they may change the scoring system as well in terms of what a passing rate is(This was also discussed). That is, they may increase the score in order to pass since its going to be a pass/fail.(So like a 210 may be needed to pass instead of a 194)[This was floated around my buddies school with their residency director- take as a grain of salt]

But again I don't think they have all those details hashed out yet. Again this becomes an issue if an individual took the exam this year, takes a fellowship year, and then comes back to see their score becoming a pass/fail.

Also the old and the new MCAT were completely different exams lol. They had huge differences in topics(the new MCAT for example had almost no physics and massive emphasis on psych) and they could not be transferred. You couldn't say a 30 = This other score(Though you are correct, percentiles could be compared).

Again not all details are out and I don't think they really thought that part through on how they will implement it. They will release more information as time goes on.

The only thing I can say is, I took my test 2019 and I will be matching before this disaster takes place. I hope they don't suddenly change it because that means if you score a 260 July 1st 2021, your score is equivalent to an individual who scored a 194.(Just a pass)

Not to mention you would need to focus on other factors to strengthen your application since step 1 is irrelevant. You could use all that board time on something more important. Its essentially a gut punch to people who study for step 1 like a numeric value but get a pass instead.

Remember if step 1 is irrelevant and step 2 follows, you will need other things to strengthen your application. If you are just studying for a pass, you don't need to commit as much time to boards, rather other topics to make you stronger(Esepcially if you are a DO). It would pull the rug from under peoples legs who took it before 2022.

Just my 2 cents.

Biggest question I have about this change:

Are DOs gonna have to now put the same effort they did into level 1/step 1 into both COMLEX Level 1 and Step 2 CK while MDs only focus on 2 CK, or what? That seems to be the double-edged sword of keeping level 1 scores around that doesn't get focused on, because that would be absolutely awful. I know students complain about doing that just for the one exam, I can't imagine doing it for two.

Biggest question I have about this change:

Are DOs gonna have to kill themselves over heavily emphasizing studying for both COMLEX Level 1 and Step 2 CK while MDs only focus on 2 CK, or what? That seems to be the double-edged sword of keeping level 1 scores around that doesn't get focused on.
No one studies for Comlex that is obviously doing well on step 1 prep. Taking the two tests is only a pain due to money, frustration at the fact that comlex shouldn't exist, a waste of a whole day, and studying OMM for a few days. Day one study for USMLE and Comlex will fall into place unless you need to 700+ Comlex for AOA Ortho/ENT. You WILL 600+ even if you don't study if you are a 240+ USMLE scorer...