UT-Memphis interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
ive seen it. but for those of us that dont get a call until after may 30, we are kinda in the dark about housing and whatnot, because we werent invited to go

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all, Just wanted to let you know I got the acceptance call this morning so the list is moving. I wish the best of luck to everyone!

Members don't see this ad :)
congratulations. so i guess thats 40 down =D just a few more to go for the rest of us

Thanks everyone. Hang in there - I know what you are going through. This is my third try! I hope the list moves fast and we all will be classmates.

Thanks everyone. Hang in there - I know what you are going through. This is my third try! I hope the list moves fast and we all will be classmates.

Congrats man! Hopefully see you in a few months, hehe

I am going to be reapplying. What did you do to improve your chances?

Come on, people! Drop those acceptances, hehe.

I figure since the Dean told me I'm "top third", not "top quarter", but that I am also within the average number they take off every year, I am between 55 and 60 on the list, so 14-19 to go!

so any news recently? I havent called admissions since last week and I dont really want to pester them

43 offers as of this morning.

does anyone know whether or not we can ask about our number on the lisit? it might be ego crushing, but at least i would have a more realistic understanding of my status.

Members don't see this ad :)
They'll give you a general idea but not the exact number. Dean Strother will hint at where you stand.

does anyone know whether or not we can ask about our number on the lisit? it might be ego crushing, but at least i would have a more realistic understanding of my status.

Typically, they'll tell you "top third", "top quarter", etc.

i really wish they would be more specific. that way we can know whether to wait it out or plan our next steps...

43 offers as of this morning.

My daughter got her acceptance call this morning. She was told she was in the "top forty" but apparently that meant "top forties". Hopefully many of you guys still waiting will get the call soon!:)

My daughter got her acceptance call this morning. She was told she was in the "top forty" but apparently that meant "top forties". Hopefully many of you guys still waiting will get the call soon!:)

Well tell her congrats for all of us :D

I talked to Dean Strother today at about 2:30 and they were up to 44, so she was obviously very close to 40.

Well tell her congrats for all of us :D

I talked to Dean Strother today at about 2:30 and they were up to 44, so she was obviously very close to 40.

did Dean Strother say whether or not the movement is slowing down???

thanks~

did Dean Strother say whether or not the movement is slowing down???

thanks~

Well, based on the stats on this thread, they took 5 off last week, 5 off this week, so hopefully that trend will last a bit longer. Dean Strother did mention, though, that it tends to trickle off in mid-June, with only a few coming off after that.

did he give you any indication of where you are, decaf?

it is really lame that to 40 can mean 1-49, not just 1-40. but whatev, lets hope that ~20 more get off the list in the next few weeks =D

did he give you any indication of where you are, decaf?

I was told top third, but that doesn't really guarantee anything~ Lets hope that the list keeps moving at this pace for a bit longer **fingers crossed**

for those who are attending the housing weekend, take good notes for those of us that are still waiting :)

I was told top third, but that doesn't really guarantee anything~ Lets hope that the list keeps moving at this pace for a bit longer **fingers crossed**

for those who are attending the housing weekend, take good notes for those of us that are still waiting :)

Top third here, too.

I've got your housing notes right here:

Live in Midtown.

It's way, way better and less expensive than the stupid island.

so anybody have word on how far along we are?

I've got your housing notes right here:

Live in Midtown.

It's way, way better and less expensive than the stupid island.

Hmm, I've heard mixed reviews of Midtown from a few other students. What I usually hear is that, yes, the Island is more expensive, but there are fewer robberies/cars being broken into. Granted, I've lived in decent sized cities my whole life so I'm not really worried about that, but it would be nice to be able to walk to and from my car without looking over my shoulder at night, heh. I got enough of that in DC.

Hmm, I've heard mixed reviews of Midtown from a few other students. What I usually hear is that, yes, the Island is more expensive, but there are fewer robberies/cars being broken into. Granted, I've lived in decent sized cities my whole life so I'm not really worried about that, but it would be nice to be able to walk to and from my car without looking over my shoulder at night, heh. I got enough of that in DC.

Bullcrap. Memphis is a big city (not like D.C., maybe, but an urban environment nonetheless) and anywhere you go you have to be aware of your surroundings. I lived in both places when I was in school in Memphis and I was much happier in Midtown than the island. The island is a big, expensive pain in the ass.

Read my previous (long) post detailing all the advantages of Midtown. If you go to school there, your car will be broken into at least once over 4 years no matter where you live (hell, UT campus is in one of the worst parts of town and they make you park forever away). I had a friend have 3 trucks stolen from the island, in gated communities! I had 2 other buddies have their cars broken into within sight of the campus police station in broad daylight as well. My car was broken into once on the island (in a gated community), and once in Midtown--when I was stupidly parked on the street late at night and not in my covered off-street parking space. You're not protecting yourself from crime by living on the island; Memphis' criminal element has that one figured out.

I am from Memphis, and I currently live on the island. I love the small town feel in the middle of downtown, but Midtown is nice too! It is basically just a matter of preference. I feel they are both equally safe/unsafe.

so i called the admissions office and Diane told me that offers are still being made and that i am close, but no exact number of how many offers have been made (im going to guess 46ish, based on the 5 per week offer rate that we have been getting). does anybody have an actual number that they have heard?

What Dean Strother told me last Thursday was that we can expect a slightly decreasing rate as we get closer to the middle of June, and then it really drops off to only a slight trickle of acceptances until August.

Top third here, too.

I was told top quarter. I spoke to Ms. Harris, and she told me that the person in my position on the list last year got the call on June 26th. That may help y'all with timing...

I was told top quarter. I spoke to Ms. Harris, and she told me that the person in my position on the list last year got the call on June 26th. That may help y'all with timing...

Hmm, that's weird. We're already at 45-48 people off the list, and the top quarter is 55 and up. If the trend this year is the same as last year (Dean Strother said they are only 3-4 ahead of last year currently), then they are only expecting 7 more people coming off in the next 22 days?

Ouch.

Hmm, that's weird. We're already at 45-48 people off the list, and the top quarter is 55 and up. If the trend this year is the same as last year (Dean Strother said they are only 3-4 ahead of last year currently), then they are only expecting 7 more people coming off in the next 22 days?

Ouch.

I KNOW!!!! I don't quite understand it... Ms. Harris did tell me that they were a few people ahead of schedule. But I don't know if that means I will find out a couple weeks before last year or a couple days, or what?!?! I could even find out after the 26th!! This process is so crazy!

I KNOW!!!! I don't quite understand it... Ms. Harris did tell me that they were a few people ahead of schedule. But I don't know if that means I will find out a couple weeks before last year or a couple days, or what?!?! I could even find out after the 26th!! This process is so crazy!

It's insane, hehe. I'm moving to Memphis in July regardless, as I want to get out of Nashville for a while, so I'll be ready to go if I get the call at the last minute, hehe.

It's insane, hehe. I'm moving to Memphis in July regardless, as I want to get out of Nashville for a while, so I'll be ready to go if I get the call at the last minute, hehe.
Check your PM

hey guys, i was told top 50, and that the person with my # got called june 4th last year, and i just got the call a few hours ago. it seems as though they have hit pace with last year exactly. so now the apartment hunt in memphis begins

hey guys, i was told top 50, and that the person with my # got called june 4th last year, and i just got the call a few hours ago. it seems as though they have hit pace with last year exactly. so now the apartment hunt in memphis begins

CONGRATULATIONS!!! I bet you feel great right now!!!!

yeah, its a huge load of my mind. i just want everyone else to hang in there, because im sure your call is coming soon. btw mphsgirl, do you have any suggestions for apartments?

wow, congratulations! good luck with apt hunting~ and have fun celebrating!!!!!!

yeah, its a huge load of my mind. i just want everyone else to hang in there, because im sure your call is coming soon. btw mphsgirl, do you have any suggestions for apartments?

I sent you a PM

Congrats Hathes!!

Did they give you any indication of your rank other than top 50? I mean, like, number 50 exactly or just between 45 and 50?

Congrats again!

thanks guys =D. i was actually told "top 50," but from whats been written in the past that could indicate anywhere from 40-59. but just by judging from the rate of acceptances and the number at last friday (44), i am going to guess that I was probably 46, 47, or 48. btw, V and decaf, you guys wanna try to get together sometime later next week? it would be nice to meet a few people before the fall

thanks guys =D. i was actually told "top 50," but from whats been written in the past that could indicate anywhere from 40-59. but just by judging from the rate of acceptances and the number at last friday (44), i am going to guess that I was probably 46, 47, or 48. btw, V and decaf, you guys wanna try to get together sometime later next week? it would be nice to meet a few people before the fall

Yeah, I would guess you were probably between 45 and 48 for sure. Next week sounds good, just PM me.

Ah, I miss Memphis. It's my favorite city...if I could have stayed to do residency in my chosen field I probably would have. Good luck to all you guys, even the ones silly enough to live on the island. I think I'll change my SN to "Midtown Militant."

i'm doing a summer program at UT right now and if you guys are thinking about the dorms.... just make sure it's last resort bc they overly suck. I mean no wireless internet, cobwebs, stains, etc. However, my roomie is an M-4 that got a full ride here and scored a 240/99th percentile on step 1 so the education is "if not the best in the south" were his exact words. He's doing radiology for 4th year pick on clinical, i went with him a few days and the experience is absolutely the best. I'm sure my opinion is a little biased but you guys have a really great school on your hands minus the dorms haha

Hey guys -

My friend and I have a 3br apartment in the Estates on Mud Island, and we need one more roommate. It's $1385 a month, so basically $460 each. It's a nice place, tennis courts, workout room, free movie rentals, close to the school. PM me if you're interested!

Matt

So, any news recently as far as waitlist movement, or am I the only one left in this thread who hasn't gotten in? :scared:

Ah, I miss Memphis. It's my favorite city...if I could have stayed to do residency in my chosen field I probably would have. Good luck to all you guys, even the ones silly enough to live on the island. I think I'll change my SN to "Midtown Militant."

I don't know how it can be your favorite city when you maintain that your car will be broken into no matter if you live in Midtown or Mud Island...Strange. I hate the city... with passion.:thumbdown:

At least King Willy is gone...