VCU Interview help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Realfan

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have an average GPA and DAT scores, and luckly got an interview from VCU for next month, I think just b/c I am a Virginian. Anyways I really need help to do well on the interview, please help me with your suggestions anything at all.

Good luck with your interviews

Members don't see this ad.

VCU is a nice school. The dentist that i shadowed is a graduate from their d-school. He thought that there are a few things that he was unprepared for when he left, but he learned on the job. Overall he loved his experience there. The dean of admissions, Dr. Brownstein, just retired (or so I've heard) and he was really nice. The interview is very laid back and the tour is thorough. The school is kinda old, but the people are helpful-you get to sit in with the 3rd and 4th years doing a case. One word of advice-Just don't eat anything served to you in the cafeteria. When I interviewed there, as I was getting a scoop of lasagne, the dude scooping dropped the spatula on the floor, picked it up, wiped it off on his apron, and proceeded to scoop the food and put it on my plate. NASTY!! Obviously, I lost my appetite...

Perc--

Thanks so much for your help fellows, anyone else with suggestions. I get really nervous about this kind of thing, i.e. panel interviews and what not. What happens if you can't come up with an answer on the spot?:(

Thanks again

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by Realfan
Thanks so much for your help fellows, anyone else with suggestions. I get really nervous about this kind of thing, i.e. panel interviews and what not. What happens if you can't come up with an answer on the spot?:(

Thanks again

You dont have to answer each question immediately. After they ask a question, take a few seconds to gather your thoughts. Dont rush an answer. Take your time, tell them, "Thats a good question". Think about it a bit before blurting the first thing that comes to mind. They know students get nervous, so dont worry about that part. They will be more impressed if you take your time and give a clear answer.

By average grades and dat, did you mean 3.7 gpa and 23? ;)
Thats what it feels like around here.

I have spent a good amount of time assisting and observing at the VCU clinics. I would have to say that the students and faculty seem helpful and friendly. I know the D3 and D4 students are especially friendly and willing to help you see and understand what they are doing.

One important aspect for interviewing is to prepare. Review the thread about interview questions and prepare yourself for those types of questions. The atmosphere of the interview is much dependent on the person interviewing you. I've heard that different professors have different methods they use to interview. Remember that whatever their method is, they are likely using it with all students they interview, so don't get flustered. All the professors I've interacted with thus far have been very nice though.

When is your interview? I have one next month also...

i recently graduated from VCU undergrad and am now at another dental school.

When i interviewed, i had a 4th year student interview me and 2 faculty interviews. The student interview was a blind interview, meaning they hadn't read my application. It was very laid back and you just give an overview of yourself, your interests and your motivations for dentistry. There will be one "tough" interview...something like "why should we accept you." or "what is the most negative aspect of dentistry?" and there'll be a "nicer interview" about your interests and application.

There's also an essay to write on the spot...something like "how do i think my undergraduate courses will help me in dental school."

The essay is nothing to worry about it. According to a friend who was also an interviewer last year, they just use it to see how you think under pressure, but it's not weighted heavily at all.

Also, they were really interested in my dental experiences and my psychomotor skills.

VCU seems to pride themselves on the clinical abilities of their graduates, so they tend to look for people who can convey that they have good hand skills,and a good PAT score doesn't hurt.

It's a very laid back program and the best thing to do is to stay comfortable and be yourself. if you don't know the answer to a question. say that you don't because they can tell when you're B/S-ing. but if they ask you something requiring thought, it'll mainly be the generic interview questions "why do you want to be a dentist, why VCU, etc"

a couple of other pointers that might help with the conversation....VCU set a world record last summer with their Mission of Mercy (MOM) project. and they're really proud of their oral cancer research center. look it up on their website.

hopefully, this helps. i know they have a new dean of admissions this year, so things may have changed.

good luck.