VA HPSP (Physician)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
You have to be unconditionally accepted to a medical school and you have to put a contact down from the school who fills out the academic verification. They have to list each class and the associated costs and fees for each semester. So it’ll include all 4 years of medical school with the respective semesters costs.
so basically you can't apply until you've officially decided what school you're going to, and you have to wait until all your waitlist decisions are made?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
so basically you can't apply until you've officially decided what school you're going to, and you have to wait until all your waitlist decisions are made?

No, you can switch like @PhD_to_DO did. But when you send your academic verification, it must be to a medical school that you’ve been unconditionally accepted to. I sent mine to the financial aid department and they took care of it quickly at my school.

I also initially misunderstood the form and sent it to my undergrad institution. I only realized I screwed up when they emailed and said they couldn’t answer a couple of questions. When I emailed Scott Dixon about it, he responded that I had sent it to the wrong school so I had to start over.

Reactions: 1 users
Wait and you got the scholarship? how would they know how many courses you will be taking in med school?

My bad, I meant my med school’s associate dean filled out their portion with the costs, but my adviser filled out one of the LoRs!

Members don't see this ad :)
My bad, I meant my med school’s associate dean filled out their portion with the costs, but my adviser filled out one of the LoRs!
that kind of brings up another uncertainty I had.. what exactly qualifies as "faculty"? obviously there areprofessors, and you used your advisor... I'm wondering if a university post-doc student who was my lab mentor would count

that kind of brings up another uncertainty I had.. what exactly qualifies as "faculty"? obviously there areprofessors, and you used your advisor... I'm wondering if a university post-doc student who was my lab mentor would count

I’d imagine the committee would have no qualms answering your question!

I have been put on "Alternate List". Does anyone know what does it mean? Is it more like a Rejection? I would appreciate some input.

I just received and accepted my Tentative Scholarship!!! I am so excited!! From what I have read there will be a background check? Can anyone who has fully completed their scholarship give me an idea of what happens next? Please and thank you!

• Care
I have been put on "Alternate List". Does anyone know what does it mean? Is it more like a Rejection? I would appreciate some input.
I believe I was put on alternate last year because I applied late and then I ended up getting 4-year scholarship

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
I believe I was put on alternate last year because I applied late and then I ended up getting 4-year scholarship
This gives me so much hope. Thank you so much for taking time out and replying. I applied earlier but still put on Alternate list. When did they inform you about your acceptance?

Offered scholarship today! Was in “pending offer” for 7 days. Time from submission to offer was 21 days.

Edit: also, before anyone asks: not a veteran. First year student. US med school. Typical stats.

Last edited:
  • Love
just curious do you happen to remember when you applied last year?

No worries! I believe I submitted early June and then got alternate email June 17. I ended up getting accepted in early August. It was very confusing. I actually got emails about paperwork required for stipends or something like that before they actually informed me I did indeed get the scholarship. Classic government bureaucracy stuff hahah

Hey guys, i usually don't post on sdn but I monitored this chat a lot so I figured I would share. I submitted my initial application on 03/04 and was awarded the scholarship Tuesday of this week! I am not prior military, but my grandfather is a disable veteran and I spoke about him in my essays. My stats were a 3.5 GPA and I am a currently a first year medical student at an allopathic school.

• Love
Members don't see this ad :)
For those of you who have been awarded the scholarship, what kind of information did they provide you after you were accepted? Are there any restrictions on residency? If you do your residency at a VA hospital can it count towards time owed? Also, are there any VA obligations throughout medical school (summer months)?
The only specialty we can't go into as far as I know is pediatrics. But we can do it anywhere. There are no VA requirements during medical school either, but they do highly encourage that you try to do at least one rotation at a VA facility. I'm not sure about the VA hospital residency question though.

Does anyone know how fellowships work? Can I do that before my service commitment or will I have to wait until after (I'll owe three years). Not a huge deal either way, but some of the specialties im interested typically all go through a fellowship post residency.

Just for stat purposes also, I'm a rising third year osteopathic medical student. I applied late february and got an acceptance the last week of march. I am not a veteran, but my great grandfather was a WW2 vet which is why I pursued this scholarship. And if anyone is worried about the COA being a deterrent I pay >70k a year for my tuition and was selected.

Does anyone know how fellowships work? Can I do that before my service commitment or will I have to wait until after (I'll owe three years). Not a huge deal either way, but some of the specialties im interested typically all go through a fellowship post residency.

Just for stat purposes also, I'm a rising third year osteopathic medical student. I applied late february and got an acceptance the last week of march. I am not a veteran, but my great grandfather was a WW2 vet which is why I pursued this scholarship. And if anyone is worried about the COA being a deterrent I pay >70k a year for my tuition and was selected.
ive also been wondering about how fellowships work, but I haven't found much info on it

I was awarded the scholarship last Thursday as well after submitting 3/17. I think they review and award scholarships only every so often so the turnaround time has some variability, unlike med school applications where there is a known day-to-day turnaround time.

Once awarded, you must tentatively accept the offer within 3 days and submit info for a background check. You also must get fingerprinted at a VA approved facility. I assume there will also be a drug test but I haven’t gotten any info on that yet. You guys who got awarded the scholarship early, if/when did you get drug tested?

I was told you can do any fellowship, but they said the more subspecialized you are, the more likely you will need to be placed near a larger city b/c not enough need in less densely populated areas. And I never got drug tested for VA scholarship. Just had to do one for my medical school

I was awarded the scholarship last Thursday as well after submitting 3/17. I think they review and award scholarships only every so often so the turnaround time has some variability, unlike med school applications where there is a known day-to-day turnaround time.

Once awarded, you must tentatively accept the offer within 3 days and submit info for a background check. You also must get fingerprinted at a VA approved facility. I assume there will also be a drug test but I haven’t gotten any info on that yet. You guys who got awarded the scholarship early, if/when did you get drug tested?

Talked to them today and there is no drug test!

Finger printing must be done before they’ll disperse funds.

My portal says that my application packet has been accepted, and it hasn't changed in over 2 weeks. Anyone in the same boat/has anyone heard anything recently?

My portal says that my application packet has been accepted, and it hasn't changed in over 2 weeks. Anyone in the same boat/has anyone heard anything recently?
I also submitted approximately 2 weeks ago and my status changed to application packet scored today. Not sure when the next status update is supposed to be after this

I also submitted approximately 2 weeks ago and my status changed to application packet scored today. Not sure when the next status update is supposed to be after this
I just checked and it says that it was scored. Let's hope for the best!

I just checked and it says that it was scored. Let's hope for the best!
I submitted about a week ago and haven't seen it show up as scored yet! Wasn't really expecting it to so soon but figured I would provide another perspective.

No! Not since Friday when I saw that my packet was scored. I am horribly anxious and hoping to get a decision before this Aprtil 30th deadline for Plan to Enroll!
I have been checking my portal every 5 min. I'm super anxious

• Haha
same here :rofl: :rofl:.... Based on others, I'm sure we'll know by the end of this week.
I couldn't handle it anymore! So I just emailed Scott Dixon asking when I could expect a decision 😫😫😫 I'll let you guys know what he says!

• Haha
feeling the FOMO so much. waiting for references to complete their forms still 😞

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
Yup he said hopfully by the end of the week! Nothing we didn't already guess but it's nice to have it confirmed. Getting this scholarship literally determines the school I go to. My top choice offered me 91k in pure unadulterated loans and I don't think I can stomach that🤢🤮. I would just stay in-state where I have a full-ride, but I'm not crazy about the school.

Last edited:
YA'LL we bout to go to school for FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
offer pending!!! let goooooo guysss!!!!

I have officially accepted and signed the background check documents. LET'S GOOO!! Good luck to those on the alternate list and those still waiting to hear back.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Does anyone know how long it takes for the background check to clear and you receive the final award offer?

Does anyone know how long it takes for the background check to clear and you receive the final award offer?
This might not be super helpful, but I am active Army Reserve and they were able to transfer my background check over from the DoD, so all I had to do was get fingerprinted at my local VA and I just got my final award offer.

My background check took a week or so but I applied early in the cycle and got thru the process before the workload for the folks who process the background checks got too busy.

I also got my final award this morning! Super excited for this opportunity.