This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jamdalf

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am applying for medical schools this summer. I have a reasonable MCAT (514) and strong GPA (4.0), I have research experience, and I was fairly involved on campus in my undergad (various club officer positions and tutoring science). I shadowed quite a lot as well (over 100 hours). My volunteer hours are the weakest part of my application. I contacted a hospital where I volunteered back in 2014-2015, to confirm my hours with them for my application and it turns out they do not have any of my hours on file. This sets me back quite a lot in terms of volunteer hours, but I still have around 75 without those hours. I have heard that it is not necessarily the hours, but the experiences you have while volunteering. Would having so few volunteer hours bar me from an interview?

I am having trouble deciding if I should try and cram a lot of volunteer hours in June and July to then submit my AMCAS early August, or should I just go a head with what I have and submit early? What would you recommend?

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

My advice is always to be productive with the time that you have. If volunteering is your only hole then why not fill it? It will show a dedication to service, give you new perspectives on things, and give you ammo during interviews as well. Not having any clinical may hurt more than nonclinical.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Can't you get someone to estimate some numbers in good faith? I ran into this problem at my local clinic, but they'll gladly sign an official statement for a good faith estimate for me. Absolutely get those hours you have given. They'll be a barren hole in your application and someone's going to question wth were you doing with your time during 2014.

Members don't see this ad :)
Can't you get someone to estimate some numbers in good faith? I ran into this problem at my local clinic, but they'll gladly sign an official statement for a good faith estimate for me. Absolutely get those hours you have given. They'll be a barren hole in your application and someone's going to question wth were you doing with your time during 2014.

That was my initial thought but I wasn't sure how common or acceptable this was. If you were there for any significant amount of time there will hopefully be someone there that remembers you and will sign off on it. Interviewers will probably be able to tell that you're speaking from experience and not blowing smoke.

Thank you both for responding!

I have been emailing with the new coordinator of the volunteer services at the hospital. She has been incredibly hesitant to do this for me. I mentioned that several volunteers and the previous coordinator may be able to vouch for me. But that did not seem to satisfy her. ):

I was planning on continuing to volunteer after I submitting my primary applications, of course because of what ProspectiveKidd mentioned above. :) But is getting additional volunteer hours for my application worth putting off submitting it until August?

Put the hours (put your best, conservative estimate). If a medical school calls to verify, they will be told they don't keep hourly records.

However, can anyone vouch that they know who you are?

Put the hours (put your best, conservative estimate). If a medical school calls to verify, they will be told they don't keep hourly records.

The hospital I volunteered at usually keeps hourly records, but mine were not properly recorded. The previous coordinator left and I think that change may have caused my hours to be lost. ):

I agree.

Put down a number you think is reasonable. I will suggest seeing if you could contact the old coordinator and see if she will vouch for you to the new coordinator.

Put a reasonable, honest estimate of your hours. I'm sure you can figure out something like X hours a week for Y weeks based on your memory. Put down contact information for someone who remembers you. It doesn't need to be the volunteer coordinator, any nurse or another volunteer or anyone would be fine.

how many hours did you actually have at this hospital?
I volunteered there at least 30 hours, I kept records in a notebook I accidentally threw away a few months ago so I can't say for sure (just my luck). I got to know other volunteers and the coordinator pretty well in my time there, as well as a couple of patients, so I definitely spent a sizable amount of time there.

Contact the old volunteer coordinator and use them as the reference. Even if they do not work there anymore, they can vouch

I volunteered there at least 30 hours, I kept records in a notebook I accidentally threw away a few months ago so I can't say for sure (just my luck). I got to know other volunteers and the coordinator pretty well in my time there, as well as a couple of patients, so I definitely spent a sizable amount of time there.

30 hours is meh. I don't think anyones going to be worried about you fudging that.

The chance of AMCAS calling to check on a 30 hour hospital volunteer experience is essentially zero. Just find literally anyone from the hospital who knows you volunteered there.

realistically there is a 98% chance they will not check up about 30 hours of volunteering. but again, better find someone to vouch just in case

Sorry to hijack this thread. But I did have a question relating to volunteering and entering it into the application.

So I have large amount of hours and the supervisor to my volunteering hours became a director somewhere else. I am on good terms with the new supervisor, but not as good as the old supervisor. Which one should I put on the contact entry?

Sorry to hijack this thread. But I did have a question relating to volunteering and entering it into the application.

So I have large amount of hours and the supervisor to my volunteering hours became a director somewhere else. I am on good terms with the new supervisor, but not as good as the old supervisor. Which one should I put on the contact entry?

Doesn't matter at all. It is not for a reference, it is for a simple confirmation. Unless you expect one to sabotage you, it won't matter at all.