-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
******UT-Houston Class of 2011*******
Started by dancer75088
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
hey....just wangted to sahy that yo uall kcik asssxsssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss
hahahah
So senioritis has finally set it. BAD. I mean BAD. But I must keep my biochem grade up! Why oh why can't I get myself to study!?
hahahah
So senioritis has finally set it. BAD. I mean BAD. But I must keep my biochem grade up! Why oh why can't I get myself to study!?
What took so long?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
What took so long?
HAH! I know. I was super surprised it too me this long. I'm right on the border of honors stuff so I have to keep my grades up so I don't slip a level down. But man it sure is hard to study!
I'm right on the border of honors stuff so I have to keep my grades up so I don't slip a level down. But man it sure is hard to study!
Haha, the same thing happened to me. I also had just received my first acceptance so that added to the not caring. The way I looked at it was the only reason I wanted to graduate with honors was to help with medical school if I didn't get accepted the first time around.
Well, I got in the first time and still graduated with honors. Don't sweat it. It will work out.

I don't know if I should be worried or not, but I have yet to hear back from Houston about my finaid. Do we only need to submit the FAFSA for them to consider us or is there anything else that we need to do?
I haven't heard anything about finaid either. I hope we hear something soon...
I don't know if I should be worried or not, but I have yet to hear back from Houston about my finaid. Do we only need to submit the FAFSA for them to consider us or is there anything else that we need to do?
Have you tried calling?
Have you tried calling?
No. If I don't hear anything by mid- to late May, then I will call.
I talked to them about a month ago; they said we wouldn't hear anything for quite a while. There's really not much to "hear" I think. I'm assuming we'll get some paper work with our award information in the summer and then as I understand it we get our money at the beginning of August.
But calling again wouldn't be a bad idea. Let us know what you find out. But I wouldn't worry.
But calling again wouldn't be a bad idea. Let us know what you find out. But I wouldn't worry.
Have you tried calling?
Have you already heard something?
has anyone heard anything about some program where you go down to houston in july and get an early start with some of the fall classes?
i remember Dr. Kelloway saying at the interview that they would contact the ppl they thought needed it but she also said that you can ask about it if you want to participate.
has anyone heard anything about some program where you go down to houston in july and get an early start with some of the fall classes?
They already sent out invitations for that. At Welcome weekend a girl from Tech (I think) was telling me about it and told me they had already let people know about it if they wanted them to come.
Also... when is everyone planning on moving down to Houston. I'm expecting some most excellent Ikea trips to go on once I'm down there 🙂
Last time I checked (about a week ago) they said that they were installing a new system, and very little would be processed untill the end of April. So I would def call them and see what's going on. But in the mean time, check out the FA website and apply for all the scholarships you can & welcome to UT-H 🙂
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
They already sent out invitations for that. At Welcome weekend a girl from Tech (I think) was telling me about it and told me they had already let people know about it if they wanted them to come.
Also... when is everyone planning on moving down to Houston. I'm expecting some most excellent Ikea trips to go on once I'm down there 🙂
So far my move date is August 4th...but might make it a week earlier.
starting the drive from DC on 8/3.
I just called the Financial Aid office, I was hoping for at least one of my accepting schools' packages so that it could help in my descision making. Houston will cut it awfully close to the 15th, the lady on the phone said either next Monday or Tuesday they will release a massive amount of award packages.
They also said if we are looking to use financial aid info to aid a desision in picking medical schools, to call them late next week if you don't receive your package and they can discuss it with you over the phone.
They also said if we are looking to use financial aid info to aid a desision in picking medical schools, to call them late next week if you don't receive your package and they can discuss it with you over the phone.
I just called the Financial Aid office, I was hoping for at least one of my accepting schools' packages so that it could help in my descision making. Houston will cut it awfully close to the 15th, the lady on the phone said either next Monday or Tuesday they will release a massive amount of award packages.
They also said if we are looking to use financial aid info to aid a desision in picking medical schools, to call them late next week if you don't receive your package and they can discuss it with you over the phone.
Thanks for the info.!
I just called the Financial Aid office, I was hoping for at least one of my accepting schools' packages so that it could help in my descision making. Houston will cut it awfully close to the 15th, the lady on the phone said either next Monday or Tuesday they will release a massive amount of award packages.
They also said if we are looking to use financial aid info to aid a desision in picking medical schools, to call them late next week if you don't receive your package and they can discuss it with you over the phone.
That really helps, thanks a lot.
I'm a fourth year medical student at UT Houston. Welcome to a great school that will give you everything you need to meet any goal you have for your medical careers.
For those of you worried about Financial Aid, don't worry too much. The school needs you to have the FA just as much as you need it yourself, or else they won't get paid! If you have questions, FA phone number is 713-500-3860. Right now, just make sure you have all your government paperwork done, and things will work out. Here is a tip I wish I would have known, next January, apply as quickly as possible for the 2008-2009 school loans, and you will likely be awarded around $2000 nonrepayable scholarship. My friend did it every year, but I never knew about it until my fourth year.
I already posted this on another Texas Med school site, but for those of you coming to Houston and are worried about where to live, whether the apartment/condo complex is safe, close, nice, etc. Just shoot me a PM and I will gladly answer your questions. Personally, your best bet for conveinient living is UT housing (difficult to attain), a condo near the UT Shuttle route (My condo is for sale and listed in the SDN Classified section😀 ), or an apartment close to the light rail. One of the only drawbacks about Houston Medical schools is that parking is a nightmare and too expensive to deal with.
Once again, congratulations, I loved UT Houston and knowing what I know now, I would never consider going anywhere else for my medical training.
For those of you worried about Financial Aid, don't worry too much. The school needs you to have the FA just as much as you need it yourself, or else they won't get paid! If you have questions, FA phone number is 713-500-3860. Right now, just make sure you have all your government paperwork done, and things will work out. Here is a tip I wish I would have known, next January, apply as quickly as possible for the 2008-2009 school loans, and you will likely be awarded around $2000 nonrepayable scholarship. My friend did it every year, but I never knew about it until my fourth year.
I already posted this on another Texas Med school site, but for those of you coming to Houston and are worried about where to live, whether the apartment/condo complex is safe, close, nice, etc. Just shoot me a PM and I will gladly answer your questions. Personally, your best bet for conveinient living is UT housing (difficult to attain), a condo near the UT Shuttle route (My condo is for sale and listed in the SDN Classified section😀 ), or an apartment close to the light rail. One of the only drawbacks about Houston Medical schools is that parking is a nightmare and too expensive to deal with.
Once again, congratulations, I loved UT Houston and knowing what I know now, I would never consider going anywhere else for my medical training.
thanks for all the advice! sooo since we're almost to the bottom of the page
BUMP!
Plus I'm really excited... still. I'm really excited to start decorating a new place!! YAY Ikea!
BUMP!
Plus I'm really excited... still. I'm really excited to start decorating a new place!! YAY Ikea!
Hello everybody! I just wanted to say hi to all my future classmates. I can't wait until August!
Unfortunately, I could not go to welcome weekend, but I look forward to meeting you all at the retreat!
Unfortunately, I could not go to welcome weekend, but I look forward to meeting you all at the retreat!
I have had a few people from both next years dental class as well as new med students send me a PM about Housing in Houston, so I thought I would make the info available to everyone.
1) UT Housing is great, but everyone else thinks so as well, so if you don't already have a place lined up there now, you may be out of luck for next school year (I am not saying they have capped and you won't get a spot, but I just would not feel like you should think it is a guarenteed place to live).
2) There are some very close places to live besides UT housing that are right along the UT Shuttle Route. The Park View Apartments (pretty shady place to live), as well as a couple of Condo Complexes. The closest Condo Complexes are Cambridge Glen, Cambridge Court, 2120 El Paseo (a little bit further of a walk), and others that are still relatively close, but not as convenient. Riverwalk does have some nice units, but I would not want to walk that far everyday when there are just as nice places closer, and less expensive.
3) Some people have asked about owning versus renting. A really quick comparison is that if you want to own a place that costs $110,000, then with interest rate of 6% (you may get a better rate) the monthly payment is $660. After Condo association fee and taxes, that is pretty equivalent to renting, but you will be getting back your principle, appreciation, possible tax breaks, and will be building equity, all allowing you to profit (or essentially lose less) when you move on in you carreer. However, some people just don't want the hastle with owning a place, and that may be you. We have tons of people that rent, tons of people that own condos, and some people buy a condo and rent out a room to a classmate. There is no right or wrong way to do it.
Keep the questions about housing or whatever coming and I will try to respond quickly.
1) UT Housing is great, but everyone else thinks so as well, so if you don't already have a place lined up there now, you may be out of luck for next school year (I am not saying they have capped and you won't get a spot, but I just would not feel like you should think it is a guarenteed place to live).
2) There are some very close places to live besides UT housing that are right along the UT Shuttle Route. The Park View Apartments (pretty shady place to live), as well as a couple of Condo Complexes. The closest Condo Complexes are Cambridge Glen, Cambridge Court, 2120 El Paseo (a little bit further of a walk), and others that are still relatively close, but not as convenient. Riverwalk does have some nice units, but I would not want to walk that far everyday when there are just as nice places closer, and less expensive.
3) Some people have asked about owning versus renting. A really quick comparison is that if you want to own a place that costs $110,000, then with interest rate of 6% (you may get a better rate) the monthly payment is $660. After Condo association fee and taxes, that is pretty equivalent to renting, but you will be getting back your principle, appreciation, possible tax breaks, and will be building equity, all allowing you to profit (or essentially lose less) when you move on in you carreer. However, some people just don't want the hastle with owning a place, and that may be you. We have tons of people that rent, tons of people that own condos, and some people buy a condo and rent out a room to a classmate. There is no right or wrong way to do it.
Keep the questions about housing or whatever coming and I will try to respond quickly.
Hey guys! I just found out I got a 2bdrm "old" UT-Housing spot. Any females looking for a roomie? $365/mo + 1/2 Utilities. 🙂
Anyone get their financial aid packets yet?
Anyone get their financial aid packets yet?
I haven't yet...
me either.... which is annoying because I know other schools that have, and I would really like to know too!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Does anyone know if the dress code applies to us when we are attending class, or is it just when we are in a clinical setting?
FYI....I am renting a one bedroom at Favrot Hall. It comes furnished, plus all bills paid (including basic cable). The apartments are old, but clean and quiet. I will have to park at a remote parking lot, but it took me less than two minutes to walk to school from my apartment. Probably wont work for everyone, but since I will go home to Dallas most weekends, it's perfect for me.
FYI....I am renting a one bedroom at Favrot Hall. It comes furnished, plus all bills paid (including basic cable). The apartments are old, but clean and quiet. I will have to park at a remote parking lot, but it took me less than two minutes to walk to school from my apartment. Probably wont work for everyone, but since I will go home to Dallas most weekends, it's perfect for me.
Does anyone know if the dress code applies to us when we are attending class, or is it just when we are in a clinical setting?
FYI....I am renting a one bedroom at Favrot Hall. It comes furnished, plus all bills paid (including basic cable). The apartments are old, but clean and quiet. I will have to park at a remote parking lot, but it took me less than two minutes to walk to school from my apartment. Probably wont work for everyone, but since I will go home to Dallas most weekends, it's perfect for me.
Why would you want to drive 8 hours almost every weekend?
Just found the list of professors for our classes in case anyone is interested.
Courses and Professors
Courses and Professors
Why would you want to drive 8 hours almost every weekend?
That seems like it would take up a lot of valuable time. But everyone does their own thing. There is someone in the tamu class that lives in temple and drives to cs everyday for class. I think that is crazy! But if you have a family I guess you do what you have to.
Does anyone know if the dress code applies to us when we are attending class, or is it just when we are in a clinical setting?
FYI....I am renting a one bedroom at Favrot Hall. It comes furnished, plus all bills paid (including basic cable). The apartments are old, but clean and quiet. I will have to park at a remote parking lot, but it took me less than two minutes to walk to school from my apartment. Probably wont work for everyone, but since I will go home to Dallas most weekends, it's perfect for me.
they are super close but they seem a bit expensive. plus even for remote parking how much do you have to pay?
Why would you want to drive 8 hours almost every weekend?
My family will stay in Dallas. I have a good friend that is finishing his first year at UTH, and has done well while making the drive every week. He studies during the week and spends time with his fiancé in Dallas on the weekends. I'm sure there will be some weekends that I don't make the trip. But I figure after being cooped up all week at tmc, I might enjoy the drive. Plus I can listen to lectures during the drive. Or it might just be wishful thinking.
Does anyone know if the dress code applies to us when we are attending class, or is it just when we are in a clinical setting?
FYI....I am renting a one bedroom at Favrot Hall. It comes furnished, plus all bills paid (including basic cable). The apartments are old, but clean and quiet. I will have to park at a remote parking lot, but it took me less than two minutes to walk to school from my apartment. Probably wont work for everyone, but since I will go home to Dallas most weekends, it's perfect for me.
FLy SOuthwest. Takes an hour.
they are super close but they seem a bit expensive. plus even for remote parking how much do you have to pay?
My rent is $795/month, but that includes all bills. Also there is a remote lot a couple of miles from tmc that charges $80/month to park. I like that I won't have to catch shuttle buses every day. Seems like a hassle to me. I can definitely understand why someone wouldn't want to live at Favrot, but for me I hope it will be a good situation.
I'm more worried about not being able to wear shorts, flip-flops, jeans, or sweats.....that's my entire wardrobe!
FLy SOuthwest. Takes an hour.
I thought about it, but I would have to pay to park, and catch a ride both ways in Dallas......plus I really don't mind driving on the highway.
Have you decided yet to attend UTH?
does anyone know if we get financial aid for 9 or ten months? Online the budget is 9, but in the thing from welcome weekend it is 10. I need to know so I can budget! 🙂
Hey guys, I'm a first year medical student at Baylor and my roommate is moving out. I live in Lanseborough apartments right on the rail. My rent is actually cheaper than what the leasing office will quote you, because my current roommate was able to lock in the rates from four years ago. I also have many of the books that you will need for first year, and I'm willing to share with a roommate. If anyone is still looking for housing PLEASE let me know by PMing me. I'd be happy to meet with you so you can see my apartment. Thanks
Edit: I'd like to live with another girl, sorry boys
Edit: I'd like to live with another girl, sorry boys
Why would you want to drive 8 hours almost every weekend?
Hey, I made it from North houston to dallas in 3.5 hours. Now from the tmc it will take longer cause of traffic, but no way is it an 8 our drive.
Hey, I made it from North houston to dallas in 3.5 hours. Now from the tmc it will take longer cause of traffic, but no way is it an 8 our drive.
If the person wants to make it back to Houston, then it would be 8 hours.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If the person wants to make it back to Houston, then it would be 8 hours.
My bad, for some reason I thought you meant one way. I guess its cause I've heard people tell me before that Houston to Dallas is a 6 hour drive. They must be going really slow and have to pee alot.
Still no financial aid - I'm starting to get a little antsy and concerned because when I check my financial aid status on UTLINK it says that my "FAFSA Results from Department of Education" were received 2007-05-02, although I submitted it in mid March. What does this mean?
Still no financial aid - I'm starting to get a little antsy and concerned because when I check my financial aid status on UTLINK it says that my "FAFSA Results from Department of Education" were received 2007-05-02, although I submitted them in mid March. What does this mean?
I'm really thinking about calling and complaining, because I seriously think EVERY other school has given out their financial aid info. I'd really like to know if I will be ALL loan or whatever, because I need to start planning NOW! 🙂 Time to whip those finaid people into shape!
I'm really thinking about calling and complaining, because I seriously think EVERY other school has given out their financial aid info. I'd really like to know if I will be ALL loan or whatever, because I need to start planning NOW! 🙂 Time to whip those finaid people into shape!
Sounds like we've found a volunteer. Let us know what you find out. 🙂
I'm really thinking about calling and complaining, because I seriously think EVERY other school has given out their financial aid info. I'd really like to know if I will be ALL loan or whatever, because I need to start planning NOW! 🙂 Time to whip those finaid people into shape!
I am not sure if someone has already said this, but I heard that they were upgrading to a new system and that it has only recently (this week) been fully implemented. Before now they could not see FAFSA applications, but now they can and will be packaging accordingly within the next week or so.
Similar threads
E
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 1K
E
- Replies
- 1
- Views
- 2K