Veterans: Anyone using VA voc rehab?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
You do not get a stipend (BAH or otherwise) during residency since you are employed. At that point your status would be considered "rehabilitated." You may be able to get EAA (employment allowance adjustment) for up to two months, but it is not automatic (there are certain criteria that need to be met for it).

@rangerdad, you seem to have made your mind up and tbh I have a lot of respect for what you have done, so I won't criticize your decision, but rather wish you the best in your journey. Just be aware that your fellow servicemembers are trying to look out for you and only have your best interests at heart. I do believe that you will have a difficult time getting a VRC to approve a Caribbean school simply because the cost will crest the $25K mark which automatically requires the approval of the VR&E officer, which is unlikely to happen.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Reactions: 1 user
You do not get a stipend (BAH or otherwise) during residency since you are employed. At that point your status would be considered "rehabilitated." You may be able to get EAA (employment allowance adjustment) for up to two months, but it is not automatic (there are certain criteria that need to be met for it).

@rangerdad, you seem to have made your mind up and tbh I have a lot of respect for what you have done, so I won't criticize your decision, but rather wish you the best in your journey. Just be aware that your fellow servicemembers are trying to look out for you and only have your best interests at heart. I do believe that you will have a difficult time getting a VRC to approve a Caribbean school simply because the cost will crest the $25K mark which automatically requires the approval of the VR&E officer, which is unlikely to happen.

Thank you esob. At the end of the day only time and results will decide if I made the right decision. Just frustrating to hear so many people knock something down when so many other have succeeded on that path. Good luck to everyone, I really love see veterans killing it in the civilian world. It is a rough transition for some, so it is awesome for us to even having this debate. We are the lucky ones!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you esob. At the end of the day only time and results will decide if I made the right decision. Just frustrating to hear so many people knock something down when so many other have succeeded on that path. Good luck to everyone, I really love see veterans killing it in the civilian world. It is a rough transition for some, so it is awesome for us to even having this debate. We are the lucky ones!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

You owe it to yourself to apply conus to at least an MD and several DOs. Think of it in the sense for the VRCs out there. Many will be swayed easier IFF you show effort and prompt timelines on your application in applying to stateside programs.

That way should you fall short this cycle, your attempts are noted before diving into a Caribbean school and wanting approval from Chapter 31. One of many factors a good VRC will want to see (outside of acceptances) are residency match rates from the program of your choice. This is why very few will ever approve such costly programs as job entry employment opportunities.

Cast a wide net and pick what you caught. It’ll be a smoother transition for chapter 31 acceptance.

Reactions: 2 users
Wow, I'm 100% service connected and was told flat out...we are not paying for you to become a doctor.

I am 100% permanent. I did everything by the book, and used disabledveterands.org for guidance. Had all in place until the supervisor of my counselor disapproved it in the last second. I completed my undergraduate, and I’m a little frustrated with the system. Choosing to focus on the MCAT and the application process.
I hired Ben Krause from the website I mentioned. He will fight it for me, $3500 (which has a broke student, really hurts) and if I win another $3500.
Kind of sucks because I have to spend this money to fight something that the regulations authorized according to my circumstances. Hopefully they will also pay for my legal expenses.
Worst case scenario I will have to use loans like everyone else, but it would be nice winning this fight and graduate with zero debt.

@rangerdad

I’m a physician and a veteran. It sounds like you’ve made up your mind but it’s a tragic conclusion so I’m going to try one more time out of respect for your service. My life won’t change a bit and I don’t care if I win arguments on the internet but here it goes:

Your goal is to become a physician. It may be more specific now but the odds are that will change. You may discover a calling that is different than you expect. There may or may not be a quality difference between SGU and the average med school but there is a perception of difference. Medicine is fundamentally a game of probabilities.

Attending SGU by choice is giving away some of your odds of getting what you want. It’s like playing blackjack and always staying on 16. Or going straight to surgery for a stage 3 rectal cancer instead of taking neoadjuvant treatment. Both of those choices will work frequently and sometimes the right choice will fail. However, not maximizing your odds was still the wrong choice. Anecdote is not evidence. The available evidence suggests that many people don’t make it through SGU and nearly everyone makes it through USMD schools. You’d probably make it. But...then what? What if you discover you want GI, Cards or Allergy fellowship? What if you discover you want to be a ENT? Well, you’ve made life much harder than it needed to be and probably closed that door. Unfortunately, you’d close other doors too.

Med school is the start of a new professional journey. Your first journey was hard. This one will be too but there’s no reason to make it harder than it needs to be.

There. I’m done. I wish you all the best. If I could, I’d have yelled at you about this after a couple beverages, but this is all I’ve got.

Reactions: 3 users
I am 100% permanent. I did everything by the book, and used disabledveterands.org for guidance. Had all in place until the supervisor of my counselor disapproved it in the last second. I completed my undergraduate, and I’m a little frustrated with the system. Choosing to focus on the MCAT and the application process.
I hired Ben Krause from the website I mentioned. He will fight it for me, $3500 (which has a broke student, really hurts) and if I win another $3500.
Kind of sucks because I have to spend this money to fight something that the regulations authorized according to my circumstances. Hopefully they will also pay for my legal expenses.
Worst case scenario I will have to use loans like everyone else, but it would be nice winning this fight and graduate with zero debt.

I'm going to tell you how my friend was eventually approved for Voc Rehab Chapter 31 after 16-20 months of fighting with the same counselor.

That person got a new Voc Rehab counselor, and everything was approved within 30 days. So, my advice to you is to elevate this issue to the higher chain of command and request a different counselor before you burn $7k of cash that could be used for strippers and beers.

Kind of sucks because I have to spend this money to fight something that the regulations authorized according to my circumstances.

I’m very familiar with Mr. Krause and am part of his Chapter 31 Disabled Veterans Group on social media. Yet as others have echoed, the “free” and best avenue to try first is two-fold:

1) Request to switch your VRC (Voc-Rehab Counselor). Even if it means doing a phone or Skype session (which is mandated upon request if over 50 miles to appointment location).

2) Call your Congress Representative with subsection titles and CFR codes that establish your qualifications. They will quickly be up to speed on Chapter 31 Benefits and be able to force upper hands when need be. Provide signed paperwork as to why you were denied coupled with your other school documents / transcripts.

This will all be easier once you’ve established an MCAT score and applied conus due to matching % rates some counselors may want that SGU cannot establish (for job entry purposes). That $7k is better spent broadening your horizon and secondary apps / interviews / deposit fees.

And it's MUCH easier to get approved with an actual acceptance to a medical school on hand. I think I may only know of 1 person who was approved prior to having an acceptance in hand. All others I've personally been in contact with, including myself, have only received approvals with an acceptance letter.

I officially have an approved separation date to begin school in August. I’m working with my MTF to get the ball rolling with the VA. Assuming I get a rating or get rated high enough to apply for Voc Rehab, I feel I may miss out on the chance to use it for the first semester (if approved). Will Voc Rehab retroactively cover the other half of my semester if I’m approved, let’s say, midway through it?

I officially have an approved separation date to begin school in August. I’m working with my MTF to get the ball rolling with the VA. Assuming I get a rating or get rated high enough to apply for Voc Rehab, I feel I may miss out on the chance to use it for the first semester (if approved). Will Voc Rehab retroactively cover the other half of my semester if I’m approved, let’s say, midway through it?

It will be retroactively cover all expenses dating back to when you first apply for Voc Rehab. Make sure to keep all paperwork with dates with you.

Anyone approved for FAP in this forum during their application process?
Do we report BAH and Disability Pay, even tough during the FASFA is not count as income?

Members don't see this ad :)

Yes. You’ll be retroactively covered. As always, keep your documents from day 1 in case your questioned.

Anyone approved for FAP in this forum during their application process?
Do we report BAH and Disability Pay, even tough during the FASFA is not count as income?

I’m not in it myself, but you still report it as “Other Documents” as non-taxed income / Entitlements:

https://students-residents.aamc.org/applying-medical-school/article/what-you-need-apply/

Click on the Other Documentation tab and it’ll list the credentials. From others I know that had been on it, it had no implication on their assistance due to disability / entitlement clause geared toward education / physical mobility and not as personal income.

Hey guys, I’ll read this thread in the future to get the full details... but I can apply for Voc Rehab with 30% disability, correct? If it makes any difference, the disability is a “mental” one, not physical.

I also have 4 months and some change left on my GI Bill.

And dumb question, but even if I get approved, I’ll still need to take out loans, right? Thanks in advance

Hey guys, I’ll read this thread in the future to get the full details... but I can apply for Voc Rehab with 30% disability, correct? If it makes any difference, the disability is a “mental” one, not physical.

I also have 4 months and some change left on my GI Bill.

And dumb question, but even if I get approved, I’ll still need to take out loans, right? Thanks in advance

No dumb question:

Your qualified to apply for Voc-Rehab (Chapter 31) with at least a 10% or greater service connected disability. We just updated our FAQ list regarding details of Voc-Rehab at the top of the forum in the threads that are stickied:

FAQs - Chapter 30 & 33 Educational Benefits along with VR&E Chapter 31 Benefits

Scroll to the bottom that talks in detail on Voc-Rehab with hyperlinks.

You will need to apply on your e-Benefits page and contact the nearest Voc-Rehab Counselor (VRC). Not everyone gets approved since you have to provide details of how your disability makes you severely handicapped that you no longer can gain entry employment in your current condition.

It’s a stressful process for most, but if you get approved, as long as you have at least 1 day on your post 9-11 Benefits, your housing allowance through that entitlement gets extended for the duration of your Voc-Rehab coverage. So, in the end...it’s possible to have housing and tuition and supplies paid for without pulling out additional loans (best case scenario).

No dumb question:

Your qualified to apply for Voc-Rehab (Chapter 31) with at least a 10% or greater service connected disability. We just updated our FAQ list regarding details of Voc-Rehab at the top of the forum in the threads that are stickied:

FAQs - Chapter 30 & 33 Educational Benefits along with VR&E Chapter 31 Benefits

Scroll to the bottom that talks in detail on Voc-Rehab with hyperlinks.

You will need to apply on your e-Benefits page and contact the nearest Voc-Rehab Counselor (VRC). Not everyone gets approved since you have to provide details of how your disability makes you severely handicapped that you no longer can gain entry employment in your current condition.

It’s a stressful process for most, but if you get approved, as long as you have at least 1 day on your post 9-11 Benefits, your housing allowance through that entitlement gets extended for the duration of your Voc-Rehab coverage. So, in the end...it’s possible to have housing and tuition and supplies paid for without pulling out additional loans (best case scenario).
Ok cool I applied for the program, and it just says they'll reach out to me shortly.

How long does it typically take for them to contact you?

Ok cool I applied for the program, and it just says they'll reach out to me shortly.

How long does it typically take for them to contact you?

You'll get a piece of mail with a scheduled date within about 2-4 weeks. I think I got mine in the mail 3 weeks after applying, and the appoint was scheduled for 2 months after application (4-5 weeks after I received it in the mail).

You'll get a piece of mail with a scheduled date within about 2-4 weeks. I think I got mine in the mail 3 weeks after applying, and the appoint was scheduled for 2 months after application (4-5 weeks after I received it in the mail).
Ok thank you! Is the date/time set in stone or can we change it?

I never tried to change mine, so I can't say from personal experience, but I've known many people to have difficulty changing the date. Even some who discussed it and had the date "changed" but when they showed up, were said to have missed their appointment (original scheduled date). This may be location dependent, or counselor dependent, I dont know. Try to make the originally scheduled appointment though. Once you make that, everything is made between you and your counselor and not automatic.

Based on your region typically the first appointment is mandated and non-changeable with exceptions for some (orientation type setting as well) with homework to pick 3-5 jobs your interested in within your desired district.

I will say though, if your assigned VRC is more than 50 miles away, you may request a Skype session - phone call that they are mandated to uphold (or pay for your travel).

Based on your region typically the first appointment is mandated and non-changeable with exceptions for some (orientation type setting as well) with homework to pick 3-5 jobs your interested in within your desired district.

I will say though, if your assigned VRC is more than 50 miles away, you may request a Skype session - phone call that they are mandated to uphold (or pay for your travel).

Am I supposed to be unemployed when I have this appointment? I’ll have a part time job, so could they potentially say “you aren’t qualified because you’re clearly capable of working”?

Am I supposed to be unemployed when I have this appointment? I’ll have a part time job, so could they potentially say “you aren’t qualified because you’re clearly capable of working”?

Some a-hole counselor might screen you for that precise reason. So, I don't know what to say.

My opinion is that if you're still going to school full time. Go tell them that. I wouldn't even bring up the part time gig.

The Book answer is “No.” You can work.

However, this is going to depend heavily on your part time work vs counselor defining your aptitude’s of being gainfully employed. What I mean is, the whole point of Chapter 31 is for an entry job and with you working most would simply screen you out and disqualify you.

Here’s a current thread we have discussing the details and qualifications that some counselors may / may not consider:

Chapter 31 "Qualifying for Voc-Rehab" Journey

I strongly recommend doing homework about your rights with these links:

1) 38 CFR § 21.51 - Determining employment handicap.

2) Chapter 8: Individualized Written Rehabilitation Plan (IWRP)

One is defining your “abilities” and “interests” and the other is a thought out written rehabilitation plan you are required to do by most counselors. You need to defend your case as to why you seek these benefits. Unfortunately, it can be tough, but doable.

It's an employment program, as just as black coffee put it, it could be. However, it is meant for gainful employment that doesn't exacerbate your service connections.

Also, read the post in the link in my signature, and add yourself to the facebook pages. A lot of info are in those 3 things in addition to this thread, and these questions have all been answered as well with numerous explanations for them.

Got denied for voc rehab today. I’m an OMSII with a 50% rating. I was denied because I have a bachelors degree and could get a job if I dropped out of school. This doesn’t seem right. Anyone successfully appeal after being denied?

Got denied for voc rehab today. I’m an OMSII with a 50% rating. I was denied because I have a bachelors degree and could get a job if I dropped out of school. This doesn’t seem right. Anyone successfully appeal after being denied?

What's your bachelors in? Did you argue why you're not employable to that employment with you bachelors would exacerbate your service connections?

What's your bachelors in? Did you argue why you're not employable to that employment with you bachelors would exacerbate your service connections?

BS in Biology, and then she said they have plenty of wildlife and fisheries jobs open atm. I tried to politely argue why my disabilities preclude me from that but she said it didn’t matter. She said she can’t do anything because of my bachelors degree and that “no one” gets it for any post bac education like med school. She wouldn’t discuss my disabilities at all and would only say having a bachelors makes me automatically not qualified.

BS in Biology, and then she said they have plenty of wildlife and fisheries jobs open atm. I tried to politely argue why my disabilities preclude me from that but she said it didn’t matter. She said she can’t do anything because of my bachelors degree and that “no one” gets it for any post bac education like med school. She wouldn’t discuss my disabilities at all and would only say having a bachelors makes me automatically not qualified.

I wouldn't appeal it yet, but that takes years. Request to speak to the supervisor or see if you can get a new counselor first.

I wouldn't appeal it yet, but that takes years. Request to speak to the supervisor or see if you can get a new counselor first.
She’s the only one at the school, how do I request a new counselor? She said she’s putting the denial in the system today.

She’s the only one at the school, how do I request a new counselor? She said she’s putting the denial in the system today.
A few people have successfully changed counselors, got approval from supervisors, called their congressmen/women, and resulted in approvals.

I went ahead and answered your concern on the other thread (I’ll add any other outlines I have here). In short, and as a fulltime student with an established 50% disability (and currently receiving compensation for it) I’d strongly recommend contacting your Congress representative with your documents and subsection titles I posted to you on the other thread in this subforum.

You can even ask (respectfully) to speak to her supervisor regarding a change recommendation even if it’s off campus. They are obligated to do this even if the next counselor is over 50 miles away (of which Skype and phone calls can occur).

Ask to speak to the office regional officer in order to get a new counselor. It seems that this lady is a liar who has an axe to grind with you. For these types of people, make sure to document all bs and take the fight to them by bringing all grievances to a higher chain of command.

Throughout this process, I have had 5 counselors. All of them are wonderful except my third one. It took me 4 weeks to straighten her crap out. As a medical student, I don't have time to play the game, but I make sure to let people know that they don't want mess with me. Zero bs tolerated from me.

For these types of people, make sure to document all bs and take the fight to them by bringing all grievances to a higher chain of command.

As a medical student, I don't have time to play the game, but I make sure to let people know that they don't want mess with me. Zero bs tolerated from me.

A lot of truth with leaving a paper trail as well as educating yourself on your entitlements straight from the titles/outlines/document forms/ so on and so forth.

usmc, just remember (and as what black coffee mentioned and implied) if you get approved near the end of your med schooling, they HAVE to backpay to the initial date of you applying for this entitlement. Met a dental student who got a nice payday due to not only his loans being covered, but all computer-software-lab items he had to purchase and upgrade out of pocket during his years of schooling.

Hey guys, I have posted here before about how I am currently using Voc Rebab for my undergrad. I have been accepted to medical school. I submitted the formal letter to my counselor requesting a revision in my plan, an acceptance letter, statement from the certifying official at the school stating they have students using voc rehab at the school. I gave all this to my counsel a month or so ago.

She called me today saying she spoke to her supervisor and she is denying my request. Because it is outside the scope of the program and that my bachelors is good enough. I asked her why they have students at the school using voc rehab and her response was “well every veteran is different.” She said my only recourse now is to go to the appeals board. Guess I will be calling me senator.

You could try speaking to the supervisor yourself first if you'd like just in case she's BSing you or didnt explain your case properly and just set you up for failure. In the event the supervisor is actually saying no too, don't appeal just yet because that's a long, backed-up process. Contact your senator as you mention, or your congress person. See if they can do anything about it. After that would be the appeal.

You could try speaking to the supervisor yourself first if you'd like just in case she's BSing you or didnt explain your case properly and just set you up for failure. In the event the supervisor is actually saying no too, don't appeal just yet because that's a long, backed-up process. Contact your senator as you mention, or your congress person. See if they can do anything about it. After that would be the appeal.
I believe the supervisor is the issue because she is the one who was my original counselor and told me lies in the first place.

Hey again guys - so I have an appointment in a few weeks; I wasn't expecting the appointment so fast since I just applied a couple weeks ago.

Anyway, I just want to make sure I bring all the right documents with me... does this list look sufficient?

-Undergrad Transcript
-Med school acceptance letter
- Copy of regs just in case
- Disability paperwork
-Form they provided in the mail

Is there anything specific I need to find in my disability paperwork/ medical records? I basically just have a brown folder filled with papers of my medical history in the military.

Hey again guys - so I have an appointment in a few weeks; I wasn't expecting the appointment so fast since I just applied a couple weeks ago.

Anyway, I just want to make sure I bring all the right documents with me... does this list look sufficient?

-Undergrad Transcript
- Disability paperwork

Is there anything specific I need to find in my disability paperwork/ medical records? I basically just have a brown folder filled with papers of my medical history in the military.

Is your bachelors already complete? Have you used your gi Bill at all?

-Undergrad Transcript
- Disability paperwork

Be ready to fight these people to the end. Unless you get a good counselor be ready for them to lie and try and deny you everything.

Yeah just graduated in December. I still have about 4 months on my GI Bill left

Make sure you bring proof/reasoning as to why you need an MD/DO, AND why you cannot be employed with your bachelors degree/or why being employed with your bachelors will exacerbate your rated/SC disabilities while practice medicine as a doc would not.

Voc Rehab only provides an extra 12 months when there is no extension. Since 16 months (12+ remaining 4) doesn't cover med school, you HAVE to demonstrate how seriously your service connections affect you. You MUST receive an severe employment handicap (SEH) to get benefits for med school as voc rehab is essential "all or none" as they will only pay for your training if they plan to see you through.

I haven't mentioned this before because it's pretty embarassing - but my 30% rating is due to anxiety. Will this type of disability make it harder to get approved?

I haven't mentioned this before because it's pretty embarassing - but my 30% rating is due to anxiety. Will this type of disability make it harder to get approved?

It's going to depend on your counselor, if/what triggers if you have if not general, and how you present it.

For instance if you have test taking anxiety or performance anxiety, those can weigh on you a lot in med school because we take a lot of exams plus OSCEs and boards (including one that is in person and is a performance). You'll be seeing patients and asking the questions from time to time in front of others, being quizzed by residents and attending on the spot, etc.

Be aware of this and have a reason(s) that this won't affect you or you'll have an uphill battle.

Not sure what’s embarrassing about it. I have 70% for PTSD and anxiety with 10% for lower back and ankles (Once I leave a longer paper trail I’ll resubmit my 80% disability for a higher rating due to ankles and back).

It really will be based on how you present it. I’ve heard many get approved and denied (myself included). Present your severe employment handicap in a way that being a physician won’t aggrevate your current state. I agree, easier said than done. Research and outline strong points to validate your reasons. Depending on your VRC makes a difference as well (good or bad).

Thanks again guys.

Another question (sorry for all the questions at once, but my appointment is this Wednesday...) -- I'm filling out the form that was sent to me, and it asks to list my employment after the military. During school, I worked as a medical assistant for a doctor for 2 weeks as a fill-in for the main medical assistant, so I wasn't technically employed. Should I still list this down since it's part of the medical field, or should I just omit it?

I would just omit it if you weren't technically employed. If you were a medic/corpsman, thats enough - just demonstrate why being an EMT/paramedic/nurse (the rough equivalents) can't be performed with your disability (AND HOW THEY WONT INTERFERE WITH BEING A PHYSICIAN) - did I emphasize that last point enough? lol.. If you were something else in the military, your argument should be based on why you need to switch out of your old military field and/or to that of medicine, in which simply going to school in the field with some shadowing or something is enough to suffice.

Last edited:
I would just omit it if you weren't technically employment. If you were a medic/corpsman, thats enough - just demonstrate why being an EMT/paramedic/nurse (the rough equivalents) can't be performed with your disability (AND HOW THEY WONT INTERFERE WITH BEING A PHYSICIAN) - did I emphasize that last point enough? lol.. If you were something else in the military, your argument should be based on why you need to switch out of your old military field and/or to that of medicine, in which simply going to school in the field with some shadowing or something is enough to suffice.

^ this

I personally know 2 vets with PTSD going through med school on Ch 31 (one with a 100% rating), so mental health ratings will not preclude someone from being approved. As has been previously stated, the individual VRC's have a lot of leeway in approving your plan. My best advice is to try to develop a good rapport with your VRC from the moment you meet them. If you show up well-dressed, on time, prepared with questions and answers, and a determination to keep your cool and be polite while also being persistent, then you stand a much better chance of being approved. I know this might sound obvious but you would be amazed at some of the people I've seen show up to these meetings with no clue on how to behave or even how the program works. You never get a second chance to make a 1st impression.

If you follow the above advice and are still not approved, it is best to first ask for a supervisor or a different VRC to review your case prior to filing an official appeal, as it can take years (as others have noted). Although I've never had to ask my congressman for intervention with Ch 31, I have on two occasions asked for their help with other VA issues, which the VA immediately resolved. My guess is that they could have some impact on your Ch 31 decision as well but that is purely speculation at this point. As a last resort, it would still be worth filing an appeal because if you are approved they would have to back-date everything.