This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone have a suggestion for housing in Blacksburg? I have called around and everywhere is booked out into the next 2 years

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone have a suggestion for housing in Blacksburg? I have called around and everywhere is booked out into the next 2 years

Have you thought about branching out to the surrounding areas? Namely Christiansburg but there is also Radford, etc? From most places in Cburg, the drive would not be much more than from Bburg ~about 10 minutes. Radford and other areas you are looking at least a 20-35 minute drive I would think. Rent is far cheaper the farther you are from Bburg too.

Christiansburg is great because you’re close to a lot of different things and the highway to campus is easily accessible.

Hey guys, recently just got accepted. Anyone looking for a male roommate?
PM me. I have a 2 bedroom apartment in Blacksburg for the MABS program. I'm looking for a male roommate to help split the costs

I have a 2 bedroom apartment in Blacksburg for the MABS program. I am looking for a male roommate to help split costs

where did everyone send their paperwork like immunizations, proof of health insurance, and final transcripts too. I didnt see an email or physical address to send it to. I emailed sheila my immunizations paper as i am still waiting for the results of one of the tests and i know it was due the other day but wasnt sure where it is supposed to go officially

Heyo, all paperwork can be sent to the following address:

Bluefield College/VCOM
Master of Arts, Biomedical Sciences
1691 Innovation Dr
Suite 1100
Blacksburg, VA 24060

The health and immunization forms aren't due until July 16th, so you still have plenty of time to get them sorted out! Transcripts are due by June 29th, and the proof of health insurance is due by July 2nd.
thanks but my paper says june 16th for immunization forms

For those still looking for housing, you could try joining the "Virginia Tech (VT) Housing sublets & roommates" page. There are people searching for roommates in Blacksburg as well as others trying to pass off leases that they can no longer fulfill for places in Blacksburg.

check the website for accurate dates, they changed the dates things are due.
Ya I spoke with Sheila she said the dates that the other person posted are correct. They were moved back.

Members don't see this ad :)
Should I assume that I got rejected if I haven't heard anything by now. Verified 04/02.
I emailed Sheila two weeks ago and she said that my app is being reviewed and I should hear back in a week which was last week, but nothing yet.

Should I assume that I got rejected if I haven't heard anything by now. Verified 04/02.
I emailed Sheila two weeks ago and she said that my app is being reviewed and I should hear back in a week which was last week, but nothing yet.

Not hearing something means there is still a chance. If you want to feel at ease, you can try emailing again. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
I was waitlisted for the VCOM DO program. However, since there has been literally no movement on the waitlist, I have been offered automatic acceptance into the MABS program, which I will be taking full advantage of. Does anyone have any housing recommendations?

This may be a foolish question, but...are classes held at Innovation Drive, or VCOM off of Kraft Dr? (...or somewhere else entirely?)

Since the program is starting soon and I don't hear anything back from Sheila until now.... should I just take it as a rejection?

Congrats to all of you who got accepted.

Since the program is starting soon and I don't hear anything back from Sheila until now.... should I just take it as a rejection?

Congrats to all of you who got accepted.

I know of people accepted the week before the program started. It's not a rejection until it's official.

I recently completed this program and will be going to VCOM-Carolinas starting in a month!

The program is tough and the hours will kill you, but it's all doable, especially if you are like myself, and view this as your final chance to become a doctor.

Message for details.

I recently completed this program and will be going to VCOM-Carolinas starting in a month!

The program is tough and the hours will kill you, but it's all doable, especially if you are like myself, and view this as your final chance to become a doctor.

Message for details.
What specifically made the program so difficult for you? Also, what are some tips you are willing to provide to help us be successful?

What specifically made the program so difficult for you? Also, what are some tips you are willing to provide to help us be successful?
I was going to ask the same questions you’re asking, what made it hard for the student?

So, I think the program is difficult, not in the idea that the program is trying to outmart you, but the work you need to put in. The time you need to devote to studying after class hours is the most challenging from my point of the view. The material is tough but the teachers (that I had) wanted to you do well - again, the amt of time to master everything and get esentially B+'s and A's on all exams is the tough part.

Keep in mind this program is set up to see which indv's will be able to cut it in thier rigorous block programs. VCOM is more into GPA than MCAT's.

Tips: ROUTINE
Find a routine that works for you, then stick to it for 8 months with days here and there for total rest days...

8-12 class
12-2 lunch/chill
2-8 grind
8-9 dinner/chill
9-11 grind
11-12 chill
12 sleep

I repeated this every signle day for the entire program
Some days when tests weren't around I would take full days off, maybe even go out and party.

PM for more personal details. Cheers and good luck!

So, I think the program is difficult, not in the idea that the program is trying to outmart you, but the work you need to put in. The time you need to devote to studying after class hours is the most challenging from my point of the view. The material is tough but the teachers (that I had) wanted to you do well - again, the amt of time to master everything and get esentially B+'s and A's on all exams is the tough part.

Keep in mind this program is set up to see which indv's will be able to cut it in thier rigorous block programs. VCOM is more into GPA than MCAT's.

Tips: ROUTINE
Find a routine that works for you, then stick to it for 8 months with days here and there for total rest days...

8-12 class
12-2 lunch/chill
2-8 grind
8-9 dinner/chill
9-11 grind
11-12 chill
12 sleep

I repeated this every signle day for the entire program
Some days when tests weren't around I would take full days off, maybe even go out and party.

PM for more personal details. Cheers and good luck!

Hey Carolinas fam!

Also note that everyone's schedule will look different. I certainly didn't study this hard throughout the week, but tremendously hard the day before a test (up until 2, up again at 5-6). It's definitely about finding what works best for you. I keep meaning to post the thing I've sent to people in PMs, so let me post my studying info too:

"I used the program Anki and it was the best decision ever. At the beginning of the year, they give you a recommended study guide. I followed it completely. I would sit in the back of class and convert each Powerpoint into an Anki deck for that lecture hour. When I was done with that, I would follow the study guide and study the recommended decks each day. The day before a test, I would go through every deck for the test a second time. The morning of the test I would wake up at 5 am (ugh) and study every deck again.

I would also make "bonus decks" for a test (e.g. Physiology Exam 3 Bonus Deck) which would be a compilation of other relevant resources such as all of the information that was in the pre-exam reviews, etc. and study that the day before and the morning of as well.

Using this method, I've never had more free time in my life than in this program. It was difficult, but you'll find studying smarter vs. harder really works and you can have way more free time than your peers that listen to the lecturers. I don't have anything against them, but passive learning through listening is just extremely ineffective.

When I say I "converted a lecture into an Anki deck", I mean I would go through each piece of information and figure out how to turn it into a question --> answer flashcard. If a slide said that a Vitamin B12 deficiency caused macrocytic anemia, I would make a flashcard that said "Which does a vitamin B12 deficiency cause (disease)?" and then do that for all of the information in the Powerpoints. Decks would range between 30-100 flash cards depending on how much information there was. Some classes were very light (nutrition) while others had a tremendous amount of information (immunology). Regardless of this, I would just power through and make sure all the decks were created for the lectures we had that day and then took as long as I needed to in order to get through the relevant decks that needed to be studied that day.

Also, if you do choose my method, I strongly recommend buying the $25 Anki app for iPhones if you have one or using the unofficial one for Android. I did almost all of my studying on my phone so that I wasn't distracted by my computer and I could study anywhere. I've studied at the dentist and other weird places where a 20 minute wait would normally be a waste of time and instead was useful studying.

I might have rambled a little, but hopefully this makes sense. Let me know if you have any questions.
"

Reactions: 5 users
Refer to above post - cheers
Hey Carolinas fam!

Also note that everyone's schedule will look different. I certainly didn't study this hard throughout the week, but tremendously hard the day before a test (up until 2, up again at 5-6). It's definitely about finding what works best for you. I keep meaning to post the thing I've sent to people in PMs, so let me post my studying info too:

"I used the program Anki and it was the best decision ever. At the beginning of the year, they give you a recommended study guide. I followed it completely. I would sit in the back of class and convert each Powerpoint into an Anki deck for that lecture hour. When I was done with that, I would follow the study guide and study the recommended decks each day. The day before a test, I would go through every deck for the test a second time. The morning of the test I would wake up at 5 am (ugh) and study every deck again.

I would also make "bonus decks" for a test (e.g. Physiology Exam 3 Bonus Deck) which would be a compilation of other relevant resources such as all of the information that was in the pre-exam reviews, etc. and study that the day before and the morning of as well.

Using this method, I've never had more free time in my life than in this program. It was difficult, but you'll find studying smarter vs. harder really works and you can have way more free time than your peers that listen to the lecturers. I don't have anything against them, but passive learning through listening is just extremely ineffective.

When I say I "converted a lecture into an Anki deck", I mean I would go through each piece of information and figure out how to turn it into a question --> answer flashcard. If a slide said that a Vitamin B12 deficiency caused macrocytic anemia, I would make a flashcard that said "Which does a vitamin B12 deficiency cause (disease)?" and then do that for all of the information in the Powerpoints. Decks would range between 30-100 flash cards depending on how much information there was. Some classes were very light (nutrition) while others had a tremendous amount of information (immunology). Regardless of this, I would just power through and make sure all the decks were created for the lectures we had that day and then took as long as I needed to in order to get through the relevant decks that needed to be studied that day.

Also, if you do choose my method, I strongly recommend buying the $25 Anki app for iPhones if you have one or using the unofficial one for Android. I did almost all of my studying on my phone so that I wasn't distracted by my computer and I could study anywhere. I've studied at the dentist and other weird places where a 20 minute wait would normally be a waste of time and instead was useful studying.

I might have rambled a little, but hopefully this makes sense. Let me know if you have any questions.
"
How do the teachers ask questions for tests? Are they straightforward or asked in a roundabout way? Also, are there old tests we can look at to get an Idea of what the focus of each teacher would be.

How do the teachers ask questions for tests? Are they straightforward or asked in a roundabout way? Also, are there old tests we can look at to get an Idea of what the focus of each teacher would be.

They're usually paragraph questions where you have to pull the information out of it, so not exactly straightforward. And definitely don't ask for previous tests. There was a big issue with that this year.

Reactions: 1 user
They're usually paragraph questions where you have to pull the information out of it, so not exactly straightforward. And definitely don't ask for previous tests. There was a big issue with that this year.
Oh okay, that makes sense. I'm understanding the culture of the school a little bit better. Some schools don't mind providing old tests. How would you rate the paragraph questions? Are they convoluted like the MCAT or will just make sense if you study efficiently?

Oh okay, that makes sense. I'm understanding the culture of the school a little bit better. Some schools don't mind providing old tests. How would you rate the paragraph questions? Are they convoluted like the MCAT or will just make sense if you study efficiently?

They're fair lol. No one trying to trick you. :)

Loosely defined as straight forward from lectures/ppts with some higher yield Q's
As for old tests... I would stray away from that, unless directly told by teachers to use old material

For those accepted or previously in the program, when should we expect to be awarded our money from financial aid?

For those accepted or previously in the program, when should we expect to be awarded our money from financial aid?

We didn't get the same loans so we can't say.

Silly question for the people who have already completed the program. Were you provided the PowerPoints before the lecture class or not until the day of?

Silly question for the people who have already completed the program. Were you provided the PowerPoints before the lecture class or not until the day of?

Usually before. Some upload the whole semester in advance, some as they go.

Hey Carolinas fam!

"

I discovered Anki about 2 months ago and I seriously think it's all the difference. Huge rage it seems for board prep later as well. I will definitely be making it my most used resource. Evernote seems to be a good note taking platform as well, any thoughts?

WOW it really is insanely hard to find somewhere to live...if anyone knows of any secret 2 bedrooms places out there (Christiansburg included) send them my way! Hah

WOW it really is insanely hard to find somewhere to live...if anyone knows of any secret 2 bedrooms places out there (Christiansburg included) send them my way! Hah

At this point most of the leases that begin in June or July are taken. Your best bet is to find someone that already has a lease and join them...OR if you really want your own place, there are leases starting in August but you'll have to find some place to stay temporarily before that.

There's a VT housing facebook page that is really active. There's at least 5 people every day looking for a roommate or to have their room sublease.

Did anyone get an unexpected letter regarding their PreCheck profile results? I paid a fine years ago for driving with a headlight out and have thought nothing of it since. I have had many background checks since then, and it's never come up in any way. I had no idea the incident was classified as a "summary offense", until I received a letter from VCOM saying that I needed to explain the incident/why it wasn't listed on my application and also stated that my acceptance may be revoked. I am now waiting a response but I am kind of in disbelief that I might loose this opportunity over not mentioning that I drove with a headlight out (unbeknownst to me) years ago. It would just be nice to know if anyone else has had to do this and what the outcome was. I keep telling myself it will probably be fine but I'm feeling pretty anxious about the whole thing.

Did anyone get an unexpected letter regarding their PreCheck profile results? I paid a fine years ago for driving with a headlight out and have thought nothing of it since. I have had many background checks since then, and it's never come up in any way. I had no idea the incident was classified as a "summary offense", until I received a letter from VCOM saying that I needed to explain the incident/why it wasn't listed on my application and also stated that my acceptance may be revoked. I am now waiting a response but I am kind of in disbelief that I might loose this opportunity over not mentioning that I drove with a headlight out (unbeknownst to me) years ago. It would just be nice to know if anyone else has had to do this and what the outcome was. I keep telling myself it will probably be fine but I'm feeling pretty anxious about the whole thing.

Sorry to hear this. From your summary, it doesn't seem like enough for them to revoke you. It's a minor incident. I'm sure if you explain it, they would understand....and you all can laugh about it afterwards.

just explain the incidence and say you forgot. Im surprised something like that even showed up

At this point most of the leases that begin in June or July are taken. Your best bet is to find someone that already has a lease and join them...OR if you really want your own place, there are leases starting in August but you'll have to find some place to stay temporarily before that.

There's a VT housing facebook page that is really active. There's at least 5 people every day looking for a roommate or to have their room sublease.

We’re really trying to do 2 bedroom/our own place because my fiancé will be working remote from home...so hopefully something pops up