Vacation time with internship/residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

walkoffhr

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it the standard 30 days, or is it something else? Thanks....

Members don't see this ad.

Nope. Interns get 14 days. Residents 21-28. You will have plenty of leave in the bank when you finish.

14 days for internship. After that its program specific(never more than 30days)...for example, I know of a surgery program that highly frowns on taking more than 2 weeks each year during residency.

Members don't see this ad :)
sorry for the tangent here but a quick basic question. Does the military use combined sick/vacation time for your leave (PTO)? Or are they separate (sick days in addition to vacation days)?

fair enough. kick the new guy from an office job in the shins for ignorance. I still think it's a fair question though - what do you do if youre scheduled for a day of surgery and cant stop sneezing/vomiting/voiding? cover clinic/office stuff while someone else covers your cases or reschedule? you can't tell me that doctors dont get ill. and i'll assume the answer is that any day you take off comes from leave.

Last edited:
(portions deleted...bad info.)

But yes, the practical application of vacation and sick time during residency is somewhat different from your typical desk job. Your team will cover for you (hopefully because they like you, but at the very least because they *have* to), but there'd better be a good reason why you can't come in.

Last edited:
the military in general does not have "sick days" like the civilian world. if you are ill, the book answer is:
1. you present to sick call
2. you are evaluated by a medical "professional" (I use that term loosely)
3. you receive a "sick in quarters" chit (if you are truly sick)
4. you present said chit to your command
5. your command authorizes you to go home and be sick. (without authorization, a soldier/sailor/marine/airman/coastie cannot be sick. period. end of story. your intractable vomiting is an illusion of your mind)

This is what happens to most of the junior enlisted, although if you are a little more senior many commands authorize a call-in "24 hour SIQ", and you have to come in and be evaluated if you need more than that.

In a hospital, while the sick call structure still exists, physicians typically just notify their immediate supervisor of said illness, as well as the plans they have made to cover all their clinical duties. That second part usually precludes the physician from staying home sick, because it is easier to come to work and feel like crap (and infect everyone else) than to arrange coverage for your clinical duties. Although if you are very sick (think appendicitis) your department will scramble to cover for you.

But short answer: while you are sick, you are not charged leave. two separate things in the military.

the military in general does not have "sick days" like the civilian world. if you are ill, the book answer is:
1. you present to sick call
2. you are evaluated by a medical "professional" (I use that term loosely)
3. you receive a "sick in quarters" chit (if you are truly sick)
4. you present said chit to your command
5. your command authorizes you to go home and be sick. (without authorization, a soldier/sailor/marine/airman/coastie cannot be sick. period. end of story. your intractable vomiting is an illusion of your mind)

This is what happens to most of the junior enlisted, although if you are a little more senior many commands authorize a call-in "24 hour SIQ", and you have to come in and be evaluated if you need more than that.

In a hospital, while the sick call structure still exists, physicians typically just notify their immediate supervisor of said illness, as well as the plans they have made to cover all their clinical duties. That second part usually precludes the physician from staying home sick, because it is easier to come to work and feel like crap (and infect everyone else) than to arrange coverage for your clinical duties. Although if you are very sick (think appendicitis) your department will scramble to cover for you.

But short answer: while you are sick, you are not charged leave. two separate things in the military.

Well said!

thanks deegs. that info is.....wait for it.....just what the doctor ordered.........

i'll be here all week, folks.