UT-Memphis interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

So I just got the invite for UT-Memphis (at 8:30 pm-check your email, Tennesseans!), and it looks like they do 2 interviews? At opposite ends of the state (Knoxville and Memphis)? A week apart? This would be fine if I still lived in Knoxville, but now it's 9 hours to one city and 6 to the other. Anyone interviewed at UT and know if they're flexible about this?

Members don't see this ad.

So I just got the invite for UT-Memphis (at 8:30 pm-check your email, Tennesseans!), and it looks like they do 2 interviews? At opposite ends of the state (Knoxville and Memphis)? A week apart? This would be fine if I still lived in Knoxville, but now it's 9 hours to one city and 6 to the other. Anyone interviewed at UT and know if they're flexible about this?

Call them. They obviously still think that you are in Knoxville and it will be more convenient for you to have an interview there.

Call them. They obviously still think that you are in Knoxville and it will be more convenient for you to have an interview there.

Yea, that's what I'm thinking, since I went to UT-Knoxville for undergrad...

Members don't see this ad :)
can't be too upset, I knew I would get rejected due to residency issues.

Doesn't mean I don't still wish I could have gone there, though.

I don't know...I've talked to a lot of Tennesseans on my interviews and heard a lot of Memphis horror stories...

can't be too upset, I knew I would get rejected due to residency issues.

Doesn't mean I don't still wish I could have gone there, though.

Yeah, my Vandy interviewer went there, he said the clinical years are incredible because of the whole knife and gun club thing in downtown Memphis. He said he got to do stuff he's pretty sure was illegal. Sorry, armybound... but a Vandy interview is a pretty good consolation prize, I think.
:luck:

Yeah, my Vandy interviewer went there, he said the clinical years are incredible because of the whole knife and gun club thing in downtown Memphis. He said he got to do stuff he's pretty sure was illegal. Sorry, armybound... but a Vandy interview is a pretty good consolation prize, I think.
:luck:
only if they accept me :)

Hey, Taylorcraft, how long ago did you send in your secondary? I got mine last Thursday and filled it out and sent it in within 30 minutes. All the stuff went out in the mail Friday morning. Congrats on the interview by the way!

Hey, Taylorcraft, how long ago did you send in your secondary? I got mine last Thursday and filled it out and sent it in within 30 minutes. All the stuff went out in the mail Friday morning. Congrats on the interview by the way!

Thanks! I received it 7/11, mailed it 7/27, and was complete 8/2.

Congrats Taylor... So it took approximately 2 monthis (give or take) after submitting your secondary???

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats Taylor... So it took approximately 2 monthis (give or take) after submitting your secondary???

yup. I am one of the first, I think... no one else has posted in the interview thread, and I'm the only one with an interview on MDapps so far this cycle. So I wouldn't worry about not hearing from them yet.

BTW... If anyone wants to know the answer to my original question, I called them and rescheduled both interviews on the same date, in Memphis. They thought I was still living in Knoxville. So they are flexible about that.

Did you have all of you LORs in before they offered you an interview? Im assuming that is what Im waiting for, but it really sucks because I've been waiting over two months on one of my profs to write me a letter for another school.... Another letter writer has been found in her place after I realized she was screwing me, but still. *sigh* I guess I'll just wait some more.....

Did you have all of you LORs in before they offered you an interview? Im assuming that is what Im waiting for, but it really sucks because I've been waiting over two months on one of my profs to write me a letter for another school.... Another letter writer has been found in her place after I realized she was screwing me, but still. *sigh* I guess I'll just wait some more.....

yup, my letters were in early august. sucks that that's all you're waiting on. good luck! :luck:

Taylor,,, when is your Interview???

I don't know...I've talked to a lot of Tennesseans on my interviews and heard a lot of Memphis horror stories...

Number 1 city in the US for violent crime=awesome trauma exposure! If you're interested in trauma, you can't beat the Med on a Fri./Sat. night! I've been here 5 years and it's really not as bad as people say if you use common sense.

Sounds good,,, give us some feedback...

Number 1 city in the US for violent crime=awesome trauma exposure! If you're interested in trauma, you can't beat the Med on a Fri./Sat. night! I've been here 5 years and it's really not as bad as people say if you use common sense.

I envy you for working there..I applied for a job there over the summer and was rejected:(

Congrats Taylorcraft on your interviews!

I envy you for working there..I applied for a job there over the summer and was rejected:(

I applied for several positions at the time and even though I am currently employed I keep getting rejection letters in the mail... my heart jumps every time thinking it's a rejection letter from the med school.

Yeah, my Vandy interviewer went there, he said the clinical years are incredible because of the whole knife and gun club thing in downtown Memphis. He said he got to do stuff he's pretty sure was illegal.

that's a reason why I am not in Memphis right now. You can have your ghetto, impoverished city (trust me, I lived there the last 4 years) and have some good clinical experiences. King Willie (who just got reelected btw) has told the media that its not his job to solve the crime problem in that city and that if you don't like it then, "bye, bye."

The bbq is really good though, its really the only thing I miss.

Anyone else heard anything about interviews???

no one i've talked to around here has heard anything... they maybe holding out until they have all the apps.

Good luck to all my fellow Tennesseeans! Yay! Go UT! :) (I'm an undergrad at UT Knoxville...)

hey guys/gals. I'm a first year at UT. They started interviewing some people already since some of them have cycled through anatomy lab while I've been down there. I think we're just in the first or second week of interviews though.

Just wanted to let you all know that UT has slowly started interviews. Good luck to all of you out there. Interviews here are really relaxed so no one worry about them. And we interview pretty late usually, last year it went until April.

Feel free to message me if ya'll want any info about anything really. We're in tests now so might take me a week to check in.

Will someone who has already interviewed describe their experience for those of us still waiting to hear about an interview.

And how long after you submitted your letters and secondary did you have to wait before having to hear about an interview?

THANKS!

I haven't heard anything from UT in a while anyone else??? They completed my secondary at the beginning of September. I did however receive an interview from ETSU today.

Hey everyone- I had my interview a couple weeks ago. I really liked it. Dean Strother and Diane are sooo nice and I thought my interviewers were too. They divide it up so that one asks you more about your personal background and the other focuses on academics. Definitely some of the weirdest questions I've had this cycle, though. One of my interviewers (personal background one) was a psychiatrist and had me interpret famous people's quotes at one point in the interview. But if you just answer honestly, you should be fine. I'd advise everyone to read up on their "healthcare in the US" and hot topics in medical ethics because those definitely came up (in the academic interview, for me). I was really impressed with the kinds of clinical opportunities you can get there, like everyone in this thread has been saying. The M4 who gave the tour was very nice and informative. There's no real campus, unlike everywhere else I've been--just the lecture halls across the street from the hospitals and medical offices--but I wouldn't let that negatively affect your opinion of the school. Overall, a great interview day that definitely left a positive impression. Good luck everyone! :luck:

Last year it was mentioned several times in posts that the number of highly qualified applications was up at UT Memphis according to Mr. Strother and Ms. Harris. Did they mention how this year was comparing to last years numbers? Also, last year someone said they try and interview everyone who receives a secondary. Did they mention anything about this? Thanks!

Congrats to all the students receiving interviews!! You're on your way. I wanted to remind any students coming to Memphis to interview that free housing is available while you are here at the Phi Chi medical fraternity house.

Details are provided on the website at

http://www.utmem.edu/phichi

Medical students will be available to walk you to your interview if desired. You will have access to a computer with internet access (wireless available for laptops), library, free laundry facilities/iron, kitchen, gym and secure parking with card access. (Visitor card can be found in the guest room) Anyway, I look forward to meeting you guys in the upcoming weeks. If you stay at the Phi Chi house we'll try our best to give you useful info for your interview. Usually someone you will meet at the house will have interviewed with your interviewer in the past and can give you some insight as far as what to expect. Keep in mind that the application process to medical school is far more frustrating and confusing than medical school itself! Good luck!

Woot, meant to post this a couple days ago. Got an invite to interview on Nov. 27, anyone else going to be there?

Hey,

I will be interviewing soon at UT-memphis. I am a re-applicant and unlike last year when I had two interviews, this year I only have one with Dr. Milburn Park (PhD in the Dept. of Anatomy and Neurobiology). Has anybody interviewed with Dr. Park? Can any current students provide me with any information about him? Also, are all re-applicants given only one interview? Thanks and good luck to all.

I interviewed in Oct. and he was one of my interviewers. He is the Anatomy professor for the M1 students. He seemed cool. No problems here.

BTW, how do you only have one interviewer? They tell you on interview day that they do 2 interviews, each evaluating a different aspect of your application…

Hey all... No need to worry re-apps typically only do one interview... Also, what the heck is goin on they received my secondary at the beginning of september....

Just got back into town from my Memphis interview. Loved the campus, loved the people (Diane and Dean Strothers are *awesome* !).

Two weeks is so long to wait, even though that's an incredibly fast turn-around, haha

Anyone Know Dr. Gallant? That is who I interview with next Tuesday... Any insight would certainly help...

Anyone Know Dr. Gallant? That is who I interview with next Tuesday... Any insight would certainly help...

I had Dr. Gallant as one of my interviewers last year. He's a psychiatrist from Tulane (moved to Memphis after his office was...ahem...washed away, as he will tell you). He's nice, pretty easy-going interview. Definitely know every detail of your AMCAS back and forth, though. He even asks how many hours you spent on each activity and compares it to your answer on the AMCAS. Not really an issue if you know you're stuff, which most people tend to.

Thanks for the input man i really appreciate it...

Has anyone that interviewed either November 19th or 20th heard back yet?

Hey all, I don't mean to hijack this thread but....as those acceptance packets make their way to you...

I just wanted people to know about the UT-Memphis Class of 2012 thread (here) as well as a Facebook group (here).

I was offered admission last year and deferred to get my MPH so I'm headed over to Memphis in August 08. Hope some of you join me. If anyone has a question, feel free to PM me.

best, jb

wow, just got a call from Diane. Apparently I was supposed to interview today but I never received the email informing me!! Weird because I received all of my other emails with UTHSC. I'm not really sure what to do because I'm already holding an acceptance from a school that I'm excited about going to, but I know it wouldn't hurt just to go see what the schools like...

Number 1 city in the US for violent crime=awesome trauma exposure! If you're interested in trauma, you can't beat the Med on a Fri./Sat. night!

I volunterred at The Med most Thu/Fri/Sat nights over summer 07. What a place to be. Memphis is second to none for emergency medicine. Join the class of 2012 facebook group!

-drew

wow, just got a call from Diane. Apparently I was supposed to interview today but I never received the email informing me!! Weird because I received all of my other emails with UTHSC. I'm not really sure what to do because I'm already holding an acceptance from a school that I'm excited about going to, but I know it wouldn't hurt just to go see what the schools like...

wow. you'd think that they would have called/emailed you to see if you would confirm the date or not.

how long after your interview did you hear back from the school? They say the committee meets on Fridays and let people know as soon as they decide something.

Does anyone have any information on Dr. Ursula Carter (OB/Gyn) or Dr. Dhanireddy (Pediatrics)? I have interviews with them both next week. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

got my ut interview invite today. whats up w/the interviews on different days? i guess i can only call and hope diane can get me interviews on the same day...