HPSP & Relinquishing Disability Rating??!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GirlDad0613

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello SDN,

I am currently in undergrad, but will graduate in Spring 2021. I am looking to pursue a career in dentistry. As such, I have been in contact with the local recruiter regarding HPSP. I hope someone can provide some insight on what he is relaying to me.

The recruiter is telling me that before he can initiate any application on my behalf, I must relinquish my disability rating. With that in mind, this would me that if I were to not get accepted into an HPSP in any branch, I would not have my VA disability anymore. Once I relinquish it and say I am 100%, I cannot go back and try to claim those injuries again. I understand that when I begin active service again my VA rating will go away, but I thought this would happen when I was accepted into the program, not when I applied. I would then have to be cleared physically at MEPS by a physician, and then he will be able to start the process.

I am just looking for someone that can shed some light on this situation, as I can assume I am not the only disabled vet that has applied for HPSP. Let's be honest with one another, recruiters aren't the most honest people in the military. Some are lazy and do not want to do additional paperwork if they do not have to. Though the amount is relatively insignificant compared to compensation as a dentist, as a husband and father of two young girls, every penny counts right now.

My background:
Marine for 8 years, honorable discharge with outstanding marks/evaluations across the board. However, following separation I was rated at 60% disabled, for what seems to me as basic, service-related medical issues.

The rating includes:
Partial hearing loss, corrected by wearing a hearing device.
Shoulder issue (torn labrum): had surgery prior to separation of service, yet my evaluation was completed prior to this. I now have full range of motion and use of my shoulder.
Knee issues (impact injury to patella; loss of cartilage posterior to patella): have been through countless hours of PT and my knee will inflame from time to time, yet have I full use of knee. I am an avid cyclist and swimmer, I shy away from running due to the boredom that ensues (never experienced the euphoria of runner's high). Plus I....enjoyed.... plenty of running in the Marines.

I digress, but that is the gist of what got me my 60% rating. I do not have any mental illnesses (unless you ask my wife...joking).

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello SDN,

I am currently in undergrad, but will graduate in Spring 2021. I am looking to pursue a career in dentistry. As such, I have been in contact with the local recruiter regarding HPSP. I hope someone can provide some insight on what he is relaying to me.

The recruiter is telling me that before he can initiate any application on my behalf, I must relinquish my disability rating. With that in mind, this would me that if I were to not get accepted into an HPSP in any branch, I would not have my VA disability anymore. Once I relinquish it and say I am 100%, I cannot go back and try to claim those injuries again. I understand that when I begin active service again my VA rating will go away, but I thought this would happen when I was accepted into the program, not when I applied. I would then have to be cleared physically at MEPS by a physician, and then he will be able to start the process.

I am just looking for someone that can shed some light on this situation, as I can assume I am not the only disabled vet that has applied for HPSP. Let's be honest with one another, recruiters aren't the most honest people in the military. Some are lazy and do not want to do additional paperwork if they do not have to. Though the amount is relatively insignificant compared to compensation as a dentist, as a husband and father of two young girls, every penny counts right now.

My background:
Marine for 8 years, honorable discharge with outstanding marks/evaluations across the board. However, following separation I was rated at 60% disabled, for what seems to me as basic, service-related medical issues.

The rating includes:
Partial hearing loss, corrected by wearing a hearing device.
Shoulder issue (torn labrum): had surgery prior to separation of service, yet my evaluation was completed prior to this. I now have full range of motion and use of my shoulder.
Knee issues (impact injury to patella; loss of cartilage posterior to patella): have been through countless hours of PT and my knee will inflame from time to time, yet have I full use of knee. I am an avid cyclist and swimmer, I shy away from running due to the boredom that ensues (never experienced the euphoria of runner's high). Plus I....enjoyed.... plenty of running in the Marines.

I digress, but that is the gist of what got me my 60% rating. I do not have any mental illnesses (unless you ask my wife...joking).

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

'Tis true. While you receive an award, you are considered "disabled." Some conditions are waiverable, hence the need to be re-evaluated as well as your medical record looked over and such to clear you. To apply, you cannot have a current rating. The idea is that how can you current be "disabled" from service while applying to continue to serve. You need to have a clear slate in a sense to apply to come back in. This is different than getting off active duty and then getting a rating and continue to service the remainder of the 8 year contract in the reserves. This is an entirely new contract.

That said, that does not mean you cannot re-claim things. Re-claiming however does not guarantee receiving the rating you once had or a rating at all for the new claim, and you'll receive no compensation for the duration between relinquishing and reapplying/getting a new award if it comes to that. Nor will you receive anything for the duration of relinquishing and beginning school under HPSP if it is received.

There are a few other avenues however that are similar or better or not quite as good depending on your view that get the job done while keeping your rating: GI Bill (possible extension for STEM), Voc Rehab (recent renamed to Veteran Readiness), and VA HPSP (yes the VA has an HPSP of their own, and this current year is the first for physicians - I believe that may also have it for dentists, so double check before quoting me on VA HPSP for dentistry).

If you have a 60% rating, it would be much wiser (IMHO) to attempt to get voc rehab to pay for med school. If after graduating and/or finishing residency you still feel the desire to serve, you can apply to direct commission. If things change or your disability gets worse, then you have saved a lot of headaches. Additionally, I seem to recall that you can serve in the reserves and maintain your rating. Regardless, giving up that rating would be the absolute last step I would take.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I can only concur what others have stated. You do need to be cleared before ever being considered for service and that includes school benefits in exchange for service. Whether you get accepted or not you have to be cleared once you actually apply.

As for reclaiming anything, the VA is tightening the ropes these days and not in favor for vets. I don't know what tools are still in front of you as far as benefits but this is what I'd consider:

1) GI Bill. I have met many people who put the GI Bill on hold for the opportunity to use it in grad school status. I do not know if you are currently using it or not but for dentistry costs I'd sink those benefits right into the school tuition as dental school is notorious for their education costs.

2) Chapter 31 Benefits (VR&E -- from Vocational Rehabilitation & Employment to Veteran Readiness & Employment). It never hurts to look into this benefit as it covers not only school costs, but book supplies, laptop & printer (if needed), and professional licensing book materials and tests. Also to note, you would be paid at the Post 9/11 housing rate so long as you have 1 day left of your GI Bill benefit.

3) VA applications upon graduation: If you feel the need to keep serving, you can always do a buy-back protocol with the VA of which for a small fee you apply your 8 years of military service toward a pension plan which sets you up for higher pay out pension should you ever feel the need to leave.

I tried looking up the latest VA HPSP and couldn't find one for dentistry at this time: " Health Professional Scholarship Programs " but I'd still keep searching for any changes since recently physicians have been included with the VA HPSP (as mentioned). I also do not want to try to sway someone from clearing away their disability rating, but I would insist to look at other avenues before making this attempt. I would feel (as I have a rating as well with two kids) your family would benefit for alternative options at this time before moving forward with your original plan. Nonetheless this is a personal choice and I wont stop anyone for wanting to do continual service but though I'd lay out the details a bit more just for drifted thought.

You either have the medical condition or you don’t. Your answer shouldn’t changed based on who you are talking to or what money is on the table.

Actually this is not entirely true. As with many things in life, it depends. The law states that you can't draw both VA disability and military pay at once. It makes no mention of losing a rating. Some of the VA ratings are for damages done rather than constant disability. For example, I had a hard landing as a pilot and ruptured 2 discs. It disabled me for years and am rated at 40% for it. I had surgery and that helped it a lot to where I can run and do more stuff. The VA didn't change the rating because it is outside the window. The same if you had anxiety or ptsd but have been stable for years on medication. The VA doesn't drop your rating because you are stable on meds because you'd be unstable without them. However you do need to get waivers for such stuff and they are waived depending on the disability. There are even stipulations that active duty pilots can be back on flight status after being stable on meds for x amount of months. It is far easier for recruiters to get you in without any conditions ( some go so far as to tell you to lie) than get you through the waiver process. I don't know if this will help but here.

Last edited:
You either have the medical condition or you don’t. Your answer shouldn’t changed based on who you are talking to or what money is on the table.
You can have a condition such as ptsd that you are stable with medication but unstable without it. Then you request a waiver. Times have changed as per some disabilities and going into the service. Another example is the military allows amputees in on waiver. That doesn't mean their leg grew back, just they are able to function with it. Not all VA ratings are based on loss of function. The VA pays for agent orange exposure is another example. I realize those guys are too old for this but there are guys getting 30% for agent orange chloracne. It makes no requirements as to how it functionally disabled them just that it is deep and covers at least 40% of their body. So to make a blanket statement of you either have it or you don't with the insinuation that you can't have a rating without a functional disability isn't completely true.

Last edited:
You can have a condition such as ptsd that you are stable with medication but unstable without it. Then you request a waiver. Times have changed as per some disabilities and going into the service. Another example is the military allows amputees in on waiver. That doesn't mean their leg grew back, just they are able to function with it. Not all VA ratings are based on loss of function. The VA pays for agent orange exposure is another example. I realize those guys are too old for this but there are guys getting 30% for agent orange chloracne. It makes no requirements as to how it functionally disabled them just that it is deep and covers at least 40% of their body. So to make a blanket statement of you either have it or you don't with the insinuation that you can't have a rating without a functional disability isn't completely true.
My statement was about declaration. One shouldn’t be changing their answers based on money, i.e. you either have the restriction of motion in a joint and have pain or you don’t

that’s all

My statement was about declaration. One shouldn’t be changing their answers based on money, i.e. you either have the restriction of motion in a joint and have pain or you don’t

that’s all
That's right however my point is there is no reason to do so since waivers are options. Just tell them you have this condition and that it is stable and you are worldwide deployable. To be a military Dr you need to have Pulhes rating of at least 222222.

That's right however my point is there is no reason to do so since waivers are options. Just tell them you have this condition and that it is stable and you are worldwide deployable. To be a military Dr you need to have Pulhes rating of at least 222222.
Agreed, honest disclosure is the approach

I absolutely would not give up the disability rating that you are entitled to because of your service-related injury regardless of the extent of your disability at the current moment. The VA has the same scholarship that should not affect your disability rating as you aren't returning to the military again. Also, VA has other scholarships for Veterans, so check that out as well. There are a number of others on here that have been accepted into the VA program relatively quickly.