UT-Memphis interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
hello all,

I just received an interview offer next week at UT. Does anyone have any information on the class status? I'm assuming the class is full? How long is the wait list? How many people got in on the wait list last year?

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Can't give you any specific status about the Class of 2012, but I'm an M1 and interviewed ~mid April last year. It was either the second to last or last week of interviews.

Of the 6 or so applicants interviewing on my day, two are now in the Class of 2011. I was waitlisted for about two weeks before getting an acceptance. So there is definitely still a chance.

Let me know if you have any questions. Good luck!

I'm in 2011 too, and interviewed in late March. Two from my group are in our class now, as well.
I also don't know the exact number of people... but remember quite a few of our classmates mentioned that they came off of the waitlist.

Good luck on your interviews!

Members don't see this ad :)
Please post if you hear anything from the April 9th interview date!

Can anyone comment on how long it took to get a letter (of any type) after your interview?

Thanks!

Please post if you hear anything from the April 9th interview date!

Can anyone comment on how long it took to get a letter (of any type) after your interview?

Thanks!
um, 2 weeks to get my "no decision" letter. don't know about acceptance though~

good luck!

Did anybody hear anything from UT-memphis recently? Did them send out the final decision letter?

Thanks.

Did anybody hear anything from UT-memphis recently? Did them send out the final decision letter?

Thanks.

Diane said they final meeting was April 18th, and that all letters would be mailed April 25th (tomorrow!!).

Diane said they final meeting was April 18th, and that all letters would be mailed April 25th (tomorrow!!).

So these letters will either accept, waitlist, or reject? Or just accept/reject?

So these letters will either accept, waitlist, or reject? Or just accept/reject?

The impression I got was that it would be accept/reject/high priority waitlist/nonranked waitlist. That's what is was last year, at least.

No, still waiting here too! I haven't received the mail yet today.

Nothing in the mail for me today. Has anyone else received the letter yet?

Members don't see this ad :)
No mail yet... I'm in Memphis so I should be one of the first to get something.

Nothing in the mail today for me, either. This sucks :rolleyes: I mean, realistically I know I'm just waiting on a letter telling me I'm on the waitlist, but I still want to know! lol

nothing today, I predict it will be Thursday before I see anything

My letter came today. Waitlist as I expected. There are 222 on the waitlist this year. Good luck to all!

My letter came today. Waitlist as I expected. There are 222 on the waitlist this year. Good luck to all!

222? Hmmm, well, at least it's about 20 people smaller than last year (245, I believe, was how long last year's list was). Have you tried calling Diane to see where you are on the list?

I rcvd the alternate list letter today as well. I heard that last year there was a high priority waitlist and a nonranked waitlist. Does anyone know if they are still using that method this year? And if they are, if either Diane or Dean Strother will tell you which list you are on?

Good luck to everybody!

I rcvd the alternate list letter today as well. I heard that last year there was a high priority waitlist and a nonranked waitlist. Does anyone know if they are still using that method this year? And if they are, if either Diane or Dean Strother will tell you which list you are on?

Good luck to everybody!

I have no clue if they're doing it like that again this year, but I would lean toward yes. Last year, both Diane and Dean Strother would give you a general idea of where you were on the list, like "top half" or "top third".

If you don't mind me asking, what were your stats/ECs/interview like? I'm just wondering if any acceptances went out at all, or if they were gone weeks or months ago and we're all just waiting for waitlist letters, hehe.

Do you know if any of the letters last year actually said "high priority waitlist" or if you had to call for that info?

I don't have any information about last years letters. You are correct - the waitlist was 245 last year. I have contacted Mr. Strother and will let you know if I hear back. Let's all keep updating this thread. Thanks!

Do you know if any of the letters last year actually said "high priority waitlist" or if you had to call for that info?

My letter last year didn't say anything about "high priority" or "nonranked", so who knows :rolleyes:

Just out of curiosity, would you guys definitely go to UT if you get in? And if so, why?

Just out of curiosity, would you guys definitely go to UT if you get in? And if so, why?

I absolutely would. It has the third busiest trauma center, a great public health clinic (Clinica Esperanza), the opportunity to do a rotation abroad, and I have several friends who go there.

I actually spoke with Dean Strother this afternoon. There is only ONE waitlist and he will give you a general picture of where you stand. I was told that I am in the top half, but no specific number out of the 222 was given to me.

If accepted, I would absolutely attend UT. The school provides students with a tremendous opportunity to gain clinical experience. I also appreciate the integration of classroom knowledge with the practice of medicine in the DRSS and PCC classes. Plus, as mentioned above, there are opportunities to gain clinical skills abroad. I also found the student body environment to be more positive than that of other schools.

I actually spoke with Dean Strother this afternoon. There is only ONE waitlist and he will give you a general picture of where you stand. I was told that I am in the top half, but no specific number out of the 222 was given to me.

Any idea how many people typically get in off the waitlist? 222 sounds huge!

Anyone else get a letter today? Maybe an acceptance? It seems like everyone still waiting is getting waitlisted, adding to my suspicions that all the acceptances were, in fact, given out by March.

Anyone else get a letter today? Maybe an acceptance? It seems like everyone still waiting is getting waitlisted, adding to my suspicions that all the acceptances were, in fact, given out by March.

My mail doesn't come until 5pm, but I did get this email just now:
Thank you for taking the time from your day to open my e-mail. As you may know, the Admissions Committee has made ALL final decisions. If you have not received a final decision letter, this e-mail is sent to you to let you know that your letter is on the way to you via postal service. It was mailed Tuesday, April 29th to the address indicated on your interview letter; unless you e-mailed me to request a change of address. Also, if you contacted me via e-mail, my cell phone number and/or my office number, please accept my sincere apologies for not returning your call as promptly as I could have. I was on holiday Wednesday and I thought it would be best that I e-mail you today to let you know the status of your letter and that a final decision was made at our Friday, April 18th meeting. If you have not received your letter within 7-10 days, please let me know.

In addition, please remember to e-mail me if your contact information has changed or will be changing in the future. We appreciate your continued interest in our medical school and THANK YOU for your patience. Take care and make it a great summer! diane

Anybody else get this? It's weird that it says all final decisions have been made when we know that 222 people are on a waitlist. Odd.

got the waitlist letter yesterday, and yeah, just got that e-mail too. it frustrating because it's another reminder that i got waitlisted!

Anybody else get this? It's weird that it says all final decisions have been made when we know that 222 people are on a waitlist. Odd.

I got it just now, too. by "final decision", they mean all applications have been reviewed and either accepted, rejected, or waitlisted.

I got it just now, too. by "final decision", they mean all applications have been reviewed and either accepted, rejected, or waitlisted.

Gotcha. To me, 'final' means accept or reject, but I guess their definition is different.

got an alternate letter, too. just wrote to diane and hope to hear from her about an estimate soon

I'm curious for the next app. cycle; when did you guys apply to have to wait this late for decisions? (if this is considered late, i'm a little clueless on this)

this is actually my second time applying. i applied in july 2007 (the earliest possible). Intervied in feb, and got the waitlist letter in late april. kinda lame eh? if it drags out to the potential full length of august, i will have been waiting on a final decision for over a year

I turned in my secondary in August, interviewed Feb 1, and am now waiting.

Got my alternate letter last night along with a pink paper explaining the alternate list. Last year, I got another sheet (either yellow or green, can't remember) saying that I should look at my MCAT score. I'm curious if the fact that I didn't get something like that this year means I'm higher up on the waitlist or not. Anyone else get something other than the letter and pink sheet in their envelope?

I wasn't given any explicit recommendations on what I could do this year. However, when I called and spoke to Nelson Strother, he gave me some suggestions on what I could do if I had to re-apply.

I did not receive recommendations along with the waitlist letter and sheet explaining the waitlist.

i also got the pink sheet. i also have not received any recommendations for improving my application for next year. meh...

I live in Maryland, so I just got my letter today: "wait listed."

I got a yellow sheet explaining what the wait list was. Is there any relevance to the colors?

The pain and agony continue...........

Got my alternate letter last night along with a pink paper explaining the alternate list. Last year, I got another sheet (either yellow or green, can't remember) saying that I should look at my MCAT score. I'm curious if the fact that I didn't get something like that this year means I'm higher up on the waitlist or not. Anyone else get something other than the letter and pink sheet in their envelope?

Hi! I'm just starting my M2 year at UT, so I thought I'd throw in my experience with the waitlist last year, for comparisons sake... I interviewed in early Feb. and got my alternate letter around this time last year, same as you guys. Can't remember how many pages/colors, but it did include a recommendation that I retake the MCAT. I contacted Mr. Strother and was told (if I remember correctly) that I was "positioned fairly well" but that we'd know more as May 15th got closer. I got my acceptance phone call while at work on May 14th. :) Just wanted to share that with you guys, as I know I was trying to get any info I could to help determine my chances at this point last year... Though I warn you to be weary of reading too much into things - got burned by that quite a few times during the application process! Good luck - hope to see you around the GEB in the fall!

sunflower, if you don't mind me asking, what are your stats?

so for those of us waitlisted, anybody feel like sharing stats? 31+3.5

For what it's worth, here are my two pennies. I was accepted at UT last year but turned it down to re-apply to different schools (want more research). Will be matriculating this fall elsewhere (accepted, but WL'd at top choice). If it's clinical experience you're lookin for, UT is amazing. So there's an upside to the crime rate in Memphis haha.

If not accepted this cycle, definitely apply as early as possible this summer (i.e., submit AMCAS on June 1...or whenever they let you submit it), but I'm not sure how that would work if you're still on the WL for this cycle. Applying early makes a big difference. Like a post above me, I was told of a guy last year w/ 33 MCAT, 3.85 Biochem major at top 50 undergrad who was waitlisted at UT. My point is that you should by NO means feel inadequate if not accepted.

As for what to do differently, make sure your #'s are strong enough (MCAT). If you're dead-set on UT, maybe try to get a job working in one of the labs of a faculty member. There are a couple of free clinics where you could work (somewhere in Midtown...I think on Bellevue) that are run by guys who have good connections to UT admissions. Point: try to do something w/ UT such that you could get connected, if you don't already have plans.

If you're waitlisted for the second time, I would think that you're high priority. My friend was rejected first time after being waitlisted for Fall '02 entrance, waitlisted second time then finally accepted July '03. Again, if it still doesn't work out, talk to Mr. Strother to see how to strengthen the app. Apply to a bunch more schools and consider osteopathic.

Keep a truckin. May 15th should hopefully make us happy.

This was more than 2 cents. More like a dollar.

Just wanted to let everyone know the waitlist has started to move. I am still waiting but I contacted the admissions office and was told movement had started.