VA vs. Non-VA residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fearfulpharm

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I have been hearing a lot of talks from my peers about doing PGY1 in a VA hospital. From what I know, the motive is that it is the only way to get a job in the VA, and the VA has great benefits (even though I do not really know how "great" it is). I just list here a couple things that I know or want to know about the VA, and I hope for more information from you:

1) If my motive is to have a secured job (if there is such a thing), then is there a difference between doing a VA vs. a non-VA residency? After all, even with a VA residency, you are not guaranteed a job at that VA either, and from what I know you have to be really lucky if any position opens up at the VA?

2) I knows VA pharmacists have prescribing power. How does it make the job less or more stressful than being a clinical pharmacist/staff pharmacist at a regular hospital?

3) How is a residency at the VA different than a residency at another hospital? I am not shy from hard work, but I am not above feeling intimidated by the work load, after all there is only a certain amount of time for me to get those projects done...

I don't know how much the VA pays (if the planets align, and I do get a residency in the VA, and I do get a job in the VA), but I feel so guilty because I want a secured job and do not want to die before my 30th birthday due to a stress-induced cerebral hemorrhage. People tell me I shouldn't picked pharmacy as a career in the first place, but I guess it is way too late... Oh well...

Members don't see this ad.

You can search for salary information on the VA website where they have all their career postings. It looks like staff pharmacists start out at 90-95k (depending on area) and clinical at over 100k. The "secure" thing about the
VA is that it's the largest health system in the country, with you being able to apply to any VA in the country. You're not guaranteed to have a job at any VA you want, but you will probably get a job at a VA somewhere.
And it seems like a VA residency is usually more focused on ambulatory care than non-VA (though there are other non-VA residencies popping up, mainly in the South, focused on am. care). From what I've seen, staffing requirements are really not as bad as in some of your large teaching hospitals, but I am just a P2, so I'm not sure.