Veteran/Low MCAT/Moderate GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

It's lupus!

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Deleted.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Wait and apply the next cycle after you have retaking the MCAT and hopefully have a score over 505 which would give you a chance for MD interviews. 500 would be OK for DO schools.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for responding! The gap year is a bit of a frustration for me logistically. I know the second time I take it I will be above 500 though.
With a higher GPA and a good MCAT score (at least 508) you could receive several interviews from the Texas MD schools.

Hola Bromigo. I was in the military and also like Jits, and food, and stuff.

I dunno if you've already know this or not, so I apologize if this isn't helpful. It won't be what you want to hear, but it will save you time and money, and for that, I am not sorry.

Anyway, the new mcat is designed with a 500 being kind of the go/no go correlation with step 1. So when the people in charge are reviewing a sub 500 application they see a huge red flag that reads "might not pass boards". In that case, they see themselves as doing the applicant a favor by not admitting them, becasue you could wind up 6 figures in debt and not graduate. Source: UW seattle dean of admissions, video on their website.

To overcome the "not academically prepared for medical school" red flag, you'd have to bring something to the table to allow someone to advocate for you against popular opinion at a large conference table. Do you have anything like that? I don't know the answer.

There are also "screens" you have to worry about. At some schools, a computer program would filter your app before you had the opportunity to win anyone over.

Right now, if you are not URM, your only snow-cone in phoenix MD possibility is USUHS. You may(?) have a small percent chance of netting an acceptance if you applied to 25+ DO schools, but I have no data to support that hunch. Just feels like if you play the field you could maybe come away with a win somewhere, but it would be an expensive gamble and give you reapplicant status everywhere in the future (no beuno).

Good luck with whatever you decide to do