******UT-Houston Class of 2011*******

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Why oh why do I have to waste six hours of my day to take a defensive driving course?

Members don't see this ad.

Why oh why do I have to waste six hours of my day to take a defensive driving course?

I don't know. Why? Did you get a ticket, or are you trying to lower your car insurance rate? If it’s neither of these, then maybe you like torturing yourself.

I don't know. Why? Did you get a ticket, or are you trying to lower your car insurance rate? If it’s neither of these, then maybe you like torturing yourself.

Got a ticket. The course is a pain in the ass b/c it forces you to spend 6 hours on it. :mad::mad::mad: +pissed+

Members don't see this ad :)
Got a ticket. The course is a pain in the ass b/c it forces you to spend 6 hours on it. :mad::mad::mad: +pissed+

Yeah, I know how that feels. I did an online course about half a year ago for a speeding ticket I received on the way to a medical school interview of all places. When the cop asked me where I was headed, I replied that I was going to interview for medical school. He gave me a strange look and replied, "I’ll be back with your ticket."

While it sucks to take any driving course, I highly recommend the online course because at least you can start and stop it whenever you want, and can do it in the privacy of your own home at your own pace.

Probably feeding the flames, but...

While I'd like to reiterate the general line that you should hold off on buying any books until you meet your MS 2, if any of you MS 0-soon-to-be-1's are in town, the Half Price Books in the Village has a bazillion copies of Rohen for cheap. They're an older edition (5th, I think), but they appear brand new.

I only mention it because this is a book you may not inherit from your MS 2, but which a lot of people I know found somewhat useful. I mainly used Netter, but did a little reviewing before each test in Rohen.

You're lucky I wasn't a business major. For a split second I thought of buying up all the copies, then selling them outside your lecture hall for a cool profit on the first day of class. But that would have been too much work. :p

To reiterate, however, I'll say it again: don't worry about any other books yet. In fact, don't even be thinking of med school classes. You don't need to—and more importantly, you should instead be savoring the end of undergrad/your last summer of full freedom! (I only brought this up 'cause it could save you some money!)

While it sucks to take any driving course, I highly recommend the online course because at least you can start and stop it whenever you want, and can do it in the privacy of your own home at your own pace.

Comedy Defensive driving FTW!
Basically I just payed for two 3 hour sessions of stand-up comedy and got all you can eat pizza. For the video's they either used it as part of their act or just put them on fast forward while they did their act. As for the test, they just read us the answers and we were done.

I'm actually looking forward to my next ticket.:D

Comedy Defensive driving FTW!
Basically I just payed for two 3 hour sessions of stand-up comedy and got all you can eat pizza. For the video's they either used it as part of their act or just put them on fast forward while they did their act. As for the test, they just read us the answers and we were done.

I'm actually looking forward to my next ticket.:D

Excellent, you can do DD for me when I get my next ticket.

does anyone know what we have to do to accept the fed. grant of $2000 a semester? is this just automatically accepted?

In UTlink there are now dates listed under "Reg Dates." Mine says June 18th to August 20th. I'm not sure what this means for us since we are supposedly automatically registered, but at least it's something new.

does anyone know what we have to do to accept the fed. grant of $2000 a semester? is this just automatically accepted?

No, you should probably write them and turn it over to me. :)
A grant is free money. If you don't want free money I suppose you don't have to take it. But I would if I were you.

Since I just finally got my financial aid stuff, online at least, does anyone know which lenders they are going to choose? Any favorites? Any to avoid?

If any of you reading this are current students, do any of y'all live near the Shepherd/St. Thomas High School area? And if so, is there any easy way to get to downtown so you can take the rail into the med center?

So right now I live at 59 and kirby and can get from my door to the UTH entrance in under 20 min (drive, park, ride rail). I love the area, but have long anticipated living in condoland believing it'd be more convenient and I'd get to live close to other med students (yay study groups and commiserating about our troubles!). I looked for properties to rent there last summer, so I'm familiar with price ranges, quality, where the shuttles run (not so much where exactly they stop :confused: ), and I know stores like Target are at least a few blocks away.

My question, for those who live in condoland and are familiar with the 59/kirby area, is do you like living in 77030/77054? I mean do you really really like it? Are your grocery stores, "study spots", and favorite eateries close? Do you like your neighbors? Do you get to/like hanging out with other med students? How fast can you get to/from school and by what method(s)? And lastly, would the combination of these aspects convince you to move out of your $845 2/2 at 59 and kirby?

Yes that's right I found a sweet, affordable, quiet, and safe apt complex in river oaks. PM me for details.

My primary concern is location/transportation because I'm addicted to convenience (who isn't? ). At this point, though, if I move south of the med center, I think I will only consider renting a condo since I can get comparable quality and the same or cheaper prices. That's also the reason I'm starting the housing hunt late. However, if any of you live in apts there and can't stop raving about your shuttle service and whatever else, please kindly rave here. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
that is a good deal,
I have off topic stuff unless you consider these are good deals too.
I found
1. http://dealspl.us/Inspiron-640m-Int...-XGA-2GB-RAM-120GB-DVD-Burner-802-11b-g_55618 thats a great deal for no extra stuff needed.

2. http://dealspl.us/Vizio-37-Widescreen-LCD-HDTV-refurbished_55625

Also, does anyone know how cpr works. Does the school provide the training? Do we need it initially or wait until 2nd year. My understanding is the second we step into the hospital its expected but I don't know.

Also, does anyone know how cpr works. Does the school provide the training? Do we need it initially or wait until 2nd year. My understanding is the second we step into the hospital its expected but I don't know.

I had the same question. Would it be a good idea to get certified this summer, or will the school have a program for us?

I had the same question. Would it be a good idea to get certified this summer, or will the school have a program for us?

If the school does not provide us with the service, they would tell us where to get certified.

I am a cpr instructor if needed. I just didnt want to break any advertising rules.

I am a cpr instructor if needed. I just didnt want to break any advertising rules.

That would be fab if a group of us got together. I had just thought getting all certified would be good/easy to do over the summer. And maybe it will help satisfy some of my craving to do medical-y things. But if the school is going to provide it or give a discount or something, I'll wait.

We didn't have to do it this year. The rising MS 3's had a course a few weeks ago, in preparation for starting the wards.

Dr. Oakes (your awesome goddess of an ICM director) mentioned that she may try to push the administration to let her integrate CPR training into her curriculum, but I seriously doubt that it will happen this year.

Nevertheless, if you guys want to do it on your own, knock yourselves out!

I just got accepted to UTH tonight! I'm looking forward to meeting everyone!

still don't have my fin aid yet, should come soon I believe, but I have a small note to make anyone feel better that we have to take out 32,000 in loans.

I was at my friends house last while he got his loan packet for harvard law,

8500 stafford unsubsidized,
12000 stafford subsidized,

$42,000 find your own funding.... each year. I nearly S%#t my pants

I was not happy about the fact that I'm getting very little if any free money, but I feel a little better now. Although in 4 years we'll be making 40k, in 3 years he'll be making 250k, as well as about 30k each summer, so I don't feel that bad for him either

still don't have my fin aid yet, should come soon I believe, but I have a small note to make anyone feel better that we have to take out 32,000 in loans.

I was at my friends house last while he got his loan packet for harvard law,

8500 stafford unsubsidized,
12000 stafford subsidized,

$42,000 find your own funding.... each year. I nearly S%#t my pants

I was not happy about the fact that I'm getting very little if any free money, but I feel a little better now. Although in 4 years we'll be making 40k, in 3 years he'll be making 250k, as well as about 30k each summer, so I don't feel that bad for him either

Have you called about the finaid stuff? Mine went up on UTlink about 2 days before I got it in the mail. You may get a little bit of free money because I did. I was pretty pumped. YAY grants!

Have you called about the finaid stuff? Mine went up on UTlink about 2 days before I got it in the mail. You may get a little bit of free money because I did. I was pretty pumped. YAY grants!

Yeah, they know me well now.
I overnighted a copy of my passport with ups so there would be signature confirmation on the 30th. It was signed for by "Hernandez' on the 31st.
I called on monday to find out if they got it. They said they didnt know who hernandez is.
So I was given permission to fax it in, they couldnt read it, then I scanned it, and by wednesday morning they had it. so now I wait

what lender are you guys using? are there significant differences between them?

still waiting on my financial aid packet +pity+

but I searched around to a couple of different sources. Capital one, Bank of america and a couple of other ones.
they're all pretty much the same, atleast for stafford loans. Private loans maybe a different story but I haven't put too much effort searching for private loans yet

so as I have it, we need

sem 1
- Biochem
- Gross Anatomy
- Developmental anatomy
- Histology
- Clinical med
- Clinical application

Sem 2

- Micro
- Neuro
- Physio
- Immuno
- clinical med
- clinical app

thats not near as bad as I originally thought. I thought that was all first semester.. I teared up a bit

I went apartment hunting today and I can't decide between Alta Lofts and the Promenade at Hermann Park. I think I saw some posts from people staying at Alta Lofts. Is anyone staying at the Promenade?

I went apartment hunting today and I can't decide between Alta Lofts and the Promenade at Hermann Park. I think I saw some posts from people staying at Alta Lofts. Is anyone staying at the Promenade?

I am staying at alta lofts!

Woohoo for the Alta Lofts... I've already reserved a specific apartment for move-in in August.

I got a very nice call today asking if I got the email about retreat. YAY retreat! I'm really excited to meet all of you!

I got a very nice call today asking if I got the email about retreat. YAY retreat! I'm really excited to meet all of you!

Ditto! PS are you still in Denton? When are you moving to Houston? and should we try another Dallas get-together? Hope you are having a great summer!

YAY! Retreat! I'll probably bring my family.

Will any of you be taking part of the Pre-Entry Program? It starts July 9th and ends a week before school starts. No break for me, I guess. I heard positive things about it so I can't wait.

Ditto! PS are you still in Denton? When are you moving to Houston? and should we try another Dallas get-together? Hope you are having a great summer!

I'm still in Denton, until about July 10th. I close on the condo on the 12th so I'll probably be in College Station packing. I'd LOVE another dallas get together! Hopefully some other people would too :)

YAY! Retreat! I'll probably bring my family.

Will any of you be taking part of the Pre-Entry Program? It starts July 9th and ends a week before school starts. No break for me, I guess. I heard positive things about it so I can't wait.

I wish my boyfriend would go! But then we wouldn't have anyone to watch the dog, unless I could find a way to bring her. She's like our baby! I do really like that they make it open to families.

And I'm not doing pre entry, but I met a girl at little Woodrow's on welcome weekend who was doing it. And I know a girl who just finished her first year that did it and she said it was good.

Should get my award packet in the mail today but looking at my UTlink today my stafford information finally showed up.

The total unsub + sub = 32,169 with no mention of any grant. Does any grant show up on utlink?
I feel like if so I'm the only person that didnt get the 2 or 3k grant.

I hadn't even heard of the pre-entry thing. did they tell us somehow besides during the interview (thats way to long ago for me to remember)

Should get my award packet in the mail today but looking at my UTlink today my stafford information finally showed up.

The total unsub + sub = 32,169 with no mention of any grant. Does any grant show up on utlink?
I feel like if so I'm the only person that didnt get the 2 or 3k grant.

I hadn't even heard of the pre-entry thing. did they tell us somehow besides during the interview (thats way to long ago for me to remember)

I also did not receive a grant...boo!

I'm still in Denton, until about July 10th. I close on the condo on the 12th so I'll probably be in College Station packing. I'd LOVE another dallas get together! Hopefully some other people would too :)

Awesome...well let me know when you think will be good and we can set it up!

..I don't understand why being 22 y/o and paying for med school myself means I don't get grants, bc my parental contribution "could" be a few thousand, even though my parental contribution will be zero.

my brother has grants..we're in the same situation..somethings not right.

The pre-entry thing was invitation only. So don't stress about it.

I got grant money (TOTAL surprise!), but it isn't a big deal I don't think. it was called texas higher education grant. It could be that you didn't submit fafsa early enough. grant money is all first come first serve.

and dancer... ummmm I'm not sure when would be good. We want enough notice people will come, but not so long that people will forget. Sometime next week maybe?

The pre-entry thing was invitation only. So don't stress about it.

I got grant money (TOTAL surprise!), but it isn't a big deal I don't think. it was called texas higher education grant. It could be that you didn't submit fafsa early enough. grant money is all first come first serve.

and dancer... ummmm I'm not sure when would be good. We want enough notice people will come, but not so long that people will forget. Sometime next week maybe?

The Texas Grants are need based, not simply first come first serve (although I'm sure they do run out). That's why the school had us fill out those supplementary financial aid information forms

The Texas Grants are need based, not simply first come first serve (although I'm sure they do run out). That's why the school had us fill out those supplementary financial aid information forms

Based on my parents I would have no need, and I never filled out the supplemental application either. hmmmmmmm

How about next Tuesday at the Flying Saucer around 8?

Based on my parents I would have no need, and I never filled out the supplemental application either. hmmmmmmm

Hmmm, well then I stand corrected; the mysteries of life. But FAFSA is still based on need, I believe, so it must have something to do with that, even if the system doesn't work great. I guess the world will never know.

Edit. OR WILL IT???? No I don't think it will.

I feel like if so I'm the only person that didnt get the 2 or 3k grant

Nope you're not the only one. I just got my award letter today, just sub and unsub Stafford loans.

Pre-entry is by invitation and is optional. If I recall they offer it to those who may need it; mostly for non-trads like me who completed undergrad a while back. Although I just had a baby and wanted to spend as much time as I could get with her before school starts, who would pass up a free 5-week preview of medical school (no tuition plus $1000 scholarship for expenses :)). I heard from my first-year who participated that it's helpful.

I find it wild that you have a baby and didnt get any grants. And makes me not near as upset about it.

My need is identical to my brothers, he got the texas grants. I did fill out fafsa early, they just have been holding everything waiting for proof of citizenship. i won't do the parents one anymore.

i feel bad for wanting free money but well I'd rather be around the 95k post school average debt not the 140k that i'm pretty sure i'll be at

I find it wild that you have a baby and didnt get any grants. And makes me not near as upset about it.

My need is identical to my brothers, he got the texas grants. I did fill out fafsa early, they just have been holding everything waiting for proof of citizenship. i won't do the parents one anymore.

i feel bad for wanting free money but well I'd rather be around the 95k post school average debt not the 140k that i'm pretty sure i'll be at

I would call the fin aid office to see why. I put all my parental info down, but I also made very little money myself (less than $1000 for the year) so on my actual thing I have an EFC of zero. I'm not trying to say you're wrong, but I'd rather us find the actual answer to why some people got grants and some didn't so that next year, we can all do it right :)

I talked to my friend tonight who didn't get a grant, and he called the office and they said only people who had zero EFC were eligible for grants. He did not enter parental info, but he had made some money (about $3000) for the year, which gave him an EFC of $3000. I on the other hand did enter parental info, but made little money, had an EFC of zero, and got a grant. I hope that helps us sort some of it out.

I made close to what your friend made last year and still got the grant. My EFC came out to 0 despite that and inputting my family's income. Calling the office would probably be your best bet of figuring it out.

I made close to what your friend made last year and still got the grant. My EFC came out to 0 despite that and inputting my family's income. Calling the office would probably be your best bet of figuring it out.

I'm over not getting money.. I graduated a year early and earn enough money to make my EFC higher then most, but well I'm an RA and make no real money anyway.
Next year EFC = 0.. apply early, and hound the fin aid office.

I had typed out a long drawn out ROUGH calculation of how much money Someone would owe if they took out all that was offered and received no grants and didnt start making payments until after a fabled 4 year residency. I took to long and got logged out so I will give my final numbers.

Using 8500 of subsidized loans and the remainder unsubsidized but still stafford..

the total debt after 4th year residency would be $192600 (VERY Rough)

In order to pay that off in say, 30 years like a mortgage would be ~ 1250/month for 50 years

BTW ... I feel like $192600 = MONOPOLY money:eek: