USN class of 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey Caleb,
Do you mind sharing your academic stats?
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I also received my acceptance from Dr. Deyoung last night, right in the middle of a tutoring session! I had to pick up because I knew that admissions calls from a weird number. It was so surreal. I've been waiting for this moment for so long. SOoo Happy!

I also got an acceptance today. Got a relief finally!
good luck to everybody! :thumbup:

Thanks Caleb. I got an acceptance finally.

Congratulations to those got accepted to USN.

I got a call from Dr. DeYoung on Jan. 26 and his confirmation email on the same day, but have not received the admission package in the mail yet. I'm wondering if any of you have gotten it yet, please let me know. Thank you.

I got a call this week and he said we'd receive it early to mid March

Congratulations to those got accepted to USN.

I got a call from Dr. DeYoung on Jan. 26 and his confirmation email on the same day, but have not received the admission package in the mail yet. I'm wondering if any of you have gotten it yet, please let me know. Thank you.

Admission package will be mailed in the first week of March. You won't receive anything now except an admissoin offer by an email.

Admission package will be mailed in the first week of March. You won't receive anything now except an admissoin offer by an email.

Hi Guys! Does anyone know approximately how many seats are left? I don't have an interview till mid March. Also, any additional insight regarding how the interview went? Questions asked would be greatly appreciated. I am really hoping to get in and be a part of USN!! Thanks :D:xf:

Hi Guys! Does anyone know approximately how many seats are left? I don't have an interview till mid March. Also, any additional insight regarding how the interview went? Questions asked would be greatly appreciated. I am really hoping to get in and be a part of USN!! Thanks :D:xf:

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know how many spots are left but I'm sure there are plenty of seats. If they are doing it like last year, I believe they hand out a few spots to people with high point totals first and then wait until interviews are over to rank the rest of the candidates. I wouldn't worry about spots running out because you have a late interview date. Just nail the interview and the rest will take care of itself.

I don't know how many spots are left but I'm sure there are plenty of seats. If they are doing it like last year, I believe they hand out a few spots to people with high point totals first and then wait until interviews are over to rank the rest of the candidates. I wouldn't worry about spots running out because you have a late interview date. Just nail the interview and the rest will take care of itself.

Thank you SO much, diastole. You helped put me at ease a bit since I do have a later interview. As you most likely know, there are a few negative reviews about the block and 90% pass/fail systems at USN. What are your thoughts since you are a current student? What happens if you don't get a 90% or better on an exam?

Again, thanks for your help and insight!

Thank you SO much, diastole. You helped put me at ease a bit since I do have a later interview. As you most likely know, there are a few negative reviews about the block and 90% pass/fail systems at USN. What are your thoughts since you are a current student? What happens if you don't get a 90% or better on an exam?

Again, thanks for your help and insight!

You take an exam every other Friday. You need a 90% to pass but in reality 85% is good enough most of the time. After you take the first exam, you retake the exact same exam with your team and if your team passes with a 95%, you get an extra 5% for team points. It is a rare, rare thing to not get team points. So what that means is if your individual score is less than an 85, you get to take a similar exam on the following Monday. If you pass, you get a three day weekend. I love that part! There are no team points if you retake on Monday so you must get a 90% on that day or you have to reassess for a week in the summer. If you don't pass in the summer, you sit out for a year and repeat the block when it comes up again the following year. Some people find all the pressure to pass very stressful but I don't think it is so bad.

As far as the block system, I'm still evaluating it. Rather than take a bunch of classes like at other schools, we learn about one whole system at once. We just finished up on hematology and immunology, for example. In the P1 year, we usually first learn about how the systems work and then we learn about drugs that they use to treat diseases of those systems. I like that approach but sometimes it is torture sitting through seven hours of one prof if the person has a style that isn't quite to my liking.

I'm most concerned about my long term retention of the material. We have to learn a lot of information in two weeks. For example, they will occasionally give us charts with a ridiculous amount of info on it and we get to memorize it. That isn't a problem for the exam but if you ask me about it in two months, I'll be lucky to remember what the drug is used for much less what the duration is or what it interacts with or what adverse reactions it might cause. Now maybe I just have long term memory problems but I suspect that the structure of the program has a lot to do with this. We almost have to cram to pass the exams and then turn around and cram again. I think my list of forgotten material is much larger than the amount of material still in my head. What I don't know is how different that would be at another school. How much material do you remember from the classes you took last semester?

I like the school, like the profs for the most part, like the exam format and like the block system but with some reservations. I don't think I can really evaluate it fairly until next year when we learn the material in more depth.

You take an exam every other Friday. You need a 90% to pass but in reality 85% is good enough most of the time. After you take the first exam, you retake the exact same exam with your team ...

Do you get to pick the teams?
Do you know approx the % of students who need to retake a test during the summer, per test?

PS- anyone interviewing march 2nd. Give me a PM if you are.

Do you get to pick the teams?
Do you know approx the % of students who need to retake a test during the summer, per test?

PS- anyone interviewing march 2nd. Give me a PM if you are.

Your teams are assigned and usually have seven people in it. I have no idea the answer to the second question. I suspect it is easily less than 10% of the class but that is a total guess. I always get my three day weekends so I couldn't even tell you how many people have to retake on a Monday.

Good luck with your interview.

Your teams are assigned and usually have seven people in it. I have no idea the answer to the second question. I suspect it is easily less than 10% of the class but that is a total guess. I always get my three day weekends so I couldn't even tell you how many people have to retake on a Monday.

Good luck with your interview.

Hey Diastole, I received my acceptance and will be attending USN this year. Is it possible to work while attending classes? From what you gather, what is the percentage of students that work? I don't want to take out a loan for my personal expenses bc of the high interest rate. Thanks!

Hey. I had my interview on Tuesday (2/16) in the Henderson, NV. I felt that I did pretty well on the interview. I was wondering, for the current students/applicants that got accepted, how long did it take before you guys got your acceptance call? Just wondering...The anticipation is killing me lol :p

Last edited:
it seems like usn interviews everyday! how many interviews have been conducted so far and what are the dates. what dates are left?

it seems like usn interviews everyday! how many interviews have been conducted so far and what are the dates. what dates are left?

The pattern, I guess, is Tuesdays (in NV) and Thursday (in UT). For how many interview days is best answered by a P1 student here. When I went on Tuesday, Dr. DeYoung said, during the orientation, that they are "half way done". The interviews are conducted by P1 students and professors.

Sorry if its already been asked but i was wondering what kind of computer does USN make you buy? The reason is i already have a newer macbook pro and i dont really want to buy a new one, plus i want to save the money. Thanx

Hey. I had my interview on Tuesday (2/16) in the Henderson, NV. I felt that I did pretty well on the interview. I was wondering, for the current students/applicants that got accepted, how long did it take before you guys got your acceptance call? Just wondering...The anticipation is killing me lol :p

It may take about a week.....mostly within 2 weeks....in ur case, u shd be hearing from Dr. DeYoung in next week, if you are accepted as an outstanding student...

Hey Diastole, I received my acceptance and will be attending USN this year. Is it possible to work while attending classes? From what you gather, what is the percentage of students that work? I don't want to take out a loan for my personal expenses bc of the high interest rate. Thanks!

I don't know the percentage of students who work. It seems like most don't or at least don't talk about it much. Whether or not you can work depends on how much time you need to put in to retain the material. Some people study hours and hours each night and would have a hard time fitting in work. Others get by on much less so can squeeze in work hours without affecting their studies.

I would say to just try out working and if you find that it is too difficult, then either quit or scale back your hours. You might consider applying for the loans just in case. I believe that you can cancel them around the time they are disbursed so if you find you don't need the money, you don't have to take it.

Sorry if its already been asked but i was wondering what kind of computer does USN make you buy? The reason is i already have a newer macbook pro and i dont really want to buy a new one, plus i want to save the money. Thanx

It is some sort of Dell. I didn't really care which Dell because you basically have no choice in the matter. They make you buy it whether you want it or not.

Ohh come on now i love my mac. Its a bummer you cant use your own personal computer. Just another way to suck money outa ya. Thanx for th help guys. Hopefully my interview goes swimmingly. :xf:

Ohh come on now i love my mac. Its a bummer you cant use your own personal computer. Just another way to suck money outa ya. Thanx for th help guys. Hopefully my interview goes swimmingly. :xf:

I have to agree with benbhunter...not being able to use my Macbook pro is a shame indeed. :(

It may take about a week.....mostly within 2 weeks....in ur case, u shd be hearing from Dr. DeYoung in next week, if you are accepted as an outstanding student...

Thanx for the reassurance. I was going over some of my answers that I gave to them, and I felt that I shouldn't have said somethings lol. Oh well, it looks like I'm in for the long wait.

Thanx for the reassurance. I was going over some of my answers that I gave to them, and I felt that I shouldn't have said somethings lol. Oh well, it looks like I'm in for the long wait.

Hey don't feel too bad. I thought about it and there were some answers that I could have improved upon. But then, there's always room for improvement. Just remember that if you had to think back about it, that means that your mistakes probably weren't that apparent at the time of the interview...so they couldn't have been that bad.

I have to agree with benbhunter...not being able to use my Macbook pro is a shame indeed. :(

You can still use it. You should see my husband. He likes to work with three computers around him. You can have one computer with your slides and one for sites that distract you like facebook or SDN or whatever it is that is keeps you from studying all the time.

You can still use it. You should see my husband. He likes to work with three computers around him. You can have one computer with your slides and one for sites that distract you like facebook or SDN or whatever it is that is keeps you from studying all the time.

I love how you talk like I'm already in the program...thinking positive for me...keep it coming!!! LOL!

Hello Hello,

it's been a while since i've checked the forum or posted anything on here. P2 has been a very hectic year so not much time off at all. I know that UT has 2 more interview dates (3/4 and 3/18 i believe) and each interview session has about 60 applicants, therefore, you guys still have plenty of chances. If I remembered correctly, Dr.DeYoung said that they will interview about 600 this year and there's seat for bout 220+.

For those who are waiting for their interview dates, I suggest you guys try to practice all the interview questions posted in the past couple of years, even though it won't be the same questions, i'm pretty sure that it's good practice.

Goodluck everyone! :luck:

what is the differnce between the utah campus and nevada campus? in demographics etc.

im assuming nevada has more asians that live around southern cali???

if i wre to get in i would not know where to attend.

I had a choice of 3 interview dates in feb and nabbed the earliest one possible which was on 2/2. I felt the interview went well because I did a lot of research about the school which showed them that I really wanted to attend. Dr. Deyoung called me on 2/9 a week after and told me that I was accepted.

Dr. Deyoung told me that he calls the applicants who have the highest scores first. Then he waits for the interview process to be over and ranks everyone according to their scores. The majority of students are accepted after the interviews. So if you haven't heard yet don't worry! He mentioned that there were plenty of seats available.

Diastole, thanks for the heads up. I guess I have to see if I can handle the curriculum while working. Right now I work full time and go to school full time so I think I may be able to handle it, but who knows.

I had a choice of 3 interview dates in feb and nabbed the earliest one possible which was on 2/2. I felt the interview went well because I did a lot of research about the school which showed them that I really wanted to attend. Dr. Deyoung called me on 2/9 a week after and told me that I was accepted.

Dr. Deyoung told me that he calls the applicants who have the highest scores first. Then he waits for the interview process to be over and ranks everyone according to their scores. The majority of students are accepted after the interviews. So if you haven't heard yet don't worry! He mentioned that there were plenty of seats available.

Diastole, thanks for the heads up. I guess I have to see if I can handle the curriculum while working. Right now I work full time and go to school full time so I think I may be able to handle it, but who knows.

I'm still anxious about getting a call :scared:...Well, I guess I'll know tomorrow lol. When did he call you? In the morning, afternoon, evening? Does he do it all day or something?

I'm still anxious about getting a call :scared:...Well, I guess I'll know tomorrow lol. When did he call you? In the morning, afternoon, evening? Does he do it all day or something?

Alright Jew Unit!...let's keep our fingers and toes crossed for a call tomorrow. But remember, if he doesn't call, it's not over yet! We'll still have hope til May 15th!!!:xf::xf::xf::xf::xf:

If anyone will be looking for housing/roommates in LV hit me up.

I got an interview today....diastole, when you have the time, see if you can answer my question.

I'm probably a weird exception to why I have received an interview when I shouldn't have...

Why would you say that you were exception? Are you saying it because of your stats?

I got an interview today....diastole, when you have the time, see if you can answer my question.

I'm probably a weird exception to why I have received an interview when I shouldn't have...

I don't even know if I'm going to accept it hahaha

Thanks anyways :)

I don't even know if I'm going to accept it hahaha

Thanks anyways :)

As my brother told me...Anything could happen! If you got an interview, then academically we're all the "same".

Time will tell, I'm still thinking about it, but nothing is official.

I interviewed at the Utah campus last Thursday, and Dr. DeYoung just called me today and said I was accepted. I am so relieved.
Good Luck to everyone