This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Vokounfan

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
New thread for the VCOM/Bluefield post bacc program!

Members don't see this ad.

Here is the thread for last year's post-bacc with lots of good information that I highly recommend reading through. I am a current post-bacc and can answer questions as well.

2017 Post Bacc Vcom

I am so happy this thread was made :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Only applying through PostBacCas. I've been trying to find out if they accept Letter submissions from Interfolio but I haven't had any luck
From my understanding, whenever you enter their information on your application, PostBacCas sends an email after you save their information.

Interfolio keeps emailing me to say there is an error, cannot complete confidential letter upload.

Interfolio keeps emailing me to say there is an error, cannot complete confidential letter upload.
If you are using PostBacCas to apply, you don't need to worry about Interfolio. The application service takes care of that for you. If you are transferring your application then your letter should already be included from what I gather.

A little confused with the website. Is the Bluefield College program the Graduate Certificate Program??

A little confused with the website. Is the Bluefield College program the Graduate Certificate Program??

Yep but it's now an MA. The classes are the same.

Reactions: 1 user
Okay, so since Bluefield college is not handling this does this mean that I cannot use my VCOM application from AACOMAS to apply? The postbaccas application service is $130 to submit. BRUH. I CANNOT.

Okay, so since Bluefield college is not handling this does this mean that I cannot use my VCOM application from AACOMAS to apply? The postbaccas application service is $130 to submit. BRUH. I CANNOT.

You should email them because it literally just changed and people aren't sure. Also $130 to get the opportunity to become a physician will be a drop in the bucket.

Members don't see this ad :)
I can barely eat. $130 is a lot. But no, I just called them. Talked to Lisa, she says I would still be able to transfer my application! :)

Reactions: 4 users
If you are using PostBacCas to apply, you don't need to worry about Interfolio. The application service takes care of that for you. If you are transferring your application then your letter should already be included from what I gather.

Unfortunately, all of my LOR's are stored on Interfolio, so if there isn't a way to send them then I have no LOR's.

Unfortunately, all of my LOR's are stored on Interfolio, so if there isn't a way to send them then I have no LOR's.

I would be surprised if there wasn't a way. I used Interfolio to send my letters last year and sent them straight to the school. I would email and ask if it's not clear on the website.

Hello everyone, I'm excited about this program.

I can barely eat. $130 is a lot. But no, I just called them. Talked to Lisa, she says I would still be able to transfer my application! :)

@mabemo Did Lisa say if you had to withdraw your med school application before actually transferring it into this program?

I believe it was this way last year. You had to at least be waitlisted I think? I'm not sure as I didn't apply to VCOM first.

You had to at least apply to VCOM and not get an II. Then you would forward that email about not getting the II to the postbacc people to begin the transfer from AACOMAS to the postbacc.

Hope you're doing well :)

Reactions: 2 users
@mabemo Did Lisa say if you had to withdraw your med school application before actually transferring it into this
@mabemo Did Lisa say if you had to withdraw your med school application before actually transferring it into this program?
You had to withdraw your application before you can transfer your application over. If you do not think you will get into the med program I would just withdraw my application to make sure I get into this program early. The admissions team will be up front with you with where u stand at a chance of matriculation

whats everyone's stats thats applyign?

As long as you’re above the minimum listed GPA you have a shot of getting in. MCAT isn’t required to get in but you’d have to take it at some point if you haven’t. Connection to the area or having a rural connection is more important.

whats everyone's stats thats applyign?
sGPA:3.03
cGPA:3.41
*Upward trend on both
MCAT: April 2018
Research and publication/Presentation (program evaluation and Parachute device study)
Currently a monitor tech and have almost 2 years of direct patient care.
About 100 hours of shadowing (20+ in the field I want to go into)
Bunch of extracurricular activities (including founding a Native American Featival on campus).
My hope is to work on a reservation!

3.11 overall
3.2 science
Shadowing, volunteering, medical mission trip, other extracurricular activities
MCAT March 2018

sGPA:3.03
cGPA:3.41
*Upward trend on both
MCAT: April 2018
Research and publication/Presentation (program evaluation and Parachute device study)
Currently a monitor tech and have almost 2 years of direct patient care.
About 100 hours of shadowing (20+ in the field I want to go into)
Bunch of extracurricular activities (including founding a Native American Featival on campus).
My hope is to work on a reservation!

You probably don't need this MA program. A couple science classes and a 505 MCAT would make you competitive with the ECs you currently have.

does this program have any success with MD schools? I do know they are strong amongst DO schools

does this program have any success with MD schools? I do know they are strong amongst DO schools

I have heard of some people applying to MD but they're pretty far and few in between as far as I know. Most don't have a GPA history or MCAT to be competitive (hence the point of this program).

cGPA: 3.14
sGPA: 3.44
Upward Trend
+250 shadowing
+100 volunteer hours at nursing home and a physical activity program for kids with special needs
3 years working as an EMT
Also an EMT preceptor for new hires
MCAT April 2018

I didn't see a spot for adding volunteer/shadow/experience hours when applying, did I miss something?

cGPA: 3.14
sGPA: 3.44
Upward Trend
+250 shadowing
+100 volunteer hours at nursing home and a physical activity program for kids with special needs
3 years working as an EMT
Also an EMT preceptor for new hires
MCAT April 2018

I didn't see a spot for adding volunteer/shadow/experience hours when applying, did I miss something?
To add these, you select experiences then you can add volunteer, shadow, etc.

Ok thanks. Did you add the amount of hours in the description box?
I let the dates speak for themselves but if you feel you should, then add it in the description box.

when is it considered late to apply to this

Some people applied crazy late and still got in, but I absolutely wouldn’t risk it since it has exploded in popularity. Each day you wait minimizes your chances and it’s first come first serve.

For the science gpa, is it based on AAOMCAS or hard science classes gpa? Because my science gpa would completely change :bigtears:

For the science gpa, is it based on AAOMCAS or hard science classes gpa? Because my science gpa would completely change :bigtears:

I believe before they used to calculate GPA based on how AACOMAS does, but I'm not 100% sure.

Even though the PostBaccas application states 2.9 minimum cGPA, they are actually going to a 3.0 cGPA minimum as stated on the website. Just confirmed.

I haven't scrolled through to see if this has been answered yet, but just in case:
For Interfolio, you would go to Deliveries and you would type in something like "Edward Via College..." and something similar to the following should pop up in your search results : "Edward Via Virginia College of Osteopathic Medicine 2017-2018 VCOM Graduate Certificate Program (Formerly Post-Baccalaureate Program)"

It might be slightly different now that Bluefield is part of this, but that's where you send your letters.

I haven't scrolled through to see if this has been answered yet, but just in case:
For Interfolio, you would go to Deliveries and you would type in something like "Edward Via College..." and something similar to the following should pop up in your search results : "Edward Via Virginia College of Osteopathic Medicine 2017-2018 VCOM Graduate Certificate Program (Formerly Post-Baccalaureate Program)"

It might be slightly different now that Bluefield is part of this, but that's where you send your letters.

Thanks for the response but letters have to go through Postbaccas now, and they aren't compatible with Interfolio.

did anybody receive a confirmation email after submitting from the school itself, not the postbaccas?

did anybody receive a confirmation email after submitting from the school itself, not the postbaccas?
As in after you got your application transferred? I got mine transferred but I called them to make sure. I left a VM and someone called me back the next day and confirmed. That's about it.

do you guys think this program is worth a shot with a 2.8 sgpa and 3.4 cgpa?

do you guys think this program is worth a shot with a 2.8 sgpa and 3.4 cgpa?

Is there any way you can get the sGPA over 3.0? Their program has exploded in popularity since the AACOMAS changes and it'll be tough to convince them to give it a review w/o meeting the baseline requirements.

@kelminak do you have any idea when one should expect to hear back after submitting? two weeks? two months?

@kelminak do you have any idea when one should expect to hear back after submitting? two weeks? two months?

Now that they're using postbaccas, it should speed up the process a lot. The people that used AACOMAS and transferred over got a decision within a couple weeks. I'd say after everything is verified, etc, it shouldn't be more than a couple weeks, but it's hard to tell how much more they're swamped due to the surge in popularity.

Now that they're using postbaccas, it should speed up the process a lot. The people that used AACOMAS and transferred over got a decision within a couple weeks. I'd say after everything is verified, etc, it shouldn't be more than a couple weeks, but it's hard to tell how much more they're swamped due to the surge in popularity.
ok cause i asked them to transfer my DO school app but they said theyd get back to me and never did so i went ahead and just submitted a postbacccas application anyway. Should i just call and find out what the deal is? If so do you know if they have resumed class and are in to call and what the number is, not sure if i should call vcom or bluefield.