VIRMP - LOR Thoughts?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

VIRMPIN_AINT_EASY

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am applying for cardiology residencies through the VIRMP this year (after being out for several years, didn't match after my internship, just now re-entering). I feel pretty good about what I've been able to do experience-wise with my CV, and feel I have written a strong personal statement vetted by others who have successfully completed residencies/landed faculty jobs, etc. Now, the only part I am lacking is on the LOR part. I have two references who I believe will write killer references for me; they are, however, both criticalists, but they know me well and have trained a number of residents/interns. My third choice for reference is a cardiologist from my internship, who I feel I had a good relationship with, especially at the end of the internship, but my last contact with him was in 2013 when my internship ended. He has not responded to my request to use him as a reference. Despite my acknowledging he may not want to provide a reference given how long it has been, and only asking him to let me know either way, he has not responded. From my internship, I recall he tended to be the "silent no" kind of guy when it came to responding to emails, so I'm assuming that is the case here. Any other reference, I would probably try and follow-up with, buy I know from past experience with this guy that only annoys him (as though his failure to reply should be crystal clear).

This brings me to my next question, if anyone has any insight. I feel lacking at least one cardiologist as a reference will be viewed as a major weakness. I worked sparingly with a couple of cardiologists during some time as an ER vet, and we had an amiable enough working-relationship, but never developed that deeply that I feel comfortable asking for a reference. They are also private practice and don't really train residents. On the other hand, I can ask another criticalist I worked with, but that would be three, or possible an internist, although she doesn't really train residents either, and we never worked one-on-one that much, although I think we had a decent professional relationship. She probably can't really attest much to my clinical skills, knowledge base, etc though, because she never really observed me in practice.

I can probably get the best reference from another criticalist, but is it better to go for variety? I kind of want to leave the fourth reference open for the cardiologist I originally asked in case he ever responds, so I don't necessarily want to tie that up right now. If anyone, especially who landed a cardio residency, has thoughts on this, I'd appreciate them. Is it better to have three strong references, or is it pretty much absolute that I need a cardiologist in the mix as well?

Members don't see this ad.

This is just my opinion, but I think not having a cardiologist as a reference would definitely hurt your application. Especially considering how small the world of cardiology is and with how few positions there are, I am sure that the majority of applicants would have at least one cardiologist as a LOR. I would consider shadowing a cardiologist at another practice if you can between now and December in order to obtain a LOR if the one you had in mind doesn't reply. I definitely think you should still have the 2 criticalists write you LORS though. Also, don't discount the cardiologists that you have worked with in private practice, even if they have never trained residents. I matched to a residency after obtaining LORs from surgeons, an internist, and a neurologist at my private practice internship (which does not have a residency program).

Reactions: 1 user
So I am applying for cardiology residencies through the VIRMP this year (after being out for several years, didn't match after my internship, just now re-entering). I feel pretty good about what I've been able to do experience-wise with my CV, and feel I have written a strong personal statement vetted by others who have successfully completed residencies/landed faculty jobs, etc. Now, the only part I am lacking is on the LOR part. I have two references who I believe will write killer references for me; they are, however, both criticalists, but they know me well and have trained a number of residents/interns. My third choice for reference is a cardiologist from my internship, who I feel I had a good relationship with, especially at the end of the internship, but my last contact with him was in 2013 when my internship ended. He has not responded to my request to use him as a reference. Despite my acknowledging he may not want to provide a reference given how long it has been, and only asking him to let me know either way, he has not responded. From my internship, I recall he tended to be the "silent no" kind of guy when it came to responding to emails, so I'm assuming that is the case here. Any other reference, I would probably try and follow-up with, buy I know from past experience with this guy that only annoys him (as though his failure to reply should be crystal clear).

This brings me to my next question, if anyone has any insight. I feel lacking at least one cardiologist as a reference will be viewed as a major weakness. I worked sparingly with a couple of cardiologists during some time as an ER vet, and we had an amiable enough working-relationship, but never developed that deeply that I feel comfortable asking for a reference. They are also private practice and don't really train residents. On the other hand, I can ask another criticalist I worked with, but that would be three, or possible an internist, although she doesn't really train residents either, and we never worked one-on-one that much, although I think we had a decent professional relationship. She probably can't really attest much to my clinical skills, knowledge base, etc though, because she never really observed me in practice.

I can probably get the best reference from another criticalist, but is it better to go for variety? I kind of want to leave the fourth reference open for the cardiologist I originally asked in case he ever responds, so I don't necessarily want to tie that up right now. If anyone, especially who landed a cardio residency, has thoughts on this, I'd appreciate them. Is it better to have three strong references, or is it pretty much absolute that I need a cardiologist in the mix as well?
OP...I can't really weigh in authoritatively on your question re: LORs (I apply to the Match next cycle), but just needed to say- I love your screen name :)

Reactions: 1 users