******UT-Houston Class of 2011*******

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I just walked by the admissions office and glanced at the various papers taped to the glass wall. I had no idea the average MCAT for incoming students was 31, the highest being 42. WOW. I believe this is a dramatic increase from previous years. It has been awhile since I have been in your shoes though. Congrats and enjoy your next four years.👍
Wow - they must have accepted someone since last week then. The highest last week was a 41.
 
so i think i read it earlier but can someone confirm that we can definitely have a mac next year as long as we can run windows xp on it?

I asked Tiffany Reyes about this, and she gave me the computer guy's email address. His response: This is not recommended and we do not support it. However, the software will work on an Apple with Boot Camp installed on it.

Some of my friends at UTH have Macs, and have no trouble at all. Most of them use Parallels instead of Boot Camp to run XP, though.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I asked Tiffany Reyes about this, and she gave me the computer guy's email address. His response: This is not recommended and we do not support it. However, the software will work on an Apple with Boot Camp installed on it.

Some of my friends at UTH have Macs, and have no trouble at all. Most of them use Parallels instead of Boot Camp to run XP, though.

10.5 will be out by the time med school starts, just wait a bit to get your mac and you'll be fine 👍
 
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Yeah, which is the only reason why I remembered that 😉

And no, no decision. Hoping for a lightning bolt.

Uh oh, someone upset you as the top MCATter 🙂 We'll have to have a throw down during orientation if you stay with us :insert puppy dog eyes here:
 
On Life Flighting:
No flying for med students. 🙁 I have one friend who's gone up before, but she's a full EMT and it was just a favor from a friend/co-worker (and not during an actual case). So nothing for we MS, but the PGY-3's in EM can fly for a month during their residency.

On the laptops:
In first and second year, you'll need them only for two school-related programs: an interactive tutorial for Neuro lab in the spring, and to stream lectures online. These are the main uses; occasionally we'll have a program or demo for a class that are posted on Blackboard and are optional to play around with.

On the Mac-ing:
Yeah, IT won't support any problems that you have on the Mac side, but you shouldn't have any. 😀 If you run XP partitioned under Boot Camp, they shouldn't be able to deny you help, as the OS is then running natively—hence problems are on the Microsoft side, not the Apple one. If you run XP under Parallels, they may or may not help—I haven't sought their assistance. I did have problems with my wireless connection in Parallels a few weeks ago in the LRC, but I just adapted by using the workstations here when I needed to stream videos. And I think part of this was related to my installing an update to Parallels that just didn't work well.

On parking passes:
Parking passes for the UTPB garage are available from Auxillary Enterprises. They're great; I don't study well at home, so I come up to school many nights and on weekends.
 
Freak out dance!!!!!!!! All of a sudden today I realized this weekend was welcome weekend! WHOA! I'm really excited and nervous and you know... doing a freak out dance. I'm coming in Friday to try on white coats so I can give them my form. It is kind of real! Plus I picked up my graduation announcements and they are SUPER cute 🙂 YAY I can't wait to meet all of you!
 
Freak out dance!!!!!!!! All of a sudden today I realized this weekend was welcome weekend! WHOA! I'm really excited and nervous and you know... doing a freak out dance. I'm coming in Friday to try on white coats so I can give them my form. It is kind of real! Plus I picked up my graduation announcements and they are SUPER cute 🙂 YAY I can't wait to meet all of you!

I have to work this weekend so I can't make it. But I hope everyone has a good time.
 
for those of you that filled out the scholarship form, my parents in houston just received notification of one. good luck 🙂
 
is anyone going dressed up for welcome weekend?? golf clothes etc? I think it'd be fun


I can't believe no one wants to join in?!? Come on guys.... you know it'd be awesome😉 If I'm the only one that shows up in themed clothes I might feel a little embarrassed
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
What is the attire for this weekend?


it's just casual but since it's caddyshack themed i think people should wear golf clothes. but you might want to bring a change of clothes for when we go to the bars etc
 
it's just casual but since it's caddyshack themed i think people should wear golf clothes. but you might want to bring a change of clothes for when we go to the bars etc

I guess I'll dress up since Adam said so.
 
wish i didn't have to ask this, but... is our acceptance conditional relative to our performance in our last semester? i've already completed a b.s. so there's no concern there, but one of my classes is really killer in my apathetic state. i'd probably go postal in my gpa for this semester was low enough to get my acceptance rescinded.
 
does anyone know when we find out our fin. aid situation? (how much money we get etc.)
 
For everyone that got that e-mail message about the Welcome Weekend and dressing up, who is NOT looking forward to doing that? I have to drive 5 hours to get there in the first place. I'm not looking forward to wearing that stuff, it just adds on to my stress. Do you think EVERYONE is going to come dressed up? I feel like I'm in high school talking about this...I don't want to stand out, but I'm really not looking forward to dressing up. Not to mention the fact that I don't golf and I don't have that kind of stuff, and I'm not excited about looking for it.

Rant, rant, rant...I know...I'm sorry.
 
For everyone that got that e-mail message about the Welcome Weekend and dressing up, who is NOT looking forward to doing that? I have to drive 5 hours to get there in the first place. I'm not looking forward to wearing that stuff, it just adds on to my stress. Do you think EVERYONE is going to come dressed up? I feel like I'm in high school talking about this...I don't want to stand out, but I'm really not looking forward to dressing up. Not to mention the fact that I don't golf and I don't have that kind of stuff, and I'm not excited about looking for it.

Rant, rant, rant...I know...I'm sorry.

I wasn't really planning on dressing up, just trying to look nice. Like I was going to the Country club (hah cause I've been there). Just wear a polo or something. I don't really think its that big of a deal. It is better to just be comfortable and be excited to meet all your new classmates!
 
For everyone that got that e-mail message about the Welcome Weekend and dressing up, who is NOT looking forward to doing that? I have to drive 5 hours to get there in the first place. I'm not looking forward to wearing that stuff, it just adds on to my stress. Do you think EVERYONE is going to come dressed up? I feel like I'm in high school talking about this...I don't want to stand out, but I'm really not looking forward to dressing up. Not to mention the fact that I don't golf and I don't have that kind of stuff, and I'm not excited about looking for it.

Rant, rant, rant...I know...I'm sorry.
Oh it's totally not a big deal. Dressing up is just an excuse to be silly. I think I just wore shorts and a t-shirt (with a swimsuit under) and I didn't stand out. As long as you show up in something other than an interview suit, you'll be fine 🙂

It's a good time! Have fun, MS0's!
ps-- Excuses to be silly are getting to be fewer and fewer these days, so personally I'd go for it. That, and it would make Adam happy!
 
wish i didn't have to ask this, but... is our acceptance conditional relative to our performance in our last semester? i've already completed a b.s. so there's no concern there, but one of my classes is really killer in my apathetic state. i'd probably go postal in my gpa for this semester was low enough to get my acceptance rescinded.

Don't fret too much. I cannot speak conclusively about UTH, but my understanding about most schools is that a poor grade in one class won't really get you in trouble—unless you already had some marginal ones on your app and had to field questions on it during interviews. But mainly they just don't want to see you slack off and pull a 2.0 the last semester.
 
Oh it's totally not a big deal. Dressing up is just an excuse to be silly. I think I just wore shorts and a t-shirt (with a swimsuit under) and I didn't stand out. As long as you show up in something other than an interview suit, you'll be fine 🙂

It's a good time! Have fun, MS0's!
ps-- Excuses to be silly are getting to be fewer and fewer these days, so personally I'd go for it. That, and it would make Adam happy!

Shouldn't someone be speding more time with Mistress Qbank? I'm just sayin'...
 
Yeah, OddNath is from the super-relaxed class of 2009, so disregard anything she says. j/k, love you A.

Seriously, though, it'll be really fun--college parties are always so much more fun when there's a theme right?

I'm known for making up statistics on the spot, but our analysts (and by analyst I mean the little old ladies in the bookstore) have forecasted that over 99% of Welcome Weekenders will be dressed up. I pity the fool who doesn't! 🙂

Email me if you have any questions/concerns! I'll see you guys soon.
 
For the criminal background check, if it's been a while since we submitted it, do we just assume that no news is good news?
 
Just posting to let you guys know: I'll be withdrawing from Houston in the morning. I'm sad we won't end up as classmates but I've been thinking about this for awhile and I think it's be best decision for me personally.

Have fun at second look 🙂
 
For the criminal background check, if it's been a while since we submitted it, do we just assume that no news is good news?

How long ago did you submit it?

Also, anyone else get any info about scholarships yet?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
For the criminal background check, if it's been a while since we submitted it, do we just assume that no news is good news?

We didn't hear back last year on the status of the background check either. So, no news is good news.
 
anyone know how many people get into the mstp program after the first year? what are the deadlines for med students?

i really want to make basic science into a large part of my medical career, so i'm currently weighing my options - mstp or summers with a year in between 2nd and 3rd year. any thoughts on that?
 
For the criminal background check, if it's been a while since we submitted it, do we just assume that no news is good news?

Pre-Check Background Check Policy and Procedure

1. All accepted applicants will be required to sign the criminal background check (CBC) letter from the admissions office. The purpose of the criminal background check is to detect false answers on the medical school application.
2. Applicant will be directed to the Pre-Check website where they will complete the paperwork for the criminal background check. The total cost to applicant will be $37.00.
a. Applicant will be required to fill out a release for Pre-Check indicating residence.
b. Applicant will pay Pre-Check directly through Paypal.
c. Applicant will be required to register for background check in timely manner; it will take around 4 days for report to be received. Background Check must be received by Admissions Office before the student will be allowed to begin classes.
i. If an applicant is accepted without enough time to have check completed prior to the first day of class, their acceptance/continuation of medical school is contingent upon the results of the background check and their acceptance letter will so indicate.
3. The Admissions Office will then access the Pre-Check website to review the results for each student.
a. Admissions Staff will record whose reports have been received in database.
b. Admissions Staff will TIFF image each report and import the file into the applicants’ documentum folder CBC
i. Permissions for CBC to give access to whomever as required.
c. All files will be reviewed by Admissions Office staff and a subcommittee of the Admissions/Executive Committee.
i. They will be reviewed on a scheduled basis or as needed.
ii. Subcommittee will review the electronic report
iii. Every report will be reviewed by the subcommittee.
iv. A CBC committee date will be entered in database.
d. If something is discovered in a background check report not previously disclosed on the application, a copy of the report will be provided to the student and they will have the opportunity to challenge the report to the limited issue that they have been misidentified by the CBC. If an applicant is found to have misrepresented or withheld information which should have been disclosed on the application their acceptance will be rescinded.
e. The CBC file will be kept with the student file in documentum.
 
Just posting to let you guys know: I'll be withdrawing from Houston in the morning. I'm sad we won't end up as classmates but I've been thinking about this for awhile and I think it's be best decision for me personally.

Have fun at second look 🙂

I'm sorry to hear that we'll be missing you next year🙁 . I know you have to make the best decision for you, though. good luck and best wishes!
 
I think dressing up is cool - it's a good opportunity to make an impression and it gives you an ice breaker. Of course, you have to be willing to look ridiculously awesome.

Anyways - for the country club theme, go to stein mart some time tomorrow, they have ridiculous clothes that never sold on the department shelf and it's all some pastel variant and polo.

Here is a Stein Mart 10 minutes from the Rec Center!
 
So Welcome Weekend was AH-mazing! I had a really great time and I am absolutely PUMPED about starting in August!
 
I totally agree! Can't wait to see everyone again in August!

I know!! I'm so excited! The welcome barbeque was a blast! I only wish there was other stuff planned that day so I could have met more people. But I am still really glad I got to meet the people that I did!

Talking to all the MS1's made me so glad I chose UTH. It sounds like the perfect school. Like everyone works together and cares about eachother, unlike schools that force the students to compete for a limited number of A's... Also, some of them told me that at Baylor they have their gross anatomy presented to them instead of dissecting it themselves. I'm not sure I believe this... but I don't see why they wouldn't be telling the truth. Isn't that weird?

Anyhoo... yay for med school in general and UT Houston in particular!
 
Is there a deadline for the school to receive our transcripts?
 
I totally agree! Can't wait to see everyone again in August!

So, I was there looking for any SDNers but didn't find any. I guess I just didn't move around much that's why. I was the very very pregnant girl in brown (that's if anyone noticed me). I was kind of disappointed though because I didn't have any fun becuase I felt miserable the whole day thinking I was about to go into labor or something.

Anyway, I hope we'll meet again at Retreat (by then I will be several pounds lighter and will be able to move around more efficiently).
 
Have ya'll been able to log on to UTLink? I haven't been able to get it to work and I'm starting to suspect that I'm dumb. I'm pretty sure I'm using the right password. Maybe my ID number is wrong...
 
Have ya'll been able to log on to UTLink? I haven't been able to get it to work and I'm starting to suspect that I'm dumb. I'm pretty sure I'm using the right password. Maybe my ID number is wrong...

I don't remember what the original pin was but I have logged in with my ID and everything. There isn't any cool information or anything on there though. I supposed if you're really stumped you could call the admissions office and they could help you from there
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The one person I talked to that told me they got a scholarship said it was for only 1,000 dollars and even if that's 1,000 a year that's only 4,000 dollars total; a drop in the bucket by comparison to the total. Anyway, I don't know if they're all the same amount but I would say that if you didn't get one it's probably not a HUGE loss. Not that I would reject 1,000 dollars if it was offered to me.
 
The one person I talked to that told me they got a scholarship said it was for only 1,000 dollars and even if that's 1,000 a year that's only 4,000 dollars total; a drop in the bucket by comparison to the total. Anyway, I don't know if they're all the same amount but I would say that if you didn't get one it's probably not a HUGE loss. Not that I would reject 1,000 dollars if it was offered to me.

it is $1000 more than i have now 🙁