VCU School of Dentistry Class of 2028 Interview/Acceptance Thread

Does anyone know if VCU sends a second batch of acceptances? And if they do, does anyone know around what time?
I think second batch last year was mid February?

Members don't see this ad.

Did anyone in-state hear back? If yes, was it an email or a phone call?

Accepted today, it was a status update email and then a call afterwards. IS applicant

Members don't see this ad :)
I’m thinking a little ahead, but should I send a letter of intent to VCU’s admission in January? They are my top choice and I haven’t heard anything, not sure what to do next.

Also if anyone wants to pls look at my application to see what I’m lacking because I graduated early so I’m trying to figure out what to do spring semester.

I’m thinking a little ahead, but should I send a letter of intent to VCU’s admission in January? They are my top choice and I haven’t heard anything, not sure what to do next.

Also if anyone wants to pls look at my application to see what I’m lacking because I graduated early so I’m trying to figure out what to do spring semester.
i'd send it after the holidays like the first week of January. You need to have your letter of intent before January 15th to maximize your chance because that's the next wave

Reactions: 1 user
Waitlisted today! Anyone know the exact steps to take from here? How likely is it to get offered a position? Will they offer a seat once everyone starts submitting deposits and committing to other schools or is the waitlist kind of like a last resort type of situation?

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
Waitlisted today! Anyone know the exact steps to take from here? How likely is it to get offered a position? Will they offer a seat once everyone starts submitting deposits and committing to other schools or is the waitlist kind of like a last resort type of situation?
There aren't many steps you can take aside from being patient and focusing on other stuff for a bit. Students accepted will have a couple of weeks until their deposit is due at the school. Once the school sees what percent of the offered group paid an initial deposit, they will send out their post-December interview invitations. Then the next batch of acceptance letters will send around mid-February if my memory is correct. That could very well be when you hear from them next, or on one of the later acceptance roll-out dates in March or May. But you should also know that it is highly unpredictable when you will hear from them. You could hear from them before the February acceptance date, or you could hear from them half way through orientation. And yes, a friend of mine was accepted on the second day of D1 orientation because someone else did not show up so it does happen!

Link to last year's thread: VCU School of Dentistry Class of 2027 Interview/Acceptance Thread

Link to interview prep: Virginia Commonwealth University School of Dentistry Interview Feedback
----> Be sure to give feedback on your interview to help future applicants! :)

Link to school website: Virginia Commonwealth University School of Dentistry

Class of 2024 (ADEA Guide) General Stats:
Overall GPA: 3.66
Science GPA: 3.62
DAT: 21.4AA, 21.0TS, 20.6PAT
Applied: 2,156
OOS: 1,785 Applied, 195 Interviewed, 141 Accepted
IS: 274 Applied, 108 Interviewed, 89 Accepted
International: 97 Applied, 4 Interviewed, 4 Accepted
# Enrolled: 94
Class of 2026 (ADEA Guide) General Stats:
Overall GPA: 3.64
Science GPA: 3.56
DAT: 21.3AA, 20.9TS, 20.9PAT
Applied: 1,986
OOS: 1,626 Applied, 119 Accepted
IS: 244 Applied, 79 Accepted
International: 116 Applied, 9 Accepted
# Enrolled: 95

Good luck everyone!

Hi everyone! I am currently a D1 at VCU, and am the Class of 2028's Orientation Chair! If you have been accepted to VCU, please join this Facebook Group! This will be where you can find information regarding the start of school and a lot of helpful tips to make your transition to Dental School as easy as possible. Congrats and I look forward to meeting everyone!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I have heard they start picking off the waitlist sometime in march. I think people who interviewed in January will hear sometime this month.

What’s the approximate ratio of accepted/ interviewed for IS? Thanks.

What’s the approximate ratio of accepted/ interviewed for IS? Thanks.
Last time I checked dental school explorer it was like 1/4. 60 in state matriculated out of 240 IS applicants

Last time I checked dental school explorer it was like 1/4. 60 in state matriculated out of 240 IS applicants
Thank you for the response. Would you know how many of the 240 were interviewed?

Does anyone know anything about the waitlist? Like is it large and there’s a small chance or medium or a small waitlist. Like is it more of a soft rejection or a maybe or a good chance you’ll get in.

ACCEPTED IS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Congrats!🎊 When did you interview if you do not mind sharing? Were you wait listed or straight acceptance? Are you in state or OOS? Thank you and congrats again.

Does anyone know anything about the waitlist? Like is it large and there’s a small chance or medium or a small waitlist. Like is it more of a soft rejection or a maybe or a good chance you’ll get in.
Historically, some schools have accepted students off the waitlist—sometimes as late as accepting the student the day after classes start.

My friend who’s a D2 at VCU told me that’s literally what happened when she started there. Take it with a grain of salt but send LOI’s and just pray. To be fair, I’m IS and they ghosted me.

Congrats!🎊 When did you interview if you do not mind sharing? Were you wait listed or straight acceptance? Are you in state or OOS? Thank you and congrats again.
Yeah I interviewed on November 3rd and I got waitlisted in December. I'm also instate and sent an intent letter too! Good luck and thank you!!

Hopefully this does not sound too weird but does VCU or any dental schools has a preferred gender quota? e.g 50-50 rule?

Yeah I interviewed on November 3rd and I got waitlisted in December. I'm also instate and sent an intent letter too! Good luck and thank you!!
Thank you and very happy for you! Chin-up and stay hopeful to myself and all who are waiting like me.

• Care
Congratulations! I also interviewed then. Hopefully, I hear back soon too.

• Care
Was the wave of acceptances sent out in Feb - their final wave or will they send out acceptances in Feb staggered?

there's no such thing as a "soft rejection"...

Brutal. Hope you all get offers from other schools. Stay positive and good things will happen.

Does anyone know how common getting off the waitlist is?
According to a student I talked to, last year they took about 10 people off the waitlist and there are about 30 students on the waitlist

Anyone off the waitlist today?
I think for us on the waitlist we will hear back in March. Because that’s when final payment is due and people with multiple accepted schools can only choose one. It’s not promised we will hear back, but March is the best bet students from the waitlist will here back I think.

I think for us on the waitlist we will hear back in March. Because that’s when final payment is due and people with multiple accepted schools can only choose one. It’s not promised we will hear back, but March is the best bet students from the waitlist will here back I think.
Do you know if it’s unranked or ranked?

Do you know if it’s unranked or ranked?
Not sure but I think admissions could answer that, but I think they may go the route most schools do which is when a in-state student drops a waitlisted instate student will get their spot and if an out of state drops an out of state student will get that spot.