This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Flamingo123

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Can I count clinical volunteer hours that was not through a hospital or hospice?
For example, if I volunteer for a sick special needs boy in his home and give him meds and feed him, can that count as patient care? (I am not related to the boy personally nor do I know him personally. I was asked by a friend to volunteer who had previously done it).
 
Yes, absolutely. And if I'm wrong, the system is broke.

This is a great experience and will look pretty unique I would think.
 
Can I count clinical volunteer hours that was not through a hospital or hospice?
For example, if I volunteer for a sick special needs boy in his home and give him meds and feed him, can that count as patient care? (I am not related to the boy personally nor do I know him personally. I was asked by a friend to volunteer who had previously done it).
Yes, you can list it, but you're going to need an objective witness as a Contact to legitimize the experience. Is there a nurse, on site medical aide, or physician that can verify your timeframe and total hours? The child's parent is a last choice.