This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

VCU or Louisville

• Total voters

DreamingOfDentistry

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I hate to be that person but I am so torn! I've read previous threads about others making this decision. I have not heard from my in state school (Tennessee) so I could get an acceptance there later or it could be a rejection. I like to think I'm one of the bright ones whom if I heard back from TN I will go there so please don't drill me on the cost of these schools. My only options are out of state anyway! U of L and VCU aren't much different in costs. I have yet to do my own calculations but I've seen others.

I know Louisville is a very rigorous program. Oral path is hard as b@ll$. I've read and heard that is over-kill. Its one class though. I do like how they try and create a transition with their one month summer session I know their clinical reputation is strong (isn't everyones though? or so they say...). They have a BEAUTIFUL new clinic, incredibly nice faculty, class room seems comfortable, labs where we'll be spending first two years are clean and up to date, one of biggest concern for dental schools was that they have some sort of rotation in clinics outside of class and both schools have this. Everyone knows of the hospitality of louisville. I think the big factor for Louisville for me is that its closer to home. Its only 3 hours away while Richmond is 9 hours. I'm very close to my family but I also feel ready for the next big adventure.

VCU has one half their clinics that are beautiful, with the other half needed updates. I found that rather annoying because you could either be the half of the students who get the nice new chairs or you get boned. But I loved the fact that the clinics (both half) were really decorated for Halloween (thats around when I toured) and I think that gave a great feel to the school- I realize how silly that sounds but I think its important in a way that just sounds cheesy when described. The freshmen in the dent- sim lab really made the whole experience amazing. They were so incredibly happy to have come to VCU, described their class being close knit (which I know every class varies but I kind of have faith that the faculty picks these types of students and this is who I want to be surrounded by) Also, I thoroughly enjoyed my interview more with VCU. I had Dr. Huband which teaches Proths and another guy who works in the clinic and they had to have been the two nicest people I have interviewed with. I had 7 interviews total and I was just blown away by how great the interview felt. I also love that VCU doesnt have biochem or micro in the curriculum. I'm aware its on boards but I can't fathom having to sit through biochem again- I would rather review it on my own. I studied micro in undergrad so same situation there. Anatomy is also taken by itself the first month (which I have had grad level anatomy before so I'm prepared for the rigors) but I think its a great way to get to know your class mates. If you've had gross anatomy you know the collaboration I'm talking about. I got great vibes from the students but I didn't get time to explore Richmond as much as I would've liked. I think thats one of the biggest things holding me back. I really don't know much about Richmond and wish I could've explored more. Grad school made that impossible so I did my best to ask my Uber drivers, people on my plane, etc.

SOMEONE HELP ME! I hate making decisions...even small ones. Now I've got to make the biggest decision of my life and I'm hitting up SDN for some input ( sounds smart right?) Anything would be appreciated. Apologies for the rambling.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am just going off my experience with the school. If I wasn't going to Columbia I would be going to Louisville. I still wish I could clone myself and send my clone there. The culture, faculty, and clinical experience they give you is all so good. VCU is a good school too but I'm not sure if their culture matches Louisville's. Also the fact it's closer to home will come in handy.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
What would you like to know about VCU?

anything and everything. What have been the greatest things about VCU and its drawbacks? One of my biggest concerns is the rotations and if they are any good? I know they're more spread out over time and louisville i think you undergo the rotation for about 4 weeks straight. How would you describe VCU's culture. IM SO HAPPY a VCU student commented. Any insight you have or think would be good to pass on would be appreciated. Could you tell me a bit about the city? Are the faculty receptive to student concerns?

also do the other classes communicate or do classes keep to themselves? Do they help out with given old tests or tips, stuff like that? Louisville does this thing called "The gift" where its things like that.

I would prefer being closer to home myself. I interviewed but didn't get into my in-state schools in NC on DEc 1.
I have acceptances from several OOS schools that are 10+ hours away, and a Louisville spring interview coming up.
I'm waiting for a VCU invite because it is 3h from home and would go there over my other acceptances. I may change my mind though if I fall in love with Louisville.
but do you think being closer to home will make that much of a difference considering that you wont have much time to spend going home anyway? Idk that was my thought process. I've always been 3 hours away roughly for undergrad and grad school. Its been nice for a piece of mind in terms of if I fall ill or car troubles, but I imagine the only time I'll have to see family is holidays anyway.

I vote VCU because I had a very positive interview experience there. They are very focused clinically and that's my kind of school.

I vote VCU because I had a very positive interview experience there. They are very focused clinically and that's my kind of school.
I had the best interview there out of all the schools. The person who dropped me off for my interview looked in and said " You've got nice interviewers" and they weren't kidding haha!
I like that they get you in the clinic very early- D1- even if its just observing or doing minor things.

Where will you be attending Likkriue?

I had the best interview there out of all the schools. The person who dropped me off for my interview looked in and said " You've got nice interviewers" and they weren't kidding haha!
I like that they get you in the clinic very early- D1- even if its just observing or doing minor things.

Where will you be attending Likkriue?

I'm leaning towards Rutgers. Still haven't decided yet. Got a few more weeks to play with. I'm finding it really hard to turn away from VCU.

I didn't apply to VCU so I can't say much about that school, but I had a very positive experience at louisville. you talked about how VCU had halloween decorations up. I actually had my louisville interview on Halloween and they also had decorations up in the clinic and waiting room and much of the staff and faculty were wearing costumes so that was cool lol. the faculty were super nice and welcoming and i just love their school overall. I also talked to a d3 about that oral path class and yea it's super hard. but it's only one class so i guess we can get through it.

Sarcasm or no?

Didn't seem like sarcasm. He seems to genuinely think that Louisville is a great school. But people are going to only give you their personal preferences. In the end you need to think about all these factors on your own and prioritize what pros and cons are most important to you

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I would prefer being closer to home myself. I interviewed but didn't get into my in-state schools in NC on DEc 1.
I have acceptances from several OOS schools that are 10+ hours away, and a Louisville spring interview coming up.
I'm waiting for a VCU invite because it is 3h from home and would go there over my other acceptances. I may change my mind though if I fall in love with Louisville.
Did the NC schools already reject you or did you just not hear back dec 1st? I think UNC is going to send out more acceptances, so you may not be at a total lost there!

We have some of the most distinguished and well-known faculty in OMFS. Search for a handbook in OMFS and you'll find it from our school.

VCU speaks for itself.

Last edited:
I have a son that is currently in undergrad at VCU. I don't know anything about their Dental School or the MCV campus, but I can tell you that we like Richmond. We have been down to Richmond a few times, and it seems like a great city. There are tons of good restaurants and microbreweries. I like how the undergrad campus (MPC) has a defined campus, but is still in the city. And the city is also very walkable.

I also liked Louisville when we visited with another of our sons.

So, I think you have two good choices there.

We have some of the most distinguished and well-known faculty in OMFS. Search for a handbook in OMFS and you'll find it from our school.

VCU speaks for itself.
hello ! I was wondering if i can get some feedback, i have been accepted to vcu and another school . I know this vs louisville but i am looking for someone to help !

hello ! I was wondering if i can get some feedback, i have been accepted to vcu and another school . I know this vs louisville but i am looking for someone to help !

What's the other school? And what is your state residency?