This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jens825

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I know the requirements for applications, and I am searching for volunteer opportunities at the moment. One that I am interested in is the crisis text hotline, in which I will be able to answer calls or receive text messages from people in crisis ( Suicidal thoughts, sexual abuse, depression etc.) I would be volunteering regularly 4 hours a week for a year. I know this is different form community service, but would this be acceptable volunteer work for med school? Maybe it's a stupid question, but I'm just wondering if it would be wise to look for something else. The reason I chose this is because I really would love helping people work through their problems!

Members don't see this ad.

So I know the requirements for applications, and I am searching for volunteer opportunities at the moment. One that I am interested in is the crisis text hotline, in which I will be able to answer calls or receive text messages from people in crisis ( Suicidal thoughts, sexual abuse, depression etc.) I would be volunteering regularly 4 hours a week for a year. I know this is different form community service, but would this be acceptable volunteer work for med school? Maybe it's a stupid question, but I'm just wondering if it would be wise to look for something else. The reason I chose this is because I really would love helping people work through their problems!
Do that, but look for something else. I would think that it would look better to have in person contact. But then thats what I think. ( I'm a premed like you... so take it as you may!) Good luck!

This is fine, because you will be making an impact in people's lives.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you taking these calls and texts from your personal cell phone on your own time at home, or are you actually sitting in a call center for 4 hours per week?
Sitting at my
Own computer doing it from their website.

Sitting at my
Own computer doing it from their website.

Well, first off, let me say that I applaud you for doing that. As someone who has lost multiple friends and family members to suicide, I think it's a big deal. Second, I would try to find something that is more hands on/face-to-face in the community to do in addition to this. ADCOMs here may tell you differently, in which case I would defer to them; however, my own reaction is that they will want to see you take the time to go out into the community and be with disadvantaged folks in person as well.

Reactions: 1 user
As long as you've got some other face-to-face volunteering with disadvantaged folks (clinical or not), go for it.

Reactions: 1 user