This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

celestia0313

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
So I am volunteering at 2 different hospitals currently but the experience at one is far more rewarding and really I would like to stop volunteering at the other hospital (let's call it hospital B)...but with around 30 hours so far, would it look bad on my applications that I 'quit' volunteering so early? Should I just stick it out until I get closer to 75 hours at hospital B? Originally I was planning on doing 75 hours at each hospital, but I'd like to focus all my time on the hospital I actually enjoy volunteering at.

Also on the AAMC applications, for volunteering at multiple hospitals do you list the number of hours for each hospital? Or just total volunteer hours, bc then I guess it won't really matter if I quit hospital B early.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

1) So I am volunteering at 2 different hospitals currently but the experience at one is far more rewarding and really I would like to stop volunteering at the other hospital (let's call it hospital B)...but with around 30 hours so far, would it look bad on my applications that I 'quit' volunteering so early? Should I just stick it out until I get closer to 75 hours at hospital B? Originally I was planning on doing 75 hours at each hospital, but I'd like to focus all my time on the hospital I actually enjoy volunteering at.

2) Also on the AAMC applications, for volunteering at multiple hospitals do you list the number of hours for each hospital? Or just total volunteer hours, bc then I guess it won't really matter if I quit hospital B early.
1) You are not obliged to list an experience on your application if you think it won't reflect well on you. Entering a 30 hour clinical experience might raise questions about why you left so soon.

2) If you group the two experiences, you'd enter the total hours from both hospitals in the Total Hours space, but in the narrative you'd break down the subtotals for each of the sites, along with giving the Contact information for the second hospital in your narrative (the first one having been entered in the header). The subtotals should match what your Contact would attest to.

Reactions: 3 users
1) You are not obliged to list an experience on your application if you think it won't reflect well on you. Entering a 30 hour clinical experience might raise questions about why you left so soon.

2) If you group the two experiences, you'd enter the total hours from both hospitals in the Total Hours space, but in the narrative you'd break down the subtotals for each of the sites, along with giving the Contact information for the second hospital in your narrative (the first one having been entered in the header). The subtotals should match what your Contact would attest to.
got it, for some reason I didn't realize I could just not put down certain experiences but yeah makes sense. I think I'll just focus on volunteering at one hospital from now onwards. thanks for your response!

Reactions: 1 users
got it, for some reason I didn't realize I could just not put down certain experiences but yeah makes sense. I think I'll just focus on volunteering at one hospital from now onwards. thanks for your response!
Good decision! depth > breadth

Reactions: 1 user