VCOM-Carolinas or PCOM-Georgia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

prone2xl

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just looking for some advice here-- got accepted to 3 schools that I really loved and am having trouble deciding which one I'd like to attend since I can't go to all 3 :( Really, this decision is killing me and it's so hard to know and everyone keeps saying the same thing "do what's best for you"> if I knew that I would have already decided :) so please please help me.

One school is VCOM-Carolinas campus - a branch of the Blacksburg campus that is going to have it's first class this Fall. Great town (Spartanburg, SC), the admissions people are great as well as the faculty i've met. The only thing I see is that it is going to be the first year for the class which could be a good thing, but also gives me a slight concern, ex: clinical rotations may be hard to firm up, no second year students to guide you).

The other school is PCOM-Georgia campus outside Atlanta in Suwanee. This school has been there for a few years and is backed by the main campus in Philadelphia which has been there over 100 yrs. One building with the Pharmacy school shared. This school kind of gave me the "warehouse" feel and I've also head that they may be having a name change which concerns me...but I'm loving the legacy and the location as well.

William Carey University (WCU) Hattiesburg, MS
first years class this year and I was impressed with the school and it's in my parent's home state. i liked the facilities and the people were very friendly. the area surrounding the school is a little bit shady, but could live further away... the dean situation concerns me, having just been dismissed, and the provisional accredidation...otherwise a good school in a state that really needs healthcare love.

just mainly looking for guidance to pick which school will best prepare me for the boards and to complete medical school., which curriculum model would be the best between both of these (I believe one uses a tri-mester system vs a block system vs. a discipline system), clinical opportunities, etc. thanks so much and again I know this is a good problem to have, but it's an important decision and a huge investment so I want to be fully informed. thanks so much!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Just looking for some advice here-- got accepted to 2 schools that I really loved and am having trouble deciding which one I'd like to attend since I can't go to both :(

One school is VCOM-Carolinas campus - a branch of the Blacksburg campus that is going to have it's first class this Fall. Great town (Spartanburg, SC), the admissions people are great as well as the faculty i've met. The only thing I see is that it is going to be the first year for the class which could be a good thing, but also gives me a slight concern, ex: clinical rotations may be hard to firm up, no second year students to guide you).

The other school is PCOM-Georgia campus outside Atlanta in Suwanee. This school has been there for a few years and is backed by the main campus in Philadelphia which has been there over 100 yrs. One building with the Pharmacy school shared.

just mainly looking for guidance to pick which school will best prepare me for the boards and to complete medical school., which curriculum model would be the best between both of these (I believe one uses a tri-mester system vs a block system), clinical opportunities, etc. thanks so much and again I know this is a good problem to have, but it's an important decision and a huge investment so I want to be fully informed. thanks so much!

You will have basically the same thing with VCOM-Carolinas as you would at Ga-PCOM. Both are branch schools of an established medical school and know how to prepare students to become good physicians. (Granted PCOM has a much longer history)

If you really liked both and I am detecting a lean toward VCOM-Carolinas, then the decision comes down to whether or not you want to be a "pioneer" or play it safe. Either decision is right and if you put in the necessary work, you will be prepared for what lies ahead. There will be only ONE inaugural class at any school. It takes a special mindset to be willing to blaze a trail for others.

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks for your input... I don't mind being a pioneer, just want to choose which school would have the best preparation for the boards, and that's my main concern... as well as the best opportunities in Clinical years 3 and 4.... based on those 2 things, which would give the best opportunity?

thanks!

thanks for your input... I don't mind being a pioneer, just want to choose which school would have the best preparation for the boards, and that's my main concern... as well as the best opportunities in Clinical years 3 and 4.... based on those 2 things, which would give the best opportunity?

thanks!

My suggestion is to check the board pass rate of both VCOM and Ga-PCOM. As for clinical rotations, I am sure you can find out about both from their websites

I kind of had the opposite situation as you...PCOM-PA or VCOM-VA. Ultimately I decided on VCOM-VA but a lot of that had to do with the location (loved the town of Blacksburg). As far as the schools facilities and quality of education they seemed pretty similar. PCOM is appealing because it is very well known, and even attending the school in GA you'd probably be in their network. As another responder stated though you'd be a "pioneer", and sometimes it takes a few years for schools to work out the kinks (although there shouldn't be near as many since they are modeling off a very successful school). Honestly, my advice is to really consider the location of each school (how far from home/loved ones, weather, rent costs, traffic congestion, etc).

don't know that I am going to be too much help since I will be applying to these schools NEXT year, BUT I did do some shadowing at Spartanburg Regional which is where VCOM-CC students will do the majority of their clinicals and was quite impressed with the facility. The docs that I met were really helpful to pre-med students and they seemed to really enjoy teaching. So if that carries over to the mediacal students, then I think it will be an awesome place to do clinicals. They have residency programs in General Surgery, Family Medicine, Psych, maybe a couple more...and at PCOM-GA the clinical rotations are spread out at different hospital in GA (I don't know specifics, but it could be a less than ideal situation). Just my 0.02

I'm currently at WCU-COM. Being a part of the inaugural class and a pioneer is definitely a cool experience, and I can't say enough about how much I'm enjoying the faculty and my classmates here. The area around the campus is a bit run down, but no one has had any problems or felt unsafe. The Dean situation,while unpleasant, is being addressed and I can honestly say that it has not affected our studies at all.

That said, my best advice would be to ask "Where did you feel most comfortable?" You are going to be spending most of your waking hours in whatever school you chose and all the tradition, home school support and great clinical sites are not worth much if you are uncomfortable, unhappy or underwhelmed during the first two years. I'd also bet that your board scores would reflect that too. Pick the school that felt like it could be a home for a few years.

Very static, ordered personalities will not like being in pioneer shoes! So, if you do chose VCOM-Spartanburg, make sure you are willing to endure some unexpected ups and downs during your time there. The rewards for putting up with the unexpected are well worth it in my opinion.

Good luck and feel free to send any questions about WCU you may have.

I have a sensitive (probably ridiculous and possibly offensive/ignorant) question to ask you: How conservative and religious is Blacksburg? I loved the school and area too and am ecstatic about my acceptance but was not able to get a good read on the social/political climate. I am essentially a slightly left-of-center moderate, non-religious Jew. Do you think there is a place for me there or will I be generally regarded as a pariah and have to live under a bridge? I know I must sound like a true California liberal idiot but I am completely unfamiliar with the south and unfortunately don't have much to go on. Will my moderately liberal mindset cause problems? Will I be ostracized because I think this country has more important things to worry about than gays marrying or joining the military? Or should I just keep my dirty hippyness out West with the rest of the shoeless clowns?