UT Southwestern 2015-2016

Started by Stdeww
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Stdeww

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi fellow classmates,

I'm just going to start a thread here, so we who will attend UTSW in August or previous students can discuss topics ranging from housing to academic preparation for school. First off, congratulation y'all! I have a couple of questions that keep bugging me:
  • How do y'all feel about the new curriculum next year?
  • Coming from an athletic background (I run track at a small private university), I don't feel strong enough in academics. Should I do something to boost myself?
  • If I couldn't stay in Med Park, what are other favorable choices for students?
  • If didn't attend MS0, did I miss anything important?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
This is probably better placed in the application-specific thread or on a Facebook group rather than a random SDN thread.
Thank you, NickNaylor! Can you show me how to move the post to Specific Discussion?
 
Anybody a reapplicant and have no clue how to rewrite this secondary? I applied 2 cycles ago (pretty late due to a July MCAT) and got waitlisted in the end. I pretty much feel exactly the same about the setting in which I want to practice medicine lol.
 
Anybody a reapplicant and have no clue how to rewrite this secondary? I applied 2 cycles ago (pretty late due to a July MCAT) and got waitlisted in the end. I pretty much feel exactly the same about the setting in which I want to practice medicine lol.

Can I ask when you were complete by when you applied earlier? I'm planning to take a July MCAT, but am worried it will hurt my chances. I'm trying to decide whether I should just take a gap year at this point 🤔
 
Can I ask when you were complete by when you applied earlier? I'm planning to take a July MCAT, but am worried it will hurt my chances. I'm trying to decide whether I should just take a gap year at this point 🤔

Well in 2013 I submitted my primary and stuff like July 3rd. But due to my MCAT score not being released until mid-August, my primary wasn't transmitted until then. So after that my secondary wasn't really complete until mid-September because school had started for me, and I got super busy. It was a risk submitting my primary without knowing my score, but DEFINITELY don't wait on your score if you want to have any chance at all.
In my opinion, applying as early as possible is really a huge deal, but it always depends on your individual application of course. I honestly couldn't believe I got to interview. I didn't get to interview until January though, and by that point the classes in Texas are basically filled.
 
Submitted my secondary!
I think I like my first essay a little better, but I can live with this one haha.
Now I just have to wait on my recommendation writers and pre-health committee to finish up my letters!