VA HPSP (Physician)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
My application status just changed from "Application scored" to "Offer pending." Excited as can be!!!

Members don't see this ad.

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
Woke up to great news this morning. “The program officer for the Health Professional Scholarship Program has offered you the scholarship.

Please log into the applicant system with the link provided below to review the details of the scholarship award offer.”

Reactions: 6 users
Completed all of the background paperwork and am in hurry up and wait mode. Got a question that I wonder if anyone has seen an answer to. So I was accepted to ATSU-SOMA in Dec. and paid my deposit and did the VA-HPSP app based on attending SOMA. I subsequently interviewed at another medical school, UIWSOM, a few weeks ago and was admitted. As it turns out, there are some features to UIWSOM that I like moreso than SOMA and it may be a better school for me. Does anyone know if you have been approved for the HPSP for one school is it possible to 'transfer' the scholarship to another school that you've been admitted to?

Members don't see this ad :)
Completed all of the background paperwork and am in hurry up and wait mode. Got a question that I wonder if anyone has seen an answer to. So I was accepted to ATSU-SOMA in Dec. and paid my deposit and did the VA-HPSP app based on attending SOMA. I subsequently interviewed at another medical school, UIWSOM, a few weeks ago and was admitted. As it turns out, there are some features to UIWSOM that I like moreso than SOMA and it may be a better school for me. Does anyone know if you have been approved for the HPSP for one school is it possible to 'transfer' the scholarship to another school that you've been admitted to?
I’ve spoken with one of the program coordinators who said you can “transfer” it

I’ve spoken with one of the program coordinators who said you can “transfer” it
Thank you; that is good to know. I'll email Scott Dixon in the morning to verify as well. Thanks again.

I'm currently sitting in "Application Packet Accepted" status. Anyone know how long it stays like this?

I'm currently sitting in "Application Packet Accepted" status. Anyone know how long it stays like this?
I submitted my application Feb 25th 2021 and it changed to application scored today (Mar. 23 2021). So it is around 3.5 weeks that I waited to have anything change. Still have not gotten my official word if I am being offered the award or not, it seems like from other people that it is around 3-5 days after being scored that it changes to an application outcome (you get an email when there is an application decision available). Hope that helps!

Reactions: 1 users
Took about a month from submission to status update.

Reactions: 1 user
You guys that got accepted -- when you wrote your applications, did you get straight to the point (and write essays well under the character limits) or did you dress up your essays in stories like applying to general med school? Seems like the VA might prefer me get straight to the point (especially since activity and work experience sections limit descriptions to 20-30 characters), instead of detailing heartfelt patient interactions and life experiences that drove my aspirations of becoming a VA physician. Would love to hear how you all approached it. Thanks!
Mine were definitely not at the full character limit, but I think its still important to include some stories that dress it up a little. I definitely did for some of the them. Others were about one sentence (ie what specialty I was interested in and why). its basically somewhere in between being straight to the point and adding fluff to dress up your essay. That might not be what you want to hear lol.

Do you think if your med school is expensive, you are less likely to get the scholarship?
My medical school is the most expensive school in chicago.. granted I applied late and am only getting it for my last two years but my tuition is above 70k

Woke up to great news this morning. “The program officer for the Health Professional Scholarship Program has offered you the scholarship.

Please log into the applicant system with the link provided below to review the details of the scholarship award offer.”
I got my email yesterday afternoon! I've been working on the background check today :) so excited!

My medical school is the most expensive school in chicago.. granted I applied late and am only getting it for my last two years but my tuition is above 70k
Thank you this gives me hope because my tuition is like 68k lol. Looking to only apply for like two years.

Members don't see this ad :)
Under professional activities is it a summary of your resume or additional type activities?

Also any current VA employees applying/applied?

Is there a deadline to submit? I don't see it on their website.

I wasn't aware of this scholarship until very recently. My expected debt burden will likely be through the roof so I am strongly considering applying to this program.

Quick questions:
1) Is the application process competitive? And what sort of essays are they looking for?

2) Do I have to find a connection to the military or have a long-standing desire to work with veterans?

3) Are there specialities that they would prefer to have their students go in to? Or would saying I am interested in a surgical sub-speciality have no bearing on my scholarship application?

4) When is the application due?

I found out about this scholarship and am super interested in applying! I had some questions about the mobility agreement that was mentioned as part of the conditions for the scholarship. Does this agreement dictate where we are placed in the country to work as a physician? Or do we get to pick where we work and this agreement just serves as a clause saying that we can be moved to a different location under certain circumstances. I would appreciate any input from students who have gotten the scholarship or anyone that is familiar with this type of agreement. Thanks!

I wasn't aware of this scholarship until very recently. My expected debt burden will likely be through the roof so I am strongly considering applying to this program.

Quick questions:
1) Is the application process competitive? And what sort of essays are they looking for?

2) Do I have to find a connection to the military or have a long-standing desire to work with veterans?

3) Are there specialities that they would prefer to have their students go in to? Or would saying I am interested in a surgical sub-speciality have no bearing on my scholarship application?

1) At the moment, no. The program is only a year old at this point, but it's likely that it will become more competitive every month and year going forward. Be thoughtful and detailed in your essays--it is for a full tuition scholarship opportunity.

2) No, but it would help. You definitely need to articulate why you want to serve veterans though.

3) Haven't heard of any restrictions other than no pediatrics. Kinda back to #2 though, articulate why that specialty and why veterans.

4) I believe it's due at least 3 months before you want payments to start

I found out about this scholarship and am super interested in applying! I had some questions about the mobility agreement that was mentioned as part of the conditions for the scholarship. Does this agreement dictate where we are placed in the country to work as a physician? Or do we get to pick where we work and this agreement just serves as a clause saying that we can be moved to a different location under certain circumstances. I would appreciate any input from students who have gotten the scholarship or anyone that is familiar with this type of agreement. Thanks!
The mobility agreement is basically just to say that you won't be helped monetarily when it comes to moving to your placement. I've spoken with the placement coordinator, and I would recommend you reach out to him as well for more info regarding this. However, I'll paraphrase what he said:

1. The federal hiring system is not set up to place a scholarship recipient wherever there is need -- although it would be easier that way. I receive opportunities and refer applicants to hiring managers OR applicants go through usajobs.gov and apply for positions that way.

2. The specialty of the physician applicant varies the process. Say there is a location you want to go but there is no availability. The execs at that facility can create the position if there is a need for it. Facilities may also decide to start up clinics to support specialties.

3. You would also stay in the same position all years of payback unless you decided you wanted to go elsewhere.

Quick questions:

I'm glad my suggestion was helpful. I can't help you with specifics with VA HPSP as it didn't exist when I was entering medical school. I will say if you have zero exposure to the military/veterans it might be a good idea to try to volunteer at some veterans organization to get some essay fodder. A local VA medical center would be ideal, but any veterans organization will work. Not the end of the world if you're not able to due to COVID restrictions, but it would definitely help if you could.

The mobility agreement is basically just to say that you won't be helped monetarily when it comes to moving to your placement. I've spoken with the placement coordinator, and I would recommend you reach out to him as well for more info regarding this. However, I'll paraphrase what he said:

1. The federal hiring system is not set up to place a scholarship recipient wherever there is need -- although it would be easier that way. I receive opportunities and refer applicants to hiring managers OR applicants go through usajobs.gov and apply for positions that way.

2. The specialty of the physician applicant varies the process. Say there is a location you want to go but there is no availability. The execs at that facility can create the position if there is a need for it. Facilities may also decide to start up clinics to support specialties.

3. You would also stay in the same position all years of payback unless you decided you wanted to go elsewhere.
Thank you, that helps a lot! :)

Anyone have an idea of the acceptance rate? I heard they filled less than their 50 minimum scholarships last year. Has anyone heard if they’ve met this quota for the fiscal year or if they are expecting to?

I submitted my application 10 days ago. Yesterday my status changed to packet scored, and today it is offer pending. I just spoke to Mr. Dixon (program manager) and he said 'offer pending' means I have been awarded the scholarship and they're just waiting for the chairman of the board to sign off on it.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
I submitted my Easter egg collection 10 days ago. Yesterday my status changed to packet scored, and today it is offer pending. I just spoke to Mr. Dixon (program manager) and he said 'offer pending' means I have been awarded the scholarship and they're just waiting for the chairman of the board to sign off on it.
My package was submitted yesterday. That's a very very fast turnaround time! Do you have any military background?

My package was submitted yesterday. That's a very very fast turnaround time! Do you have any military background?
Yes, I'm a veteran and am still serving in the National Guard.

• Care
For those of you who have been awarded the scholarship, what kind of information did they provide you after you were accepted? Are there any restrictions on residency? If you do your residency at a VA hospital can it count towards time owed? Also, are there any VA obligations throughout medical school (summer months)?

Last edited:
For those of you who have been awarded the scholarship, what kind of information did they provided you after you accepted? Are there any restrictions on residency? If you do your residency at a VA hospital can it count towards time owed? Also, are there any VA obligations throughout medical school (summer months)?
I sent an email to them about the residency time and they told me that it does not count toward your service owed or toward federal service as far as retirement :(

Also, I could be wrong, but it seems there are not really any "strictly VA" residencies, but if you do a residency at like Stanford or UW (the two places I've experienced) you will rotate through the VA associated with that GME.

I sent an email to them about the residency time and they told me that it does not count toward your service owed or toward federal service as far as retirement :(

Also, I could be wrong, but it seems there are not really any "strictly VA" residencies, but if you do a residency at like Stanford or UW (the two places I've experienced) you will rotate through the VA associated with that GME.
That's unfortunate, but I figured that would be the case as far as time/service owed and retirement. I read somewhere that they are very flexible on locating you at your desired location (even creating new positions if need be). Do you know if there is any truth to this, or are there cases of people being sent to different states against their wishes?

That's unfortunate, but I figured that would be the case as far as time/service owed and retirement. I read somewhere that they are very flexible on locating you at your desired location (even creating new positions if need be). Do you know if there is any truth to this, or are there cases of people being sent to different states against their wishes?
I really hope they respond with some good information and I am wrong but my understanding is that they started this physician scholarship 1-2 years ago for the VA so I don’t think there’s any experience with completion of the contract

Is there an application for this year? I've searched but found nothing.

Is there an application for this year? I've searched but found nothing.
You didn't search very hard. If you google "VA HPSP 2021", this is the 1st hyper-link that shows up below two ads.

Click that and hit the "APPLY HERE" button on the top right...

You didn't search very hard. If you google "VA HPSP 2021", this is the 1st hyper-link that shows up below two ads.

Click that and hit the "APPLY HERE" button on the top right...
Much appreciated!

I submitted my application 10 days ago. Yesterday my status changed to packet scored, and today it is offer pending. I just spoke to Mr. Dixon (program manager) and he said 'offer pending' means I have been awarded the scholarship and they're just waiting for the chairman of the board to sign off on it.
Did you apply for 4 year scholarship?

Did you apply for 4 year scholarship?
I don't recall being asked in the application how many years I was applying for (but I might have, just don't remember). Regardless, I intend to use it for all 4 years.

I don't recall being asked in the application how many years I was applying for (but I might have, just don't remember). Regardless, I intend to use it for all 4 years.
Great congrats again on the scholarship man/gal! Hope one day i can be like y'all lol.

Does "award pending" status mean anything?
In my experience with disability or what not.."award pending" usually means..."Ok, we've decided we are going to give this to you, but as a governmental agency we need all the signatures and paperwork, so we are now working on that"

My application status just changed from "Application scored" to "Offer pending." Excited as can be!!!
Hey! congratulations! I also got in UIWSOM and will be heading there in July. My package is currently "offer pending." Send me a private message, id love to connect with you before heading there. I live in CT right now, so I'm looking for any information regarding the area, so we might be able to exchange information.

how does pursuing fellowships work with this program? can you do a fellowship after residency but before starting your 6 years of owed service?

also, does anyone know if a university IA would basically eliminate one's chances of getting this scholarship?

lastly, how much opportunity is there for pay raises during those first 6 years? Seems like almost all specialties are starting around 110-125K, and that includes even the "tier 2" pay scale which I imagine would take some time to achieve. I also would think that everyone would begin their 6 years around the bottom of the totem pole. Does anyone have any insight on this?

Last edited:
how does pursuing fellowships work with this program? can you do a fellowship after residency but before starting your 6 years of owed service?

also, does anyone know if a university IA would basically eliminate one's chances of getting this scholarship?

lastly, how much opportunity is there for pay raises during those first 6 years? Seems like almost all specialties are starting around 110-125K, and that includes even the "tier 2" pay scale which I imagine would take some time to achieve. I also would think that everyone would begin their 6 years around the bottom of the totem pole. Does anyone have any insight on this?
I'm not an expert on this scholarship, but I'll try to help you out!

Probably treated similarly to applying to med school. I would imagine it depends on what the IA was for. For instance, I'd imagine a one-time IA for drinking your freshman year w/ no criminal charges would be treated differently than a DUI,.

Seems like almost all specialties are starting around 110-125K, and that includes even the "tier 2" pay scale which I imagine would take some time to achieve. I also would think that everyone would begin their 6 years around the bottom of the totem pole. Does anyone have any insight on this?
To my knowledge you will use USAJobs after graduation to find an open position at the VA. USAJobs lists the salaries for each position. In my state (rural) there are Family Medicine jobs starting at $225,000. Other specialties will be much higher. I found this government article regarding the tiers and specialties. For instance, pay table 2 says hospitalists range from $104,843 to $336,000 depending on tier. Tier 1 hospitalists cap-out at $282,480.

From the article I mentioned:
Under 38 U.S.C. 7431(e)(1)(A), not less often than once every 2 years, the Secretary must prescribe for Department-wide applicability the minimum and maximum amounts of annual pay that may be paid to VHA physicians, dentists, and podiatrists. 38 U.S.C. 7431(e)(1)(B) allows the Secretary to prescribe separate minimum and maximum amounts of annual pay for a specialty or assignment.

It seems like starting pay varies greatly by geographic region and need. My area is seeking a lot of physicians across several specialties; they appear to pay well above the minimum.

Where are you getting the information that almost all specialties are starting around 110-125k? Based on these pay charts found here: https://www.va.gov/OHRM/Pay/2021/PhysicianDentist/PayTables_20210103.pdf ??
It is my understanding that starting salaries are primarily based on what the average regional salary is for the specialty. Obviously, the VA will pay less than what the average is for your region, but not astronomically so. For instance, I'd be shocked if you were an emergency medicine physician in Florida that your starting salary would be less than $160k. Don't confuse minimum with starting. Many variables to consider.

Where are you getting the information that almost all specialties are starting around 110-125k? Based on these pay charts found here: https://www.va.gov/OHRM/Pay/2021/PhysicianDentist/PayTables_20210103.pdf ??
It is my understanding that starting salaries are primarily based on what the average regional salary is for the specialty. Obviously, the VA will pay less than what the average is for your region, but not astronomically so. For instance, I'd be shocked if you were an emergency medicine physician in Florida that your starting salary would be less than $160k. Don't confuse minimum with starting. Many variables to consider.
Another thing to note is that the tables apply to physicians, dentists, and podiatrists. 2 of those 3 are not like the other!

I'm not an expert on this scholarship, but I'll try to help you out!

Probably treated similarly to applying to med school. I would imagine it depends on what the IA was for. For instance, I'd imagine a one-time IA for drinking your freshman year w/ no criminal charges would be treated differently than a DUI,.

To my knowledge you will use USAJobs after graduation to find an open position at the VA. USAJobs lists the salaries for each position. In my state (rural) there are Family Medicine jobs starting at $225,000. Other specialties will be much higher. I found this government article regarding the tiers and specialties. For instance, pay table 2 says hospitalists range from $104,843 to $336,000 depending on tier. Tier 1 hospitalists cap-out at $282,480.

From the article I mentioned:

It seems like starting pay varies greatly by geographic region and need. My area is seeking a lot of physicians across several specialties; they appear to pay well above the minimum.
thanks for all the input!!

and wow, I did not think to look on the website. I just pessimistically assumed that you would probably be starting around the minimum. but you're right, there are plenty of positions in the 225+ range

Thanks, I see what you mean. Do you happen to know anything regarding fellowships? Can you do them right after residency?

This is great! Mine is "offer pending" and I was not sure what that meant! thank you for the update; saved me from emailing Mr. Dixon as well.

Guys i have a question about the academic verification form. For those who are incoming M1 how did you fill this form? Did you have your anticipated medical school fill it out? I'm still deciding between two schools and I'm not quite sure where I will go right now. So I don't know who should fill this form from me.

Guys i have a question about the academic verification form. For those who are incoming M1 how did you fill this form? Did you have your anticipated medical school fill it out? I'm still deciding between two schools and I'm not quite sure where I will go right now. So I don't know who should fill this form from me.

I sent it to my last institution, so my undergrad.

You have to be unconditionally accepted to a medical school and you have to put a contact down from the school who fills out the academic verification. They have to list each class and the associated costs and fees for each semester. So it’ll include all 4 years of medical school with the respective semesters costs.

Reactions: 2 users