Vision 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

J ROD

Watch my TAN walk!!
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I considered Pod before but I was concerned about the fact pods are not considered to be "full" physicians under most laws and do not get paid the same as othropods for the same work.

For this reason, I would be for the "Vision".

I like the MD idea, but it is not that big a deal to me. To me, it is already a medical subpspeciality.

Since I am not a pod student and recently heard about this, can someone enlighten me further?

I can not read any of the journals that talk about it unless I pay for it.

Is this initiative going through for sure? How does one follow it in the news, etc.?

I know it has been discussed before. I was hoping for more info and current status.

Appreciate it!!!

Members don't see this ad.

I considered Pod before but I was concerned about the fact pods are not considered to be "full" physicians under most laws and do not get paid the same as othropods for the same work.

I like the MD idea, but it is not that big a deal to me. To me, it is already a medical subpspeciality.

Since I am not a pod student and recently heard about this, can someone enlighten me further?

Is this initiative going through for sure? How does one follow it in the news, etc.?

I know it has been discussed before. I was hoping for more info and current status.

Appreciate it!!!

I'm a little confused. Under what laws are we not considered "full" physicians? What is a "full physician"? Why would we get paid as much as a foot and ankle orthopod? We can't take primary ortho trauma call. Most foot and ankle orthos do a fair amount of general ortho as well.

As far as 2015, I haven't looked at it for a while. I think it has some good ideas but I don't really know how it is progressing. Anyone know?

I'm a little confused. Under what laws are we not considered "full" physicians? What is a "full physician"? Why would we get paid as much as a foot and ankle orthopod? We can't take primary ortho trauma call. Most foot and ankle orthos do a fair amount of general ortho as well.

As far as 2015, I haven't looked at it for a while. I think it has some good ideas but I don't really know how it is progressing. Anyone know?

I think he's referring to the fact that an orthopaedic surgeon will get reimbursed at a certain rate by insurance companies, while a podiatrist doing the exact same procedure will receive a lesser reimbursement fee.

Members don't see this ad :)
Vision 2015

Thats a link to vision 2015 on SDN.

As far as progression: I think the whole curriculum change at SCPM is a step in the right direction. It incorporates more MD/DO-esque classes. (Although they only end up taking Gen. Anatomy, ECM and something else with MD students.)

You can read more about it here.

I think other schools will follow the same approach. Any Pod students want to chip in about their school?

Appreciate it!!!

nothing is ever "for sure", especially when you are looking 7 years down the road and asking if everything will be accomplished by then. that is a tough question, likely impossible to answer. most of it is based on changing legislation (which is kind of like going to school to become an NBA player--hard to do.) and appealing to current DPMs/hospitals to increase residency training. one thing that the proponents of 2015 consistently cement is parity with our md counterparts. they think that by changing some legislation we will all of the sudden be in equal plane. i personally think we are in plane with health care professionals right now, and verbage in the law books doesn't really change anything. a greater change will wrought when our addmisions standards are higher, an MCAT-only policy is adopted, and probably most importantly, we enter our feild as highly-trained and compotenet doctors. fee discrimination is different than a pay-scale. i think people get this concept mixed up.
i think the big issue right now is between old school MD/ortho guys and old school pods. i have talked with younger mds who have sang praise about the pods with whom they worked during residency. if we can keep this relationship up, i think our reputation, or whatever it is that apma is trying to fix, will work its self out.
im not trying to talk you into a DPM. i remerber when i was looking into the profession and i started asking questions on SDN. retrospectively, the best advise i received was to shadow and research what a pod does on a daily basis, then make the desicion. im on a tangent now...
only some aspects of 2015 would directly affect everyday practice. don't get too hung on the idea that it will or will not completely revolutionize podiatry.

I think he's referring to the fact that an orthopaedic surgeon will get reimbursed at a certain rate by insurance companies, while a podiatrist doing the exact same procedure will receive a lesser reimbursement fee.

That's what I was attempting to ask.

I just believe in the equal pay for equal work. I would hope insurance companies and medicare see pods as equals in terms of payment reimbursement.

I shadowed a pod several years back and liked very much what they do. I was only hesitate because of issues like that, which MDs do not have to worry about.

Plus, I heard that pods do not get paid well, ie less than 150K, or it took years before you made any decent money. With the debt load, I thought it seemed a lesser option.

But, I think I may have been wrong after reading on here.

Last edited:
I believe in supply and demand.
Equal pay for Equal work is a bit to 'social' for me~
However, I see the demand now and in the future, I also see ortho's having demands to do other procedures... that they may find more appealing, leaving pods ample opportunity.

pod not equal to ortho
pa not equal to md/do
np not equal to md/do
dnp not equal to md/do
optom not equal to omth

all these job categories are different occupation levels and have different scopes and training. Despite at times a procedure that has the same procedure and outcome...before that procedure and after they are still different - to include how they arrived at that decision. I really think it does not make sense to only bill on procedure.... if it is more expensive it will drive 'people and agencies' to find the competition that can do it cheaper.
I see think we have seen this as PHP continues to move toward the 'PA/NP/DNP' realm and I do not think they should receive 'equal pay for equal job'.
v/r

Last edited by a moderator:
But what's the reason for paying a DPM less than an orthopedic surgeon to do the same procedure? Isn't that like admitting that DPMS are "lesser" to MDs/DOs?

Health care is not a free market system. You can claim it is bust you be laughed at if you tried to prove it to the business community. Believe in supply and demand all you want, I'd like to get paid better for simply just doing my job, but that's just me.

I believe in supply and demand.
Equal pay for Equal work is a bit to 'social' for me~
However, I see the demand now and in the future, I also see ortho's having demands to do other procedures... that they may find more appealing, leaving pods ample opportunity.

I really think it does not make sense to only bill on procedure.... if it is more expensive it will drive 'people and agencies' to find the competition that can do it cheaper.
I see think we have seen this as PHP continues to move toward the 'PA/NP/DNP' realm and I do not think they should receive 'equal pay for equal job'.
v/r

First off, you truly do not understand how reimbursement in healthcare works. I hope you will take some time before going to school to learn so that you do not perpetuate myths or downright stupid ideas regarding healthcare economics. First off the OP has a point in "equal pay for equal work." Medicare and insurance companies do not care who does a procedure be it an MD, DO, or DPM. However, the physician, which is not inclusive of podiatrists mind you, who orders and performs an ankle fusion will get a reimbursement of x dollars based on the amount of RVUs that the procedure is rated for. RVUs are a value set by medicare (congress) and the private insurers of this country base their reimbursement rates off of Medicare/medicaide now. Now if a DPM performs the exact same procedure, he or she will recieve a reimbursement of exactly 30% less than the physician (MD, or DO) who performed the same, identical procedure. Does this seem right, especially when podiatrists perform the majority of foot and ankle care in this country, no, but we've been dumb enough to allow it for a long time; it is what it is. Don't get me started on why a nationalized healthcare service would be the best thing for this country. If you don't understand why you're just too ignorant about healthcare. America doesn't have a healthcare system...

In regards to Vision 2015, I think it will eventually happen, it may not be on time, but it will happen. Things are going in that direction. I was at the doctor recently, and he asked me what I was doing next year and I told him pod school. He responded by telling me that podiatry is one of the best kept secrets in medicine if you want to be a surgeon. You'll get great hours, great pay, cool cases, and good out comes. Do what you want and don't worry about the money. Physicians and Podiatrists will always be able to eat well, and pay off their school loans. Do not go into healthcare for the money, it's not there anymore unless you think a 150K per annum is making bank. It's not. It's good money, but not like it used to be....

First off, you truly do not understand how reimbursement in healthcare works. I hope you will take some time before going to school to learn so that you do not perpetuate myths or downright stupid ideas regarding healthcare economics. First off the OP has a point in "equal pay for equal work." Medicare and insurance companies do not care who does a procedure be it an MD, DO, or DPM. However, the physician, which is not inclusive of podiatrists mind you, who orders and performs an ankle fusion will get a reimbursement of x dollars based on the amount of RVUs that the procedure is rated for. RVUs are a value set by medicare (congress) and the private insurers of this country base their reimbursement rates off of Medicare/medicaide now. Now if a DPM performs the exact same procedure, he or she will recieve a reimbursement of exactly 30% less than the physician (MD, or DO) who performed the same, identical procedure. Does this seem right, especially when podiatrists perform the majority of foot and ankle care in this country, no, but we've been dumb enough to allow it for a long time; it is what it is. Don't get me started on why a nationalized healthcare service would be the best thing for this country. If you don't understand why you're just too ignorant about healthcare. America doesn't have a healthcare system...

In regards to Vision 2015, I think it will eventually happen, it may not be on time, but it will happen. Things are going in that direction. I was at the doctor recently, and he asked me what I was doing next year and I told him pod school. He responded by telling me that podiatry is one of the best kept secrets in medicine if you want to be a surgeon. You'll get great hours, great pay, cool cases, and good out comes. Do what you want and don't worry about the money. Physicians and Podiatrists will always be able to eat well, and pay off their school loans. Do not go into healthcare for the money, it's not there anymore unless you think a 150K per annum is making bank. It's not. It's good money, but not like it used to be....

If the APMA is successful in lobbying for parity in reimbursement schedules, this figure could significantly increase...

If the APMA is successful in lobbying for parity in reimbursement schedules, this figure could significantly increase...

Ah, there's the rub!!!

This is the main reason I am for the "Vision".

A surgeon should be paid for his time and education level. Not because of initials. Same procedure, same pay!!

I sound like a union man, lol!!

Ah, there's the rub!!!

This is the main reason I am for the "Vision".

A surgeon should be paid for his time and education level. Not because of initials. Same procedure, same pay!!

I sound like a union man, lol!!

I totally agree with you; in fact, I think one of the most important postulates of Vision 2015 is the goal for equal reimbursement.

Iceman,
thanks for the feedback - I do want to learn more about the health care side of economics and can only imagine there is a world of difference, Thanks~

Members don't see this ad :)
does anyone know if the apma wants pods to take the same board exams as those that we want parity with? i heard that the md's are ok with letting pods take these exams?

It's interesting to see the discussions regarding the Vision 2015 on this forum. However, it is important to note that the project is ongoing and that some of the goals and objectives have already been achieved, while others are long term and will take many years.

Specifically regarding your question on testing, this is one area that will take some time. Discussions have been ongoing with the allopathic and osteopathic medical leaders as to how to proceed there. While allopathic students take the USMLE upon completion of their four years of medical school, ostepathic graduates take a different exam (usually). So having podiatric medical students take the USMLE may not be the best solution to the parity issue in testing.

You should be assured that the leaders of the podiatric medical profession are working hard to determine the best plan of action for this and many other issues relating to podiatrists achieving parity with allopathic and osteopathic physicians. Once the education, training and experience of podiatrists is better understood by everyone, we will be well on our way to achieving parity. Until that time, as a student your most effective way to have an impact is to get the best education you possibly can in podiatric medicine and to make sure to let all your allopathic and osteopathic colleagues know all about your education, training and experience.

It's interesting to see the discussions regarding the Vision 2015 on this forum. However, it is important to note that the project is ongoing and that some of the goals and objectives have already been achieved, while others are long term and will take many years.

Specifically regarding your question on testing, this is one area that will take some time. Discussions have been ongoing with the allopathic and osteopathic medical leaders as to how to proceed there. While allopathic students take the USMLE upon completion of their four years of medical school, ostepathic graduates take a different exam (usually). So having podiatric medical students take the USMLE may not be the best solution to the parity issue in testing.

You should be assured that the leaders of the podiatric medical profession are working hard to determine the best plan of action for this and many other issues relating to podiatrists achieving parity with allopathic and osteopathic physicians. Once the education, training and experience of podiatrists is better understood by everyone, we will be well on our way to achieving parity. Until that time, as a student your most effective way to have an impact is to get the best education you possibly can in podiatric medicine and to make sure to let all your allopathic and osteopathic colleagues know all about your education, training and experience.

:thumbup: I explained the education to my PCP the other month. He had no idea. But, it's great to get the knowledge out there. :)

I'm concerned though that having to vehemently defend a profession this much (that should ALREADY have met these goals years ago), only serves to make this profession look less solvent and more mediocre than it already is in the eyes of other med professionals and the public.

I'm concerned though that having to vehemently defend a profession this much (that should ALREADY have met these goals years ago), only serves to make this profession look less solvent and more mediocre than it already is in the eyes of other med professionals and the public.

This profession isn't mediocre, sir. What would you have someone who represents APMA post? Change does not happen over night. You must understand that before you enroll in either a school of chiropractic, or a podiatric medical school.

I would spiritedly beg to differ with you on your opinion; that other professionals and the public hold the same regard, as you do, for podiatrists. You are sorely mistaken. A lot of our work comes from referrals from primary care physicians, and other medical professionals. Additionally, ask a diabetic, who suffers from foot ulcerations, if they believe that their podiatrist is mediocre. Much of the general public still thinks that podiatrists are MDs.

Lastly, I have seen your previous posts regarding chiropractic and podiatry. If you feel such about our respectable profession, maybe your better off in chiro. In this world of the PCP gatekeeper, we'll see which profession is held in higher regard among medical professionals; yours or ours.

If you will not be secure with your profession enough to not feel the need to defend it then do not go into any branch of medicine.

I have posted this before and will continue to post it.

All branches of medicine think that they are the best at what they do even if there is overlap between other specialties. Each branch makes fun of the next saying that Orthos are techs and not real docs, as well as PCP's say about surgeons that they are techs and butchers.

Vascular and IR squable all the time.

Surgeons say that OBGYN should not be allowed to hold scalples.

You need to pick the profession that you love and learn enough about it to be secure with what you do so when someone picks on you you do not take offense.

You will be much happier if you learn to not take yourself or your career too seriously from the beginning.

If you will not be secure with your profession enough to not feel the need to defend it then do not go into any branch of medicine.

I have posted this before and will continue to post it.

All branches of medicine think that they are the best at what they do even if there is overlap between other specialties. Each branch makes fun of the next saying that Orthos are techs and not real docs, as well as PCP's say about surgeons that they are techs and butchers.

Vascular and IR squable all the time.

Surgeons say that OBGYN should not be allowed to hold scalples.

You need to pick the profession that you love and learn enough about it to be secure with what you do so when someone picks on you you do not take offense.

You will be much happier if you learn to not take yourself or your career too seriously from the beginning.
You make good points. But I'd not mind being called a tech, if I was in Ortho. I'd still be a well paid tech in the hundred thousands. Sports med is interesting to me but DC or DPM is equal in getting you there sports med wise. My chance at Ortho in my lifetime academically, is the chance an ice cube has in hell.

You keep mentioning sports medicine...chiropractic is not medicine. Its a philosophy that involves manipulation techniques, modalities, and therapies. Why not just do physical therapy if you want to only do sports medicine. Podiatry has so many aspects besides sports med, why only do pod for sports med?

You keep mentioning sports medicine...chiropractic is not medicine. Its a philosophy that involves manipulation techniques, modalities, and therapies. Why not just do physical therapy if you want to only do sports medicine. Podiatry has so many aspects besides sports med, why only do pod for sports med?
What about the physicians that work with sports teams, be it DC or DPM? Do a google search for DC or DPM and any pro sport. They are there. Many teams now employ DC or DPM for their sport. I can't play pro but can work WITH pro's this way.This is a doable goal, yet you must select the more desired and lucrative to teams. I can't do Ortho surg. but can sure as hell try to do DC or DPM.

What about the physicians that work with sports teams, be it DC or DPM? Do a google search for DC or DPM and any pro sport. They are there. Many teams now employ DC or DPM for their sport. I can't play pro but can work WITH pro's this way.This is a doable goal, yet you must select the more desired and lucrative to teams. I can't do Ortho surg. but can sure as hell try to do DC or DPM.

Sports teams would take a DPT over a DC, guy. Teams want real practioners treating their athletes, not quacks who relieve "subluxations."

I think gymman is really setting himself up by wanting to pursue chiropractic...but after reading some of his previous posts I think its better he do that than podiatry. His heart is not in podiatry. He should stay away from this profession

While allopathic students take the USMLE upon completion of their four years of medical school, ostepathic graduates take a different exam (usually). So having podiatric medical students take the USMLE may not be the best solution to the parity issue in testing.

I agree. Just to point out something. The Nurse practitioners are wanting to also take the USMLE for the DNP degree students. A lot of people are throwing up a huge stink about it. I would be careful when approaching this issue. I think people would respect your profession a lot more if you took aspects of the USMLE but incorporated whatever it was that you felt wasn't currently being tested by the current national podiatric board exams.

Trying to get DPM students to take the USMLE may actually have the opposite effect you're looking for politically.

just a thought.

Personally, I'm indifferent to Vision 2015. I could care less about taking the USMLE. In my opinion, podiatry as a profession does have respect. People just think feet are a funny or taboo part of the body period.

does anyone know if the apma wants pods to take the same board exams as those that we want parity with? i heard that the md's are ok with letting pods take these exams?

I think instead of having pods take the MD boards, perhaps the Orthopods who want to do foot and ankle should have to take the DPM boards (the clinical one). :eek:

Or not.....

As a student, I don't want to be in the cluster mess of MDs, Hospitals. But if we do the same procedure, and we are even MORE specialized, we should be paid at least the same amount, if not more, IMO.

I agree. Just to point out something. The Nurse practitioners are wanting to also take the USMLE for the DNP degree students. A lot of people are throwing up a huge stink about it. I would be careful when approaching this issue. I think people would respect your profession a lot more if you took aspects of the USMLE but incorporated whatever it was that you felt wasn't currently being tested by the current national podiatric board exams.

Trying to get DPM students to take the USMLE may actually have the opposite effect you're looking for politically.

just a thought.
I agree.

Pod students taking the USMLE basically says "we will try to meet your standards" and therefore implies that MD exams are the gold standard. Well, I thought DPMs were supposed to be the best in F&A care (I think they are). With that thinking, pod students attempting the USMLE - no matter what the results - could indeed have an adverse effect.

However, I think the USMLE is still a roadblock that probably to be broken down by podiatry... not just detoured around. Podiatry students get solid curriculum, and the many of today's pod residencies are excellent. Our journals and research are evolving. Our applicant numbers are increasing in both quantity and quality. Despite more and more recognition and constantly improving training, there is still a lot of degree discrimination by misinformed people. Right now, I remain in favor of pod students taking the USMLE. It has been proposed by MDs ( http://www.podiatrym.com/pmnewsissues.cfm?pubdate=05/11/2007 ... scroll down a bit), and I think it may expidite APMA political goals. It could backfire, though, and there is definitely no clear-cut answer.

Last edited:
I don't get it... Why should pod students take the USMLE? DOs don't even take that...they take the COMLEX, right? So, the only thing pods need is for the NPMBE exam to be on par with the other exams. It's not the name of the exams, schools, or degrees that need to be changed...It's the licensing practices that need to be changed.

I'm not sure exactly what The Mighty Vision entails. I've heard its goal is to give us pariety with MDs and DOs but that doesn't make much sense because pod is its own unique specialty, like dentistry. I believe changing that would be a mistake. However, I do believe that pods need a uniform scope of practice, similar to the ones in GA, FL, and Cali, in all 50 states

I don't get it... Why should pod students take the USMLE? DOs don't even take that...they take the COMLEX, right? So, the only thing pods need is for the NPMBE exam to be on par with the other exams. It's not the name of the exams, schools, or degrees that need to be changed...It's the licensing practices that need to be changed.

I'm not sure exactly what The Mighty Vision entails. I've heard its goal is to give us pariety with MDs and DOs but that doesn't make much sense because pod is its own unique specialty, like dentistry. I believe changing that would be a mistake. However, I do believe that pods need a uniform scope of practice, similar to the ones in GA, FL, and Cali, in all 50 states
Can you elaborate on the specifics of the scope in those three states, as opposed to other states?

Can you elaborate on the specifics of the scope in those three states, as opposed to other states?

FL: Definition of a DPM - Podiatric Physician. Human Foot Definition - Foot & Leg. Amputation - Amputation of the toes or other parts of the foot, but not including the foot or leg in its entirety. Surgical treatment below the anterior tibial tubercle.

GA: Definition of a DPM - Podiatrist means a physician and surgeon of the human foot and leg who is subject to this chapter. Human Foot Definition - Human foot, ankle, and the leg. Amputation - Amputation of the toes.

CA: Definition of a DPM - Doctor of Podiatric Medicine. DPM is included as a health care practitioner subject to other statute; however, DPM is not considered a physician (opinion of attorney general). Human Foot Definition - human foot, including the ankle and tendons that insert into the foot and nonsurgical treatment of the muscles and tendons of the leg governing the functions of the foot. Amputation - DPM needs to be ankle certified. Statutes include limitations based on anatomical sites, DPM certifications, and surgical centers.

Please add or delete information that is incorrect. My list is a year or two old. :)

I just threw those states out there because I remember reading somewhere that those are some of the best states to practice for pods. Also, I know GA has one of the most lenient scopes of practice for pods. I believe that if The Mighty Vision achieved a GA scope of practice nationwide or worldwide for that matter, it would have achieved much. Other than that, it comes across that we're trying to follow the DOs into MD land.

Going back to my original point that to achieve these goals pods must change the licensing practices. It doesn't matter what exams pods take, or the letters on the degree. What matters is passing federal legislation so that pods nationwide are licensed with a scope similar to GA's.

Last edited:
FROM APMA eNEWS 2726

Vision 2015 Update
The 2005 APMA House of Delegates passed a resolution that mandated that APMA commit itself to achieving the goal, by 2015, of podiatrists being defined as physicians who treat patients in their specialty without restrictions. The master plan called for in that resolution has been developed and is being implemented by the Vision 2015 (V 2015) Committee. The V 2015 Committee has created a set of objectives that it feels will accomplish the V 2015 goal. The committee is facilitating these objectives among a large number of stakeholders from within and outside of podiatry, who have a vested interest in those objectives.

The objectives are:

1. Education
The education, training, and experience of podiatrists must be equivalent to that of allopathic and osteopathic medicine. This includes having equivalent competencies for graduates of podiatric medical schools and having a national board exam process that is comparable to the USMLE and COMLEX exams.

Additionally, all residencies must be comprehensive three-year programs that afford training in all aspects of podiatric medicine, biomechanics, and surgery, as well as experiences across medicine and medical subspecialties. Residents will be trained in competency-based systems comparable to those of allopathic and osteopathic medicine.

The certifying boards in podiatry and the certification process must be clear and understandable to the medical community and to the public.

Much progress has been made by the stakeholders toward these education objectives.
Following a forum convened by the V 2015 committee last may, NBPME and the Council of Deans have agreed to have a dean serve as a representative on the NBPME board to greater facilitate dialogue between the two groups.

AACPM has created an ad hoc committee to monitor a potential disparity between the number of graduates of podiatric medical schools and available residencies in the coming years. The V 2015 Committee, with the cooperation of the Council on Podiatric Medical Education (CPME), the Council of Teaching Hospitals (COTH), and The American Association of Colleges of Podiatric Medicine's (AACPM) has developed a hotline to assist and advise potential residency directors in the process of applying for new programs.

2. Inter-Professional Relations
APMA leadership continues to meet with AMA and AOA leadership. V 2015 seeks to pursue and cultivate relationships with medical societies on national, state, and local levels.

3. Legislative and Regulatory
Ideally there should be a uniform scope of practice for podiatric physicians and uniform federal and state regulatory definitions of DPM as physician. APMA is pursuing inclusion of the definition of podiatrists as physicians in Medicaid Title XIX. Federal statutes regarding the Veteran's Administration (VA), military, Employee Retirement Income Security Act (ERISA), and other areas where podiatric physicians are not considered physicians are to be addressed.

4. Public Relations and Marketing Campaign
All APMA departments are using language and messages that are consistent with V 2015. A public relations firm is being employed as consultants, and marketing materials are being developed for this campaign. APMA has created the PR Capabilities Campaign Oversight Committee, which is developing standardized information statements the profession can use when creating our marketing messages.
The APMA Web site is being revamped, and ongoing changes will keep it in line with V 2015 changes.

5. Student Recruitment
A manpower study was completed and published in JAPMA (July/August 2008). The results are to be used to promote the goal of increased student recruitment to attain the V 2015 goal. Podiatric medical school applications are at their highest, but the ratio of applicants to accepted students needs to be greatly increased.

The V 2015 Committee has planned a massive summit meeting of all stakeholders, to be held in Bethesda, MD, on February 28-29, 2009. All V 2015 objectives will be reviewed, discussed, and edited. The means of achieving theses goals will be formulated and disseminated across the profession.
The V 2015 Summit Meeting attendees will include:
V 2015 Committee
APMA staff and chairs from the Legislative, PE&I, and State Advocacy Committees
Deans and representatives from all colleges of podiatric medicine
CPME
ABPS
ABPOPPM
ACFAOM
NBPME
AACPM
COTH
APMSA
Young Members

The V 2015 plan is an ongoing process that has already involved hundreds of individuals and will affect thousands of podiatrists and ultimately untold numbers of the public and other medical professionals. It's an ambitious undertaking that has created great excitement in our profession. We're one-third of the way there.

:thumbup: I'm a class of 2014 hopeful, so if this all gets done by 2015 then it would be golden! :D

I am just concerned that if I finish in 2014 and all this takes effect 2015 then would I still be competitive or would I have to go through extra schooling to maintain a competitive edge?

Largely vison 2015 is a recruiting campaign for young pre-podiatry students such as yourself. Even if vision 2015 does get "enacted" it will not likely dramtically change podiatry. Just because you're now a "physician" doesn't mean that you'll be able to change your mind during your schooling and become an invasive radiologist, or any other medical specialist. If you want to become a foot and ankle surgeon podiatry is a great way to go. However, if you want to do something else, save your money, time and effort and go to real medical school, not podiatry school.

One has about the same chances of winning the lotto as they do working for a sports team.

Now go buy your scratch off ticket and see if you are the winner!

But I played college ball!!! Uhh so did a 10 billion others.

Daydreaming gets you nowhere and is dangerous.