UW Madison c/o 2025

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

krosesilver

Full Member
2+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello!
I didn’t see a forum yet for UW so I thought I’d start one! I’m a first time, IS applicant. Good luck to everyone who applied!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I’m taking the GRE for the first time in a couple weeks, I’m super nervous! My grades are kind of average so I’m hoping this will help boost my application a little 🙂
 
So glad to see this thread posted! UW is awesome 🙂
I'm a first year and happy to answer any questions you might have (under the caveat that I'm also trying to figure things out).

Good luck on your GREs all!!!
 
I’m applying here too! 2nd time applicant but first time to UW, non-trad OOS student!
 
Question: has anybody reached out to confirm that Wisconsin received their GRE scores? Debating whether or not I should do that or wait until I receive the supplement

I called to confirm they received them. The person who answered was really nice so I would recommend calling to check because it was really easy! You can also email to check if that’s easier
 
Do we have a timeline of when we're expected to receive interview invites or rejections?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi everyone! I was crossing my t's and dotting my i's today and I noticed something that I hadn't before! Fall 2020 transcripts need to be sent to the school by Jan 15!
All y'all probably already knew this, but incase it flew under anyone else's radar, I thought I'd post it🙂
 
Everyone gets the supplemental app! 🙂
If anyone has any questions about apps or the school, happy to try to answer them the best I can 🙂
 
I don’t remember this in any vmcas essay? I just talked about my major career goals... I don’t really have a second. What should I put?
 
I don’t remember this in any vmcas essay? I just talked about my major career goals... I don’t really have a second. What should I put?

image-2020-11-20-16:16:43-045.jpg
 
Yea! So VMCAS didn't specifically ask for this. I think they just want to know in general what area of vet med you'd want to go into when you graduate. (It's okay if it's not set in stone since lots of people's interests end up changing after the fours years!)
If you're undecided about a second choice, just put undecided.
 
Wait, what are the essays? I see long-answer questions, but nothing that I would think to answer in essay format.
Edit: I see now that they call the long-answer questions essays. Is it fine not to answer ones that don’t apply (additional non-animal experiences and COVID-19)?
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am wondering about that too...I feel like the diversity one is the most important and I don't even have something to say necessarily for all of them.
Yeah I feel the same way. It feels weird to just respond to the diversity question and leave everything else blank. I'll have a short part to add for the Covid question since I'll mention I couldn't add anymore volunteer or shadowing experience due to it, but that's really it.
 
What are your thoughts on the qualifications adversely affected question? One person recommends I write about everything I did after undergrad that got me to where I am now (like internships and licenses and jobs and a Masters Degree and continuing my "quest for knowledge and personal growth") and another person says I should write not applicable as my life is pretty cash money.

The only thing that I think adversely affected my qualifications is that I didn't get in last year and have been retaking some classes to earn better grades/refresh on the material. But all my other life experiences weren't because anything adversely affected me- most of them were before I even decided to go to vet school, and they were all to just get to the point in my career that I wanted to be (at the time).

Any advice?
 
What are your thoughts on the qualifications adversely affected question? One person recommends I write about everything I did after undergrad that got me to where I am now (like internships and licenses and jobs and a Masters Degree and continuing my "quest for knowledge and personal growth") and another person says I should write not applicable as my life is pretty cash money.

The only thing that I think adversely affected my qualifications is that I didn't get in last year and have been retaking some classes to earn better grades/refresh on the material. But all my other life experiences weren't because anything adversely affected me- most of them were before I even decided to go to vet school, and they were all to just get to the point in my career that I wanted to be (at the time).

Any advice?
I just chose not to write anything for that but I also felt like I had a solid answer for the diversity essay. It's ultimately up to you but personally I try not to b.s. things like that when I don't feel that they were meant for me.
 
For the Covid-19 Pandemic Impact question, I was planning on saying I couldn't volunteer or shadow anywhere since March. Should I specifically mention that I intended to get more food animal experience during the spring and summer of this year? I know how UW values food animal experience a lot and I did intend to shadow more vets in that field, but I'm worried if I mention it specifically it'll draw more attention to the limited hours I have for food animals.
 
For the Covid-19 Pandemic Impact question, I was planning on saying I couldn't volunteer or shadow anywhere since March. Should I specifically mention that I intended to get more food animal experience during the spring and summer of this year? I know how UW values food animal experience a lot and I did intend to shadow more vets in that field, but I'm worried if I mention it specifically it'll draw more attention to the limited hours I have for food animals.
Lots of people in my class don't have food animal experience (I am one of them). If you can get them, great! But... the admin is also really understanding on how COVID has severely limited opportunities to work with animals esp in a vet setting due to safety reasons.
 
Happy holidays, everyone! Does anyone know when we should be hearing? I know they said rolling admissions, but I'm just wondering if anyone had an estimate!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Happy holidays, everyone! Does anyone know when we should be hearing? I know they said rolling admissions, but I'm just wondering if anyone had an estimate!
The email we got following submission of our supplementals said we should be hearing by the end of March 2021, which is so far away!!