VCOM MABS 2020-2021

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Did they send you any information on FAFSA?
Yep! I just got it now actually. Just telling me that my financial aid information can't be provided right now until I submit FAFSA

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Did all of y’all who were accepted take the MCAT already? I’m just wondering if that’s why you heard back sooner about decisions

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congrats to everyone that has gotten in so far! If any females are looking for a roommate, please message me!

Members don't see this ad :)
Did all of y’all who were accepted take the MCAT already? I’m just wondering if that’s why you heard back sooner about decisions

I took the MCAT already and had my scores submitted. I couldn't say if this is why I've heard back already or not, but who knows

Are applicants at a big disadvantage if they apply without an MCAT?

Are applicants at a big disadvantage if they apply without an MCAT?

I applied without one and got in. I applied about a week before the deadline because I found out about the program late, and I got accepted by the end of May. I took my MCAT in June. So, I don't think so. Currently in my class we had probably about 25 who had not taken the MCAT prior to starting, with a few of them only taking their MCAT this January for the first time.

Hi everyone! I just got accepted. I applied on Dec 3, got the final review email Jan 8 and got accepted today, Feb 20. I am graduating from Clemson in May. Also looking for a roommate/place to live for next year for the program!

Wow, count me in.
If the landlord approves then I'd definitely be interested too haha

I wanted to let both you know that my landlord said he would definitely be open to letting future MABS students rent from them again. He will give me a rental link when the it gets closer to the end of this semester. Also, if a facebook page ever gets created, I will try to post photos on there of the apartment also.

Reactions: 2 users
i started a group on fb “VCOM MABS 2020-2021” that way it’s easier to communicate

Hi everyone! I just got accepted. I applied on Dec 3, got the final review email Jan 8 and got accepted today, Feb 20. I am graduating from Clemson in May. Also looking for a roommate/place to live for next year for the program!
Hey, I also just got my acceptance today and will be graduating from Clemson in May! I need a roommate too!
-Applied Jan. 13
-Final review Jan. 20
-Accepted Feb.20

Last edited:
I'm also a current MABS student who met fall benchmarks and was assigned to Auburn. Let me know if you have any questions. :)

I have a question! I am supposed to be in a wedding on August 9, which means Ill need to fly back August 10 (probably the 3rd monday after the program starts). How are they about missing a class for things like that? I am worried there could be an exam that day that I would miss or something but I can't exactly wait until it starts in July to tell my cousin whether or not I can be in her wedding.. any advice?

I have a question! I am supposed to be in a wedding on August 9, which means Ill need to fly back August 10 (probably the 3rd monday after the program starts). How are they about missing a class for things like that? I am worried there could be an exam that day that I would miss or something but I can't exactly wait until it starts in July to tell my cousin whether or not I can be in her wedding.. any advice?

I was in one wedding in August and another in September that I had to fly home for also. They are pretty understanding since the wedding was likely planned before you were accepted. When you start, talk to Dr Hill about the forms for missing class. If there is an exam that day, you will have to get the professor to sign off. Other classes Dr Hill can. They prefer 2 months notice, but obviously that is hard when you start in July and the wedding is in August so just let them know asap. It will go against the 20% of classes you can miss, but that's it. If there is an exam, you will simply have to either do it early or as soon as you get back.

Members don't see this ad :)
I tried to send my LORs through interfolio to PostBacCas but it didn’t go through... Do they accept any emailed LORs through interfolio? Did this happen to anyone else? I tried emailing about this, but I have not received a response :(

I tried to send my LORs through interfolio to PostBacCas but it didn’t go through... Do they accept any emailed LORs through interfolio? Did this happen to anyone else? I tried emailing about this, but I have not received a response :(
You can't send LORs from Interfolio to PostBacCas, unfortunately.

It's awkward asf, especially if you've asked before, but you're going to have to ask your letter writers to send them through the postbaccas link you're going to have to email to them.

Sent from my LM-V350 using Tapatalk

I submitted an app but I don’t have a letter of rec from an MD or DO. But I have one science professor and a supervisor, is that enough? also did you guys upload a resume?

Last edited:
I didn't have a letter from a physician and it didn't seem to make a difference. I would say maybe some decent clinical experience might help supplement that lack of a letter?

I submitted an app but I don’t have a letter of rec from an MD or DO. But I have one science professor and a supervisor, is that enough? also did you guys upload a resume?
Those two letters are enough, they only "prefer" if the letter from a supervisor/mentor is a MD or DO. I uploaded a resume because it included extra details that weren't on the application, so if your resume has additional things that can make you stand out or look better, I would upload it.

Thanks guys but it’s too late to upload the resume after it’s been submitted right?

Hey, Y'all! I am also looking for a female roommate. Please message me if interested.

I was in one wedding in August and another in September that I had to fly home for also. They are pretty understanding since the wedding was likely planned before you were accepted. When you start, talk to Dr Hill about the forms for missing class. If there is an exam that day, you will have to get the professor to sign off. Other classes Dr Hill can. They prefer 2 months notice, but obviously that is hard when you start in July and the wedding is in August so just let them know asap. It will go against the 20% of classes you can miss, but that's it. If there is an exam, you will simply have to either do it early or as soon as you get back.
Hey Nala, do you mind messaging me, please? I had some questions about the program.

Hey guys! I just got an email yesterday notifying me that I am under final review. I was wondering on average how long it took those who were already accepted to hear back for their final decision after they were under final review. I was complete and verified 2/5

Hey guys! I just got an email yesterday notifying me that I am under final review. I was wondering on average how long it took those who were already accepted to hear back for their final decision after they were under final review. I was complete and verified 2/5
I was completed and under review on 11/13/19, but didn't get accepted until 1/31/20. I think a lot of the others who were accepted have similar delays because bluefield was changing benchmarks at the time, and also managing acceptances of their current MABS students into VCOM. Hopefully you hear back within the next week or two!

Hey everyone, I recently applied to the program and was wondering if anyone knew of a hard cutoff for 3.0 GPA? My cumulative is fine but my science is sub 3.0. I'm URM and disadvantaged with over 2k hours of clinical experience and over 1000 of community service (I'm a tutor and piano teacher). I know the site mentioned no sub 3.0 acceptances but what are my chances :(

Hey everyone, I recently applied to the program and was wondering if anyone knew of a hard cutoff for 3.0 GPA? My cumulative is fine but my science is sub 3.0. I'm URM and disadvantaged with over 2k hours of clinical experience and over 1000 of community service (I'm a tutor and piano teacher). I know the site mentioned no sub 3.0 acceptances but what are my chances :(

I applied with a undergrad <3.0, but my grad GPA was >3.0. I initially received a rejection until I called and explained my application and credentials to them, at which time they recalculated my GPA and put me back under review for acceptance. I have 5+ yrs of direct pt contact experience, years of medical and nonmedical community service, and experience shadowing & working with MD, DOs, NPs & PAs. I also had a LOR from DO & NPs, but unless I had contacted them directly I would've remained "screened out". So apply, and if you get screened out just call them to make your case, and they may recalculate the GPA.

Sorry to ask this question is being verified the same as being under review. My app just says verified

Sorry to ask this question is being verified the same as being under review. My app just says verified

I believe verified means that your coursework that you have inputed matches your transcripts

I believe verified means that your coursework that you have inputed matches your transcripts

Thank you very much, was asking because I want to upload my resume. Thanks

I think that when you become verified they begin to process your application, screening it to make sure you reach the minimum requirements, then move you to final review.

I only got 2 confirmation emails. The first was whenever I became verified/complete and the second was when they notified me that my application was under final review.

I got 2 emails, 1 saying I was complete and 1 in final review before I was accepted. Took about 3 weeks for them to accept me after being in final review.

I think that when you become verified they begin to process your application, screening it to make sure you reach the minimum requirements, then move you to final review.

I only got 2 confirmation emails. The first was whenever I became verified/complete and the second was when they notified me that my application was under final review.
Oh alright thank you for answering my question

I got 2 emails, 1 saying I was complete and 1 in final review before I was accepted. Took about 3 weeks for them to accept me after being in final review.
Thank you so much for answering my question

I'll be giving up my seat in the program, hopefully that seat goes to one of you guys! Good luck everyone!

Reactions: 1 users
Hi everyone! I was just accepted to the program and I am looking for a female roommate(s). Please let me know if you are interested or know of anyone who might be!

Also here are my stats for people waiting to hear back
cGPA: 3.5
sGPA: 3.03
I have not taken the MCAT yet
Graduating from UVA with a BA in psychology
lots of extracurriculars, community service, and hospital experience

Good luck everyone!

Hi everyone! I was just accepted to the program and I am looking for a female roommate(s). Please let me know if you are interested or know of anyone who might be!

Good luck everyone!
Congrats! When where you accepted if you mind me asking?

Good luck everyone!

Hi Numa!

I’m also looking for a female roommate!

Does anyone know if there is a tour of where our classes will be? Also is there any recommendations on how to go about housing?

Does anyone know if there is a tour of where our classes will be? Also is there any recommendations on how to go about housing?

There is no tour. You will literally be in one large classroom at the Rackspace building. That's it. But if you move to town early you can stop by and say hi to the people in the offices and then can talk to you more. But really there is not much to our little space.

As for housing, look at places like Zillow, Apartments.com, Realtor.com, apartment complexes in the area. You also can join this FB page which a lot of VT students will post rooms or apartments. Virginia Tech (VT) - Housing, Sublets, and Roommates. Should you have facebook and join the page that someone on here created for your class, I will eventually be posting photos and a link to the place I live in when it gets closer to the end of semester and my landlord provides me with the link.

There is no tour. You will literally be in one large classroom at the Rackspace building. That's it. But if you move to town early you can stop by and say hi to the people in the offices and then can talk to you more. But really there is not much to our little space.

As for housing, look at places like Zillow, Apartments.com, Realtor.com, apartment complexes in the area. You also can join this FB page which a lot of VT students will post rooms or apartments. Virginia Tech (VT) - Housing, Sublets, and Roommates. Should you have facebook and join the page that someone on here created for your class, I will eventually be posting photos and a link to the place I live in when it gets closer to the end of semester and my landlord provides me with the link.
Awesome! You have been so helpful Nala thanks!

Reactions: 1 users
Hey guys! My app is all ready to submit, except that my academic LOR professor hasn't send in her letter yet, and I'm worried it could still be a few weeks. Kinda worried about having to submit it near to the deadline. Anyone know if spots are usually still open in April? My application is pretty solid, I'm just worried about there being no more spots :( Anyone here from a past year/ currently in the program who applied late?

Also: I'm a bit confused about if only 2 LOR's are accepted? I only see two spots on the application, but does another spot open once you've submitted both? Let me know, thanks guys :)

Hey guys! My app is all ready to submit, except that my academic LOR professor hasn't send in her letter yet, and I'm worried it could still be a few weeks. Kinda worried about having to submit it near to the deadline. Anyone know if spots are usually still open in April? My application is pretty solid, I'm just worried about there being no more spots :( Anyone here from a past year/ currently in the program who applied late?

Also: I'm a bit confused about if only 2 LOR's are accepted? I only see two spots on the application, but does another spot open once you've submitted both? Let me know, thanks guys :)

Plenty of people applied on the deadline and got into the program. My roommate was accepted 1 week prior to the program starting. And yes, once you have submitted both, then another spot should open. I think there is a max limit of maybe six on the application site though?

Little update for everyone here. Amidst the chaos of COVID-19, the rest of our semester will be online. Staff is working hard to get everything situated for us students, and may not be focused on responding to the questions of incoming students or applicants. For their sake, please don't worry too much. They will reach out to you all when they can. Stay safe!

Reactions: 4 users
Hey guys is it too late to apply here? And is it competitive to get in? Any inputs appreciated

Hey guys is it too late to apply here? And is it competitive to get in? Any inputs appreciated
I think the deadline is April 15th so you still have time! I recommend applying, I don't consider myself a competitive applicant based off my stats but I was thankfully accepted.

I think the deadline is April 15th so you still have time! I recommend applying, I don't consider myself a competitive applicant based off my stats but I was thankfully accepted.
Yes I'm gonna go ahead and apply. And hope for best. Congrats on getting accepted!

Just got my acceptance, I’m actually surprised to have gotten my acceptance in the middle of all this. This is a hard decision to make not sure if I’m gonna attend.

Last edited:
I received my acceptance this morning as well. Im looking for a female room!

Can someone who is in the program or know someone shed some light on how hard it is to meet the gpa requirement. People are trying to convince me that meeting the gpa requirement is made hard so not many students can achieve that.

Can someone who is in the program or know someone shed some light on how hard it is to meet the gpa requirement. People are trying to convince me that meeting the gpa requirement is made hard so not many students can achieve that.

Current student. I met the GPA requirement, as well as about 60 others in my class for the December benchmarks. I can tell you this. The program is not an easy in for med school. You will have to put in work. That being said, that is the entire point. To help prepare students for medical school curriculum and get them into med school, helping you learn how to perform well in classes and improve your studying. If you slack off, or decide to not put in 100%, then it might be hard to you to meet the GPA requirements. Plus, how well/quickly you learn, or your previous exposure to the subjects all factor in also. Needless to say, this program is hard, but it is not impossible. I think last year, there was about 90-110 of the ~125 that made it by May. Some students drop, some don't meet benchmarks, and some decide to do PA or pod school. One of my classmates made a great point during week one that stuck with me. It is only ~10 months of my life. If I give 100% and fail, I can say that at least I tried, because I would rather try and not succeed than slack off and fail, knowing I could have done better.

Reactions: 7 users