visible tattoos as a med school applicant/student/resident

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

astroandanthro24

Reaction score
i know that it's super early for me to be thinking about this (freshman in college), but i've been thinking about getting a tattoo on my chest (probably a butterfly or something) to accessorize my open heart surgery scar. would the fact that it's going to go over a scar even matter if i were to explain why i have a visible tattoo, or am i likely to just get judged when i interview at med schools or even when i become a resident?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
just extend the tattoo to be a stethoscope around your neck.

but seriously, it is not a big deal - nothing to worry about here.

Reactions: 1 user
astroandanthro24 said:
i know that it's super early for me to be thinking about this (freshman in college), but i've been thinking about getting a tattoo on my chest (probably a butterfly or something) to accessorize my open heart surgery scar. would the fact that it's going to go over a scar even matter if i were to explain why i have a visible tattoo, or am i likely to just get judged when i interview at med schools or even when i become a resident?
It may sound old-fashioned, and cliche, but tattoos and piercings are frowned upon in medicine. Think carefully before getting tattoos in places that won't be covered by clothing.

You know what they say--if you like it that much, get a poster. If you still feel passionate about the design 1-2 years out, THEN get a tattoo. But most people get sick of the poster by then. :laugh:

Reactions: 3 users
Echo the above; get the tattoo low enough to not be visible in lower cut shirts or get the tattoo and always wear high-collared shirts until people can't tell you what to do anymore

MS-2 here: I have a thigh tattoo, that can only be seen if I wear shorts. Unless you are wearing a low-cut shirt or tank top, no one will see your chest tattoo.
I know residents and a few attendings with visible tattoos (Half Arm Sleeves, wrist, fingers, etc).
For all cases, I’ve never heard anyone make a big deal out of it.

It may sound old-fashioned, and cliche, but tattoos and piercings are frowned upon in medicine. Think carefully before getting tattoos in places that won't be covered by clothing.

You know what they say--if you like it that much, get a poster. If you still feel passionate about the design 1-2 years out, THEN get a tattoo. But most people get sick of the poster by then. :laugh:
I generally agree with the second part of this comment. I waited 3 years to get my tattoo. It was carefully planned out and has very important meaning to me.

Sure, tattoos and piercings can be “frowned upon” in medicine. As is wearing natural hair or braids for black women. I remember interviewing for medical school two years ago and being told by a medical interviewing consultant “guru” (hired by my post-bacc program) to get a weave or to wear a wig to “play it safe” as to not upset the conservative culture and beliefs of medicine. I’ve seen doctors and medical students at all levels with these “frowned upon” things and it didn’t make them any less successful or competent.

Reactions: 2 users
Judging by the number of students I see who have visible tattoos and piercings, this will not be a problem in the Northeast. Which would you rather have folks see: a tattoo or a scar? Either should not be an issue; it's your preference.

Reactions: 1 users
OP I’d also recommend you don’t get it as your first tattoo. I got a tattoo on my rib cage and it was very painful. I would imagine getting one on your sternum that’s large enough to cover a scar would hurt like getting hit by a truck.

Sure, tattoos and piercings can be “frowned upon” in medicine. As is wearing natural hair or braids for black women. I remember interviewing for medical school two years ago and being told by a medical interviewing consultant “guru” (hired by my post-bacc program) to get a weave or to wear a wig to “play it safe” as to not upset the conservative culture and beliefs of medicine. I’ve seen doctors and medical students at all levels with these “frowned upon” things and it didn’t make them any less successful or competent.
Natural hair and braids are entirely acceptable. There may be parts of the country where this is not true, but I know of no one who feels this way. I'm sorry some supposed expert told you otherwise. Tats on the other hand...

• Love
Natural hair and braids are entirely acceptable. There may be parts of the country where this is not true, but I know of no one who feels this way. I'm sorry some supposed expert told you otherwise. Tats on the other hand...
this is another one of my concerns. i'm a black female and i've been told many times that wearing braids/other protective styles isn't the safest thing to do when interviewing for jobs or academic programs and i'm worried that if i end up with the wrong interviewer, my hair alone would make them see me negatively whether i have a tattoo or not.

Members don't see this ad :)
this is another one of my concerns. i'm a black female and i've been told many times that wearing braids/other protective styles isn't the safest thing to do when interviewing for jobs or academic programs and i'm worried that if i end up with the wrong interviewer, my hair alone would make them see me negatively whether i have a tattoo or not.
Do you like the west coast? It's nice here.

Do you like the west coast?
unfortunately i've lived in the bible belt my entire life, and i have no idea what either of the coasts are like. it's definitely a possibility if i could get over the high cost of living

unfortunately i've lived in the bible belt my entire life, and i have no idea what either of the coasts are like. it's definitely a possibility if i could get over the high cost of living
I've lived all over this country (with much of it in the area you mentioned).
The cost of living here is entirely worth it for many (myself included!).

I've lived all over this country (with much of it in the area you mentioned).
The cost of living here is entirely worth it for many (myself included!).
isn't it unlikely that i'll get into a medical school in california since most of them are attached to public universities?

2 years ago I followed my school’s medical consultant’s advice when I interviewed at medical schools. The first month of medical school I wore a weave as well.
You know this, but many non-black women have no idea how uncomfortable wearing a weave is, especially in the extremely hot Arizona summer’s. I hated myself for bowing down to this stupid recommendation. BUT, I was accepted. I wonder what would have happened if I wore my natural hair to interviews? I’ll never know. After the first month of medical school I decided that I was going to be myself. I’m now an MS2 and have been wearing my hair naturally or in braids since the first month of first year. As I mentioned in another post, I also have a thigh tattoo that is easily hidden, but on casual days where I am going to school or the library (days with no business casual dress code), I wear shorts that can show part of my tattoo & no one has ever said anything.

isn't it unlikely that i'll get into a medical school in california since most of them are attached to public universities?
The number of African Americans applying to medical school is so small that all West Coast schools recruit from the entire nation.
If your stats are anywhere close the the 10th percentile, apply here!

gyngyn said:
Agree with this 100%
Tats and hair are two different categories

Last edited:
Judging by the number of students I see who have visible tattoos and piercings, this will not be a problem in the Northeast. Which would you rather have folks see: a tattoo or a scar? Either should not be an issue; it's your preference.
You’re still at the mercy of hospital policy.

I just wanted to offer my thoughtful contribution to this thread—any wiggle room with the butterfly idea? Not saying a butterfly can’t be cool, but have you seen Brock Lesnar’s sword to the throat tattoo? Now that’s a tattoo. And, I’d like to see a med school Interviewer tell Brock to take a hike. Hopefully the hospital is close by when the Beast Incarnate is done with em. I mean the man F-5’d a shark... just a suggestion.

The number of African Americans applying to medical school is so small that all West Coast schools recruit from the entire nation.
If your stats are anywhere close the the 10th percentile, apply here!

even schools like UCI, UCSD, and UCR? applying OOS wouldnt be a donation near 10th% ?

even schools like UCI, UCSD, and UCR? applying OOS wouldnt be a donation near 10th% ?
UCR has a mission to serve the IE so that might not be the best choice for OOS applicants. UCD rarely accepts OOS applicants. Northstate would not be a recommendation for other reasons.
The other CA schools (public and private) are reliant on OOS applicants to expand the diversity of their classes, though. The MSAR shows the states from which matriculants come. Check it out!

• Love
2 years ago I followed my school’s medical consultant’s advice when I interviewed at medical schools. The first month of medical school I wore a weave as well.
You know this, but many non-black women have no idea how uncomfortable wearing a weave is, especially in the extremely hot Arizona summer’s. I hated myself for bowing down to this stupid recommendation. BUT, I was accepted. I wonder what would have happened if I wore my natural hair to interviews? I’ll never know. After the first month of medical school I decided that I was going to be myself. I’m now an MS2 and have been wearing my hair naturally or in braids since the first month of first year. As I mentioned in another post, I also have a thigh tattoo that is easily hidden, but on casual days where I am going to school or the library (days with no business casual dress code), I wear shorts that can show part of my tattoo & no one has ever said anything.

Same. I wore a braided wig for all my interviews in order to look "more professional" as my hair was still in baby locs.

Agree with this 100%
Tats and hair are two different categories

Sure tattoos and hair are not in the same category and they might be acceptable to you (which is great) but laws were just passed in 2019/2020 that employers/establishments shouldn't discriminate based on hair - i.e. Implicit bias, it's easy for someone to say you look unprofessional if you have braids or an afro or locs or even a different hair color, despite it being styled, looking otherwise neat.

Unfortunately, still have to err on the side of caution, tattoo-wise and hair as well.

I live in the Bible Belt, and have a visible tattoo on my forearm. The bottom edge of it is visible in a white coat/suit. I waited until medical school to get it, to get a better feel of the career/atmosphere/expectations. I realized fairly quickly that as long as a tattoo isn’t offensive or “in your face”, no one cares. On your residency interviews, just wear a shirt with a high enough neckline to cover your tattoo. Beyond that, your skill set will be to valuable to make a tattoo define your employability.

Keep the tats in places covered when dressed with professional attire. Also, dont forget to remove functional jewelry before any interviews. Had a med school applicant in nice business attire but neglected ro remove the tongue stud. Judgement comes into question.

Keep the tats in places covered when dressed with professional attire. Also, dont forget to remove functional jewelry before any interviews. Had a med school applicant in nice business attire but neglected ro remove the tongue stud. Judgement comes into question.
I was interviewing a young woman from Stanford who had (apparently) just gotten a tongue stud. She kept clinking it on her teeth and fussing with it for the first half of the interview until finally she burst into tears and ran to the restroom. I've often wondered what ultimately became of her... I called her Student Affairs Dean to make sure she was alright.

• Wow
ive got some arm stuff and a LOT more on the way. my thumb rule is a business casual outfit should cover them aka if full sleeve button up and slacks will cover them get whatever the heck you want, hopefully it's tasteful though! ;D

I was interviewing a young woman from Stanford who had (apparently) just gotten a tongue stud. She kept clinking it on her teeth and fussing with it for the first half of the interview until finally she burst into tears and ran to the restroom. I've often wondered what ultimately became of her... I called her Student Affairs Dean to make sure she was alright.
WHAT is it with your school???!!!

• Haha